Sign in with
Your question

Windows install on a new diy system

Last response: in Windows 7
January 9, 2013 10:10:24 PM

Hi, in the next few weeks im going to make a new system for gaming and i was wondering. awhile back i bought a win 7 sp3 UPGRADE kit for an old pc and only used it once.... Could i make a clean install on a homebuilt machine with that disc and product code? I will also be installing on a usb drive for i will not be buying an optical drive. Is it possible? or will i need to get a regular oem disc
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 10:13:35 PM

first off, its an upgrade, not a full version. secondly, you've used it already.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 10:13:55 PM

Quote:
....awhile back i bought a win 7 sp3 UPGRADE kit for an old pc and only used it once....

If that one installation is still in use then no, you may not reuse the key.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 10:15:27 PM

Nedyahiske said:
Hi, in the next few weeks im going to make a new system for gaming and i was wondering. awhile back i bought a win 7 sp3 UPGRADE kit for an old pc and only used it once.... Could i make a clean install on a homebuilt machine with that disc and product code? I will also be installing on a usb drive for i will not be buying an optical drive. Is it possible? or will i need to get a regular oem disc

You said that it has been used once before? Was it activated? If so, you will probably run into a problem when you attempt to activate it and go genuine on the newly built machine. You would be able to install and everything but it will only function for 30 days unless activated before then. Upgrade discs typically only give the option of upgrading an existing install (which in this case would have been Windows Vista, typically) or doing a complete fresh installation.

You can find more information in regards to the different versions of Windows 7 HERE.
m
l
a c 411 $ Windows 7
January 10, 2013 2:36:12 AM

If the windows 7 upgrade is still on the old pc , you can't use it right now.If you take the upgrade off the old pc and can be used and activated again.
m
l
!