Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 indexing service

Last response: in Windows 7
May 4, 2010 8:01:07 AM

Hi all. How do I configure Windows 7 indexing service to run separately for each user on the local computer? I have 3 user accounts and everyone that is in the administrator group will search each others files and folders when doing a search via the start menu.
I don't want to browse the other users mail for an example. That's a bit to private.
Is there a way of customize the indexing service so all user accounts only search their own files and folders without changing me/them from administrators to "standard user"?
a b $ Windows 7
May 4, 2010 8:08:42 AM

I think you've answered your own question. By making all the users Administrators you have given them access to each other's private information. Whatever you do to prevent this they would be able to easily undo. So I think the answer to your question is "No, you can't stop Administrators accessing other users' private information".

Stick to one Administrator and make the others ordinary users. Why do they need to be Administrators?
m
l
May 4, 2010 9:10:04 AM

Administrators have the ability to install applications and plugins, updates e.t.c.

This was not the case in XP. No one, including administrators, had access to other administrators files and folders in the search function.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
May 4, 2010 11:31:21 AM

What you really need is the equivalent of the "Power Users" group in XP, but I'm afraid this doesn't exist in the "Home" editions of Windows 7. I guess Microsoft see these editions as being aimed at single users, or situations where one user will install programs and updates and the rest are just "Standard Users".

The Professional versions do allow you to control users more closely.
m
l
May 4, 2010 11:33:47 AM

In fact I do have the Professional version of Win7. How do I modify this permission?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 4, 2010 12:20:38 PM

As I've only got the Home edition of Windows 7 I can't swear to this, but I have read that the Pwer Users group still exists in the Professional versions. You control membership of groups following this procedure. Try creating a test user who is a member of the Power Users group, rather than an Administrator, and see if that fits your requirements.
m
l
May 4, 2010 1:25:07 PM

Thank You. Great tip.
m
l
!