Latest XP update -- questions

1) I use ZoneAlarm and I intend to keep it as everything I've read indicates
it is better than the new firewall contained in the update. If I keep ZA,
should I also keep active the new firewall or should I disable that to avoid
any conflicts.

2) I'm confused about using the automatic update. Currently, I am usually
notified that a critical update exists and then I go and install it at my
leisure (usually within a few hours). If I do the automatic updates, is it
likely to interrupt important computer things that I might be doing (like
playing poker-<g>) and immediately d/l a new update or do I have the option
to say go ahead or say do it later?

Mel
12 answers Last reply
More about latest update questions

    According to the documentation you should only have one firewall running.

    "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    | 1) I use ZoneAlarm and I intend to keep it as everything I've read
    indicates
    | it is better than the new firewall contained in the update. If I keep ZA,
    | should I also keep active the new firewall or should I disable that to
    avoid
    | any conflicts.

    "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote:

    >1) I use ZoneAlarm and I intend to keep it as everything I've read indicates
    >it is better than the new firewall contained in the update. If I keep ZA,
    >should I also keep active the new firewall or should I disable that to avoid
    >any conflicts.

    Run one firewall only. Also, ZA and others will monitor outgoing
    /from/ your computer, the XP firewall doesn't.

    >2) I'm confused about using the automatic update. Currently, I am usually
    >notified that a critical update exists and then I go and install it at my
    >leisure (usually within a few hours). If I do the automatic updates, is it
    >likely to interrupt important computer things that I might be doing (like
    >playing poker-<g>) and immediately d/l a new update or do I have the option
    >to say go ahead or say do it later?

    The XP, and previous IIRC, Auto-update is configurable. I have
    mine set to a) notify me when critical updates are available,
    rather than automagically d/ling and installing them, and b) once
    downloaded, again wait for me to tell XP when I want the
    installation of the critical updates to be done. For me, when XP
    checks and finds critical updates are available, it merely
    announces that fact with a balloon from an icon it puts in the
    system tray. I can tell it "don't bother me now, check back in
    whatever", and the icon will just sit in the system tray as a
    reminder. When I tell it to go ahead and download, it again will
    ask, upon completion of the download, if I want to install now or
    wait. If the latter, again an icon remains in the system tray
    until I click on it and say "OK, install now".

    The auto update only addresses "critical" updates; you still need
    to use the IE6 Tools | Update Windows feature or other method to
    find out about non-critical updates and driver updates.
    --
    OJ III

    Mel;
    Some report no problems with multiple firewalls but Microsoft and
    others suggest only one firewall.

    Automatic Update occurs in the background and is not an issue for
    most.
    There are several options, choose the one that works best for you.
    Right click My Computer
    Click Properties
    Click Automatic Update tab.
    Set as desired.

    --
    Jupiter Jones
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    > 1) I use ZoneAlarm and I intend to keep it as everything I've read
    > indicates
    > it is better than the new firewall contained in the update. If I
    > keep ZA,
    > should I also keep active the new firewall or should I disable that
    > to avoid
    > any conflicts.
    >
    > 2) I'm confused about using the automatic update. Currently, I am
    > usually
    > notified that a critical update exists and then I go and install it
    > at my
    > leisure (usually within a few hours). If I do the automatic updates,
    > is it
    > likely to interrupt important computer things that I might be doing
    > (like
    > playing poker-<g>) and immediately d/l a new update or do I have the
    > option
    > to say go ahead or say do it later?
    >
    > Mel

    "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    > 1) I use ZoneAlarm and I intend to keep it as everything I've read
    > indicates
    > it is better than the new firewall contained in the update. If I keep ZA,
    > should I also keep active the new firewall or should I disable that to
    > avoid
    > any conflicts.

    The new Windows Security Center that comes with SP2 will take care of it for
    you. After installing SP2, it will scan your computer for any firewall
    software, including ZA, McAfee, Norton, etc., and only turn on the Windows
    firewall if it doesn't find another. It will also tell you if it finds
    multiple firewalls, and warn you that only one should be turned on.

    > 2) I'm confused about using the automatic update. Currently, I am usually
    > notified that a critical update exists and then I go and install it at my
    > leisure (usually within a few hours). If I do the automatic updates, is it
    > likely to interrupt important computer things that I might be doing (like
    > playing poker-<g>) and immediately d/l a new update or do I have the
    > option
    > to say go ahead or say do it later?

    After installing SP2 you are presented with a dialog that asks you to turn
    on Automatic Update, or just notify you when an update is available so you
    can decide whether or not to install it. The "Automatic" option is designed
    for the novice, which is probably the majority. I prefer to read reviews of
    each update before installing, that way I can decide if I really need it, or
    if it might cause problems with my hardware. You have to decide based on
    past experience.

    MB wrote:

    > 1) I use ZoneAlarm and I intend to keep it as everything I've read indicates
    > it is better than the new firewall contained in the update. If I keep ZA,
    > should I also keep active the new firewall or should I disable that to avoid
    > any conflicts.

    Stick with ZA

    > 2) I'm confused about using the automatic update. Currently, I am usually
    > notified that a critical update exists and then I go and install it at my
    > leisure (usually within a few hours). If I do the automatic updates, is it
    > likely to interrupt important computer things that I might be doing (like
    > playing poker-<g>) and immediately d/l a new update or do I have the option
    > to say go ahead or say do it later?

    I do not authorize anyone to update my computer without my say so each
    time, nor do I authorize anyone to charge my checking account on an
    ongoing basis (I authorize every EFT payment every month - not too
    burdensome, IMHO).

