[DoomRL] Poll, please vote ;-)

Last response: in Video Games
February 2, 2005 7:14:58 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Ok, here goes.

DISCLAIMER: This vote by no means forces me to do anything. I retain the
right to do it my way disregarding the results. I just want to get a general
overview of what people statisticaly would like and what not ;-)

Vote: For/Against/NoOpinion.

1. Remove Assault Shotgun.

2. Combat Knife instead of the Axe

3. The new Shotgun implementation

4. New Weapon : Railgun

5. New Weapon : Lightning Gun

6. New Weapon : Submachine gun

7. New Weapon : BFG10k (hard to find)

8. New Dodge system

9. "Bullet time" dodge system

10. Proposed difficulty level system

11. Standard Doomish difficulty level system

12. Single-fire mode for the chaingun

13. More realism

14. Keep limited inventory

regards,
Kornel Kisielewicz

More about : doomrl poll vote

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 7:14:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

1 Against. I like shooting off 4 shells, ducking behind a wall,
reloading, and repeating.
2 If the stats dont change, for
3 Against. Why bother making the shotgun hold 4 shells when you already
have something that does that?
4 Yes.
5 Hmm... Maybe.
6 Yes. Another 9mm bullet eater would be good.
7 HELL YES!
8 Yes.
9 Maybe leaning towards against. Not really the matrix, wouldn't really
give a advantage that i could see...
10 Yes. It'd let everyone enjoy and possibly finish the game.
11 Yes! Making the computer fudge the creature spawning calculations so
that there's more baddies or ammo in there would be sweet.
12 Why not? Yes.
13 YES, but only if it's fair. Moving behind a wall to reload is fun
(gives some more action to the game) but knowing that you'd lose a
fight against 4 or more semi-weak enemies with a chaingun wouldn't be
fun.
14 Not really needed. You should only have a few weapons/ammo types
anyways.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 7:14:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

1 Against. I like shooting off 4 shells, ducking behind a wall,
reloading, and repeating.
2 If the stats dont change, for
3 Against. Why bother making the shotgun hold 4 shells when you already
have something that does that?
4 Yes.
5 Hmm... Maybe.
6 Yes. Another 9mm bullet eater would be good.
7 HELL YES!
8 Yes.
9 Maybe leaning towards against. Not really the matrix, wouldn't really
give a advantage that i could see...
10 Yes. It'd let everyone enjoy and possibly finish the game.
11 Yes! Making the computer fudge the creature spawning calculations so
that there's more baddies or ammo in there would be sweet.
12 Why not? Yes.
13 YES, but only if it's fair. Moving behind a wall to reload is fun
(gives some more action to the game) but knowing that you'd lose a
fight against 4 or more semi-weak enemies with a chaingun wouldn't be
fun.
14 Not really needed. You should only have a few weapons/ammo types
anyways.
February 2, 2005 7:14:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

1 Against. I like shooting off 4 shells, ducking behind a wall,
reloading, and repeating.
2 If the stats dont change, for
3 Against. Why bother making the shotgun hold 4 shells when you already
have something that does that?
4 Yes.
5 Hmm... Maybe.
6 Yes. Another 9mm bullet eater would be good.
7 HELL YES!
8 Yes.
9 Maybe leaning towards against. Not really the matrix, wouldn't really
give a advantage that i could see...
10 Yes. It'd let everyone enjoy and possibly finish the game.
11 Yes! Making the computer fudge the creature spawning calculations so
that there's more baddies or ammo in there would be sweet.
12 Why not? Yes.
13 YES, but only if it's fair. Moving behind a wall to reload is fun
(gives some more action to the game) but knowing that you'd lose a
fight against 4 or more semi-weak enemies with a chaingun wouldn't be
fun.
14 Not really needed. You should only have a few weapons/ammo types
anyways.
February 2, 2005 7:14:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

> 1. Remove Assault Shotgun.

For

> 2. Combat Knife instead of the Axe

For

> 3. The new Shotgun implementation

For

> 4. New Weapon : Railgun

Against (not a Doom weapon! what next - Shuriken Cannons????)

> 5. New Weapon : Lightning Gun

See above

> 6. New Weapon : Submachine gun

See above

> 7. New Weapon : BFG10k (hard to find)

See above

> 8. New Dodge system

Definitely for

> 9. "Bullet time" dodge system

Against (I think this would be too literal a copy of the original
games)

> 10. Proposed difficulty level system

Against

> 11. Standard Doomish difficulty level system

Mildly for

> 12. Single-fire mode for the chaingun

Against (use a pistol, mate!)

> 13. More realism

Against (like the original Doom was realistic...?!)
> 14. Keep limited inventory

For

A.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 7:14:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

>1. Remove Assault Shotgun.
For
>2. Combat Knife instead of the Axe
For
>3. The new Shotgun implementation
For
>4. New Weapon : Railgun
Oh yeah!
>5. New Weapon : Lightning Gun
No Opinion
>6. New Weapon : Submachine gun
No Opinion
>7. New Weapon : BFG10k (hard to find)
For
>8. New Dodge system
For
>9. "Bullet time" dodge system
Against
>10. Proposed difficulty level system
No Opinion
>11. Standard Doomish difficulty level system
For(?)
>12. Single-fire mode for the chaingun
Against, use the pistol!
>13. More realism
Against, zombies and hell creatures aren't real and would have to go!
>14. Keep limited inventory
Slightly Against, more ammo per inventory "slot"
February 2, 2005 7:14:59 AM

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> Ok, here goes.
>
> DISCLAIMER: This vote by no means forces me to do anything. I retain
> the right to do it my way disregarding the results. I just want to
> get a general overview of what people statisticaly would like and
> what not ;-)
>
> Vote: For/Against/NoOpinion.
>
> 1. Remove Assault Shotgun.

Absolutely. Get that thing out, tweak the behavior of the default shotgun.

> 2. Combat Knife instead of the Axe

Sure, why not?

