Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Tracking Stolen MacBook?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
January 4, 2011 12:54:47 AM

Hello,
Just for the fun of it, I thought I would see if anyone knows of a way to track a stolen MacBook Pro..I have the serial # but not much else to go on...

Best solution

a b D Laptop
January 4, 2011 4:03:59 AM
Share

Unless you had something like lojack installed on it, it's impossible from a technological point of view. However, if you have the serial, it would be a good idea to give it to the police to see if shows up somewhere like a pawn shop.
January 4, 2011 3:18:51 PM

Can't you also call Apple, prove you are the owner, and give them the serial, so if it ever gets taken in for service or someone calls tech support, they get refused service?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b D Laptop
January 4, 2011 3:22:20 PM

buwish said:
Unless you had something like lojack installed on it, it's impossible from a technological point of view. However, if you have the serial, it would be a good idea to give it to the police to see if shows up somewhere like a pawn shop.

+1 to buwish. Some systems have a lojack lime capability. If yours doesn't, you are pretty much out of luck. Report the theft and provide the info. You never know, it might actually turn up as previously suggested.
a b D Laptop
January 4, 2011 4:17:42 PM

rwpritchett said:
I've read several news stories in which people have used "Back to My Mac" to track down thieves.

Stories:
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/04/15/using-back-to-...
http://blog.sujovian.com/post/142233544/stolen-macbook-...
http://www.tuaw.com/2009/12/15/stolen-laptop-back-to-my...

I can see how this potentially would work, but only if configured in advance. I don't see how you could track down afterwards otherwise. Regardless, creative way to get the bad guys.
a b D Laptop
January 5, 2011 8:02:15 AM

mavroxur said:
Can't you also call Apple, prove you are the owner, and give them the serial, so if it ever gets taken in for service or someone calls tech support, they get refused service?


Agreed. Besides the police, give Apple a call to report it stolen so they can keep an eye out for it just in case the thief is stupid enough to have it serviced (usually they are stupid enough) by Apple.
January 5, 2011 3:34:59 PM

And here Im thinking if I relieved someone of their Mac, I would write to this forum and ask you all how could I track my *stolen* laptop and use those ideas to make sure I covered all of my bases.

Just a thought....
a b D Laptop
January 5, 2011 4:15:45 PM

vvhocare5 said:
And here Im thinking if I relieved someone of their Mac, I would write to this forum and ask you all how could I track my *stolen* laptop and use those ideas to make sure I covered all of my bases.

Just a thought....

True and I actually thought of that before I first responded. However, if someone is smart enough to come to Tom's for help, then they are likely smart enough to not get caught. Still, worth thinking about. I like the way you think.....
January 11, 2011 11:42:33 PM

Thank you for all the suggestions..we have reported the serial number to the police and they forward to the pawn shops (we also personally went to the pawn shops and gave them the info)...was just hoping that someone might have some ideas that we haven't thought of..appreciate the feedback..missing my Mac..
a b D Laptop
January 12, 2011 12:07:38 AM

robbed said:
Thank you for all the suggestions..we have reported the serial number to the police and they forward to the pawn shops (we also personally went to the pawn shops and gave them the info)...was just hoping that someone might have some ideas that we haven't thought of..appreciate the feedback..missing my Mac..

I truly hope you find it. BTW, on some insurance policies (homeowners, renters, and auto), theft is covered with the filing of a report and proof of ownership. Worth checking out. My daughter's stuff is covered by my policy while she is away at university.

Good luck!
January 30, 2012 12:13:52 AM

Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
January 30, 2012 12:13:56 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!