Getting a commitment from Dell on XP SP 2

I bought a new PC from Dell in the last days of MS Win NT 3.5, shortly
before NT 4 was released. It came with an advertised promise by Dell to
send all buyers like me a new NT 4 CD as soon as it was available, which
they did.

I'd like to purchase a new Dell PC now, with MS Win XP SP2 more or less
available from MS. However, I cannot find anything about an OS upgrade
to SP2 on the dell.com web site. I called Dell sales, and they acted
like I must be from Mars to ask such a question.

Does anyone have any input on this issue? What might Dell's policy be
these days?

Thanks,

Rod
16 answers Last reply
More about getting commitment dell

    Get XP SP 2 from Microsoft's Windows Update web site, when it is posted there.
    Most Windows OEMs, including Dell, do not update the software that they install
    at the "factory", and nearly all Windows OEMs will point you to Microsoft for
    any updates. You can also request the XP SP2 update CD free of charge from
    Microsoft and be prepared to wait a long time for it. (I have been reselling
    some Dell computers which need 40+MB of Windows updates, critical fixes and
    security patches, critical patches and security fixes, when unpacked fresh from
    the carton.)

    Your question is a good one, because, despite its Service Pack name, this is a
    release of Windows that is major, and presumably the last one until the mythical
    Longhorn release date, slipping off into the future. No need to leap on SP 2
    right away. Like any major Microsoft product release, it is very likely to have
    some glitches in it, if history serves to guide us... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:38:05 -0500, "J. Rodney Grisham"
    <Rod.Grisham@RevexTechnologies.com> wrote:

    >I bought a new PC from Dell in the last days of MS Win NT 3.5, shortly
    >before NT 4 was released. It came with an advertised promise by Dell to
    >send all buyers like me a new NT 4 CD as soon as it was available, which
    >they did.
    >
    >I'd like to purchase a new Dell PC now, with MS Win XP SP2 more or less
    >available from MS. However, I cannot find anything about an OS upgrade
    >to SP2 on the dell.com web site. I called Dell sales, and they acted
    >like I must be from Mars to ask such a question.
    >
    >Does anyone have any input on this issue? What might Dell's policy be
    >these days?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Rod

    NT 3.5 to NT4 is an OS upgrade.
    SP-2 is just an updates, a large update, but still just an update.
    Updates are rarely provided by computer manufacturers other than
    installed.

    You can order the CD from Microsoft, shipping about 25 August.
    Or you can download and burn to CD.
    SP-2 as all other updates are free.
    OS Upgrades normally cost $.
    See #1 on this link for options:

    Since Dell and other manufacturers just got SP-2 Last Thursday 5
    August with Public release Monday 9 August, SP-2 may or may not be
    included on new computers now sold.

    --
    Jupiter Jones
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "J. Rodney Grisham" <Rod.Grisham@RevexTechnologies.com> wrote in
    message news:cfjccl$86c@library1.airnews.net...

    Jupiter Jones wrote:

    > NT 3.5 to NT4 is an OS upgrade.
    > SP-2 is just an updates, a large update, but still just an update.
    > Updates are rarely provided by computer manufacturers other than
    > installed.
    >
    > You can order the CD from Microsoft, shipping about 25 August.
    > Or you can download and burn to CD.
    > SP-2 as all other updates are free.
    > OS Upgrades normally cost $.
    > See #1 on this link for options:
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm
    >
    > Since Dell and other manufacturers just got SP-2 Last Thursday 5
    > August with Public release Monday 9 August, SP-2 may or may not be
    > included on new computers now sold.

    Thanks for the link - looks like a keeper.

    With your input and that of Ben Myers, I suppose I should not care. But
    if I can wait a short time and not have the hassles of the upgrade, I'd
    do it. If it is going to be 45-60 days, then I don't want to wait that
    long.

    But this reasoning is probably the reason Dell does not want to say
    anything. Keep those orders rollin' in. :-)

    Rod

    Rod;
    My guess would be anyone you can reach by phone does not know the time
    frame for Dell deploying SP-2.
    So they could not give you a reasonable answer whether they wanted to
    or not.

    Your reason may be just about correct, at least from the corporate
    level.