> 3. The new Shotgun implementation

Yup, one of them at least ;)

> 4. New Weapon : Railgun

Yes

> 5. New Weapon : Lightning Gun

No

> 6. New Weapon : Submachine gun

No

> 7. New Weapon : BFG10k (hard to find)

Sure

> 8. New Dodge system

Depends entirely on implementation, I've only seen it mentioned in bits and
pieces - you should have included the details here ;)

> 9. "Bullet time" dodge system

Same deal

> 10. Proposed difficulty level system

Follow Doom's difficulty levels

> 11. Standard Doomish difficulty level system

Yes

> 12. Single-fire mode for the chaingun

Absolutely not O_o Where did this come from?

> 13. More realism

Lord no!

> 14. Keep limited inventory

Absolutely
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 7:14:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 04:14:58 +0100, "Kornel Kisielewicz"
<kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> wrote:

>Vote: For/Against/NoOpinion.
>
>1. Remove Assault Shotgun.

For, given regular shotgun gets reasonably upgraded. Two types of base
shotguns are enough.

>2. Combat Knife instead of the Axe

For

>3. The new Shotgun implementation

I'd have preferred walk-and-reload, but I guess For compared to old.

>4. New Weapon : Railgun
>5. New Weapon : Lightning Gun
>6. New Weapon : Submachine gun

Against all three

>7. New Weapon : BFG10k (hard to find)

No Opinion

>8. New Dodge system

For

>9. "Bullet time" dodge system

Against

>10. Proposed difficulty level system

Against

>11. Standard Doomish difficulty level system

No Opinion

>12. Single-fire mode for the chaingun

Against

>13. More realism

Too vague to have an opinion, but this is a game, not a simulation,
realism shouldn't be a major design goal, especially given the genre.

>14. Keep limited inventory

Depends on what you replaced it with.

R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 7:14:59 AM

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> Ok, here goes.
>
> DISCLAIMER: This vote by no means forces me to do anything. I retain
the
> right to do it my way disregarding the results. I just want to get a
general
> overview of what people statisticaly would like and what not ;-)
>
> Vote: For/Against/NoOpinion.

How about having an options setting were you can select 'use only
classic doom weapons' or 'include extra weapons'. Just a thought.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 7:14:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

(Very sorry for the 3x post earlier, but google groups isn't exactly
perfect.)
Now that my internet is working properly, i'll give my reasons for what
i said and hopefully sway some of your opionions over to "yes":

For the shotgun alterations i said no. This is because... well...
"standard shotgun will have ­a magazine of 4. One pressing of 'r' will
pump one shell into the magazine, t­he second [press in a row] will
reload all shells"
It's exactly as the assualt shotgun is. Why make all that time spent
coding in the assualt shotgun a waste? Just make the shotgun reload
faster or the assualt reload slower if you think it's underused or
over-shadowed by the other shotties. As well, there are always shotgun
shells laying around the base and it never hurts to find new ways to
eat a common (possibly *the* most common) ammo type.

New weapons... Well, why the hell not? The SMG would eat all the early
9mm rounds found and could push the chaingun's appearance a bit later
into the game. It was in Doom 3 - thus disputing the "it's not doom!"
whine.. erm.. "argument" - and proved useful on most early baddies in
doom 3... Why not? I see the SMG slightly weaker then the chaingun
firing 3 shots with a 30 round magazine that uses the 9mm ammo type.

The Railgun could peirce walls and enemies, not necessarilly be a
1-hitter, but certainly powerful... It'd need it's own ammo, but that
wouldn't be too bad. The Lightning gun would finally provide a use for
the pools of water generated on levels and could make a sort of
chain-lightning effect... And another eater of power cells. Now, the
last two may not be from the Doom series, but they're still *possible*
in the Doom universe. After all, who said this took place during doom
1? or doom 3? or doom 6? (and if Kornel did please say so) As well,
having hordes of ravenous demons after your ass will make you want to
explore more powerful weaponery choices. Surely the BFG 9000 isn't the
best the UAC can come up with!

Difficulty levels - especially dynamic ones - are always nice to have,
since not everyone may be a hard-core roguelike player that can beat
Angband in a day. Some people have played Angband for years and STILL
havn't won, and yet more still havn't been even *halfway* down. A
terrible plague if it were to be contracted by DoomRL.

For realism i said yes. Now, it may seem insane but read me:
- If the shotgun pellets acted realistically they would be unable to do
much damage at long range, not because so few pellets hit but because
the pellets would become less powerful the longer the distance they
traveled. Possibly the same for a Imp's and Caco's fire ball/energy
ball; it'd burn itself out of existance/dissapate it's energy if it
traveled far and long enough.
- If the chaingun acted realistically the bullets wouldn't all move in
the same strait line, but would instead stray one or two tiles in a
different direction, giving a more realistic spread. Same for the other
multi-shot weapons, like the Plasma gun and the proposed SMG... Such a
thing could also be useful, killing nearby enemies but also dangerous
at the same time by hitting a nearby barrel.
- Melee weapons would be deadlier; chainsaws can do a *lot* of damage
to meaty subjects, and someone trained in knife combat can take someone
down very easilly.
- Ammo and powerful weapons would be very difficult to come by... they
would only be held on dead bodies and armories.

Now, i do not... nay, i never suggest anything to do with absolute
realism; Nor do i suggest total fantasy. Properly thought out realism
ideas like the four above would work well with any game, but it's the
"Realism is absolute" idea/thought that turns everyone (or almost
everyone) away from putting in some sort of realism mechanic(s) in
their game. As well, if there's a bit more realism and Kornel puts
headshots into the game he'd also put something in to counter it, im
sure, like a helmet (that actually does something) with multiple
versions going from basic to elite.

As well, those new weapons may be used by enemies, and perhaps even
bosses. Imagine the cyber demon cycling through a SMG, Rocket Launcher,
and Rail gun... THAT would be a challenge worthy of a lightning gun or
BFG 10k! And while we're on weapons, what about the soul cube?
Heh.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 7:14:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

> 2. Combat Knife instead of the Axe

how about both? pessing the '1' again will switch between them?

