[DoomRL] Bugfix 0.9.6c

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

A quick note for people getting crashes (especialy on DOSBox):
Killed a nasty Access Violation bug! Updated release:
http://chaos.magma-net.pl/doom/doomrl-dos-096c.zip
Thanks goes to Steve Yrjana ;-).

regards,
Kornel Kisielewicz
9 answers Last reply
More about doomrl bugfix
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    > A quick note for people getting crashes (especialy on DOSBox):
    > Killed a nasty Access Violation bug! Updated release:
    > http://chaos.magma-net.pl/doom/doomrl-dos-096c.zip
    > Thanks goes to Steve Yrjana ;-).
    >
    > regards,
    > Kornel Kisielewicz

    Thank you! More comments coming soon :)
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Just a few random things based on last couple of games:

    This is small, but it'd be nice - don't start the player in 0,0 on level one
    :) Feels goofy - how about dropping you 5 squares east of the opening door
    or so.

    Due to the increased health bleed (and difficulty in general), Small Health
    Globes should probably give more benefit. They frequently wear off before
    you even find another enemy. You might want to tweak this behavior a bit
    with large also - give small globes a larger boost to health AND allow large
    globes to push you over 100 (this isn't quite the same as a supercharge, but
    it'd make them a lot nicer).

    If you did the above changes to health globes, you might want to consider
    having small medkits drop deeper in the complex, instead of all large. This
    would mean you wouldn't always get large medkits when they drop, but you'd
    be getting more (situational, limited) benefit from small and large globes,
    which might balance out.

    Might want to consider adding medkits as a 'bonus' to one of the special
    levels.

    Barrels spawning by stairs when you enter a new level should probably have a
    slightly lower probability - lot of potential for really cheap unavoidable
    damage/death if that happens

    The RL and the BFG seem to be 'pulling' you forward, which seems goofy. If
    they're supposed to knock you back that would make some sense, but as it is
    they're working in reverse, or not pushing the mob properly or something ;)

    Hell's Armory should probably have a guaranteed chance of at least one
    'special' weapon, and probably at least an Arachnotron guard

    Probably already aware, but weapon quickkeys don't work if you don't have
    the 'base' weapon for that line

    I already mentioned my complaints with Unload, but a related super nice
    function related would be that if you pick up a weapon that you already
    have, it simply gets the ammo. This would get rid of some needless fiddling,
    speed things up, and feel a bit more like Doom.

    Similarly already mentioned - ditch the Assault Shotgun, tweak the
    behavior/attributes of the base Shotgun

    -

    Great fun! :) Load up some Doom music, start it up, and it's Doom, only,
    without those silly graphics. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to
    monster packs and special levels :D
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Marcus wrote:
    > Just a few random things based on last couple of games:
    >
    > This is small, but it'd be nice - don't start the player in 0,0 on
    > level one :) Feels goofy - how about dropping you 5 squares east of
    > the opening door or so.

    Hmm, ok ;-).

    > Due to the increased health bleed (and difficulty in general), Small
    > Health Globes should probably give more benefit. They frequently wear
    > off before you even find another enemy. You might want to tweak this
    > behavior a bit with large also - give small globes a larger boost to
    > health AND allow large globes to push you over 100 (this isn't quite
    > the same as a supercharge, but it'd make them a lot nicer).

    Maybe. Ok, I'll think about it. Don't the large globes push you over 100%?

    > If you did the above changes to health globes, you might want to
    > consider having small medkits drop deeper in the complex, instead of
    > all large. This would mean you wouldn't always get large medkits when
    > they drop, but you'd be getting more (situational, limited) benefit
    > from small and large globes, which might balance out.

    Ok.

    > Might want to consider adding medkits as a 'bonus' to one of the
    > special levels.

    Hell's Arena for example ;-).

    > Barrels spawning by stairs when you enter a new level should probably
    > have a slightly lower probability - lot of potential for really cheap
    > unavoidable damage/death if that happens

    Khi hi hi ;-).

    > The RL and the BFG seem to be 'pulling' you forward, which seems
    > goofy. If they're supposed to knock you back that would make some
    > sense, but as it is they're working in reverse, or not pushing the
    > mob properly or something ;)

    Oh yes, this was reported already. Will be fixed in the next release.

