[Crawl] An announcement from the Department of Cheap Tactics

But only for fighter-mages. Unlike pure fighters (who usually can't even cast
it) and pure mages (who can't afford to stand next to anything remotely
dangerous), a fighter-mage can cast it in a corridor and, if an opponent is
afraid of fire, they can plus away with a ranged attack, and, if an opponent is
not afraid of fire, they can plug away as the silly fool stands in the flame
and gets deep fried round after round.

Still lots of restrictions on its use, of course, but so powerful in the
situations where it CAN be used that it almost feels like cheating. :)

Erik

On 5 Jan 2005 20:32:31 GMT, "Erik Piper" <efrniokr@sdky.cz> wrote:

>But only for fighter-mages. Unlike pure fighters (who usually can't even cast
>it) and pure mages (who can't afford to stand next to anything remotely
>dangerous), a fighter-mage can cast it in a corridor and, if an opponent is
>afraid of fire, they can plus away with a ranged attack, and, if an opponent is
>not afraid of fire, they can plug away as the silly fool stands in the flame
>and gets deep fried round after round.
>
>Still lots of restrictions on its use, of course, but so powerful in the
>situations where it CAN be used that it almost feels like cheating. :)

Uh, huh. Now, those who can figure out what you are talking about
already know they can do this and the rest have no idea what you're
suggesting using.

R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com

bork bork bork R. Dan Henry bork 6:13:50 AM bork 1/6/2005 bork bork:

> > But only for fighter-mages. Unlike pure fighters (who usually can't even
> > cast it) and pure mages (who can't afford to stand next to anything
> > remotely dangerous), a fighter-mage can cast it in a corridor and, if an
> > opponent is afraid of fire, they can plus away with a ranged attack, and,
> > if an opponent is not afraid of fire, they can plug away as the silly
> > fool stands in the flame and gets deep fried round after round.
> >
> > Still lots of restrictions on its use, of course, but so powerful in the
> > situations where it CAN be used that it almost feels like cheating. :)
>
> Uh, huh. Now, those who can figure out what you are talking about
> already know they can do this and the rest have no idea what you're
> suggesting using.
>
> R. Dan Henry
> danhenry@inreach.com

:-O

It would have helped if I hadn't left out the name of the spell in question.
It's...

Conjure Flame.

How I managed to leave or edit out that particular piece of information, I
have NO clue.

Sorry.

Erik

Erik Piper wrote:

> But only for fighter-mages. Unlike pure fighters (who usually can't even cast
> it) and pure mages (who can't afford to stand next to anything remotely
> dangerous), a fighter-mage can cast it in a corridor and, if an opponent is
> afraid of fire, they can plus away with a ranged attack, and, if an opponent is
> not afraid of fire, they can plug away as the silly fool stands in the flame
> and gets deep fried round after round.
>
> Still lots of restrictions on its use, of course, but so powerful in the
> situations where it CAN be used that it almost feels like cheating. :)

This is why I've always wanted to get a crusader up to high level, since
I can see a real use for ring of flames when you can