Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Sudden shut down

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
January 6, 2011 5:51:18 AM

why does my LENOVO G410 series core 2 duo laptop suddenly shuts down after two hours or so of run time .?

More about : sudden shut

a c 572 D Laptop
January 6, 2011 7:23:56 AM

Battery drained? Or are you plugged into the AC outlet?
Score
a c 572 D Laptop
January 6, 2011 7:27:14 AM

capital_one said:
suddenly shuts down
Are we talking about a normal Windows shutdown or a total fail to black screen shut off condition?
Score
Related resources
January 6, 2011 9:39:32 AM

WR2 said:
Are we talking about a normal Windows shutdown or a total fail to black screen shut off condition?

no not battery drained, i am on AC power. nothing wrong with power out let , its brand new fitting.

its just goes off , ya black screen shut off, it is doing that after 2 to 2nhalf hours of continous run.
Score
a b D Laptop
January 6, 2011 10:48:11 AM

Overheating? Does the length of time differ based on what you are doing? Is the laptop's fan running? How hot is the exhaust?
After a shutdown, can you power it back up immediately and work for another two hours, or is it now just minutes?
Score
January 6, 2011 2:12:51 PM

Yeah try sticking it on a cooler pad and see if it runs longer. Also listen for any beeps it could be a sign that one of your component parts is failing or overheating. Does your computer have any special video card or ram features?
This could be an issue with the ram or some component overheating or a bad install of windows. Is there anything that specifically makes it shut off or any messages that happen prior to the shut down?
Score
a c 572 D Laptop
January 6, 2011 2:13:05 PM

capital_one said:
it is doing that after 2 to 2nhalf hours of continous run
What type of usage? Heavy CPU loading? Light duty web surfing?
If you vary the workload to light duties does the laptop run longer?

Get a 30 day trial copy of Everest Ultimate Edition system diagnostics.
Of the free Speedfan program will let your monitor your laptop temps.

Score
January 6, 2011 2:22:21 PM

if he is going that route he should also try memtest or cpuz to check the ram too... I doubt it is the ram but it's possible and he may as well rule it out.
Score
January 6, 2011 4:24:28 PM

Onus said:
Overheating? Does the length of time differ based on what you are doing? Is the laptop's fan running? How hot is the exhaust?
After a shutdown, can you power it back up immediately and work for another two hours, or is it now just minutes?

ya i can power it back up and work for another couple of hours, but i have noticed this happening only twice or thrice (the black screen shut off)

can it be that i am placing it on my lap actually while using it in my bedroom that the extra heat cannot escape or something like that.
Score
January 6, 2011 4:38:25 PM

try getting a usb cooler stand,it helps a lot...
Score
a b D Laptop
January 6, 2011 8:55:10 PM

That is possible. A laptop should not be operated on a soft surface (like a blanket) that will obstruct airflow. Get one of those lap-desks if something like that may be the cause, or, as marios50 suggested, a laptop cooler.
Score
January 7, 2011 1:30:38 PM

Onus said:
That is possible. A laptop should not be operated on a soft surface (like a blanket) that will obstruct airflow. Get one of those lap-desks if something like that may be the cause, or, as marios50 suggested, a laptop cooler.

if that was the case then it should be happening when my PC is on the bed sheet, where the underneath is far more covered without any airflow.
Score
a c 572 D Laptop
January 7, 2011 3:36:32 PM

The internal cooling vent or fan exhaust areas might be clogged up with 'stuff'.
Score
January 8, 2011 12:14:57 PM

WR2 said:
The internal cooling vent or fan exhaust areas might be clogged up with 'stuff'.

so will i have to try opening the back side of the laptop, but which part of it ?
Score

Best solution

a c 572 D Laptop
January 8, 2011 2:43:38 PM

Use a temp monitoring software first - make sure it is overheating - before you go opening up the case.
January 8, 2011 5:08:57 PM

Best answer selected by capital_one.
Score
a c 244 D Laptop
January 9, 2011 11:05:48 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!