> 4. New Weapon : Railgun

for

> 5. New Weapon : Lightning Gun

for

> 6. New Weapon : Submachine gun

for

> 7. New Weapon : BFG10k (hard to find)

for

> 9. "Bullet time" dodge system

against (keep things simple- IMHO this will make the gameplay more
complicated without adding much to it)

> 10. Proposed difficulty level system

against

11. Standard Doomish difficulty level system

for

12. Single-fire mode for the chaingun

for

13. More realism

against (a game should be as fun as possible, if it means less
realistic)

14. Keep limited inventory

for (people shouldn't carry an entire military supply in their backpack
- and it's more doom-like: limited ammo.)
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 9:57:26 AM

<kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> tried to confuse everyone with this message:

>Ok, here goes.
>
>DISCLAIMER: This vote by no means forces me to do anything. I retain the
>right to do it my way disregarding the results. I just want to get a general
>overview of what people statisticaly would like and what not ;-)
>
>Vote: For/Against/NoOpinion.
>
>1. Remove Assault Shotgun.

Never encountered one... As such, it must be rare, so it's probably ok.

>2. Combat Knife instead of the Axe

Either way no one uses them.

>3. The new Shotgun implementation

I think the old shotgun was already much better than pistol, so no need
to overpower it even more.

>4. New Weapon : Railgun
>5. New Weapon : Lightning Gun
No.

>6. New Weapon : Submachine gun
>7. New Weapon : BFG10k (hard to find)
Maybe, although I prefer more ego-weapons introduced. Double shotgun of
dodging! Cool, eh?

>8. New Dodge system
>9. "Bullet time" dodge system
What are these again?

>10. Proposed difficulty level system
>11. Standard Doomish difficulty level system
Standard one.

>12. Single-fire mode for the chaingun
No. BTW, am I the only one who prefers shooting monsters with chaingun
after finding one?

>13. More realism
Like being shot in the head kills you instantly? Hell no!

>14. Keep limited inventory
It certainly shouldn't be unlimited.
--
|a\o/r|,-------------.,---------- Timofei Shatrov aka Grue ------------.
| m"a ||FC AMKAR PERM|| mail: grue at mail.ru http://grue3.tripod.com |
| k || PWNZ J00 || KoL:Grue3 NationStates:Holypunkeye |
`-----'`-------------'`-------------------------------------------[4*72]
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 11:40:25 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

New weapons are always good.
The Limited Inventory makes this game more fun IMHO.
February 2, 2005 12:26:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

> > And while we're on weapons, what about the
> > soul cube?
>
> Soul cube? You mean the boss from DII?

No! It's the code-name for the new, in-development Microsoft gaming
console.
February 2, 2005 12:35:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

> 1. Remove Assault Shotgun.
For

> 2. Combat Knife instead of the Axe
NoOp

> 3. The new Shotgun implementation
NoOp

> 4. New Weapon : Railgun
For

> 5. New Weapon : Lightning Gun
For

> 6. New Weapon : Submachine gun
NoOp

> 7. New Weapon : BFG10k (hard to find)
Against

> 8. New Dodge system
For

> 9. "Bullet time" dodge system
NoOp

> 10. Proposed difficulty level system
NoOp

> 11. Standard Doomish difficulty level system
NoOp

> 12. Single-fire mode for the chaingun
Against

> 13. More realism
Against

> 14. Keep limited inventory
For

--
ru
Anonymous

Kornel Kisielewicz schrieb:
> 1. Remove Assault Shotgun.
Against
> 2. Combat Knife instead of the Axe
NoOpinion
> 3. The new Shotgun implementation
For
> 4. New Weapon : Railgun
For
> 5. New Weapon : Lightning Gun
For
> 6. New Weapon : Submachine gun
For
> 7. New Weapon : BFG10k (hard to find)
For
> 8. New Dodge system
For
> 9. "Bullet time" dodge system
Against
> 10. Proposed difficulty level system
NoOpinion
> 11. Standard Doomish difficulty level system
NoOpinion
> 12. Single-fire mode for the chaingun
For
> 13. More realism
Against
> 14. Keep limited inventory
For

So Long, The Werelion!
February 2, 2005 4:32:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Kornel Kisielewicz .-- .-. --- - . ---...

> Ok, here goes.
>
> DISCLAIMER: This vote by no means forces me to do anything. I retain the
> right to do it my way disregarding the results. I just want to get a general
> overview of what people statisticaly would like and what not ;-)
>
> Vote: For/Against/NoOpinion.
>
> 1. Remove Assault Shotgun.
+ it's the new shotgun implementation anyway AFAIK
+
+
+
+
> 7. New Weapon : BFG10k (hard to find)
no opinion
> 8. New Dodge system
no opinion
-
> 10. Proposed difficulty level system
+
> 11. Standard Doomish difficulty level system
+
> 12. Single-fire mode for the chaingun
Against for chaingun, I vote for single mode for submachine gun and dbl
shotgun

+
> 14. Keep limited inventory
- after introduction of 3 new weapons and probably new ammo?!

--
Loonie
---------------------------------------

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

necromancer_90@hotmail.com .-- .-. --- - . ---...

> For realism i said yes. Now, it may seem insane but read me:
> - If the shotgun pellets acted realistically they would be unable to do
> much damage at long range, not because so few pellets hit but because
> the pellets would become less powerful the longer the distance they
> traveled. Possibly the same for a Imp's and Caco's fire ball/energy
> ball; it'd burn itself out of existance/dissapate it's energy if it
> traveled far and long enough.
> - If the chaingun acted realistically the bullets wouldn't all move in
> the same strait line, but would instead stray one or two tiles in a
> different direction, giving a more realistic spread. Same for the other
> multi-shot weapons, like the Plasma gun and the proposed SMG... Such a
> thing could also be useful, killing nearby enemies but also dangerous
> at the same time by hitting a nearby barrel.
> - Melee weapons would be deadlier; chainsaws can do a *lot* of damage
> to meaty subjects, and someone trained in knife combat can take someone
> down very easilly.
> - Ammo and powerful weapons would be very difficult to come by... they
> would only be held on dead bodies and armories.
>
> Now, i do not... nay, i never suggest anything to do with absolute
> realism; Nor do i suggest total fantasy. Properly thought out realism
> ideas like the four above would work well with any game, but it's the
> "Realism is absolute" idea/thought that turns everyone (or almost
> everyone) away from putting in some sort of realism mechanic(s) in
> their game. As well, if there's a bit more realism and Kornel puts
> headshots into the game he'd also put something in to counter it, im
> sure, like a helmet (that actually does something) with multiple
> versions going from basic to elite.

