Sign in with
Your question

What does a f***ed up duron look like???

Last response: in CPUs
March 9, 2001 4:22:52 PM

I got the components for my new pc today and were all merry while I started to put it together. It´s my first one, but I´ve read anything I could find on the components I picked out:

Abit KT7A, duron 750, 128 MB Mosel Vitelic PC133, Seagate 40 GB & leadtek GeForce2 MX.

Very nice, I´m on a veery tight budget. Since I´m not planning to o/c it I got a Thermaltake Chrome Orb Duo 462-2 HSF, (special version for the KT7 since some stuff - don´t know in english but in swedish it´s "kondensator" - on the KT7 is in the way for the original version) which I removed some yellow stuff from the bottom of.

Well i put the duron in it´s socket, put on a papersheet-thick layer of Arctic Silver and tried to put on the HSF, I was really careful, but suddenly i heard a cracking noise and when I looked at the processor core something gleaming had emerged from one of the corners. First i thought it must be arctic silver that had piled up but it looks like broken glass, silver and black.

Now my guess is that this is NOT good.

Is there some tiny little posibility that it´s not actually broken? And if I can get the damn heatsink on, the processor is broken and I turn the power on, can something besides the processor be destroyed?

Any comments greatly appreciated

Thanks/ f

More about : duron

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 9, 2001 5:15:20 PM

its probably a done deal....the noise 'crack' is a noise ive heard before.....you could attemp to use a soft tooth brush to wipe the core and see if the silver is actualy the film or not...if it dont move youve exposed the core and its a gonner.....i would NOT put it in for a trial run either...i just dont know what could happen....

sorry
March 9, 2001 6:13:12 PM

didn't you know that the durons are made of graham crackers?

seriously, go out and get another one and lose the hsf.

"Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs flat, it truly is a fast chip!"
Related resources
March 9, 2001 6:42:35 PM

Actually I´m planning to do that... I´ll have to quit smoking for another two weeks to be able to afford it but I don´t want this to happen again.

So reach out to your infinite wastelands of advice and wisdom about these things and let me know ok?

I´ll be forever thankful for any tips to prevent me from having to go thru this again!

A new HSF? which one? The secret teqnique of installing it without violence?

BTW I just read that the soundblaster 128 vibra doesn´t like Abit KT7A.

(Guess what lies in a antistatic bag right next to me with a little scornfull smile on its face)

Aahhh what a wonderful day.
March 9, 2001 7:19:53 PM

There is an art to putting HSF's on AMD chips. You must have the HSF almost completely level on the processor core and pads before attempting to latch the HSF clip. If you apply too much pressure on the core with the HSF at an angle you risk cracking the core. The GlobalWin HSF's are some of the toughest to install and, following the strategy I just outlined, I've yet to crack one after many installs.

Here's how to do it:<A HREF="http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/athlon/pdf/23986.pdf" target="_new">http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/athlon/pdf/23986.pdf&lt;/A>
March 9, 2001 7:34:11 PM

AMD has a good document for installing a heatsink. Find it <A HREF="http://www1.amd.com/athlon/config" target="_new">here</A>

Basically, position the heatsink flush against the core and line up the clamp. Press down on the heatsink to hold it flat while you fasten both end of the clamp. <b>Do not let the heatsink tilt.</b> That's it.

Sometimes it is easier to install if you remove the fan first. It is definitely easier to install if the motherboard is out of the case. (Always be sure to use a non-static surface and ground yourself).

Update:
I should have read ahead. Nikko has provided you with everything you need.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 03/09/01 04:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 9, 2001 8:34:55 PM

Thanks all!

The .pdf from AMD kind of pissed me off though, like sitting on a cloud in heaven watching some firemen putting out the fire that killed you cause you fell asleep trying out your new home-built flamethrower:) 

And it´s the Chrome Orb, not the golden. I think that the Chrome Orb grinded the core enough as it is though:) 

I´ll get a new Duron tomorrow and give it another go. Still my not-reading-the-manual-incident cost me what could have been like 256 MB PC133.

