[Crawl] Sacrificing Objects?

I've searched and searched...

How does one sacrifice a valuable object?
I have tried placing spellbooks on Trog's
altar (thinking he would like that) in the
Ecumenical Temple and then 'p'raying.
Nothing happens. Tried 'D'isecting and
it gives me a message that nothing suitable
is located there. Can you not use the
Ecumenical Temple for such purposes?

Secondly, what *is* considered 'valuable'?

I understand how praying/corpse sacrificing
works in general so far, though...

Trog hates spellcasters, so it's somewhat obvious that he didn't accept
the spell book.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/lava/crawl/crawl-gods-chart.html
has some spoilers on what gods like/dislike. All the gods like it when
you sac. items on their alter, though.

Anyways, in order to sac. a item, you have to drop the item DIRECTLY ON
the tile where the alter is located, and then pray. It wont work if
you're on the tile next to the alter. What is considered "Valuable" by
Crawl is probably rare or unique items; A book of Unlife may be
considered valuable, as would a Artifact armor (though it'll do you
more good to wear the artifact then sac. it...)
As well, 'D'isecting objects only works on Corpses, at which point
you'll get some chunks of meat to eat. Sac.ing a corpse can be done in
the field by praying and then 'D'isecting the body.

necromancer...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Trog hates spellcasters, so it's somewhat obvious that he didn't
accept
> the spell book.

Well, that I knew. I figured Trog would
like me sacrificing a spellbook so
*others* cannot use it.

Thanks for your help. I was doing the
right thing with the wrong object.

necromancer...@hotmail.com: if you were
e-mailed this message I now know what
sorry...

On 11 Jan 2005 14:04:05 -0800, "RecRanger" <spamphobia@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Thanks for your help. I was doing the
>right thing with the wrong object.

Actually, no. Trog's altar is only useful for converting. To please
Trog pray before killing, every time. This dedicates the kill to him.
'D'issecting a corpse while praying sacrifices it Trog. He likes that,
too. Bloody slaughter good, spell magic bad. That's Trog simple creed.
And Trog likes simple creed. Complex religious creeds make Trog's head
hurt! Kill complex priests! Kill complex gods! Oh, heck, just kill
everybody!

R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 00:32:12 -0800, R. Dan Henry wrote:

>Actually, no. Trog's altar is only useful for converting. To please
>Trog pray before killing, every time. This dedicates the kill to him.
>'D'issecting a corpse while praying sacrifices it Trog. He likes that,
>too. Bloody slaughter good, spell magic bad. That's Trog simple creed.
>And Trog likes simple creed. Complex religious creeds make Trog's head
>hurt! Kill complex priests! Kill complex gods! Oh, heck, just kill
>everybody!

Any other gods that refuse to take items? I'll update the page.

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 15:27:05 GMT, lava@kolumbus.fi (Lauri Vallo)
wrote:

>On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 00:32:12 -0800, R. Dan Henry wrote:
>
>>Actually, no. Trog's altar is only useful for converting. To please
>>Trog pray before killing, every time. This dedicates the kill to him.
>>'D'issecting a corpse while praying sacrifices it Trog. He likes that,
>>too. Bloody slaughter good, spell magic bad. That's Trog simple creed.
>>And Trog likes simple creed. Complex religious creeds make Trog's head
>>hurt! Kill complex priests! Kill complex gods! Oh, heck, just kill
>>everybody!
>
>Any other gods that refuse to take items? I'll update the page.

AFAIK, the only gods that care about objects on their altars are: Zin,
Kikubaaqudgha (corpses only), Okawaru, Makhleb, Sif Muna, Nemelex
Xobeh, and Elyvilon (weapons/ammo only). This is from religion
spoilers I got from www.swallowtail.org/crawl -- and in the cases of
Okawaru and Makhleb, at least, it is hardly worthwhile sacrifices on
altars, unless you find one in the Mines or something, as you'll do
better just praying and killing.

R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com

TRENDING THREADS