For. :-) In fact I support fully all the ideas, especially the leading one
about not-so-absolute-but-anyway-realism. Physics works also in s-f.

--
Loonie
---------------------------------------
Respondit Pilatus quod scripsi scripsi.
http://www.crawl.webpark.pl
February 2, 2005 4:51:55 PM

+
+
+
> 7. New Weapon : BFG10k (hard to find)
no opinion
> 8. New Dodge system
no opinion
-

+
> 14. Keep limited inventory
?- Keep limited but not of actual size if new weapons and probably ammo
will be introduced.

--
Loonie
---------------------------------------
Respondit Pilatus quod scripsi scripsi.
http://www.crawl.webpark.pl
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 5:01:29 PM

Uzytkownik wrote:
> 1 Against. I like shooting off 4 shells, ducking behind a wall,
> reloading, and repeating.

That would be the way the normal shotgun would work.

> 2 If the stats dont change, for

Maybe they will be higher.

regards,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 5:03:57 PM

Marcus wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>> 8. New Dodge system
>
> Depends entirely on implementation, I've only seen it mentioned in
> bits and pieces - you should have included the details here ;)

The one I wrote in "Design Issues - Results"

>> 9. "Bullet time" dodge system
>
> Same deal

The one proposed that bullets will hang in mid air.

>> 10. Proposed difficulty level system
>
> Follow Doom's difficulty levels

That is a "Against" right?

>> 11. Standard Doomish difficulty level system
>
> Yes
>
>> 12. Single-fire mode for the chaingun
>
> Absolutely not O_o Where did this come from?

Loonie ;-).

regards,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 5:05:05 PM

R. Dan Henry wrote:
>> 14. Keep limited inventory
>
> Depends on what you replaced it with.

Unlimited inventory ;-)

regards,
Kornel
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 5:05:59 PM

"Kornel Kisielewicz" <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> writes:

>Vote: For/Against/NoOpinion.

>1. Remove Assault Shotgun.

No opinion.

>2. Combat Knife instead of the Axe

No opinion.

>3. The new Shotgun implementation

For.

>4. New Weapon : Railgun

No opinion.

>5. New Weapon : Lightning Gun

For.

>6. New Weapon : Submachine gun

For.

>7. New Weapon : BFG10k (hard to find)

For.

>8. New Dodge system

For.

>9. "Bullet time" dodge system

Against.

>10. Proposed difficulty level system

Against.

>11. Standard Doomish difficulty level system

For.

>12. Single-fire mode for the chaingun

Against.

>13. More realism

Against.

>14. Keep limited inventory

For.

-Jukka
--
Jukka Kuusisto
Anonymous

Timofei Shatrov wrote:
>> Vote: For/Against/NoOpinion.
>>
>> 1. Remove Assault Shotgun.
>
> Never encountered one... As such, it must be rare, so it's probably
> ok.

It's basically a shotgun with a four bullet magazine.

>> 2. Combat Knife instead of the Axe
>
> Either way no one uses them.

People do ;-). That's a For Against or NoOpinion?

>> 3. The new Shotgun implementation
>
> I think the old shotgun was already much better than pistol, so no
> need to overpower it even more.

The shotgun will be rebalanced.
That's a Against or NoOpinion?

>> 6. New Weapon : Submachine gun
>> 7. New Weapon : BFG10k (hard to find)
> Maybe, although I prefer more ego-weapons introduced. Double shotgun
> of dodging! Cool, eh?

That's a For or NoOpinion?

>> 8. New Dodge system
>> 9. "Bullet time" dodge system
> What are these again?

New Dodge system is the one proposed in "Design Issues - Results". Bullet
time is the system, where bullets fly so they can hang in mid air when you
have your turn. (like BulletTime in Matrix ;D)

>> 10. Proposed difficulty level system
>> 11. Standard Doomish difficulty level system
> Standard one.

That means Against and For, right?

>> 12. Single-fire mode for the chaingun
> No. BTW, am I the only one who prefers shooting monsters with chaingun
> after finding one?

Some people do.

regards,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 5:09:45 PM

MrHat wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>> Ok, here goes.
>>
>> DISCLAIMER: This vote by no means forces me to do anything. I retain
>> the right to do it my way disregarding the results. I just want to
>> get a general overview of what people statisticaly would like and
>> what not ;-)
>>
>> Vote: For/Against/NoOpinion.
>
> How about having an options setting were you can select 'use only
> classic doom weapons' or 'include extra weapons'. Just a thought.

That would make scoring difficult, and also would make me do work that only
a part of the people would enjoy :-/

regards,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 5:17:53 PM

Uzytkownik wrote:
> (Very sorry for the 3x post earlier, but google groups isn't exactly
> perfect.)
> Now that my internet is working properly, i'll give my reasons for
> what i said and hopefully sway some of your opionions over to "yes":
>
> For the shotgun alterations i said no. This is because... well...
> "standard shotgun will have ­a magazine of 4. One pressing of 'r' will
> pump one shell into the magazine, t­he second [press in a row] will
> reload all shells"
> It's exactly as the assualt shotgun is. Why make all that time spent
> coding in the assualt shotgun a waste? Just make the shotgun reload
> faster or the assualt reload slower if you think it's underused or
> over-shadowed by the other shotties. As well, there are always shotgun
> shells laying around the base and it never hurts to find new ways to
> eat a common (possibly *the* most common) ammo type.

People want a shotgun that can be used quickly and ahotgun-like. Assault
shotgun was a rare weapon. Also coding in assault shotgun took 5 minutes, so
it's not a waste ;-).

