[Crawl] I have a little problem...

I started a new spriggan warper, who is now of experience level 3.
Right at the beginning RNG gave me a storm dragon armour (!). I have
both spellcasting and translocation skills at 3. But, for some strange
reason my Apportation spell is "bad" and Blink spell is "cruddy". Why?
I have been using only the Apportation spell and the rod of striking.
My Int is 15. I really do not understand this.

Please help me...

t. EVV
3 answers Last reply
More about crawl problem
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    esa.vesalainen@luukku.com (EVV) writes:

    >I started a new spriggan warper, who is now of experience level 3.
    >Right at the beginning RNG gave me a storm dragon armour (!). I have
    >both spellcasting and translocation skills at 3. But, for some strange
    >reason my Apportation spell is "bad" and Blink spell is "cruddy". Why?

    The storm dragon armour is heavy and hinders spellcasting.

    -Jukka
    --
    Jukka Kuusisto
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Jukka Kuusisto wrote:

    > esa.vesalainen@luukku.com (EVV) writes:
    >
    > > I started a new spriggan warper, who is now of experience level 3.
    > > Right at the beginning RNG gave me a storm dragon armour (!). I have
    > > both spellcasting and translocation skills at 3. But, for some strange
    > > reason my Apportation spell is "bad" and Blink spell is "cruddy". Why?
    >
    > The storm dragon armour is heavy and hinders spellcasting.
    >
    > -Jukka

    To fill in a bit: Armor comes in two types, light (evasion malus -1 or 0) and
    heavy. Of course, not all heavy armors are created equal. Concretely, HOW
    strongly heavy armor will hinder spellcasting depends on the armor's evasion
    malus... the higher, the worse.

    (Elven heavy armor, just BTW, is a bit inbetween and complicated, since it does
    something like not penalize spellcasting or fighting as much but still trains
    Armor instead of Dodging... SOMETHING *LIKE* that, but I'm not sure if that's
    precisely it.)

    Armor skill lessens the penalty, but since Spriggans are lousy at the Armor
    skill and superb at the Dodging skill, it's not necessarily a good idea to
    tackle the problem from that angle.

    Sad to say, I think you'd do best to lay the SD armor and all that resemble it
    aside until quite late in the game, if ever.

    Erik
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    I should have understood that, but I did not, because in v4.00beta26
    warpers have only the rod of striking as their starting main weapon, so
    I did not cast spells a lot in that game. [In v3.3 they started with an
    offensive spell (Magic Dart is the best of them).] That spriggan
    survived few levels. But I do not remember what killed it.

    I also noticed in my next two games (a DEIE and a DECo, both dead now),
    that elven ring mails do not affect spellcasting.
    Thanks you for your answers.

    t. EVV

Games Video Games