[DoomRL] YABD - yet another brutal death

okay...i enter phobos 14 without any medkits whatsoever and guess what.
6 cacodemons and 4 barrels right next to the entrance. awesome! use the
time while they notice me to back up and shoot the barrels. Got some of
them but than another 2 showed up and finally being cornered and sadly
outnumbered, went down. A truly fun rouglike nevertheless.
here is the dump of my poooor poor blown up marine:
(the reason why I am not wearing armor is not because I am a retard, but
it was shot off me in that fatal last round when i was hit 4 times by
the demons)

DoomRL (v.0.9.6 (beta)) roguelike post-mortem character dump

Artagas, level 4 soldier, killed by a cacodemon
on level 14 of the Phobos base.
He survived 66039 turns and scored 13470 points.
He ventured into the Halls of Carnage.
He found the Hell's Armory.

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health -8/50 Experience 9930/4
ToHit +0 ToDmg Ranged +2 ToDmg Melee +2

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Tough as nails (Level 1)
Son of a bitch (Level 2)
Cateye (Level 1)

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor ] nothing
[ Weapon ] double shotgun (4d4)x2 [2/2]
[c] [ Boots ] steel boots [2/2] (96%)

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] blue armor [2/2] (100%)
blue armor [2/2] (92%)
[c] rapid pistol (2d4) [1/6]
[d] rocket launcher (4d4) [1/1]
[e] chaingun (1d6)x5 [19/50]
[f] 10mm ammo (x100)
[g] 10mm ammo (x100)
[h] 10mm ammo (x100)
shotgun shell (x32)
[j] shotgun shell (x50)
[k] shotgun shell (x50)
[l] shotgun shell (x50)
[m] shotgun shell (x50)
[n] rocket (x10)
[o] rocket (x10)
[p] rocket (x10)
[q] power cell (x50)

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

24 former humans
42 former human sergeants
14 former human captains
19 imps
19 demons
25 lost souls
13 cacodemons
2 barons of hell
6 hell knights

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

Before him 3 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
2 of those were killed.
And 1 couldn't handle the stress and commited a stupid suicide.

begin quoting Artagas <joodaniataxelerodothu@figure.for.yourself>:
>okay...i enter phobos 14 without any medkits whatsoever and guess what.
>6 cacodemons and 4 barrels right next to the entrance. awesome!

Bad luck. I suppose you had no phase devices?
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is Gouday, January.

> Bad luck. I suppose you had no phase devices?

Nope. I'd have used it:) I have found only one during the whole journey
and I was forced to use it earlier on.

I really like YABD -- seems an appropariate tag for DoomRL deaths ;-).

> -- Traits ----------------------------------------------------
>
> Tough as nails (Level 1)
> Son of a bitch (Level 2)
> Cateye (Level 1)

The traits people pick are almost always the same -- will need to do some
balancing.

> -- Kills -----------------------------------------------------
>
> 24 former humans
> 42 former human sergeants
> 14 former human captains
> 19 imps
> 19 demons
> 25 lost souls
> 13 cacodemons
> 2 barons of hell
> 6 hell knights

You almost found the arachnotrons ;-)

> -- General ---------------------------------------------------
>
> Before him 3 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
> 2 of those were killed.
> And 1 couldn't handle the stress and commited a stupid suicide.

:)
Barrel?

regards,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> I really like YABD -- seems an appropariate tag for DoomRL deaths ;-).
>

>>-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------
>>
>> Tough as nails (Level 1)
>> Son of a bitch (Level 2)
>> Cateye (Level 1)
>

> The traits people pick are almost always the same -- will need to do some
> balancing.

Indeed. Although the above three I found equally useful. It is just that
they were significantly more useful than the rest. Like reload, or the
pistol skill are too weapon specific (reload is only useful for
shotties) and extra movement is worth little, since most of the
dangerous foes are shooting anyhow.

>>-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------
>>
>> 24 former humans
>> 42 former human sergeants
>> 14 former human captains
>> 19 imps
>> 19 demons
>> 25 lost souls
>> 13 cacodemons
>> 2 barons of hell
>> 6 hell knights
>

> You almost found the arachnotrons ;-)

The who? Almost? hmm?
If you are referring to the special levels it was suspicious i missed
something during my 2 trips to the Halls of Carnage, but couldnt figure
how to get those doors open.

>>-- General ---------------------------------------------------
>>
>> Before him 3 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
>> 2 of those were killed.
>> And 1 couldn't handle the stress and commited a stupid suicide.
>

> :)
> Barrel?
>
> regards,
> Kornel Kisielewicz

Haha, yeah. It was my first marine. I was like "Yay, a sergeant standing
next to a barrel, lets show the bastard who is the smart man on board!"
(f, target barrel, shoot) "Oh, wait, there is 4 more barrels in the
room, wait, cancel, cancel...oh...nevermind" -splash-
btw, would be nice if when targetting you could select barrels via
pressing tab. though it would be a bit accident-prone...

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> I really like YABD -- seems an appropariate tag for DoomRL deaths ;-).
>

>>-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------
>>
>> Tough as nails (Level 1)
>> Son of a bitch (Level 2)
>> Cateye (Level 1)
>

> The traits people pick are almost always the same -- will need to do some
> balancing.

How about introducing the 'packrat' (more ammo/slot or more inventory
slots) and 'pharma friendly' (more health/medpack, longer berserk time)
traits from System Shock 2?

Lars

Lars Kecke wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>> I really like YABD -- seems an appropariate tag for DoomRL deaths
>> ;-).
>>> -- Traits ----------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> Tough as nails (Level 1)
>>> Son of a bitch (Level 2)
>>> Cateye (Level 1)
>>

>> The traits people pick are almost always the same -- will need to do
>> some balancing.
>
> How about introducing the 'packrat' (more ammo/slot or more inventory
> slots) and 'pharma friendly' (more health/medpack, longer berserk
> time) traits from System Shock 2?

I don't want to break the limitation of 20 items. I may introduce something
like a backpack though -- more ammo in one slot. The second one is quite
possible though.

regards,
Kornel Kisielewicz