The biggest newbie question :)

G

Can someone give me a link to a "building a computer site?" with specifics?

I have been certified to build, but my buddy is looking to do it the old-fashioned way and I haven't been able to find a good site for him (i actually haven't looked)

Thanks for any help :)

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Good question, since THG is very biased AMD you cannot get good info here on building a decent machine (intel).

www.anandtech.com
www.hardocp.com
www.overclockers.com
www.sharkeyextreme.com
www.mellenger.com
www.insanehardware.com
firingsquad.gamers.com
www.planethardware.com
www.fast-mhz.com
bxboards.com

Enjoy.

If you need a parts list of hardware that will work flawlessly together just ask.

JustPlainJef

Splendid
Feb 20, 2001
Or you could be like most of the intelligent people here and ignore Fugger. Even if Tom's is biased, he still has good articles that show you how to build PC's. Also, he reviews Video Cards, HDD's, HSF (Heatsinks & fans), and other components. So here is the big question: Are you going for value? If so, AMD is the way to go. If not, you can spend extra money on Intel.

What's a signature? Oh, those words that show up after all my comments? I don't need one of those!

G

Thanks for the help, I'll take a look at those.

I'm hoping to build a few computers these next few weeks and sell them (Do people still buy?) and i'll sure as hell be coming here for help w/ compatibility.

Thanks.

G

I am actually looking at a DURON that I Can build myself with a little bit of help so It will live long and prosper (and boot up the first time :) )

I would like to experiment, but I don't want to get into a dead end, ya follow?

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If your selling them to other people, you might get your ass kicked selling them an AMD system.

No one will complain if you sell them a real Intel based system.

You will be like dannyaa in his last post wondering why his rig sucks.

If your spending $1000 on a system both AMD and Intel come to about the same dollars in the end anyway. With Intel you know your CPU is not gonna destroy itself if HSF fails or installed incorrectly.

"A moron and his Athlon are soon parted"

G

I have a duron 800
i love it

FAST in everything
and awsome

Most people on here have AMD inside there machines,
the odd few .... fugger, meltdown ... ... ..
have intel
but
Durons are cheap and awsome!!
if u have the extra $$ get a Tbird
but Durons are fine