[DoomRL] Bugfix 0.9.6c

Last response: in Video Games
January 17, 2005 7:47:56 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

A quick note for people getting crashes (especialy on DOSBox):
Killed a nasty Access Violation bug! Updated release:
http://chaos.magma-net.pl/doom/doomrl-dos-096c.zip
Thanks goes to Steve Yrjana ;-).

regards,
Kornel Kisielewicz

More about : doomrl bugfix

January 17, 2005 7:47:57 PM

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> A quick note for people getting crashes (especialy on DOSBox):
> Killed a nasty Access Violation bug! Updated release:
> http://chaos.magma-net.pl/doom/doomrl-dos-096c.zip
> Thanks goes to Steve Yrjana ;-).
>
> regards,
> Kornel Kisielewicz

Thank you! More comments coming soon :)
January 17, 2005 7:47:57 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Just a few random things based on last couple of games:

This is small, but it'd be nice - don't start the player in 0,0 on level one
:)  Feels goofy - how about dropping you 5 squares east of the opening door
or so.

Due to the increased health bleed (and difficulty in general), Small Health
Globes should probably give more benefit. They frequently wear off before
you even find another enemy. You might want to tweak this behavior a bit
with large also - give small globes a larger boost to health AND allow large
globes to push you over 100 (this isn't quite the same as a supercharge, but
it'd make them a lot nicer).

If you did the above changes to health globes, you might want to consider
having small medkits drop deeper in the complex, instead of all large. This
would mean you wouldn't always get large medkits when they drop, but you'd
be getting more (situational, limited) benefit from small and large globes,
which might balance out.

Might want to consider adding medkits as a 'bonus' to one of the special
levels.

Barrels spawning by stairs when you enter a new level should probably have a
slightly lower probability - lot of potential for really cheap unavoidable
damage/death if that happens

The RL and the BFG seem to be 'pulling' you forward, which seems goofy. If
they're supposed to knock you back that would make some sense, but as it is
they're working in reverse, or not pushing the mob properly or something ;)

Hell's Armory should probably have a guaranteed chance of at least one
'special' weapon, and probably at least an Arachnotron guard

Probably already aware, but weapon quickkeys don't work if you don't have
the 'base' weapon for that line

I already mentioned my complaints with Unload, but a related super nice
function related would be that if you pick up a weapon that you already
have, it simply gets the ammo. This would get rid of some needless fiddling,
speed things up, and feel a bit more like Doom.

Similarly already mentioned - ditch the Assault Shotgun, tweak the
behavior/attributes of the base Shotgun

-

Great fun! :)  Load up some Doom music, start it up, and it's Doom, only,
without those silly graphics. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to
monster packs and special levels :D
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 1:33:03 AM

Marcus wrote:
> Just a few random things based on last couple of games:
>
> This is small, but it'd be nice - don't start the player in 0,0 on
> level one :)  Feels goofy - how about dropping you 5 squares east of
> the opening door or so.

Hmm, ok ;-).

> Due to the increased health bleed (and difficulty in general), Small
> Health Globes should probably give more benefit. They frequently wear
> off before you even find another enemy. You might want to tweak this
> behavior a bit with large also - give small globes a larger boost to
> health AND allow large globes to push you over 100 (this isn't quite
> the same as a supercharge, but it'd make them a lot nicer).

Maybe. Ok, I'll think about it. Don't the large globes push you over 100%?

> If you did the above changes to health globes, you might want to
> consider having small medkits drop deeper in the complex, instead of
> all large. This would mean you wouldn't always get large medkits when
> they drop, but you'd be getting more (situational, limited) benefit
> from small and large globes, which might balance out.

Ok.

> Might want to consider adding medkits as a 'bonus' to one of the
> special levels.

Hell's Arena for example ;-).

> Barrels spawning by stairs when you enter a new level should probably
> have a slightly lower probability - lot of potential for really cheap
> unavoidable damage/death if that happens

Khi hi hi ;-).

> The RL and the BFG seem to be 'pulling' you forward, which seems
> goofy. If they're supposed to knock you back that would make some
> sense, but as it is they're working in reverse, or not pushing the
> mob properly or something ;)

Oh yes, this was reported already. Will be fixed in the next release.

