I know what DoomRL needs! Keycards! Yes, the classic Doom keycards. As
it stands, most of the levels could be finished without checking half of
the rooms and on the later levels it's probably better to Ironman to
lvl20 (because I always explore the rest of the level and end up with
less life than I had before). So, some levels should have up to three
keycards for three doors which are openable only using these keycards.

Finally, a screenshot of my last character who got killed after stupidly
running into a room with two hell knights and thinking that rocket
launcher would take care of them. Should've probably use that scroll of
tele... eh... phase device.

E:\games\DOOMRL>E:\games\DOOMRL\doomrl.bat

#####################

#••••••••••••••0#•••#

#•••••••••••••••#•••#

#•••••••••••••••#•••#

#•••••••••••••••#•••#

#••••••••••••0••#•••#

#•##############••••••••••••••#•••#

••••••••••••••••/•••%••••••••••/•••#

••••••••••••••••#•••••••••••••••#•••#

•••••••••••••••••#•••••••••••••••#•••#

•••••••••••••••••#•••••••••••••••#•••#

••••••••••••••••••#•••••••••••••••#•••#
•••••B•••An unhandled exception
occurred
at 0x000186D5 :
•••••••••••••••••#•••••••••••••••#•••#
ERANGEERROR : Range check error
•••••••••••••••••#•••••••••••••••#•••#
0x000186D5 TPLAYER__PLAYERFIRE, line 464 of
dfplayer.pas•••••••••••0••#•••#
0x000198F1 TPLAYER__AICONTROL, line 651 of
dfplayer.pas############/#######
0x5F5F5245 main, line 46 of ./arena/botlex.pas
#•••••••••••••••••••#
An unhandled exception occurred at 0x00057002 :
#•••••••••••••••••••#
EACCESSVIOLATION : Access violation ###
#####################
0x00057002 Armor : red armor [2/4] (28%) Phobos
Base
0x00085160 main, line 46 of ./arena/botlex.paser (4d4) [1/Level 12
aggresive

--
|a\o/r|,-------------.,---------- Timofei Shatrov aka Grue ------------.
| m"a ||FC AMKAR PERM|| mail: grue at mail.ru http://grue3.tripod.com |
| k || PWNZ J00 || KoL:Grue3 NationStates:Holypunkeye |
`-----'`-------------'`-------------------------------------------[4*72]

Timofei Shatrov wrote:
> I know what DoomRL needs! Keycards! Yes, the classic Doom keycards. As
> it stands, most of the levels could be finished without checking half
> of the rooms and on the later levels it's probably better to Ironman
> to lvl20 (because I always explore the rest of the level and end up
> with less life than I had before). So, some levels should have up to
> three keycards for three doors which are openable only using these
> keycards.

I like that idea -- I looked for a way to include keycards in DoomRL. The
way it would work is that there would be yellow, blue, and red keycards, and
corresponding doors. Opening such a door would use up a keycard of
corresponding color. Contrary to doom, you could have many keycards of the
same type (they would stack). Some vaults with goodies would be locked with
a key. Yellow keys could lock simple vaults (that if needed could be just
rocketed open) with some small reward or even none. Blue vaults couldn't be
broken into and would be rarer -- they would usualy have a ammo cache (and a
suitable guardian). Red keycard would be realy rare. They could lock doors
to some special rooms, sometimes even on special levels. Big guards, and a
big reward (like a BFG). What do you think of this?

> Finally, a screenshot of my last character who got killed after
> stupidly running into a room with two hell knights and thinking that
> rocket launcher would take care of them. Should've probably use that
> scroll of tele... eh... phase device.

This one might be fixed already, but I won't give my head for that. Watch
the next release closely.

regards,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001

Kornel Kisielewicz .-- .-. --- - . ---...

> I like that idea -- I looked for a way to include keycards in DoomRL. The
> way it would work is that there would be yellow, blue, and red keycards, and
> corresponding doors. Opening such a door would use up a keycard of
> corresponding color. Contrary to doom, you could have many keycards of the
> same type (they would stack). Some vaults with goodies would be locked with
> a key. Yellow keys could lock simple vaults (that if needed could be just
> rocketed open) with some small reward or even none. Blue vaults couldn't be
> broken into and would be rarer -- they would usualy have a ammo cache (and a
> suitable guardian). Red keycard would be realy rare. They could lock doors
> to some special rooms, sometimes even on special levels. Big guards, and a
> big reward (like a BFG). What do you think of this?

Very nice idea. I suggest also red keys located as award in blue valts,
etc.

--
Loonie
---------------------------------------

quoting Kornel Kisielewicz <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl>:
>I like that idea -- I looked for a way to include keycards in DoomRL. The
>way it would work is that there would be yellow, blue, and red keycards, and
>corresponding doors. Opening such a door would use up a keycard of
>corresponding color. Contrary to doom, you could have many keycards of the
>same type (they would stack). Some vaults with goodies would be locked with
>a key.

I think you'd want to ensure a reasonable supply of keycards, such that a
player who explores fully and doesn't blow up things willy-nilly won't
miss out on any vaults.

Also, you'd want to avoid the case where you phase device into a vault you
can't escape.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is Oneiros, February.

David Damerell wrote:
> quoting Kornel Kisielewicz <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl>:
>> I like that idea -- I looked for a way to include keycards in
>> DoomRL. The way it would work is that there would be yellow, blue,
>> and red keycards, and corresponding doors. Opening such a door would
>> use up a keycard of corresponding color. Contrary to doom, you could
>> have many keycards of the same type (they would stack). Some vaults
>> with goodies would be locked with a key.
>
> I think you'd want to ensure a reasonable supply of keycards, such
> that a player who explores fully and doesn't blow up things
> willy-nilly won't miss out on any vaults.

Yes.

> Also, you'd want to avoid the case where you phase device into a
> vault you can't escape.

Vaults would be NO_TELE squares. Like _one_ square on Phobos Arena ;-)

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001

Kornel Kisielewicz .-- .-. --- - . ---...

>> Also, you'd want to avoid the case where you phase device into a
>> vault you can't escape.
> Vaults would be NO_TELE squares. Like _one_ square on Phobos Arena ;-)

Why? Telefragging cyberdemon is a ultimate luck victory i guess. :)

--
Loonie
---------------------------------------

Loonie wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz .-- .-. --- - . ---...
>
>>> Also, you'd want to avoid the case where you phase device into a
>>> vault you can't escape.
>> Vaults would be NO_TELE squares. Like _one_ square on Phobos Arena
>> ;-)
>
> Why? Telefragging cyberdemon is a ultimate luck victory i guess. :)

*wrong* ;-). I said one particular square, not one place :-D.
About the cyberdemon -- if there would be a teleporter on the level, you
could possibly frag him ;-). A phase device never frags. Or maybe...