    Dell like all other computer manufacturers has been testing SP-2 and
    my guess would be SP-2 would be deployed very soon.
    A good guide would be what Dell did with other Service Packs and that
    I have no idea.

    --

    message news:cfjvf0$mne@library1.airnews.net...
    > Thanks for the link - looks like a keeper.
    >
    > With your input and that of Ben Myers, I suppose I should not care.
    > But if I can wait a short time and not have the hassles of the
    > upgrade, I'd do it. If it is going to be 45-60 days, then I don't
    > want to wait that long.
    >
    > But this reasoning is probably the reason Dell does not want to say
    > anything. Keep those orders rollin' in. :-)
    >
    > Rod

    According to http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/xpsp2.asp retail boxed copies
    of Windows XP SP2 will replace current pre-SP2 XP boxes within the next few
    weeks. If Microsoft are treating it as a new version of XP rather than just
    another (albeit large) update, presumably Dell will be including it on their
    new machines once they have finished their tests.

    "Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    > NT 3.5 to NT4 is an OS upgrade.
    > SP-2 is just an updates, a large update, but still just an update.
    > Updates are rarely provided by computer manufacturers other than
    > installed.
    >
    > You can order the CD from Microsoft, shipping about 25 August.
    > Or you can download and burn to CD.
    > SP-2 as all other updates are free.
    > OS Upgrades normally cost $.
    > See #1 on this link for options:
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm
    >
    > Since Dell and other manufacturers just got SP-2 Last Thursday 5
    > August with Public release Monday 9 August, SP-2 may or may not be
    > included on new computers now sold.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    I read in the above article by October 2004.
    "Robbie2" <robbie2@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > According to http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/xpsp2.asp retail boxed
    > copies
    > of Windows XP SP2 will replace current pre-SP2 XP boxes within the next
    > few
    > weeks. If Microsoft are treating it as a new version of XP rather than
    > just
    > another (albeit large) update, presumably Dell will be including it on
    > their
    > new machines once they have finished their tests.
    >

    > "Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    >> NT 3.5 to NT4 is an OS upgrade.
    >> SP-2 is just an updates, a large update, but still just an update.
    >> Updates are rarely provided by computer manufacturers other than
    >> installed.
    >>
    >> You can order the CD from Microsoft, shipping about 25 August.
    >> Or you can download and burn to CD.
    >> SP-2 as all other updates are free.
    >> OS Upgrades normally cost $.
    >> See #1 on this link for options:
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm
    >>
    >> Since Dell and other manufacturers just got SP-2 Last Thursday 5
    >> August with Public release Monday 9 August, SP-2 may or may not be
    >> included on new computers now sold.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jupiter Jones
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    Microsoft is having its cake and eating it too. SP2 is a new version of XP,
    buit Microsoft is not treating it that way. The good news is that you don't
    have to pay for it... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 10:53:17 +0100, "Robbie2" <robbie2@invalid.invalid> wrote:

    >According to http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/xpsp2.asp retail boxed copies
    >of Windows XP SP2 will replace current pre-SP2 XP boxes within the next few
    >weeks. If Microsoft are treating it as a new version of XP rather than just
    >another (albeit large) update, presumably Dell will be including it on their
    >new machines once they have finished their tests.
    >

    >"Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    >> NT 3.5 to NT4 is an OS upgrade.
    >> SP-2 is just an updates, a large update, but still just an update.
    >> Updates are rarely provided by computer manufacturers other than
    >> installed.
    >>
    >> You can order the CD from Microsoft, shipping about 25 August.
    >> Or you can download and burn to CD.
    >> SP-2 as all other updates are free.
    >> OS Upgrades normally cost $.
    >> See #1 on this link for options:
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm
    >>
    >> Since Dell and other manufacturers just got SP-2 Last Thursday 5
    >> August with Public release Monday 9 August, SP-2 may or may not be
    >> included on new computers now sold.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jupiter Jones
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    True, just like SP-1 did.
    However the current copies on the shelf will need to be sold as well.
    So it may be hard to tell when a specific retailer will eventually
    have Windows XP with SP-2 on the shelf.