> Hell's Armory should probably have a guaranteed chance of at least one
> 'special' weapon, and probably at least an Arachnotron guard

Ok. This seems good. I think it will have a guaranteed advanced foo.

> Probably already aware, but weapon quickkeys don't work if you don't
> have the 'base' weapon for that line

URGH. I know ;-).

> I already mentioned my complaints with Unload, but a related super
> nice function related would be that if you pick up a weapon that you
> already have, it simply gets the ammo. This would get rid of some
> needless fiddling, speed things up, and feel a bit more like Doom.

Never. ;-). I'll stick to how it is already ;-).

> Similarly already mentioned - ditch the Assault Shotgun, tweak the
> behavior/attributes of the base Shotgun

This is another one that I will keep my way. Or maybe an option in the
future...

> Great fun! :)  Load up some Doom music, start it up, and it's Doom,
> only, without those silly graphics. Keep up the good work. Looking
> forward to monster packs and special levels :D

:-D

regards,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 4:40:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

I think i've found yet more bugs:

- using a switch while invulnerable AND above 100% hp (like 121% hp)
can crash the game
- target line STILL doesn't turn red when it intersects a wall;
however, i was manually targeting a barrel/ground, so could that be the
problem?

Something that is somewhat annoying:
- Invulnerability does not stop the degredation of health when at 101%
hp or above. I suggest that if you get a invulnerability globe any
health degradation is temp. suspended; then, the moment the invul.
wears off you start losing health again.
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 3:36:14 PM

Uzytkownik wrote:
> I think i've found yet more bugs:
>
> - using a switch while invulnerable AND above 100% hp (like 121% hp)
> can crash the game

Uuuh. I have no freking idea why? Will have to test that.

> - target line STILL doesn't turn red when it intersects a wall;
> however, i was manually targeting a barrel/ground, so could that be
> the problem?

No, the problem is that two separate code's handle firing LOS and green/red
los ;-).

> Something that is somewhat annoying:
> - Invulnerability does not stop the degredation of health when at 101%
> hp or above. I suggest that if you get a invulnerability globe any
> health degradation is temp. suspended; then, the moment the invul.
> wears off you start losing health again.

That could be reasonable. I'll remember that.

regards,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 4:46:15 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

I did find the advanced shotgun, once.
Beyond the obvious, I saw it could have one devastating effect, but suddenly
it stopped "working"... I retried, in many places, shooting a dozen time,
and couldn't do it again. Strange.

Btw, You shouldn't be ashamed of calling it a "+1 shotgun" or "blessed
shotgun", this is a roguelike :)
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 2:06:39 PM

Yves Rizoud wrote:
> I did find the advanced shotgun, once.
> Beyond the obvious, I saw it could have one devastating effect, but
> suddenly it stopped "working"... I retried, in many places, shooting
> a dozen time, and couldn't do it again. Strange.

You mean it lost it's damage properties? The status of the shotgun still had
the additional damage? Wierd.

> Btw, You shouldn't be ashamed of calling it a "+1 shotgun" or "blessed
> shotgun", this is a roguelike :)

I would, it's a DOOM roguelike after all ;-).

regards,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 5:04:39 PM

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:

> Yves Rizoud wrote:
>
>>I did find the advanced shotgun, once.
>>Beyond the obvious, I saw it could have one devastating effect, but
>>suddenly it stopped "working"... I retried, in many places, shooting
>>a dozen time, and couldn't do it again. Strange.
>

> You mean it lost it's damage properties? The status of the shotgun still had
> the additional damage? Wierd.

>>Btw, You shouldn't be ashamed of calling it a "+1 shotgun" or "blessed
>>shotgun", this is a roguelike :)
>

> I would, it's a DOOM roguelike after all ;-).

Rofl. I say we shouldnt have +1 shotguns, unless we can have axes of
*slay demon*. If the all mighty developer refuses to provide us with the
latter for some strange and unexplicable reason (dubbed as balance by
know-it-all rougelikers) than I sais we certainly shouldnt have the
sooner either! (or anything along the fantasy line...i mean
people...lets be serious:)
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 1:03:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

If you get your axe of demon slaying,i will demand a holy handgrenade :)
!