[DoomRL] YAVP and some feedback

well, i've completed it :) not a bad way to spend sunday afternoon ;-)

some general feedback and ideas:

* when beserk, is there a way to distinguish your sight range? dark red/
light red, maybe?

* i had the occasion problem with LOS when shooting round corners: i'd
get a green target thingy on an enemy, but my shots would hit the
wall. sometimes enemies shooting back would hit the wall too,
sometimes they would hit me.

* a command to sort the inventory would be appreciated, but it's a minor
niggle

* in the arena off level 2, a more immediately useful reward would be
nice. not that i minded all that plasma ammo, mind you, but it didn't
come in useful until much later

* a number of enemies would just sit and take the pain and not shoot
back. cacodemons did this a lot. also the cyberdemon didn't shoot at
me once, which was a bit odd.

* supercharge lowers your health if it's above 200. this was
particularly galling with my health at about 380!

* some enemies have a habit of jumping into lava, which is a bit odd.
this was especially apparent in the chained court, when half the 'h's
dies before i got to them

* there were some unopenable doors in the hall of carnage, that's to say
i got a message "you open the door" (or somesuch) but they didn't
open. i rocketed them open, so maybe they are meant to be that way, in
which case the message should be changed.

* when you use the computer map, could there be a way of distinguishing
between seen & unseen tiles?

* the "flood the dungeon with lava" switch is a bit fierce! it's good
thing i had found the stairs, and was invulnerable. i would have been
a bit miffed to die just for trying a switch.

* you could have a "quick draw" (ie: swap weapons fast) trait

* or some kind of dodging trait

* given the small size of the levels, the rocket launcher radius seems a
bit big (barrels too, for that matter)

* items caught in explosions should maybe have a chance of surviving? i
avoided the rocket launcher a lot of the time so i wouldn't loose
powerups.

all in all, i enjoyed the game, and i think you're on to a good thing. i
hope you promote that game beyond a side project into a fully fledged
RL, because as it is it certainly stands out from the pack of generic
RLs. with some scope for differing tactics to add replay value, it would
be all good :)

DoomRL (v.0.9.5 (beta)) roguelike post-mortem character dump

barry6, level 6 soldier, bleeded to death
on level 20 of the Phobos base.
He survived 92391 turns and scored 27144 points.
He found the Phobos Arena.
He stormed the Chained Court.
//twice!
He ventured into the Halls of Carnage.
He fought on Hell's Arena.

Statistics
Health 116/50 Experience 19457/6
ToHit +2 ToDmg Ranged +2 ToDmg Melee +3

Traits:
Finesse (Level 1)
Tough as nails (Level 1)
Son of a bitch (Level 3)
//is this per shot, or per bullet? (eg. chaingun)
Eagle Eye (Level 1)

Equipment

[a] [ Armor ] red armor [4/4] (53%)
[ Weapon ] rocket launcher (4d4) [0/1]
[c] [ Boots ] plasteel boots [8/8] (96%)

Inventory

[a] red armor [4/4] (100%)
red armor [4/4] (100%)
[c] red armor [4/4] (100%)
[d] chaingun (1d6)x5 [50/50]
//cleared most of the dungone with this
[e] BFG 9000 (8d8) [20/100]
[f] plasma rifle (1d8)x8 [40/40]
rocket
[h] rocket (x10)
rocket (x10)
[j] 10mm ammo (x100)
[k] 10mm ammo (x100)
[l] 10mm ammo (x100)
[m] 10mm ammo (x100)
[n] 10mm ammo (x100)
[o] power cell (x20)
[p] 10mm ammo (x71)
[q] large med-pack
[r] phase device
large med-pack

Kills

60 former humans
38 former human seregants
19 former human capitans
28 imps
37 demons
35 lost souls
38 cacodemons
11 barons of hell
1 Cyberdemon

ru
5 answers Last reply
More about doomrl yavp feedback
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    ru wrote:
    > well, i've completed it :) not a bad way to spend sunday afternoon ;-)

    Warning, it will be much harder in the next version ;-).