    On the other hand if you mean Microsoft is taking the older ones back
    and trading for new, I have heard that a few times but haven't seen
    any reference from Microsoft stating such.
    Generally 3rd party sites are bad references.

    --
    Jupiter Jones
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "Robbie2" <robbie2@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
    > According to http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/xpsp2.asp retail boxed
    > copies
    > of Windows XP SP2 will replace current pre-SP2 XP boxes within the
    > next few
    > weeks. If Microsoft are treating it as a new version of XP rather
    > than just
    > another (albeit large) update, presumably Dell will be including it
    > on their
    > new machines once they have finished their tests.
    >

    > "Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    >> NT 3.5 to NT4 is an OS upgrade.
    >> SP-2 is just an updates, a large update, but still just an update.
    >> Updates are rarely provided by computer manufacturers other than
    >> installed.
    >>
    >> You can order the CD from Microsoft, shipping about 25 August.
    >> Or you can download and burn to CD.
    >> SP-2 as all other updates are free.
    >> OS Upgrades normally cost $.
    >> See #1 on this link for options:
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm
    >>
    >> Since Dell and other manufacturers just got SP-2 Last Thursday 5
    >> August with Public release Monday 9 August, SP-2 may or may not be
    >> included on new computers now sold.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jupiter Jones
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "J. Rodney Grisham" <Rod.Grisham@RevexTechnologies.com> wrote in message
    > Jupiter Jones wrote:
    >
    > > NT 3.5 to NT4 is an OS upgrade.
    > > SP-2 is just an updates, a large update, but still just an update.
    > > Updates are rarely provided by computer manufacturers other than
    > > installed.
    > >
    > > You can order the CD from Microsoft, shipping about 25 August.
    > > Or you can download and burn to CD.
    > > SP-2 as all other updates are free.
    > > OS Upgrades normally cost $.
    > > See #1 on this link for options:
    > > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm
    > >
    > > Since Dell and other manufacturers just got SP-2 Last Thursday 5
    > > August with Public release Monday 9 August, SP-2 may or may not be
    > > included on new computers now sold.
    > >
    > Thanks for the link - looks like a keeper.
    >
    > With your input and that of Ben Myers, I suppose I should not care. But
    > if I can wait a short time and not have the hassles of the upgrade, I'd
    > do it. If it is going to be 45-60 days, then I don't want to wait that
    > long.
    >
    > But this reasoning is probably the reason Dell does not want to say
    > anything. Keep those orders rollin' in. :-)
    >
    > Rod

    I'm installing it as we speak. Luckily, I have a 4mbit cable connection, so
    it came down fast. So fast that I'm downloading about 12GB from MSDN.
    Gonna install Server 2003 with Exchange 2003. And maybe Longhorn.

    Tom

    I no longer have the old emails for this thread, so sorry if this was posted
    earlier. The press release from Microsoft at
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2004/aug04/08-06WinXPSP2LaunchPR.asp
    states that:

    "Preloaded PCs.
    Microsoft is working with computer manufacturers such as Dell, HP and IBM
    Corp. to ensure the manufacturers are able to ship machines preloaded with
    Windows XP Service Pack 2 beginning in September and October. "

    > "J. Rodney Grisham" <Rod.Grisham@RevexTechnologies.com> wrote in message
    > > Jupiter Jones wrote:
    > >
    > > > NT 3.5 to NT4 is an OS upgrade.
    > > > SP-2 is just an updates, a large update, but still just an update.
    > > > Updates are rarely provided by computer manufacturers other than
    > > > installed.
    > > >
    > > > You can order the CD from Microsoft, shipping about 25 August.
    > > > Or you can download and burn to CD.
    > > > SP-2 as all other updates are free.
    > > > OS Upgrades normally cost $.
    > > > See #1 on this link for options:
    > > > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm
    > > >
    > > > Since Dell and other manufacturers just got SP-2 Last Thursday 5
    > > > August with Public release Monday 9 August, SP-2 may or may not be
    > > > included on new computers now sold.
    > > >
    > > Thanks for the link - looks like a keeper.
    > >
    > > With your input and that of Ben Myers, I suppose I should not care. But
    > > if I can wait a short time and not have the hassles of the upgrade, I'd
    > > do it. If it is going to be 45-60 days, then I don't want to wait that
    > > long.
    > >
    > > But this reasoning is probably the reason Dell does not want to say
    > > anything. Keep those orders rollin' in. :-)
    > >
    > > Rod
    >
    > I'm installing it as we speak. Luckily, I have a 4mbit cable connection,
    so
    > it came down fast. So fast that I'm downloading about 12GB from MSDN.
    > Gonna install Server 2003 with Exchange 2003. And maybe Longhorn.
    >
    > Tom

