Window 7 monitor 1680x1050 and 1920x1080 resolution fix is here

Status
Not open for further replies.

bird391

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
1680x1050 or 1920x1080 Windows 7 and Nvidia screen resolution fix

OK, I have read litteraly dozens and dozens of forum posts on the Windows 7 64bit and Nvidia screen resolution problem. I have noticed 1 common problem on all the posts. Windows 7 does not recognize 75% of LCD widescreen monitors native resolutions regardless of monitor brand. I've come to the conclusion that its just a software/driver compatability problem that hasn't been fixed yet by nvidia or windows.

What happened in my case was I went from Running Windows xp 64bit (which ran perfectly stable at all my 47"LCD TV's (hdmi cable) and my 21.6" LCD monitors (vga cable) native resolutions. After a FRESH install of Window 7 Ultimate Retail my screen resolutions went to crap with all the same Hardware installed.

So here is the solution and my Computer specs.

Specs

OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit RTM (Retail)
Ram - OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
Hard Drive - Seagate 80GB 7200 + 3 additional 500g seagate drives
PSU - Sunbeam PSU-HUSH680-US-BL 680W
GPU - GeForce 8400gs (running at stock speeds)
CPU AMD 7750 Kuma Black Edition 2.7 (overclocked to 3.1)
Monitor - 21.6 Soyo (this is irrelavent however because lots of monitor brands are being affected by this)
Motherboard - ASUS M3N78-VM

Ok, Now the Solution.. There are 2 possible problems you might be having. If Windows 7 is properly recognizing your monitors resolutions but giving you a black screen when you set them at 1650x1050 or 1920x1080 then your solution is easy. Just download an older version of the Nvidia drivers found here...This driver works

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_ [...] _whql.html

Its a Vista 64 bit driver but it will work I promise.

If your problem is that Windows 7 Doesn't recognize all the resolutions your monitor offers then your FIX is a little more complicated. First thing you wanna do is download the nvidia driver I listed above and save it. don't install it yet. Next thing you wanna do is download a WORKING COPY of Powerstrip. In the powertrip description it doesn't say much about Nvidia products but it works!!!! You can google Powerstrip download for different versions but the link below worked for me.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/PowerS [...] d-169.html

What powerstrip does is allow you to make a custom driver for your Monitor allowing windows and Nvidia to recognize you true monitor resolutions. (ONLY US POWERSTRIP IF ALL YOUR MONITORS RESOLUTIONS ARE NOT BEING RECOGNIZED BY WINDOWS 7 AND YOUR NVIDIA SOFTWARE DRIVERS.

Install Powerstrip and follow these instructions...

1. Make your custom drivers.
a. open powerstrip and go to options then monitor information
b. then on bottom left select write custom monitor driver
c. Next to max resolution put the maximun resolution that your monior suppports.
d. Save the file in a place easy to find and name it.

2. Install your custom driver.
a. go to my computer right click
b . go to properties
c. go to devise manager
d. monitors
c. Your monitor might be listed but doubtful. it is more than likely listed as generic non pnp devise
d. right click generic non pnp or your monitor if listed.
e. go to properties
f. click driver tab
g. click update driver
h. browse my computer for software
i. let me pick from a list of devise drivers on my computer
j. click on have disk
k. browse to where ever you stored your custom made driver

l. click ok
m. install driver.
n. restart computer.

Now when you computer reboots check and see if anymore resolutions are available for you. If they are you've done it. However, if they are available to you but Windows 7 goes black or won't allow you to use them then you need to install The older version of Nvivia drivers i talked about earlier.

After you have done all this your computers resolutions should be looking great. If you have any questions let me know. Also feel free to spread the word about this is it is a huge problem that lots of people are having.

Jason

bird391

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Hey Marcellis22, For those us who are special, we have windows 7 retail already because some someone loves us. Go phuck yourself and screw around on some other forum.

bird391

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009

I'm kinda laughing at myself right now because I did all that work and I just went on Newegg and purchased a GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked GPU. So hopefully it will install nice and easy with no hitches. Just out of curiosity what are your thoughts on the 200 series cards? I read reviews and researched the differences on the 260 and 275. I decided that the 260 would suit me fine since I'm not a hard core gamer. I'm mostly gonna use it for Bluray and hd video.

bizilux

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
THANKS THANKS and once again THANKS :D

this solved my problem, had to use that program but i got it working!

was quite annoing to play games on 1600*1024 because resolution was just not right and so the picture looked a bit silly

thanks again

equipojesus

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
My problem is a bit more complicated... Win 7 recognizes my 22" as 1680x1050 however some games don't recognize this at all. Also games like Portal and FEAR 2 flicker very badly when attempting to play.

Another problem occurs during Fallout 3.. I get HORRIBLE lag anytime I shoot or move around.

I have two 260 core 216 in SLI, i7 920, 6GB RAM, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Antec 1200, Corsair 1000watt and nothing is overclocked.

Any Help???

Vali

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
I think I have the f* stupidest problem here, everything worked fine for a couple of months, I played a bunch of games at 1920x1080 and since THIS MORNING windows decided it was all too much and stopped showing the 1920x1080 resolution; it set up for 1024 rez and maximum rez is 1600x1200 ... which is not even proportonal with my monitor's rezolution so everything looks stretched.
Any ideas ?

