[GEARHEAD]any players out there?

Was just wondering if anybody was playing this (pretty good looking)
roguelike out there? I wonder if there is any forum/newsgroup/irc chan
where discussions about it are going on. (Well...i tought this newsgroup
would be where discussion goes on about it but apparently i was wrong.)

Artagas wrote:
> Was just wondering if anybody was playing this (pretty good looking)

I tried it several versions ago, but I was kinda clueless on what to do.
With a bit more patience it might be really interesting, guess I should
give it another try sooner or later. But to be honest, I like Deadcold
more, even though it is a bit limited in its current state. *hint*

> roguelike out there? I wonder if there is any forum/newsgroup/irc chan
> where discussions about it are going on. (Well...i tought this newsgroup
> would be where discussion goes on about it but apparently i was wrong.)

I don't think there is any better place than this group. Not that I know
for sure, though...

Adrien Beau wrote:
> On dimanche 2 Janvier 2005 20:54, Artagas wrote:
> >
> > Was just wondering if anybody was playing this (pretty good
> > looking) roguelike out there?
>
> Yup.

Same here, I did awhile ago.

> > I wonder if there is any forum/newsgroup/irc chan where
> > discussions about it are going on.
>
> Have a look at the gearhead_dev Yahoo! group.
>
> > (Well...i tought this newsgroup would be where discussion goes
> > on about it but apparently i was wrong.)
>
> As far as Usenet goes, this group is the appropriate place to
> discuss GearHead. But if nobody asks questions, nobody answers
> questions, of course.

Small question for you. Why would a rougelike make an ugly graphics
vertion work in win XP and have the only ascii be dos. I cant get the
thing to run, i get some file request when i try dosbox on it(and like
50 other dos things.)

--
spam.bucket@free.fr
You have my name and my hostname: you can mail me.

[cut]

> Small question for you. Why would a rougelike make an ugly graphics
> vertion work in win XP and have the only ascii be dos. I cant get the
> thing to run, i get some file request when i try dosbox on it(and like
> 50 other dos things.)

Hmm. Weird. Both runs for me under XP. are you sure you unzipped the
right file? (gh-0901-doswin.zip 1417267)

Artagas wrote:
> [cut]
> >
> > Small question for you. Why would a rougelike make an ugly graphics
> > vertion work in win XP and have the only ascii be dos. I cant get
the
> > thing to run, i get some file request when i try dosbox on it(and
like
> > 50 other dos things.)
> >
> Hmm. Weird. Both runs for me under XP. are you sure you unzipped
the
> right file? (gh-0901-doswin.zip 1417267)

yes, That all is right. are you using xp pro? i think that works better
with dos then home, which is what I have(i use dosbox for it though, it
does nothing other then an error if i try to use it normally.

> yes, That all is right. are you using xp pro? i think that works better
> with dos then home, which is what I have(i use dosbox for it though, it
> does nothing other then an error if i try to use it normally.

Yes, XP pro. That might be the explanation. I use dosbox for couple of
old games i have, but i doubt it would run gearhead...it is not listed
as either compatible or non-compatible on their website.
(One could mail them and beg for making it work, but than if gearhead
developement is moving towards running under Windows anyhow, it'd make
little sense).

Artagas <joodaniataxelerodothu@figure.for.yourself> wrote in news:crdvab
$f4e$1@namru.matavnet.hu:
> Yes, XP pro. That might be the explanation. I use dosbox for couple of
> old games i have, but i doubt it would run gearhead...it is not listed
> as either compatible or non-compatible on their website.
> (One could mail them and beg for making it work, but than if gearhead
> developement is moving towards running under Windows anyhow, it'd make
> little sense).

Did you make sure to unzip it preserving directory structure? It works fine
for me under XP Pro, and apparnetly that's a relatively common problem.

> Did you make sure to unzip it preserving directory structure? It works fine
> for me under XP Pro, and apparnetly that's a relatively common problem.

That is the point! It does run under Pro, but not under the home edition
according to the gentleman to whom i was replying. I am not the one who
is having a problem running Gearhead, he is.

On lundi 3 Janvier 2005 13:32, Eurtek@gmail.com wrote:

> Small question for you. Why would a rougelike make an ugly
> graphics vertion work in win XP and have the only ascii be dos.