    If preloaded XP2 comes to pass, the event would represent a major break from
    precedent by Microsoft. I guess Gates & Ballmer think they have taken enough
    flak about Windows security and want to be preceived as being proactive about
    it... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 09:27:42 +0100, "Robbie2" <robbie2@invalid.invalid> wrote:

    >I no longer have the old emails for this thread, so sorry if this was posted
    >earlier. The press release from Microsoft at
    >http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2004/aug04/08-06WinXPSP2LaunchPR.asp
    >states that:
    >
    >"Preloaded PCs.
    >Microsoft is working with computer manufacturers such as Dell, HP and IBM
    >Corp. to ensure the manufacturers are able to ship machines preloaded with
    >Windows XP Service Pack 2 beginning in September and October. "

    Why?
    Are you suggesting manufacturers have not sold computers with Service
    Packs already installed?
    Even if that were true, The manufacturers decide whether to include
    the updates, not Microsoft.
    Microsoft has already furnished the tools.
    Updates being installed or not is up to the manufacturers.
    Microsoft is not to blame if updates are not installed.
    Unless the fault of Microsoft is not forcing the manufacturers to
    include the updates.

    --

    > If preloaded XP2 comes to pass, the event would represent a major
    > break from
    > precedent by Microsoft. I guess Gates & Ballmer think they have
    > taken enough
    > flak about Windows security and want to be preceived as being
    > proactive about
    > it... Ben Myers

    True, mfrs have sold computers with SPs installed. For example, new Dells out
    of the box have SP1 installed. This is a start. But for the typical new Dell,
    approximately 40MB of downloads and a couple of reboots are needed to get a
    system up to speed with Critical Fixes and Security Patches, not to mention
    functional updates (mostly defect corrections) that Microsoft has not placed in
    either category. The bottom line is that the typical consumer buying a Dell
    often lacks either the know-how or the bandwidth to get his/her computer up to
    the latest level for as-safe-as-can-be-in-Windows computing. This is not a
    recipe for a safer and more secure internet.

    Still, this is a marked improvement over Windows 95 and 98 days, when mfrs
    continued to ship brain-dead and half-baked Windows 95A when Windows 95B was
    available. Likewise, the original Windows 98 showed up on a lot of machines
    long after the markedly improved Windows 98 Second Edition was available.

    In short, what the manufacturers can and cannot do with Microsoft products is
    clearly delineated and often limited by their contract with Microsoft. If XP
    SP1 is out and available and stable, you are right. There is no excuse for a
    manufacturer not to slip-stream it into the machine build process. But one
    needs to know the details of the contact before determining who is imposing the
    limit on what updates can be installed at the "factory"... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > If preloaded XP2 comes to pass, the event would represent a major break from
    > precedent by Microsoft. I guess Gates & Ballmer think they have taken enough
    > flak about Windows security and want to be preceived as being proactive about
    > it... Ben Myers

    What do you mean - my Dim 4550 came loaded with XP Pro w/SP1?

    XP Pro pre-loaded with SP1. Yes. And no doubt lacking another 40MB or so of
    Critical Fixes, Security Patches and other useful updates deemed less critical
    by Microsoft. See my other recent posting, too... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > XP Pro pre-loaded with SP1. Yes. And no doubt lacking another 40MB or so of
    > Critical Fixes, Security Patches and other useful updates deemed less critical
    > by Microsoft. See my other recent posting, too... Ben Myers

    Saw it after I posted. SP2 will have updates after a couple of months,
    as well. After we're talking Microsoft here. ;)

Dell Windows XP Computers