[POWDER] Two crashes in a row

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

I have just recently started playing POWDER, and today I had a fun time.
First I made far enough to realize what the gods are, got fighter far
enough (as a cleric) to see the choice of god really matters, and got an
interesting wizard. He started with Wand of Nothing(2) NamedSomething
and a Tome of Fire, and found Crystal Platemail and Purple Potion of
OrcSomething before even seeing a creature. In the first level, he found
a room full of creatures. I didn't feel confident enough to try it yet,
so I descended. I found Iron Boots F-Something. Wizard God tought him
Force Bolt and Regeneration, and I hadn't yet learned any spells from my
tome. He got polymorphed by a trap, which he had created when testing a
wand, when searching for food. He turned into Death Slug. He survived
even that, and got some food, but went up to the first level. There he
got turned back to human, zapped another wand, found out he now had a
Troll that was not at all friendly, and when dancing around trying to
Force Bolt it diagonally he suddenly died to a crash. I didn't, and
never will!, have any idea about what my artifacts did. :(

I was rather messed up, so I started another char. He had two cursed
armors (robe and -2 chain), poor weapon (dagger, I think), Tome of
Utility (I didn't realize it had attack spell in Force Bolt) and
something boring. I decided to make a honorous suicide. He didn't find
creatures. I decided to just dive down. He saw one from distance, and
then found a Brown Slug in a room with some boulders. He pushed boulders
so that it couldn't come to him, and discovered Empty Bottle
YetAgainNamed! He wielded it (first and only item he wielded in whole
game). He became invisible (=invinsible!).

The room was something like this:

######
#.#..###
....@O...
##O#...#
########

I could enter and leave from both ends, and kill creatures with Force
Bolt (now I actually Read the tome I started with!), tested this on the
slug and made a rat follow me to the right end. I left, closed door and
went to casting position (@ in picture). I shooted Force Bolt, and the
game crashed! :(

I don't know what it is, but it might have something to do with Force
Bolt. I think it was cast just before both crashes.

Another bugs and buglike things:

I polymorphed myself into Iron (or Steel) Golem with my
fighter-wants-to-be-cleric type. Instead of Heal, he had Force Bolt. He
also had about 10 spell levels, so I learned Regeneration, Cure Poison
and Major Heal, as well as Heal again. Then I ran out of my starting
spellbook. It was great as long as lasted, and then I discovered
Polymorph has time limit. Goodbye armor 30+, hp 200 and mp 100. :( I
could wear everything I had as a golem, btw, with (maybe) the exception
of shield. That might be a bug.

That warrior/cleric died to Giant Bat that just wouldn't die. From 25+
to -3, while the bat didn't die. I considered healing when I was down to
8 or so, but foolishly decided to try and kill (and fail) to hit bat to
death from its Almost Dead status.

I learned Light, and learned Darkness as well. I didn't find this
mentioned in the spells-section, and didn't see Darkness as its own
spell (IIRC).

Pressing a key sometimes causes the game to think it is being hold down.
This happened to me twixe (in a row) with 'S'witch place and once with
go up/down stairs (both are ; with my Finnish keyboard)

My afore-mentioned wizard had found Amulet of Strangulation or something
similar, and had 1 hp left. He had Potion of Water, and I decided to try
dipping the amulet into it. Beeing the neeb I am, I chose 'dip' from the
POTION, and then the amulet as the item to DIP IT INTO. Well, I got
informed that I cannot dip potion into amulet, and didn't die. I got
surprised, as I had expected the amulet to kill me, and saw that the
amulet was now on my inventory, not on my neck. I removed my Evil Boots
Of Jumping by dipping potion into them, too, and put those Iron Boots
F-Something on. :)

I like POWDER very much. If I had a GBA, how would I get this into it?

