SP2, Dell 2400 and Broadcom 440x

I have a Dell 2400, and use a cable modem to connect to the Internet.
My particular computer uses the Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller.
Just curious to know if anyone with that configuration has upgraded to SP2
and had any problems with their broadband connection? More than anything, I
need that feature to work properly.

Molly

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

I just upgraded to SP2 today and everything went well. I d/l the It
professional install from the site last night. It took about 10 minutes at
392 KB. I d/l into a folder Icall "Temp". I would suggest unplugging your
cable modem, and closing all windows programs in your system tray. Then go
to the location when you d/l the file,and click on the file. The file will
install by itself.
After the install is finished you will be asked restart windows. Then you
will be asked what firewall would you like to use, and
about window undates. The install should be complete. Plug in your cable
modem.
If you feel a 266MB file is a bit large too live on your computer, burn it
to a cd for storage.

Problem: When i went to restart windows,I did not have any desktop icons. I
had to start windows again.

"HistoryFan" <IHaTeSPam!@IhaTESpAM.coM> wrote in message
> I have a Dell 2400, and use a cable modem to connect to the Internet.
> My particular computer uses the Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated
> Controller.
> Just curious to know if anyone with that configuration has upgraded to SP2
> and had any problems with their broadband connection? More than anything,
> need that feature to work properly.

I have the 2400 system with the Broadcom and SP2 installed like a charm. The
Internet connection never missed a beat. And this is my wife's system. If it
were not connecting properly I suspect I would have heard about it and right
smartly.

Regards,
John O.

"HistoryFan" <IHaTeSPam!@IhaTESpAM.coM> wrote in message
> I have a Dell 2400, and use a cable modem to connect to the Internet.
> My particular computer uses the Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated
> Controller.
> Just curious to know if anyone with that configuration has upgraded to SP2
> and had any problems with their broadband connection? More than anything,
> need that feature to work properly.

Thanks for the reply. However, I plan to upgrade via Automatic
Updates, so my cable modem will have to stay plugged in. I have XP
completely up-to-date, so hopefully SP2 won't be any bigger than 80-90MB.

"Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message

> I just upgraded to SP2 today and everything went well. I d/l the It
> professional install from the site last night. It took about 10 minutes at
> 392 KB. I d/l into a folder Icall "Temp". I would suggest unplugging your
> cable modem, and closing all windows programs in your system tray. Then go
> to the location when you d/l the file,and click on the file. The file will
> install by itself.
> After the install is finished you will be asked restart windows. Then you
> will be asked what firewall would you like to use, and
> about window undates. The install should be complete. Plug in your cable
> modem.
> If you feel a 266MB file is a bit large too live on your computer, burn
it
> to a cd for storage.
>
> Problem: When i went to restart windows,I did not have any desktop icons.
> had to start windows again.
>
> "HistoryFan" <IHaTeSPam!@IhaTESpAM.coM> wrote in message
> > I have a Dell 2400, and use a cable modem to connect to the
Internet.
> > My particular computer uses the Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated
> > Controller.
> > Just curious to know if anyone with that configuration has upgraded to
SP2
> > and had any problems with their broadband connection? More than
anything,
> > need that feature to work properly.

Molly

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

My SP1a is has all the current updates. My question is, if you use the
automatic updates and it hangs doing install what are you going to do? I
unplug the cable modem, because I closed down the virus program down, and
the firewall.
Here is the resource I used http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/default.htm . I
need this update for two other computers anyway.