PS I have a Saphire Radeon 4890 1GB ( on a Phenom II, 8 GB RAM ... if it's of any consequence)

G

I have Windows 7 build 7600 and GeeForce 9800GT 512MB (latest nvidia driver)!
LG Wide monitor 22inch with native resolution: 1920x1080.
and that is only resolution that works... al other will just small picture in center of screen with black border! games..to! Only Warcraft III work in any resolution! :S
anyone knows what is the problem and how to fix it???

henry hsieh

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Mr. Jason, i just had a new 21.5" Acer monitor, but it doesn't work right on my Windows XP, due to its resolution problems. The Acer monitory requires the resolution set as 1920X1080 but my system Resolution only 1024 x 768 x 60 hertz, please help me how could i solve this problem.
thank you very much,
henry

G

when you reboot press f2 for setup and change there your video card memorey to a higher amount, this worked for me.

G

yeahh okayy your talking computer talk, you seeem to know what you doing, but can you help me out in simipler forms?
i have a dell inspiron 1100 and i have a 13" screen i think. and i had bad programs on my computer, so i got rid of the old XP and excited about windows but its already frustrating me. first i had a small picture and the picture was great but it was small and surounded by black. So i made it bigger to fill my screeen but the picture is grainey. And its just a mess
PLEASEEEE HELLPP ! I FINALLLY GET THE COMPUTER I WANT AND ITS STILL DRIVING ME CRAZYY. JUSTT HELP ME WITH THISS MADNESS!
I would really appreciate it<333333

finchy1978

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
Ok I may have a fix. My problem much the same as most above. I have Win 7 X64 with nvidia Quadro card and HP L2045W lcd monitor with native res of 1680x1050 connected by VGA cable. Everything was working fine then suddenly windows / nvidia didn't recognise my monitor as HP reset it back to Generic Non PNP and changed the resolution down which made it quite blurry. Spent all of yesterday trying everything including the add resolutions proposed above. I install latest drivers for nvidia and the monitor but made no difference at all. The fix for me was simple. I unplugged the VGA cable and then opened the nvidia Control panel (this only displayed the laptop display as expected) and then plugged the cable back in. The screen went blank for a second and then the nvida control panel popped back up now showing the eternal monitor as HP L2045W and set to it's native resolution. I can't believe it was this simple. BTW I had already tried unplugging the cable and restarting and plugging back in but this didn't work. It would seem having the nvida control panel open at the time was necessary. With any luck this would also work with the win 7 display resolution screen in much the same way. Help this helps.

Sage53

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
Jason, thank you, thank you, thank you! I was SO FRUSTRATED trying to figure out why my resolution choices did not include the 1920 x 1080 especially since I am working on a new 64 bit Windows 7 operating system. Thanks to your amazing knowledge and awesom instructions which were so CLEAR and PRECISE, my screen is now a SHARP 1920 x 1080 resolution instead of a fuzzy 1280 x 720! I am so happy that you took the time to post this.
Caroline

tjpines

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Dear Jason,

After banging my head against the wall for hours trying to get my new Windows 7 system (with NVIDIA ION graphics) to output 1366 x 768 display resolution (native for my Sharp 32" LCD TV) despite the maximum of 1280 x 768 that Windows would allow (using the generic PnP monitor driver), I was lucky enough to find your post.

I followed your excellent step-by-step instructions. After rebooting, there was one additional step I had to do: I opened the NVIDIA control panel and created a custom resolution of 1366 x 768 -- and here's an important thing: with timing set to DMT (as Automatic timing parameters resulted in a video signal that was not supported by the TV). I then was able to set this display resolution, and got a perfect image on the screen.

Many, many thanks for posting the solution. I really appreciate your generous efforts.

-- TJ Pines

mooodyone

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
:bounce: :bounce:

you solved my problem thanks thanks thanks i cant stop :love:

i used PowerStrip and make driver as i need and it work :bounce:

but there is something :sweat:

resolution of my tv good now with that new driver in extend mode but when i choose duplicate mode it make screen + my tv on resolution 1440 X 900 becouse i want my screen still at 1440 X 900 and my tv at 1920 X 1080 in duplicate mode

help me please
thanks for your instruction

BigBadBruce

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
Hi Jason,

I tried your solution, but when I used PowerStrip it created an .inf file which when used did not find a compatible driver in it.

I am using NVIDIA GeForce G105M driver on a ASUS notebook UX50V. Originally had Vista 64bit OS and was upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit. The notebook's video worked fine for a month or so the resolution was fine. Then I started having the black screen problem and I am unable to correctly set the resolution above 1024 x 768 and it should be 1366 x 768. I know that is a strange resolution, but that is what it was prior to the OS upgrade.

According to NVIDIA we are running the original driver from 4/09 (notebook purchased 9/09). Version 7.15.11.8577 Dated: 4/17/09.

I don't understand why the resolution worked fine and contined for about a month, then changed. Since I am already running the correct driver version, do you have any other ideas?

Thanks,
Bruce

chaosmonger

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
I have the same problem but cant solve...
I have a Sony Bravia 32'' TV LCD, I used it as my monitor for 2 years with WinXP and Nvidia 9800GT with VGA cable, setting up manually the resolution of 1920x1080.
Today I upgrade my operative system to Windows 7 and I CANT set my resolution to 1920x1080 (with vga). It always said "dont support more than 1360x768"... But with WinXP everything were fine...
I cant download the old driver on your link (the url is not correct...). I try to use Powerstrip, creating a fake driver with a resolution of 1920x1080, but when I reboot the nvidia control panel and windows settings give me only 1360x768 at maximum....
PLEASE HELP ME!!!

(sorry for my bad english, I'm italian)

Status
Not open for further replies.