"Tomorrow is another day, and the money-junkie fades away"
March 9, 2001 8:37:13 PM

Yo buddy, you cracked the core. Damn orbs!!!!!!! You chose the wrong heatsink. people are always having problems with orbs cracking duron/thunderbird cores. Oh well. At least it was only $50.

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone would ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s
March 9, 2001 8:59:58 PM

I know! that's why I am anti-orb!!!!

-----------------

Bill Gates, 1980s
March 9, 2001 9:10:37 PM

Looks like you got a new key chain.
mbaha

"Work is the curse of the drinking class"
March 9, 2001 9:15:46 PM

actually mine is a necklace. pretty sweet one too! when ever i go into computer store they're like "whats that?" and I'm like it's a 1GHz TBird and they like stare at it LOL!

-----------------

Bill Gates, 1980s
March 9, 2001 9:45:00 PM

There have been rumours a flying that the heatsinks when fabricated are not smoothed as well as they should be, slot 1 was a tough b*itch so they got lasy . if you know someone that could grind it down fer ya it might save a headache or too plus you could smoke more. Just and idea cant hurt to try :) 

SPUD

I saw the future it gave me a big intel hug :) 
March 10, 2001 1:38:35 AM

dude, you should wear it on your forehead, it will cover-up the large "L".

"Amd cpu...Gone in 2 secs flat, it truly is a fast chip!"
March 10, 2001 2:16:37 AM

Man, I was totally wrong about you. You have to be older than 13, you obvoiusly picked up some real rad jokes back in the 80's.

-----------------

Bill Gates, 1980s
March 10, 2001 5:55:51 AM

Holy crap ladies calm down .

SPUD

I saw the future it gave me a big intel hug :) 
March 10, 2001 6:50:04 AM

Yer wacked up on shrooms i think:) 

SPUD

I saw the future it gave ma a big intel hug :) 
March 10, 2001 3:27:59 PM

your the one with a cucumber up your ass, i think.

-----------------

Bill Gates, 1980s
March 10, 2001 6:29:18 PM

Cucumber that you licked after i was done with it :0

SPUD

I saw the future it gave me a big intel hug:) 
March 10, 2001 7:32:28 PM

HAHAHAH HAHAHAHAH AHAH ATHAT WAS A GOOD ONE HAHAHAHAH! LOL! LOLL OL OL OL OLLLLLLOLOL OL OL O L O LO OL OL O L L

-----------------

Bill Gates, 1980s
March 10, 2001 10:35:59 PM

You already told us that stupid joke, boron

-----------------

Bill Gates, 1980s
March 10, 2001 11:28:25 PM

well I guess...

ill shoot. why?

-----------------
"648kb is all the space anyone will ever need!"

Bill Gates, 1980s
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2001 12:15:16 AM

Could anyone tell me what IS a good cooler for a TB 850 that's gonna be overclocked? I was going to buy a Chrome orb or Super orb but now I heared they are [-peep-]....
March 11, 2001 3:48:04 AM

no i havnt

SPUD

I saw the future it gave me a big intel hug:) 
March 11, 2001 12:15:03 PM

Hey!!!

It´s not broken! I had a nightmarish experience when my retailer, male 65-year-old tested it. He found out it wasn´t broken and then he offered to put on the heatsink. I figured if he broke anything he´d replace it so I said OK.

I got really scared when he asked me if he was supposed to smear out the arctic silver with his fingers though.

I did it myself and then he put on the Orb using more violence than I thought the duron or the socket could take but its working now at 30 C. Let´s say he didn´t follow AMD´s pdf...
March 11, 2001 4:33:51 PM

Yep, the FOP38 if you don't mind loudness, also consider the Alpha PEP66T (i was using it before i went to watercooling, it rocks).

-----------------

Bill Gates, 1980s
March 12, 2001 2:17:11 PM

:mad:  those stupid morons at Canada Computers that I ordered it from said it would be here on Friday. I am hoping to have the two new chips here in less than 2 hours.

-----------------

Bill Gates, 1980s
March 13, 2001 6:52:34 PM

Ok I have it running, I will send results soon

-----------------

Bill Gates, 1980s
!