[DoomRL] Shotgun proposition

marcus

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001

Since this is getting bounced around a lot, I figured I'd throw this one out
for consideration (it's been discussed in various forms)

First, ditch the Assault Shotgun - it invalidates the Shotgun currently

Next change the behavior of the Shotgun. It has a [x] sized clip (4 to 8),
you can either manually reload with r, pumping in one shell per 'turn'
(dependant on traits etc), OR, if you MOVE one step, it automatically pumps
in one shell. This gives the Shotgun a maneuverability advantage over the
Double Barrel (and other weapons really), which I think is really cool.
Especially if the proposed dodging system gets implemented, it would be the
ideal run and gun weapon (much like in Doom :D)

Marcus wrote:
> Since this is getting bounced around a lot, I figured I'd throw this
> one out for consideration (it's been discussed in various forms)
>
> First, ditch the Assault Shotgun - it invalidates the Shotgun
> currently
>
> Next change the behavior of the Shotgun. It has a [x] sized clip (4
> to 8), you can either manually reload with r, pumping in one shell
> per 'turn' (dependant on traits etc), OR, if you MOVE one step, it
> automatically pumps in one shell.

This effectively would give a weapon that doesn't need much reloading. Also
it would make the r key practicaly useless in case of shotgun... Unless the
reload itself would be for example half as long.

> This gives the Shotgun a
> maneuverability advantage over the Double Barrel (and other weapons
> really), which I think is really cool.

Maybe.

> Especially if the proposed
> dodging system gets implemented, it would be the ideal run and gun
> weapon (much like in Doom :D)

I dunno. Shotguns give me a headache now ;-)
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz

marcus

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2001

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> Marcus wrote:
>> Since this is getting bounced around a lot, I figured I'd throw this
>> one out for consideration (it's been discussed in various forms)
>>
>> First, ditch the Assault Shotgun - it invalidates the Shotgun
>> currently
>>
>> Next change the behavior of the Shotgun. It has a [x] sized clip (4
>> to 8), you can either manually reload with r, pumping in one shell
>> per 'turn' (dependant on traits etc), OR, if you MOVE one step, it
>> automatically pumps in one shell.
>
> This effectively would give a weapon that doesn't need much
> reloading. Also it would make the r key practicaly useless in case of
> shotgun... Unless the reload itself would be for example half as long.

Then make it every 2-3-4 steps, etc.