The ASCII version works fine under Windows. Just double-click
on the executable, as usual. (I just tried doswin 0.901, sdlwin
0.901, doswin 0.902, sdlwin 0.902: everything works fine.)

> I cant get the thing to run, i get some file request when i try
> dosbox on it(and like 50 other dos things.)

Why would you want to use dosbox to run it? Dosbox is for old
games that require a 386 and an old DOS version!

--

Adrien Beau wrote:
> On lundi 3 Janvier 2005 13:32, Eurtek@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > Small question for you. Why would a rougelike make an ugly
> > graphics vertion work in win XP and have the only ascii be dos.
>
> The ASCII version works fine under Windows. Just double-click
> on the executable, as usual. (I just tried doswin 0.901, sdlwin
> 0.901, doswin 0.902, sdlwin 0.902: everything works fine.)

"C:\{blah blah}\arena.exe
C:\Windows\System31\Autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for
running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to
terminare the application."

> > I cant get the thing to run, i get some file request when i try
> > dosbox on it(and like 50 other dos things.)
>
> Why would you want to use dosbox to run it? Dosbox is for old
> games that require a 386 and an old DOS version!

On XP home, its needed for everything dos. from COlonization to MAX to
Masters of magic and Orion, it all needs dosbox.

On vendredi 7 Janvier 2005 13:34, Eurtek@gmail.com wrote:

>> The ASCII version works fine under Windows. Just double-click
>> on the executable, as usual. (I just tried doswin 0.901, sdlwin
>> 0.901, doswin 0.902, sdlwin 0.902: everything works fine.)
>>

> "C:\{blah blah}\arena.exe
> C:\Windows\System31\Autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable
> for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose
> 'Close' to terminare the application."

GearHead is fine, your computer is messed up. I searched on Google
and did not find an obvious solution to your problem. (Search for
"Autoexec.nt" and you'll find plenty of people with the same
problem as yours.)

>> Why would you want to use dosbox to run it? Dosbox is for old
>> games that require a 386 and an old DOS version!
>
> On XP home, its needed for everything dos. from COlonization to
> MAX to Masters of magic and Orion, it all needs dosbox.

These are old games that require a slow processor and an old DOS
version. Just what Dosbox provides, indeed. GearHead is not an
old game, does not require a slow processor and an old DOS
version. Gearhead does not need Dosbox.

--

On vendredi 7 Janvier 2005 08:00, Adrian Fänger wrote:

> Maybe because the dos-console under XP is ugly.

You can change the font, you can change the size, you can change
the color, you may even switch to full screen. What else do you
need?!

--

Adrien Beau wrote:
> On vendredi 7 Janvier 2005 13:34, Eurtek@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> >> The ASCII version works fine under Windows. Just double-click
> >> on the executable, as usual. (I just tried doswin 0.901, sdlwin
> >> 0.901, doswin 0.902, sdlwin 0.902: everything works fine.)
> >>

> > "C:\{blah blah}\arena.exe
> > C:\Windows\System31\Autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable
> > for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose
> > 'Close' to terminare the application."
>
> GearHead is fine, your computer is messed up. I searched on Google
> and did not find an obvious solution to your problem. (Search for
> "Autoexec.nt" and you'll find plenty of people with the same
> problem as yours.)

Yeah, they all have XP home. the solution is go to windows 98, use
dosbox, or try to coax game makers to make a windows vertion. The fact
that there is one with... um... rougelike quality graphics means that
It should not be that hard to make it into a win-Ascii, like the ADoMs
Windows versions. I dont know this first hand, im just saying, i
couldnt imagine it being that out of the way, consitterring that in the
future DOS will die.

> >> Why would you want to use dosbox to run it? Dosbox is for old
> >> games that require a 386 and an old DOS version!
> >
> > On XP home, its needed for everything dos. from COlonization to
> > MAX to Masters of magic and Orion, it all needs dosbox.
>
> These are old games that require a slow processor and an old DOS
> version. Just what Dosbox provides, indeed. GearHead is not an
> old game, does not require a slow processor and an old DOS
> version. Gearhead does not need Dosbox.

MAX and COlonization are half Windows, half dos. They are using the
latest form of dos that mattered. and this isnt a runtime 200
error(speed related), this is a WINDOWS XP HOME DOES NOT SUPPORT DOS IN
ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM EXCEPT FOR THE FRICKEN CONSOULE! error