Random comments:
Jumping is a cool ability. Polymorphing has been quite cool, also. I
haven't yet found any non-strangulating amulets. I have found only few
scrolls, and only one of identify. I don't understand how Rogues are
supposed to deal with large number of monsters, as they start with only
few arrows and they don't seem to be very common. Water behaves
strangely: even as a Golem wielding Plate Mail I could go over one
screen, but going second screen killed my earlier try. He survived the
first turn on the second water tile, but as he tried to leave he got
drowned again and died. I prefer the non-nethackish, non-starting
tileset, but some monsters (esp. Kiwi) are rather hard to recognise.

Janne Joensuu,
Endoperez

P.S. 40Tude Dialog complains that this was posted to multiple groups,
but Followup-To field is lacking (it is empty). What should I do to it?
What is it?

Jeff Lait wrote:
> J.M. Joensuu wrote:
> > I have just recently started playing POWDER, and today I had a fun
> time.
>
> Excellent.

A thousand pardons for the removal of the [POWDER] tag. I had been
tricked by Google Groups preserving the [POWDER 062] tag into thinking
that it wasn't eating them. Apparently I was overly optimistic.
--
Jeff Lait
(POWDER: http;//www.zincland.com/powder)

Lauri Vallo wrote:
> [copying the other post here]
>
> On 4 Feb 2005 17:34:31 -0800, "Jeff Lait"wrote:
>
> >J.M. Joensuu wrote:
> >
> >> My afore-mentioned wizard had found Amulet of Strangulation or
> >something
> >> similar, and had 1 hp left. He had Potion of Water, and I decided
> >try
> >> dipping the amulet into it. Beeing the neeb I am, I chose 'dip'
from
> >the
> >> POTION, and then the amulet as the item to DIP IT INTO. Well, I
got
> >> informed that I cannot dip potion into amulet, and didn't die. I
got
> >> surprised, as I had expected the amulet to kill me, and saw that
the
> >> amulet was now on my inventory, not on my neck. I removed my Evil
> >Boots
> >> Of Jumping by dipping potion into them, too, and put those Iron
Boots
> >> F-Something on. :)
> >
> >Congratulations! You have found an exploit! Enjoy it while it
lasts
> >:>
>
> Here's more:
>
> You can stack weapons, so when you wield 2 of them and read a scroll
> of make artifact you can make 2 artifacts. Then you enchant them and
> seperate them by throwing.

*sigh* I have yet to find a scroll of make artifact in a real game!

I remember thinking about this when I wrote the code: "What if they
have a stack?" I believe I reasoned that perhaps they were enchanting
ammo, so it might make some crazy sense. It is not quite as
unbalancing as one might think, as the entire stack will become the
same artifact weapon. So other than protection against enchantment
drain from annoyed gods, it's not too insane. Artifacts aren't
guaranteed unique, after all. (Artifact ammo already shows up in
stacks)

Thus, while this is suspicious, I'm not entirely sure it should be
changed.

Stack enchant-weapon is entirely intended.

> You can also try out all items by quivering them first and then
firing
> them off.

Oops.

What's worse, is there is even an easier way. With the SDL version,
cursor over the worn item and hit 't' and you can throw it off.

> "looks like an windshield kill"
> an -> a

All that work to make an automatic system to properly choose the
article, and, of course, it is a sentence typed by hand that is wrong.
Thanks!

> Questions/opinions:
>
> Does something (acid slugs?) make you lose your "permanent"
> intrinsics?

No.

However, you don't get permament intrinsics from eating things. Or
zapping yourself with things. You likely had an intrinsic wear off
while fighting something, and thought it was related.

> I read an artifact scroll of invisibility, but lost the effect after
> while. *nod* ..might be too good as permanent.

I had an artifact plain robe of invisibility last game. It was very
cool :> Speed boots were pointed slippers too! Needless to say, I was
playing as a Wizard. And got killed by a ghost. Thought I could
Acidic Mist it, and then realized ghosts don't breathe.

Artifact scrolls and potions do not produce permament intrinsics, just
really long temporary ones. The same for artifact wands.

I felt the permament intrinsics of Nethack really nerfed the whole ring
scene. Thus intrinsics are usually either worn or temporary.

> Are artifact weapon bonuses supposed to be that high?