> The Railgun could peirce walls and enemies, not necessarilly be a
> 1-hitter, but certainly powerful... It'd need it's own ammo, but that
> wouldn't be too bad. The Lightning gun would finally provide a use for
> the pools of water generated on levels and could make a sort of
> chain-lightning effect... And another eater of power cells. Now, the
> last two may not be from the Doom series, but they're still *possible*
> in the Doom universe. After all, who said this took place during doom
> 1? or doom 3? or doom 6? (and if Kornel did please say so) As well,
> having hordes of ravenous demons after your ass will make you want to
> explore more powerful weaponery choices. Surely the BFG 9000 isn't the
> best the UAC can come up with!

:-). I understand your arguments. But I'm not fully convinced.

> For realism i said yes. Now, it may seem insane but read me:
> - If the shotgun pellets acted realistically they would be unable to
> do much damage at long range, not because so few pellets hit but
> because the pellets would become less powerful the longer the
> distance they traveled.

This WILL be fixed - it's a bug.

> Possibly the same for a Imp's and Caco's fire
> ball/energy ball; it'd burn itself out of existance/dissapate it's
> energy if it traveled far and long enough.

Oh, I'm not sure about that.

> - If the chaingun acted realistically the bullets wouldn't all move in
> the same strait line, but would instead stray one or two tiles in a
> different direction, giving a more realistic spread. Same for the
> other multi-shot weapons, like the Plasma gun and the proposed SMG...

This is a little harder to code, but maybe...

> Such a thing could also be useful, killing nearby enemies but also
> dangerous at the same time by hitting a nearby barrel.

Khe he he.

> - Melee weapons would be deadlier; chainsaws can do a *lot* of damage
> to meaty subjects, and someone trained in knife combat can take
> someone down very easilly.

Try killing with Brute3+SoB3+Chainsaw+Berserk -- there isn't much more
things in DoomRL that can do sucha an amount of damage ;-)

> - Ammo and powerful weapons would be very difficult to come by... they
> would only be held on dead bodies and armories.

Mhmmm.

> As well, those new weapons may be used by enemies, and perhaps even
> bosses. Imagine the cyber demon cycling through a SMG, Rocket
> Launcher, and Rail gun... THAT would be a challenge worthy of a
> lightning gun or BFG 10k! And while we're on weapons, what about the
> soul cube?

Soul cube? You mean the boss from DII?

regards,
Kornel Kisielewicz
February 2, 2005 5:21:08 PM

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> Marcus wrote:
>> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>>> 8. New Dodge system
>>
>> Depends entirely on implementation, I've only seen it mentioned in
>> bits and pieces - you should have included the details here ;)
>
> The one I wrote in "Design Issues - Results"

If you mean the one where your movement has a chance of causing enemies to
target your previous square, absolutely. That would allow movement to become
a real part of the gameplay. Combine this with the move-and-reload shotgun
:)

>>> 9. "Bullet time" dodge system
>>
>> Same deal
>
> The one proposed that bullets will hang in mid air.

Against

>>> 10. Proposed difficulty level system
>>
>> Follow Doom's difficulty levels
>
> That is a "Against" right?

Yes, against

>>> 11. Standard Doomish difficulty level system
>>
>> Yes

And for this instead
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 5:35:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 14:08:53 +0100, "Kornel Kisielewicz"
<kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> tried to confuse everyone with this message:

>Timofei Shatrov wrote:
>>> Vote: For/Against/NoOpinion.
>>>
>>> 1. Remove Assault Shotgun.
>>
>> Never encountered one... As such, it must be rare, so it's probably
>> ok.
>
>It's basically a shotgun with a four bullet magazine.

So new shotgun makes it redundant.

>>> 2. Combat Knife instead of the Axe
>>
>> Either way no one uses them.
>
>People do ;-). That's a For Against or NoOpinion?

Against. As Crawl readme states, "axes are fun".

>>> 3. The new Shotgun implementation
>>
>> I think the old shotgun was already much better than pistol, so no
>> need to overpower it even more.
>
>The shotgun will be rebalanced.
>That's a Against or NoOpinion?

NoOpinion.

>>> 6. New Weapon : Submachine gun
>>> 7. New Weapon : BFG10k (hard to find)
>> Maybe, although I prefer more ego-weapons introduced. Double shotgun
>> of dodging! Cool, eh?
>
>That's a For or NoOpinion?

NoOpinion.

>>> 8. New Dodge system
>>> 9. "Bullet time" dodge system
>> What are these again?
>
>New Dodge system is the one proposed in "Design Issues - Results". Bullet
>time is the system, where bullets fly so they can hang in mid air when you
>have your turn. (like BulletTime in Matrix ;D)

NoOpinion.

>>> 10. Proposed difficulty level system
>>> 11. Standard Doomish difficulty level system
>> Standard one.
>
>That means Against and For, right?

Yep.

--
|a\o/r|,-------------.,---------- Timofei Shatrov aka Grue ------------.
| m"a ||FC AMKAR PERM|| mail: grue at mail.ru http://grue3.tripod.com |
| k || PWNZ J00 || KoL:Grue3 NationStates:Holypunkeye |
`-----'`-------------'`-------------------------------------------[4*72]
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 5:49:53 PM

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:

> Ok, here goes.

NOOO!

Oh, wait.

> DISCLAIMER: This vote by no means forces me to do anything. I retain the
> right to do it my way disregarding the results. I just want to get a
> general overview of what people statisticaly would like and what not ;-)
>
> Vote: For/Against/NoOpinion.
>
> 1. Remove Assault Shotgun.

For

> 2. Combat Knife instead of the Axe

For

> 3. The new Shotgun implementation

For

> 4. New Weapon : Railgun

Against

> 5. New Weapon : Lightning Gun

Against

> 6. New Weapon : Submachine gun

Against

> 7. New Weapon : BFG10k (hard to find)

Thou shalt not cheapen BFG 9000. Against.

> 8. New Dodge system

Cautious nod

> 9. "Bullet time" dodge system

Against

> 10. Proposed difficulty level system

Against

> 11. Standard Doomish difficulty level system

If difficulty levels are needed, it's the way to go

> 12. Single-fire mode for the chaingun

Against

> 13. More realism

Against

> 14. Keep limited inventory

For, much as it grates on my packrattish nature (Just a couple of slots
more? Pretty please?)

