Sign in with
Your question

Keyboard for gaming: K60, K90, Aivia Osmium

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
August 22, 2012 6:46:49 AM

Hey all!

I need a new gaming keyboard, my current one is a generic dell one, pretty terrible. By now I have got my choices down to 3, of course I'm open to others but thus far these seem to fit my needs, or come close.

Current selection:
Corsair K60
Corsair K90
Gigabyte Aivia Osmium

Right now I'm leaning towards the K60, but I don't like the fact that there is now LED backlight (if there is a way to add it without voiding the warranty and keeping the aesthetics the same, I'll be listening ;)  ) I like the Gigabyte because it has everything, but it's a bit pricey and, this may sound stupid, but like most gamers I like to keep things matching, so the brand is a small issue, but other than that I would get it. The K90, I like the keyboard, but I doubt I'd use the extra buttons apart from 4-5 of them, if that, but the LED backlight draws me to it from the K60.

So really, what one seems the best, Aivia Osmium, K60 or K90, if there is a way to add LED to the K60 without voiding the warranty, I will most likely get that, and then add the backlight.

Thanks!
August 22, 2012 7:43:18 AM

Do you have a price range you were looking at? I personally am holding out for the Ducky Shine 2 that's scheduled to release in September (allegedly). If it takes too long though I may just invest in the "vanilla" version but that's just me. They come in most combinations of LED colors and key switches.

I also think it's important to point out that the type of key switch matters no matter which brand or model you are planning to go with. Nowadays mechanical keyboards are becoming increasingly popular and most people suggest the Cherry MX version of keys, and I would highly suggest doing some research into these before actually choosing yours.

Also, what type of games are you mostly planning to use this keyboard for?
August 22, 2012 8:38:33 AM

I think the best keyswitches for me -from reading reviews and watching videos, would most likely be the MX Reds, possibly blacks as well, although I would prefer red.

The games I play vary from CSS and TF2 to Skyrim and DayZ, but I don't use custom macros, I could always bind an external number pad but never saw the need to, I don't play Starcraft or WoW, so I never saw the need.
!