Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Hello everybody,

This message is intended for WinXP users on whoose systems lightgray and
darkgray colors don't differ much (if you're a WinXP user it's probably you
;-) ). I found a way to hack the WinXP console make those colors different
again. You need Root priviledges for that (if you are on a single user
system you porbably have them anyway). Here's the simple hack:

1. Open regedit ("Run..." and type-in "regedit")
2. Find the key: My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console
3. Save the whole key (right-click on the folder) -- so you may revert it to
an original state if the colors go wrong
4. Find the fields ColorTable07 (this is LightGray) and ColorTable08 (this
is DarkGray)
5. ColorTable07 is probably c0c0c0 and 08 is probably 808080 (when you press
Modify on them).
Change these to ColorTable07 = a0a0a0 and ColorTable08 = 505050.

This way you'll get the intended DoomRL colors in the game ;-). If you wan't
to revert to the old settings, just load your saved *.reg file. You may also
experiment with the values (Those are Hex values for RGB like in HTML).
Good Luck ;-).

I will maybe prepare an automated way to change that in the future.

Tested on WinXP Proffesional.

regards,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

#### The only sign of human I found in the Caverns of Chaos
..@.. are those ancient runes engraved on one of the walls by
#### Kornel Kisielewicz on 19.01.2005 12:37 :

> This message is intended for WinXP users on whoose systems lightgray and
> darkgray colors don't differ much (if you're a WinXP user it's probably you
> ;-) ). I found a way to hack the WinXP console make those colors different
> again.

Here's my color fix i made for ADOM long time ago (i think i posted it
here already):
http://warui.prv.pl/rl/
It work's well for DRL and other roguelikes as well. It changes not only
light and dark gray but also some other colors.

--
Tomasz "Warui" Nowakowski
RLDev L:C++ E+ T- R-- P+ D+ G+ F:ADOM RL--- RLA--