--
Juho Julkunen
Anonymous

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

"Kornel Kisielewicz" <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> wrote:
>Ok, here goes.
>
>DISCLAIMER: This vote by no means forces me to do anything. I retain the
>right to do it my way disregarding the results. I just want to get a general
>overview of what people statisticaly would like and what not ;-)
>
>Vote: For/Against/NoOpinion.
>
>1. Remove Assault Shotgun.
>
>2. Combat Knife instead of the Axe

No. The axe is more fun to roleplay especially when you get a beserker
pack.

>3. The new Shotgun implementation
>
>4. New Weapon : Railgun
>
>5. New Weapon : Lightning Gun

Neither of these are Doomish.

>6. New Weapon : Submachine gun

What about an autopistol?

>7. New Weapon : BFG10k (hard to find)
>
>8. New Dodge system
>
>9. "Bullet time" dodge system
>
>10. Proposed difficulty level system

I haven't read it. I think at the wimpiest difficulty you should
occasionally have to fight biting bunny rabbits to remind you what a
giant sissy you are.

>11. Standard Doomish difficulty level system
>
>12. Single-fire mode for the chaingun

No.

>13. More realism
>
>14. Keep limited inventory

Maybe let you carry one of each type of weapon and limited ammo for
each.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 6:11:39 PM

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> Ok, here goes.
>
> DISCLAIMER: This vote by no means forces me to do anything. I retain the
> right to do it my way disregarding the results. I just want to get a general
> overview of what people statisticaly would like and what not ;-)

:-)

> Vote: For/Against/NoOpinion.
>
> 1. Remove Assault Shotgun.
>
> 2. Combat Knife instead of the Axe
>
> 3. The new Shotgun implementation

3X for

> 4. New Weapon : Railgun
>
> 5. New Weapon : Lightning Gun
>
> 6. New Weapon : Submachine gun
>
> 7. New Weapon : BFG10k (hard to find)

4X against

> 8. New Dodge system

for (it looks like it could work)

> 9. "Bullet time" dodge system

against

> 10. Proposed difficulty level system

against

> 11. Standard Doomish difficulty level system

NoOp

> 12. Single-fire mode for the chaingun

against; at most have a 'burst value' setting between 3 and 12 or a
'sweep' mode that works like a shotgun and spreads your shots over a 30°
angle.

> 13. More realism

what does that mean?

> 14. Keep limited inventory

for

Lars
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 7:27:36 PM

qvoting Kornel Kisielewicz <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl>:
>Ok, here goes.
>Vote: For/Against/NoOpinion.
>1. Remove Assavlt Shotgvn.

Yes.

>2. Combat Knife instead of the Axe

Yes.

>3. The new Shotgvn implementation

Yes.

>4. New Weapon : Railgvn

No. (And, if yes, call it "sniper rifle").

>5. New Weapon : Lightning Gvn

I'm not svre what wovld make it vniqve.

>6. New Weapon : Svbmachine gvn

I think there's room for it between pistol and chaingvn, with the chaingvn
fovnd perhaps slightly later. Yes.

>7. New Weapon : BFG10k (hard to find)

I'm not svre we need a svperweapon better than the BFG9K. What we really
need is something - like avgmented plasma rifles - that do for the
occasional barons' family revnion. No.

>8. New Dodge system

Yes.

>9. "Bvllet time" dodge system

No, it's vnworkable.

>10. Proposed difficvlty level system

No.

>11. Standard Doomish difficvlty level system

Yes. Two levels easier than the cvrrent one and two harder wovld be abovt
right, and that gives yov five from "I'm too yovng to die" to "Nightmare".
It shovld not be expected that people win at Nightmare, leaving one harder
level as a seriovs challenge for good players.

>12. Single-fire mode for the chaingvn

No.

>13. More realism

Absolvtely not.

>14. Keep limited inventory

Yes, bvt maybe have a bit more space.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.vk> Distortion Field!
Today is Oneiros, Febrvary.

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

On 1 Feb 2005 20:45:11 -0800, "Antoine" <mail@guildgame.com> wrote:

[...]
>> 4. New Weapon : Railgun
>
>Against (not a Doom weapon! what next - Shuriken Cannons????)
>
>> 6. New Weapon : Submachine gun
>
>See above

Actually, the SMG is present in Doom 3, under the name "Machine Gun".
Including this weapon is a matter of taste on whether or not the maintainer
wants to use Doom Classic weaponry, Doom 3 weaponry, or a mixture of both.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 9:01:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

FYI, the soul cube was a weapon in Doom 3 that would insta-kill any one
enemy and give it's total health back to you, which would usually heal
you completely to 100 percent health. However, the problem with the
soul cube is that you had to kill *5* other demons by conventional
means before you could fire the thing off at a enemy.

With it in your possession, you could kill 5 demons and take out a hell
knight in one shot, and recover all your health to the usual 100.
However, after doing so you'd have to kill another 5 demons before you
could do anything else. And they *had* to be demons. Zombie kills
didn't count! (though zombies were targetable by the cube)
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 9:41:00 PM

David Damerell wrote:
> qvoting Kornel Kisielewicz <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl>:
>> 5. New Weapon : Lightning Gvn
>
> I'm not svre what wovld make it vniqve.

1) Firing at a grovp of monsters bathing in water :-D. (water finally wovld
have some effect)
2) Ray instead of shot (will go throvgh the monsters and hit the ones behind
them -- nice visval too)
3) Maybe some kind of chain-lighting mechanism -- like monsters that are
near the ones hit will also get hit with lower damage.
4) Armovr doesnt protect against electricity.

>> 7. New Weapon : BFG10k (hard to find)
>
> I'm not svre we need a svperweapon better than the BFG9K. What we
> really need is something - like avgmented plasma rifles - that do for
> the occasional barons' family revnion. No.

I thovght of it as rather an easter egg, that yov can find in let's say 1 in
8 games.

>> 9. "Bvllet time" dodge system
>
> No, it's vnworkable.

Yeah I know ;-).