    > some general feedback and ideas:
    >
    > * when beserk, is there a way to distinguish your sight range? dark
    > red/ light red, maybe?

    Oh come on, you're breserk, who care's for LOS ;D

    > * i had the occasion problem with LOS when shooting round corners: i'd
    > get a green target thingy on an enemy, but my shots would hit the
    > wall. sometimes enemies shooting back would hit the wall too,
    > sometimes they would hit me.

    I know. This problem is hard to fix, I'll leave it for the future :-(

    > * a command to sort the inventory would be appreciated, but it's a
    > minor niggle

    It is sorted by type, but types themself aren't sorted. I fixed that in
    v.0.9.6.

    > * in the arena off level 2, a more immediately useful reward would be
    > nice. not that i minded all that plasma ammo, mind you, but it didn't
    > come in useful until much later

    Maybe. Like what?

    > * a number of enemies would just sit and take the pain and not shoot
    > back. cacodemons did this a lot. also the cyberdemon didn't shoot at
    > me once, which was a bit odd.

    Yes I know. I will see to it in the future.

    > * supercharge lowers your health if it's above 200. this was
    > particularly galling with my health at about 380!

    Fixed in 096 ;-).

    > * some enemies have a habit of jumping into lava, which is a bit odd.
    > this was especially apparent in the chained court, when half the 'h's
    > dies before i got to them

    Yes I know. I will see to it in the future.

    > * there were some unopenable doors in the hall of carnage, that's to
    > say i got a message "you open the door" (or somesuch) but they didn't
    > open. i rocketed them open, so maybe they are meant to be that way, in
    > which case the message should be changed.

    Ok, I'll see to it.

    > * when you use the computer map, could there be a way of
    > distinguishing between seen & unseen tiles?

    Hmm, this would be hard codewise -- I'm out of map-bits :-(

    > * the "flood the dungeon with lava" switch is a bit fierce! it's good
    > thing i had found the stairs, and was invulnerable. i would have been
    > a bit miffed to die just for trying a switch.

    This is not instadeath, there's a warning ;-). Actually there is only one
    unfair instadeath in DoomRL -- when a monster teleports into the place where
    you're standing.

    > * you could have a "quick draw" (ie: swap weapons fast) trait

    Hey, that would be too easy ;-).

    > * or some kind of dodging trait

    Hmm, hard to implement codewise.

    > * given the small size of the levels, the rocket launcher radius
    > seems a bit big (barrels too, for that matter)

    I dunno. If this request repeats I will think about it.

    > * items caught in explosions should maybe have a chance of surviving?
    > i avoided the rocket launcher a lot of the time so i wouldn't loose
    > powerups.

    Not all people do that -- it's one of the disadvantages of the rocket
    launcher.

    > all in all, i enjoyed the game, and i think you're on to a good
    > thing. i hope you promote that game beyond a side project into a
    > fully fledged RL, because as it is it certainly stands out from the
    > pack of generic RLs. with some scope for differing tactics to add
    > replay value, it would be all good :)

    :-D

    > barry6, level 6 soldier, bleeded to death

    This one is fixed in 096 too ;-).

    ?

    > Traits:
    > Finesse (Level 1)
    > Tough as nails (Level 1)
    > Son of a bitch (Level 3)
    > //is this per shot, or per bullet? (eg. chaingun)

    Per bullet -- but don't be so happy about it -- chainguns and plasma will
    loose power when introduced with armor.

    > [d] chaingun (1d6)x5 [50/50]
    > //cleared most of the dungone with this

    Will be less effective in 096.

    regards,
    Kornel Kisielewicz
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    > ru wrote:
    >> * in the arena off level 2, a more immediately useful reward would be
    >> nice. not that i minded all that plasma ammo, mind you, but it didn't
    >> come in useful until much later
    >
    > Maybe. Like what?

    hmm. dunno. i suppose it would have to be a one off, or something short
    lived. a red armour, maybe? couple of medkits?

    >> * the "flood the dungeon with lava" switch is a bit fierce! it's good
    >> thing i had found the stairs, and was invulnerable. i would have been
    >> a bit miffed to die just for trying a switch.
    >
    > This is not instadeath, there's a warning ;-).

    was that the "i smell petrol" thing? it's an effective death sentence if you
    don't know where the stairs are.