    In article <10hpt3p1f5ejqde@corp.supernews.com>, mel@prodigy.invalid.net
    says...
    > 1) I use ZoneAlarm and I intend to keep it as everything I've read indicates
    > it is better than the new firewall contained in the update. If I keep ZA,
    > should I also keep active the new firewall or should I disable that to avoid
    > any conflicts.
    >
    > 2) I'm confused about using the automatic update. Currently, I am usually
    > notified that a critical update exists and then I go and install it at my
    > leisure (usually within a few hours). If I do the automatic updates, is it
    > likely to interrupt important computer things that I might be doing (like
    > playing poker-<g>) and immediately d/l a new update or do I have the option
    > to say go ahead or say do it later?
    >
    > Mel

    You can use both firewalls - no problems with either my pc or my
    sisters.
    --
    Cheers!

    Jan

    "Jan" <myredsunfire@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:MPG.1b87303ab84d1f10989699@shawnews...

    > You can use both firewalls - no problems with either my pc or my
    > sisters.

    Uhm, you have both ICF and ZA enabled? Why?

    Jan wrote:

    > In article <10hpt3p1f5ejqde@corp.supernews.com>, mel@prodigy.invalid.net
    > says...
    > > 1) I use ZoneAlarm and I intend to keep it as everything I've read indicates
    > > it is better than the new firewall contained in the update. If I keep ZA,
    > > should I also keep active the new firewall or should I disable that to avoid
    > > any conflicts.
    > >
    > > 2) I'm confused about using the automatic update. Currently, I am usually
    > > notified that a critical update exists and then I go and install it at my
    > > leisure (usually within a few hours). If I do the automatic updates, is it
    > > likely to interrupt important computer things that I might be doing (like
    > > playing poker-<g>) and immediately d/l a new update or do I have the option
    > > to say go ahead or say do it later?
    > >
    > > Mel
    > >

    > You can use both firewalls - no problems with either my pc or my
    > sisters.

    While I can't site any references, I remember reading, frequently,
    that more than one firewall shouldn't be used.

    Notan

    "Tom" <tomwoodworth@comcast.net> writes:

    >"MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    >> 1) I use ZoneAlarm and I intend to keep it as everything I've read
    >> indicates
    >> it is better than the new firewall contained in the update. If I keep ZA,
    >> should I also keep active the new firewall or should I disable that to
    >> avoid
    >> any conflicts.

    >The new Windows Security Center that comes with SP2 will take care of it for
    >you. After installing SP2, it will scan your computer for any firewall
    >software, including ZA, McAfee, Norton, etc., and only turn on the Windows
    >firewall if it doesn't find another. It will also tell you if it finds
    >multiple firewalls, and warn you that only one should be turned on.

    Not quite...the problem is that the third-party AV or firewall has to
    be designed to use a specific MS-defined interface to essentially
    register its presence. In my shop, for example, Zone Integrity 4.5.070
    is not recognized by Security Center, and neither is Symantic Antivirus 8.
    We're in the process of moving to Zone Flex (a centrally-managed firewall
    product) which will correctly register itself, and SAV9, which also
    makes its presence known to the Security Center.

    I have no experience with retail versions of either Norton AV or Zone
    so I can't comment on how well they interact with the Security Center.

    Joe Morris

    "Joe Morris" <jcmorris@mitre.org> wrote in message
    > "Tom" <tomwoodworth@comcast.net> writes:
    >
    >>"MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
    >>> 1) I use ZoneAlarm and I intend to keep it as everything I've read
    >>> indicates
    >>> it is better than the new firewall contained in the update. If I keep
    >>> ZA,
    >>> should I also keep active the new firewall or should I disable that to
    >>> avoid
    >>> any conflicts.
    >
    >>The new Windows Security Center that comes with SP2 will take care of it
    >>for
    >>you. After installing SP2, it will scan your computer for any firewall
    >>software, including ZA, McAfee, Norton, etc., and only turn on the Windows
    >>firewall if it doesn't find another. It will also tell you if it finds
    >>multiple firewalls, and warn you that only one should be turned on.
    >
    > Not quite...the problem is that the third-party AV or firewall has to
    > be designed to use a specific MS-defined interface to essentially
    > register its presence. In my shop, for example, Zone Integrity 4.5.070
    > is not recognized by Security Center, and neither is Symantic Antivirus 8.
    > We're in the process of moving to Zone Flex (a centrally-managed firewall
    > product) which will correctly register itself, and SAV9, which also
    > makes its presence known to the Security Center.
    >
    > I have no experience with retail versions of either Norton AV or Zone
    > so I can't comment on how well they interact with the Security Center.
    >
    > Joe Morris

    Computer Associates e-Trust EZ antivirus is properly recognized by SP2
    security center, as a side note.

    Stew

    yes, and that is what I use - courtesy of SBC/Yahoo.

    > Computer Associates e-Trust EZ antivirus is properly recognized by SP2
    > security center, as a side note.
    >

    > Stew

    >> 1) I use ZoneAlarm and I intend to keep it as everything I've read
    >> indicates
    it is better than the new firewall contained in the update. If I keep ZA,
    should I also keep active the new firewall or should I disable that to avoid
    any conflicts.

    MB:

    I would leave the new SP2 firewall enabled.

    This computer is running Win XP Pro SP2 with three firewalls at the same
    time:
    Windows Firewall: provides bootup protection and is stateful (can
    dynamically block source address spoofing).
    ZA free v5.1.011: provides excellent control over which apps can use TCP/IP.
    BlackIce v3.6: monitors for suspicious activity.

    I do this because all firewalls are not the same, they can use different
    technologies.

Dell Firewalls Windows XP Computers