Weapons are supposed to gain an extra damage type. It is of a random
element and a random power. It will usually be the same range as a
long sword, but can become quite high in some cases.

> Speed boots make half of the enemies a breeze, and ruin the class
> specific sets. On the other hand you almost require them to face
> cockatrice and ghasts.

Jump boots are actually more unbalancing, if you ask me. Provided you
are willing to jump all the time. I'm too lazy to metagame jumping
properly, so don't use them to full advantage.

Ruining class specific sets is intentional :> Some games you will have
to choose between your class and speed boots. I usually end up with
water walking on by the end game out of convience anyway, and using up
wands of speed to stay fast. If you want an unfair random boot
assignment, it is when Hiking Boots are Squeaky! It's enough to make a
ranger want to snap their bow!

The early cockatrices tend to be in open levels, so I can usually put a
door between me and them if I don't have a way to deal with stoning
handy. Ghasts can be dealt with so long as you don't have someone else
attacking you, and you have some form of damage over time ability. If
you have sticky flames, there is no real need to be scared of Ghasts.
(Then again, I was just killed by a ghost's paralyzation attack, so
maybe I'm not the best one to talk to :>)

Of course, there is no reason you have to face them. Isn't that what
wands of teleport are for? :>

Hmm... Since 037 when speed became useful, my foot gear on ascensions
have been:

Speed: #####
Iron: #
Water: #####
Jump: #

The real loser seems to be fur lined boots. Water is rather important
on the deeper levels with the flooded caverns. You might not want to
get too used to relying on speed boots.
--
Jeff Lait

[copying the other post here]

On 4 Feb 2005 17:34:31 -0800, "Jeff Lait"wrote:

>J.M. Joensuu wrote:
>
>> My afore-mentioned wizard had found Amulet of Strangulation or
>something
>> similar, and had 1 hp left. He had Potion of Water, and I decided to
>try
>> dipping the amulet into it. Beeing the neeb I am, I chose 'dip' from
>the
>> POTION, and then the amulet as the item to DIP IT INTO. Well, I got
>> informed that I cannot dip potion into amulet, and didn't die. I got
>> surprised, as I had expected the amulet to kill me, and saw that the
>> amulet was now on my inventory, not on my neck. I removed my Evil
>Boots
>> Of Jumping by dipping potion into them, too, and put those Iron Boots
>> F-Something on. :)
>
>Congratulations! You have found an exploit! Enjoy it while it lasts
>:>

Here's more:

You can stack weapons, so when you wield 2 of them and read a scroll
of make artifact you can make 2 artifacts. Then you enchant them and
seperate them by throwing.

You can also try out all items by quivering them first and then firing
them off.

"looks like an windshield kill"
an -> a

Questions/opinions:

Does something (acid slugs?) make you lose your "permanent"
intrinsics?
I read an artifact scroll of invisibility, but lost the effect after a

J.M. Joensuu wrote:
> I have just recently started playing POWDER, and today I had a fun
time.
> First I made far enough to realize what the gods are, got fighter far
> enough (as a cleric) to see the choice of god really matters, and got
an
> interesting wizard. He started with Wand of Nothing(2) NamedSomething
> and a Tome of Fire, and found Crystal Platemail and Purple Potion of
> OrcSomething before even seeing a creature. In the first level, he
found
> a room full of creatures. I didn't feel confident enough to try it
yet,
> so I descended. I found Iron Boots F-Something. Wizard God tought him
> Force Bolt and Regeneration, and I hadn't yet learned any spells from
my
> tome. He got polymorphed by a trap, which he had created when testing
> wand, when searching for food. He turned into Death Slug. He survived
> even that, and got some food, but went up to the first level. There
he
> got turned back to human, zapped another wand, found out he now had a
> Troll that was not at all friendly, and when dancing around trying to
> Force Bolt it diagonally he suddenly died to a crash. I didn't, and
> never will!, have any idea about what my artifacts did. :(

Version 063 has been released which fixes this Force Bolt crash. It
also addresses the extra key presses on Swap, etc, and should also use
--
Jeff Lait