    >> * you could have a "quick draw" (ie: swap weapons fast) trait
    >
    > Hey, that would be too easy ;-).

    why so? is it any better than extra armour or damage?

    >> He stormed the Chained Court.
    >> //twice!
    >
    > ?

    i took every available portal - and ended up in the chained court on two
    seperate occasions. one of the posts mentions Hell's Armoury; i never
    saw it.

    >> Traits:
    >> Finesse (Level 1)
    >> Tough as nails (Level 1)
    >> Son of a bitch (Level 3)
    >> //is this per shot, or per bullet? (eg. chaingun)
    >
    > Per bullet -- but don't be so happy about it -- chainguns and plasma will
    > loose power when introduced with armor.

    so long as you don't make them too weak. also, i think finesse isn't
    worth it with the penalty applying to every bullet.

    --
    ru
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    ru wrote:
    > Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    >> ru wrote:
    >>> * in the arena off level 2, a more immediately useful reward would
    >>> be nice. not that i minded all that plasma ammo, mind you, but it
    >>> didn't come in useful until much later
    >>
    >> Maybe. Like what?
    >
    > hmm. dunno. i suppose it would have to be a one off, or something
    > short lived. a red armour, maybe? couple of medkits?

    A large medkit should do the trick?

    >>> * the "flood the dungeon with lava" switch is a bit fierce! it's
    >>> good thing i had found the stairs, and was invulnerable. i would
    >>> have been a bit miffed to die just for trying a switch.
    >>
    >> This is not instadeath, there's a warning ;-).
    >
    > was that the "i smell petrol" thing? it's an effective death sentence
    > if you don't know where the stairs are.

    Maybe... but I think it's funny ;-). In the doomish sense of humour that is
    :-D

    >>> * you could have a "quick draw" (ie: swap weapons fast) trait
    >>
    >> Hey, that would be too easy ;-).
    >
    > why so? is it any better than extra armour or damage?

    Ok, I'll see to that.

    >>> He stormed the Chained Court.
    >>> //twice!
    >>
    >> ?
    >
    > i took every available portal - and ended up in the chained court on
    > two seperate occasions.

    Wierd!

    >>> Son of a bitch (Level 3)
    >>> //is this per shot, or per bullet? (eg. chaingun)
    >>
    >> Per bullet -- but don't be so happy about it -- chainguns and plasma
    >> will loose power when introduced with armor.
    >
    > so long as you don't make them too weak. also, i think finesse isn't
    > worth it with the penalty applying to every bullet.

    Well, see for yourself :-D

    regards,
    Kornel Kisielewicz
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz .-- .-. --- - . ---...

    >> * or some kind of dodging trait
    > Hmm, hard to implement codewise.

    Not really, you subtract from monsters ToHit (assuming that they are really
    treated te same way as character ;-).

    > Per bullet -- but don't be so happy about it -- chainguns and plasma will
    > loose power when introduced with armor.

    So what will not lose the power? I guess plasma is the most dangerous
    substance that ignores or damages conventional armor. I'd not be surprised
    to see that chaingun is not effective against armour, but plasma - thats
    the other thing.

    --
    Loonie
    ---------------------------------------

    Loonie wrote:
    > Kornel Kisielewicz .-- .-. --- - . ---...
    >
    >>> * or some kind of dodging trait
    >> Hmm, hard to implement codewise.
    >
    > Not really, you subtract from monsters ToHit (assuming that they are
    > really treated te same way as character ;-).

    Yes, but it's the bullet that does the to-hit roll...

    >> Per bullet -- but don't be so happy about it -- chainguns and plasma
    >> will loose power when introduced with armor.
    >
    > So what will not lose the power? I guess plasma is the most dangerous
    > substance that ignores or damages conventional armor. I'd not be
    > surprised to see that chaingun is not effective against armour, but
    > plasma - thats the other thing.

    Hmm, I'll think about it.

    regards,
    Kornel Kisielewicz