>> 11. Standard Doomish difficvlty level system
>
> Yes. Two levels easier than the cvrrent one and two harder wovld be
> abovt right, and that gives yov five from "I'm too yovng to die" to
> "Nightmare". It shovld not be expected that people win at Nightmare,
> leaving one harder level as a seriovs challenge for good players.

I'd rather say one-level easier. And three harder.

>> 13. More realism
>
> Absolvtely not.

Obviovsly a man of taste and discretion. :-)

>> 14. Keep limited inventory
>
> Yes, bvt maybe have a bit more space.

Hmm like? Keeping it one-screen size is within the KISS principle.

regards,
Kornel Kisielewicz
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 9:48:52 PM

Teleolurian wrote:
> New weapons are always good.
> The Limited Inventory makes this game more fun IMHO.

I assume all other questions "NoOpinion"? :-)

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 14:05:05 +0100, "Kornel Kisielewicz"
<kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> wrote:

>R. Dan Henry wrote:
>>> 14. Keep limited inventory
>>
>> Depends on what you replaced it with.
>
>Unlimited inventory ;-)

You'd need to be a bit more careful about what can be found, but I
think that could work. However, I'd rather see ammo taken out of
inventory (but with each type limited, not unlimited), along with a
single example of each weapon (give a "weapons quiver" with 7 slots
for the various classes of weapon and have the numerical quick-switch
keys use the quiver. So you can decide whether you want, e.g., the
shotgun or the double shotgun to be your convenient switch. Then you
could have a smaller inventory to make decisions regarding armors,
boots, helmets if you add them, phase devices, etc. This encourages
keeping and therefore learning to use effectively all types of weapons
and leaves the really interesting choices (really stock up on healing,
or make room for backup armors?) intact.

R. Dan Henry
danhenry@inreach.com
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 4:00:54 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Great game. Here's my thoughts:

>1. Remove Assault Shotgun.

Against. The ol' AS is useful.

>2. Combat Knife instead of the Axe

No opinion; I'm not into melee.

>3. The new Shotgun implementation

Against. Sounds too fiddly, having to reload twice.

>4. New Weapon : Railgun

For. Perhaps with an enhanced field of vision so you could snipe?

>5. New Weapon : Lightning Gun

For.

>6. New Weapon : Submachine gun

For.

>7. New Weapon : BFG10k (hard to find)

For! Eat this, Cyberdemon!

>8. New Dodge system

No opinion.

>9. "Bullet time" dodge system

Against. Matrix this ain't.

>10. Proposed difficulty level system

For! It sounds great.

>11. Standard Doomish difficulty level system

No opinion. Might not work in a roguelike.

>12. Single-fire mode for the chaingun

Against! A chaingun that only fires one bullet is called a pistol.

>13. More realism

Against! in real life, demons don't pop out of portals to scare
hard-woring marines.

>14. Keep limited inventory
Against. Having to leave good stuff behind is frustrating.
February 3, 2005 6:42:48 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Kornel Kisielewicz .-- .-. --- - . ---...

> 4) Armour doesnt protect against electricity.

Except such advanced armoury like latex boots, that will sucessfully
isolate from ground.

--
Loonie
---------------------------------------
Respondit Pilatus quod scripsi scripsi.
http://www.crawl.webpark.pl
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 6:53:56 PM

R. Dan Henry wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 14:05:05 +0100, "Kornel Kisielewicz"
> <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> wrote:

>>> Depends on what you replaced it with.
>>
>> Unlimited inventory ;-)
>
> You'd need to be a bit more careful about what can be found, but I
> think that could work. However, I'd rather see ammo taken out of
> inventory (but with each type limited, not unlimited), along with a
> single example of each weapon (give a "weapons quiver" with 7 slots
> for the various classes of weapon and have the numerical quick-switch
> keys use the quiver.

What I like about the current system is that you manage which ammo you like
to carry -- eg. you can carry more shells or more rockets. Fixed limits
wouldn't be that much fun IMHO.
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz
DoomRL ( http://chaos.magma-net.pl/doom/ )
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 8:26:33 PM

quoting Kornel Kisielewicz <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl>:
>David Damerell wrote:
>>>14. Keep limited inventory
>>Yes, but maybe have a bit more space.
>Hmm like? Keeping it one-screen size is within the KISS principle.

More ammo in slots; allow one-shot devices such as health or phase devices
to stack 2 or 3 in a slot.

Unloading has effectively increased the size of the inventory thanks to
the lack of a need to carry multiple loaded chainguns or plasma.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is Mania, February.

On 03 Feb 2005 17:26:33 +0000 (GMT), David Damerell wrote:

>More ammo in slots; allow one-shot devices such as health or phase devices
>to stack 2 or 3 in a slot.

Yikes. There Is an abundance of medpacks at the moment..
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 9:07:06 PM

"Kornel Kisielewicz" <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> wrote in message
> Ok, here goes.
>
> DISCLAIMER: This vote by no means forces me to do anything. I retain the
> right to do it my way disregarding the results. I just want to get a
> general overview of what people statisticaly would like and what not ;-)
>
> Vote: For/Against/NoOpinion.
>
> 1. Remove Assault Shotgun.

For.

> 2. Combat Knife instead of the Axe

Against, but only because I prefer fists.

> 3. The new Shotgun implementation

Against.

> 4. New Weapon : Railgun

Against.

> 5. New Weapon : Lightning Gun

Against.

> 6. New Weapon : Submachine gun

For, but only if you change the chaingun to something like that in Doom3

> 7. New Weapon : BFG10k (hard to find)

Against, better to make the regular BFG harder to find and closer to the
Doom3 BFG, or even better, the original Doom BFG (as seen in the Doom
Bible).

> 8. New Dodge system

Against.

> 9. "Bullet time" dodge system

For.

> 10. Proposed difficulty level system

If that's what you had in the post from your 4-in-the-morning idea, then
Against.

> 11. Standard Doomish difficulty level system

For.

> 12. Single-fire mode for the chaingun

Against.

> 13. More realism

Against. FOR more Doom heritage!

> 14. Keep limited inventory

For.

