[DoomRL] YAVP, kind of...

Last response: in Video Games
January 15, 2005 11:07:58 PM

DoomRL (v.0.9.5 (beta)) roguelike post-mortem character dump

Some Marine, level 5 soldier, sacrificed himself to kill the Cyberdemon
on level 20 of the Phobos base.
He survived 72229 turns and scored 9351 points.
He found the Phobos Arena.
He ventured into the Halls of Carnage.

Statistics
Health -211/50 Experience 11927/5
ToHit +4 ToDmg Ranged +2 ToDmg Melee +2

Traits:
Son of a bitch (Level 2)
Eagle Eye (Level 2)
Cateye (Level 1)

Equipment

[a] [ Armor ] nothing
[ Weapon ] nothing
[c] [ Boots ] nothing

Inventory

Kills

18 former humans
26 former human seregants
13 former human capitans
17 imps
35 demons
34 lost souls
15 cacodemons
7 barons of hell

Looks a little weird, doesn't it? As much as I'd like to claim I beat
the game
without using any items at all, that's not the case. Instead, I
activated the
thermonuclear bomb as soon as I realized the Cyberdemon was going to blow me
to smithereens. Well, that he did, but afterwards the bomb went up and I won
the game, posthumously I suppose. :)  This is the mortem.txt I got out of it.

As a result, this character actually has two entries in the hall of fame:
16251 - Some Marine (L:5), killed by a Cyberdemon on L20.
14026 - Some Marine (L:5), won by sacrifice on L20.

I know I "missed" some of the special levels. This is because I was
afraid I'd
get my butt handed to me when I found the stairs pretty early on, so I
skipped
them. :p

Overall this was pretty fun. In some regards I found it more difficult
than the
"real game", but that's not such a bad thing I suppose. :)

More about : doomrl yavp kind

Anonymous
January 16, 2005 8:49:42 PM

MMAgCh wrote:
> Looks a little weird, doesn't it? As much as I'd like to claim I beat
> the game
> without using any items at all, that's not the case.

You ARE kidding, right? Hell!!! This seems IMPOSSIBLE!

> Instead, I
> activated the
> thermonuclear bomb as soon as I realized the Cyberdemon was going to
> blow me to smithereens.

So you DID have a nuke with yourself :-). Was it the only thing you picked
up?

regards,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 10:53:01 PM

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 17:49:42 +0100, "Kornel Kisielewicz"
<kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> wrote:

>MMAgCh wrote:
>> Looks a little weird, doesn't it? As much as I'd like to claim I beat
>> the game
>> without using any items at all, that's not the case.
>
>You ARE kidding, right? Hell!!! This seems IMPOSSIBLE!

He's kidding that it wasn't the case? You think he *did* win with no
items? I thought he was just joking about the empty inventory, which I
assumed was vaporized by the nuke.

R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com
January 17, 2005 3:58:24 PM

R. Dan Henry wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 17:49:42 +0100, "Kornel Kisielewicz"
> <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> wrote:
>
>> MMAgCh wrote:
>>> Looks a little weird, doesn't it? As much as I'd like to claim I
>>> beat the game
>>> without using any items at all, that's not the case.
>>
>> You ARE kidding, right? Hell!!! This seems IMPOSSIBLE!
>
> He's kidding that it wasn't the case? You think he *did* win with no
> items? I thought he was just joking about the empty inventory, which I
> assumed was vaporized by the nuke.

He seems serious, and the Nuke doesn't touch your equipment... I know that
095 was easy, but this is ridiculous :D

regards,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 7:19:29 PM

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:

>R. Dan Henry wrote:
>

>>On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 17:49:42 +0100, "Kornel Kisielewicz"
>><kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> wrote:

>>>You ARE kidding, right? Hell!!! This seems IMPOSSIBLE!
>>>

>>He's kidding that it wasn't the case? You think he *did* win with no
>>items? I thought he was just joking about the empty inventory, which I
>>assumed was vaporized by the nuke.
>>

>He seems serious, and the Nuke doesn't touch your equipment... I know that
>095 was easy, but this is ridiculous :D

No, R. Dan Henry was quite right - I was joking. :)

Though I must admit it's tempting to try and win the game "naked", a few
ventures into DoomRL 0.9.6 have convinced me not to give that a shot
anytime soon. :)
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 7:33:36 PM

MMAgCh wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>> He seems serious, and the Nuke doesn't touch your equipment... I
>> know that 095 was easy, but this is ridiculous :D
> No, R. Dan Henry was quite right - I was joking. :)

Ok, all is clear now ;-).

> Though I must admit it's tempting to try and win the game "naked", a
> few ventures into DoomRL 0.9.6 have convinced me not to give that a
> shot anytime soon. :)

Not in 096 at least :-D

regards,
Kornel Kisielewicz