My friend is cooling his processor with a housefan

G

Truth

He has a Athlon 500 and no heatsink on the processor

but he has a big fan not huge one but one for a house room fan aimed inside at the processor
keeps it ok cool
temp is like 55celcius but it works

G

If what your saying is true, then your friend could probably get alot more out of that processor.

Put a $20 Heat Sink/Fan on it, and it'll probably make a comfortable 650MHz. What motherboard is it plugged into ??

'your brain is not meant to be a big wet paperweight'
Clonan, the Cyberian<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by clonan on 03/06/01 00:32 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

when I get my tbird 800 I am going to run at 150mhz fsb. My 15in fan will help me reach that ;)

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
a tbird would never run at that, an old classic althon if you're lucky might.

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone would ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I did it on my 1Ghz t-bird it really works, I don't need a $70 fhs, just a cheap $10 fan from the $.99 store.

everybody should try this at least once, go ahead try it! live it up!!!

"Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs flat, it truly is a fast chip!"

KAOS

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2001
A house fan??? Cooling it to 55 degrees?
I'd have thought you could get a better temperature than that!
But i suppose if it has no heat sink that'd be about right
You could run that pretty high if you pu a good heat sink and fan on it, but kept the big fan there. Depends what your mobo will let you do

"In a world of order, Kaos rules"

steinbr

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2001
Hey you, look at h-oda.com rankings!
Some japanese guys runs athlons at 175 MHZ FSB, pushing the clock at more than 2000 mhz , just with a Pll modification on the motherboard.

G

AmdMeltdown says:
I did it on my 1Ghz t-bird it really works, I don't need a $70 fhs, just a cheap $10 fan from the $.99 store. everybody should try this at least once, go ahead try it! live it up!!!
Some people may think AmdMeltdown was serious. Please do not do this. Your processor will most likely die.

to AmdMeldown: Although most people will realise that you were joking, some newcomers may not. Perhaps you should include a smilie or some indication that you weren't serious next time.

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hehe, my friend is doing this too. Except his is a K6-2 450 with a heatsink and fan. He still needs a 4 inch fan to cool the system off enough for it to run stable!

All Your Base Are Belong To Us!!

Shocwavez

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
COOL!
Which .99$ store did you go to?
I want one!
should I swivel it or keep it pointed on the CPU.
I know! If you're really thrifty you can sit there and blow on the CPU while using your PC. Hold an Ice cube between your mouth and the CPU for MAXIMUM COOLING!
(this is a parody. do not really do this folks!)

:tongue: <font color=green> I LOVE INTEL. It tastes like chicken </font color=green>

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
dude! great Idea! I just tried that and it works! my t-bird is at 30c with the fan and icecube solution!

cool bro, thanks!

"Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs flat, it truly is a fast chip!"

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
yeah. have fun spending $5000 on a supercooling system and lowering the multiplier to like 5.0x

the highest you will go without lowering multiplier on a TBIrd (with air cooling) is like 106. then you have to lower multiplier.

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone would ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s