--
Glen
L:p yt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Hi,

I love DoomRL so much I just had to play it whereever I went :)

I installed the PocketDOS demo (yes, its payware - there is an
unofficial version of DosBox for PPC but DoomRL seems to crash with it
once it reaches the "enter your name stage"), then copied over DoomRL
and CWSDPMI (Dos Protected Mode Interface, apparently, which it
complained about not having when run without) from
http://www.gnu-pascal.de/djgpp/csdpmi5b.zip. I also needed the Bochs CPU
emulator plugin from the PocketDOS site to support the 80386 features
DoomRL wanted (http://www.pocketdos.com/Misc/PDOS_BOCHS_CPU.zip).

This having been done, I had a lovely portable version of everyones
favourite lunchtime roguelike! Screenshot here:
http://www.omega-prime.co.uk/images/doomrl-ppc.png

You would not believe how slowly that rather cool blood effect between
menus crawls down the screen though.. great game Kornel, I await 1.0
with much eagerness :)

Max
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 11:44:03 PM

Dnia Thu, 03 Feb 2005 20:34:58 +0000, Max Bolingbroke napisal(a):
> You would not believe how slowly that rather cool blood effect between
> menus crawls down the screen though.. great game Kornel, I await 1.0
> with much eagerness :)

It's slow in dosbox too.
Kornel, how do you do the delay between animation frames?

With curses half-blocking mode?

--
Radomir @**@_ Bee! .**._ .**._ .**._ .**._ zZ
`The Sheep' ('') 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (--) 3

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> Ok, here goes.
>
> DISCLAIMER: This vote by no means forces me to do anything. I retain the
> right to do it my way disregarding the results. I just want to get a general
> overview of what people statisticaly would like and what not ;-)
>
> Vote: For/Against/NoOpinion.
>
> 1. Remove Assault Shotgun.
Against
> 2. Combat Knife instead of the Axe
For
> 3. The new Shotgun implementation
For
> 4. New Weapon : Railgun
For
> 5. New Weapon : Lightning Gun
For
> 6. New Weapon : Submachine gun
For
> 7. New Weapon : BFG10k (hard to find)
For
> 8. New Dodge system
For
> 9. "Bullet time" dodge system
For
> 10. Proposed difficulty level system
You mean your stupid one??? ;)  no way
> 11. Standard Doomish difficulty level system
For
> 12. Single-fire mode for the chaingun
Against
> 13. More realism
Against
> 14. Keep limited inventory
For

--
ABCGi (geek) http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk S14 D15 C13 I17 W9 c12
GCS/IT$/L/B$ d+(-) s: a? C++ ULUSU-- P+ L+>++ E- W++$ N+ o+ K--

Max Bolingbroke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I love DoomRL so much I just had to play it whereever I went :)

You must be joking, right? :-D

> I installed the PocketDOS demo (yes, its payware - there is an
> unofficial version of DosBox for PPC but DoomRL seems to crash with it
> once it reaches the "enter your name stage"), then copied over DoomRL
> and CWSDPMI (Dos Protected Mode Interface, apparently, which it
> complained about not having when run without) from
> http://www.gnu-pascal.de/djgpp/csdpmi5b.zip.

Yeah, it should be in the pack :-/

> I also needed the Bochs
> CPU emulator plugin from the PocketDOS site to support the 80386
> features DoomRL wanted
> (http://www.pocketdos.com/Misc/PDOS_BOCHS_CPU.zip). This having been done,
> I had a lovely portable version of everyones
> favourite lunchtime roguelike! Screenshot here:
> http://www.omega-prime.co.uk/images/doomrl-ppc.png

My god!

> You would not believe how slowly that rather cool blood effect between
> menus crawls down the screen though.. great game Kornel, I await 1.0
> with much eagerness :)

This is the most wild DoomRL post/mail I ever read :-D

A note of warning -- due to the prepared linux release I had to switch to
another video output driver -- I hope it doesn't ruin PPC compatibility...
On the other hand, the FPC team is talking something about a PPC FPC
compiler :-D. And another note -- you probably would benefit very much from
an option to turn off animations (bloodslides), and reducing animation
delay, right?
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz
DoomRL ( http://chaos.magma-net.pl/doom/ )
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 2:29:55 AM

David Damerell wrote:
> quoting Kornel Kisielewicz <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl>:
>>> Yes, but maybe have a bit more space.
>> Hmm like? Keeping it one-screen size is within the KISS principle.
>
> More ammo in slots; allow one-shot devices such as health or phase
> devices to stack 2 or 3 in a slot.

I like this idea! A slot could hold 2*phase device or 3*small medikit or 2*
large one. How's that? Armour would still take a full slot, as would
thermonuclear device and weapons. BTW, as a sidenote -- medpacks,
phasedevices and thermonuclear bombs are internally called potions :-D. A
leftover from the underlying DownFall engine :-).

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz
DoomRL ( http://chaos.magma-net.pl/doom/ )
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 10:21:16 AM

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>>You would not believe how slowly that rather cool blood effect between
>>menus crawls down the screen though.. great game Kornel, I await 1.0
>>with much eagerness :)
>

> This is the most wild DoomRL post/mail I ever read :-D
>
> A note of warning -- due to the prepared linux release I had to switch to
> another video output driver -- I hope it doesn't ruin PPC compatibility...
> On the other hand, the FPC team is talking something about a PPC FPC
> compiler :-D. And another note -- you probably would benefit very much from
> an option to turn off animations (bloodslides), and reducing animation
> delay, right?

This is very true :)  As it stands it takes about a second for a move to
be processed once you press the key, which is just about bearable, but
waiting for enemy bullets to crawl towards you is a little irritating :D
Of course, on the other hand it lets you better appreciate the advanced
animation effects in DoomRL ;)

Max Bolingbroke
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 5:12:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

quoting Kornel Kisielewicz <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl>:
>David Damerell wrote:
>>More ammo in slots; allow one-shot devices such as health or phase
>>devices to stack 2 or 3 in a slot.
>I like this idea! A slot could hold 2*phase device or 3*small medikit or 2*
>large one. How's that?

Particularly, we could do with a few more phase devices. Notwithstanding
the dodging proposal, they're one of the few tactical options for
retreating.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is Aponoia, February.