Ran Autoruns On Fresh Build. Now Windows wont Boot.

Kolt21

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
I disabled quite a bit of stuff to reduce processes. Apparently I went to far. Now windows wont boot and I cant get to safe mode.

Kolt21

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
Getting BlueScreen Of Death No matter how I try to boot. Safemode does the same. Every option on the safemode page does the same. I can however access the command prompt

Kolt21

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
-_- This is a $1400 Build that would cost $4000 as a prebuilt. Perfect Startup On First Boot. Successfull windows installation, Got my second hard drive up and running, updated drivers, no issues, then went and did all the steps listed in Seans Windows 7 Optimization. Still No Issues. One of the final steps was download Autoruns. I have used autoruns before so I downloaded it and used it.

This is where everything went to ***. I turned ALOT of proccesses off because i figured, hey they arent deleted just prevented from startup.

Now over a stupid thing have blue screen of ahnialation.

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

I looked all over the web and nobody seems to be having this problem with autoruns.

Wtf?

DesHowe2k12

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
The only advice I can give is to re-install again, looking at what you have written it was a fresh install so you didn't have any major games/programs installed, so doing a reinstall should be painless.

Hope this helps.

LachlanT

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
If you really can't get into Windows even through safe mode your only option is to boot through the Windows DVD and repair your OS although with such a fresh build it'll be easier to just do another fresh install.

Kolt21

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
A Fresh Install is not an option. I would have to reformat my SSD.

Id rather throw the whole ******* thing in the garbage and cry myself to sleep.

How the *** does unchecking items for startup with autoruns cause you to have only 1 option... that option being a fresh install.

NOTHING WAS DELETED for Christs sake.

Kolt21

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
I Have access to this nifty little command prompt. Surely there is a way to make it reload those startup items that were unchecked. Surely windows has made its command prompt capable of reversing a ******* problem caused by a checkbox on startup.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
To boot from a dvd disc you will have to enter the bios of the computer, F1,F2 or the Del key on first power up of the system at the post splash screen.

In the bios there is a section that will say system boot, or Boot order of devices.

You need to change the Dvd drive to number one in the boot list and any hard drives after it in the list set them to 2.3.4 ect depending on how many you have. save the settings in the bios and then exit and restart the system.

It should say after it press any key to boot form Cd/dvd drive. To load the install setup of the Os from the dvd disc.

You can try a quicker fix but it may, not work. If you have a windows Iso xp boot disk you can use that, once it has loaded to set up, in the repair options you can drop to a dos command box.

Once there you can type two commands, fixboot, and fixmbr.

Once typed, it will ask if you are sure you want to preform the task say yes.
Do both, then re boot the system, in some cases it will repair the boot record and the master boot record section, allowing windows to load, even if it is windows 7.

Not sure on windows 8 not tested it myself but it does work with windows 7 in some cases.
I am giving you this solution because it can fix the booting problem into the os. to allow you to change the settings you turned off in Msconfig for the service loading, and start up programs on boot into windows. it will allow you to re set them back to what they were before you messed around with them.

And it is a quicker way, than having to re-install the whole Os over again.

Kolt21

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
Using the steps listed here http://geeksjiitu.blogspot.com/2011/02/how-to-resolve-blue-screen-error-using.html

I was able to get into windows. Once in i checked autoruns and all the programs were reverted back to checkmarked.

Now, I did NOT use system restore as it is disabled. I just did all the steps listed to make system restore available (It DID NOT become available as it is disabled). And for some wierd reason simply renaming software sam and system got my windows back.

Does anyone know how it worked? o_O I would love to know.

Kolt21

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
It was a desperation move that I had 0 hope of working. It wasnt even intended to work (for my application) by the person who wrote it.

it seems NOTHING else is reverted. JUST the autoruns.

Did this simply revert my windows drivers to default? What happened exactly?

Would love to know.

Kolt21

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
Alright upon further inspection, all of my video and motherboard drivers have lost there updates, and about half of my settings adjustments from seans guide to optimizing windows 7 were reverted back to default. the rest remained the same.

To be on the safe side I am retracing my steps back to the first thing I did after fresh windows 7 install and redoing everything to ensure correct optimization.

My advice to anyone using autoruns is INDIVIDUALLY RESEARCH EACH ITEM BEFORE UNCHECKING!!!

Still dont know how what I did fixed my issue but thankful all the same.

Still not sure what possessed me to try it or what made me think it would work or why it did work.

After you do an OS installion and update all drivers, make a disk image so that you can easily return to a fresh state, then do your optimizations. Once all optimizations are tested and working fine, then create a new disk image and keep it in a safe place. If your OS ever gets hosed, you'll be able to restore and quickly reinstall your programs.

All you did was restore backup copies of the registry/rename the ones where you screwed up all the settings so it couldn't load them.

You'd still be much better of doing a reinstall. I don't see how formatting an SSD is difficult and windows installs in minutes. And then NOT randomly turning of services when you don't know what they do our are needed for. There's no reason to mess with a silly "optimization" guide and "autoruns" that mess with your registry are just asking for trouble.