    > Hell's Armory should probably have a guaranteed chance of at least one
    > 'special' weapon, and probably at least an Arachnotron guard

    Ok. This seems good. I think it will have a guaranteed advanced foo.

    > Probably already aware, but weapon quickkeys don't work if you don't
    > have the 'base' weapon for that line

    URGH. I know ;-).

    > I already mentioned my complaints with Unload, but a related super
    > nice function related would be that if you pick up a weapon that you
    > already have, it simply gets the ammo. This would get rid of some
    > needless fiddling, speed things up, and feel a bit more like Doom.

    Never. ;-). I'll stick to how it is already ;-).

    > Similarly already mentioned - ditch the Assault Shotgun, tweak the
    > behavior/attributes of the base Shotgun

    This is another one that I will keep my way. Or maybe an option in the
    future...

    > Great fun! :) Load up some Doom music, start it up, and it's Doom,
    > only, without those silly graphics. Keep up the good work. Looking
    > forward to monster packs and special levels :D

    :-D

    regards,
    Kornel Kisielewicz
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    I think i've found yet more bugs:

    - using a switch while invulnerable AND above 100% hp (like 121% hp)
    can crash the game
    - target line STILL doesn't turn red when it intersects a wall;
    however, i was manually targeting a barrel/ground, so could that be the
    problem?

    Something that is somewhat annoying:
    - Invulnerability does not stop the degredation of health when at 101%
    hp or above. I suggest that if you get a invulnerability globe any
    health degradation is temp. suspended; then, the moment the invul.
    wears off you start losing health again.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Uzytkownik wrote:
    > I think i've found yet more bugs:
    >
    > - using a switch while invulnerable AND above 100% hp (like 121% hp)
    > can crash the game

    Uuuh. I have no freking idea why? Will have to test that.

    > - target line STILL doesn't turn red when it intersects a wall;
    > however, i was manually targeting a barrel/ground, so could that be
    > the problem?

    No, the problem is that two separate code's handle firing LOS and green/red
    los ;-).

    > Something that is somewhat annoying:
    > - Invulnerability does not stop the degredation of health when at 101%
    > hp or above. I suggest that if you get a invulnerability globe any
    > health degradation is temp. suspended; then, the moment the invul.
    > wears off you start losing health again.

    That could be reasonable. I'll remember that.

    regards,
    Kornel Kisielewicz
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    I did find the advanced shotgun, once.
    Beyond the obvious, I saw it could have one devastating effect, but suddenly
    it stopped "working"... I retried, in many places, shooting a dozen time,
    and couldn't do it again. Strange.

    Btw, You shouldn't be ashamed of calling it a "+1 shotgun" or "blessed
    shotgun", this is a roguelike :)
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Yves Rizoud wrote:
    > I did find the advanced shotgun, once.
    > Beyond the obvious, I saw it could have one devastating effect, but
    > suddenly it stopped "working"... I retried, in many places, shooting
    > a dozen time, and couldn't do it again. Strange.

    You mean it lost it's damage properties? The status of the shotgun still had
    the additional damage? Wierd.

    > Btw, You shouldn't be ashamed of calling it a "+1 shotgun" or "blessed
    > shotgun", this is a roguelike :)

    I would, it's a DOOM roguelike after all ;-).

    regards,
    Kornel Kisielewicz
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:

    > Yves Rizoud wrote:
    >
    >>I did find the advanced shotgun, once.
    >>Beyond the obvious, I saw it could have one devastating effect, but
    >>suddenly it stopped "working"... I retried, in many places, shooting
    >>a dozen time, and couldn't do it again. Strange.
    >

    > You mean it lost it's damage properties? The status of the shotgun still had
    > the additional damage? Wierd.

    >>Btw, You shouldn't be ashamed of calling it a "+1 shotgun" or "blessed
    >>shotgun", this is a roguelike :)
    >

    > I would, it's a DOOM roguelike after all ;-).

    Rofl. I say we shouldnt have +1 shotguns, unless we can have axes of
    *slay demon*. If the all mighty developer refuses to provide us with the
    latter for some strange and unexplicable reason (dubbed as balance by
    know-it-all rougelikers) than I sais we certainly shouldnt have the
    sooner either! (or anything along the fantasy line...i mean
    people...lets be serious:)
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    If you get your axe of demon slaying,i will demand a holy handgrenade :)

Development Games Bug Video Games