[POWDER] YAVP

POWDER 062 Victory post, score 6361

[shield]16[heart]145/20[wizard's hat]83/11

Klaskov 3000
Belweir 150
Quizar -500
Xom -300
others ~0

iron helm
amulet of reflection
warhammer Baroma +2 [shock resistance, walk on water, melee
2d7+3(fire), 2d4+3 (phys)]
holy tower shield +4
leather tunic Klaywerebrask -1[invisibility]
ring of light named light
ring of fire resistance
+1 speed boots named speed

Skills: dodge, search, evade traps, helmet, shield, body armour,
boots, clothes, leather, iron, exotic, small, medium, large, ranged,
edged, blunt, pointed

Spells: sticky flames, chilling touch, spark, flame strike,
regenerate, slow poison, heal, cure poison, major heal, resurrect,
blink, teleport, controlled teleport, raise undead

Intrinsics: fast, fire resistance, shock resistance, poison
resistance(?), position fixed, reflective, vulnerable to silver(?),
invisible, walk on water

This healer-fighter started out with a tome of healing and went on
berserking. Switched to necromancy to raise some trolls, which was
unneeded. Their bodies lost their form after some whacking. Then I
needed healing, so stuck with being a normal fighter while casting
enough to please Belweir. Belweir helped me get enough mana to heal a
lot, and try some of the attack spells. Attack spells weren't worth
the mana. Mana was better saved for emergency curing.
Resurrected followers didn't help much when running around targets,
and they weren't needed because of the low general threat.
Beeblop fell easily. His heart rose, body eaten.

The various fighter-monsters should get some special abilities.
How about: turtloids covering in their shell at low health, stone
golems flinging stones and losing health, earth elementals trapping
one of your surrounding tiles at random, kobold warriors(champions?)
get fast at low health, flesh golems get a counter attack.

The threat levels are now too high for all of the above.
Yellow dragons show as too weak. Para-trice-kin should not show as
incredibly easy. ...maybe not worth the bother.

Also, I remember the daemon description says it is a mediocre form.
Where are the major daemons!
5 answers Last reply
More about powder yavp
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Lauri Vallo wrote:
    > POWDER 062 Victory post, score 6361

    Congratulations!!! You are the first other person I know of to have
    won POWDER! When people tell me to add a surface level, I can now say:
    "Ask Lauri Vallo about the surface, where the sun shines on the trees
    and snow glints on the mountaintops. He has been there!"

    I'm happy to see that POWDER can be won by someone unspoiled by the
    source code. May I have permission to post your YAVP to the POWDER
    website?

    How many turns was this? (It should show up after t: on the high
    score)

    > [shield]16[heart]145/20[wizard's hat]83/11

    A heavy fighter there!

    I like the term "wizard's hat" to describe the icon for the magic
    rating. I shall from now on claim that is what I meant it to look
    like. :>

    > iron helm
    > amulet of reflection
    > warhammer Baroma +2 [shock resistance, walk on water, melee
    > 2d7+3(fire), 2d4+3 (phys)]

    Wow. That is almost the most powerful artifact weapon you could have.
    Walk on water and shock resistance are great intrinsics. 2d7+3 is near
    the max for the artifact brand.

    > holy tower shield +4
    > leather tunic Klaywerebrask -1[invisibility]

    Nice!

    > ring of light named light
    > ring of fire resistance

    Fire resistance is rather useful on the last level, no?

    > Spells: sticky flames, chilling touch, spark, flame strike,
    > regenerate, slow poison, heal, cure poison, major heal, resurrect,
    > blink, teleport, controlled teleport, raise undead

    Interesting set. I guess these were granted spells?

    > Intrinsics: fast, fire resistance, shock resistance, poison
    > resistance(?), position fixed, reflective, vulnerable to silver(?),
    > invisible, walk on water

    Poison Resist & Silver Vulnerability you likely picked up eating
    something. Baezl'bub would give you silver vulnerability, so that one
    is easy to understand.

    > This healer-fighter started out with a tome of healing and went on
    > berserking. Switched to necromancy to raise some trolls, which was
    > unneeded. Their bodies lost their form after some whacking. Then I
    > needed healing, so stuck with being a normal fighter while casting
    > enough to please Belweir. Belweir helped me get enough mana to heal a
    > lot, and try some of the attack spells. Attack spells weren't worth
    > the mana. Mana was better saved for emergency curing.

    I don't know if you forgot them at some point. The best attack spells
    are likely Lightning bolt and Fireball, which you don't have listed.
    (Well, Acid Splash is likely the best damage/mp, but I only cast it in
    desperation in the late game...) In any case, with a warhammer like
    that, I can't blame you for going melee heavy.

    > Resurrected followers didn't help much when running around targets,
    > and they weren't needed because of the low general threat.
    > Beeblop fell easily. His heart rose, body eaten.

    Woohoo!

    > The various fighter-monsters should get some special abilities.
    > How about: turtloids covering in their shell at low health, stone
    > golems flinging stones and losing health, earth elementals trapping
    > one of your surrounding tiles at random, kobold warriors(champions?)
    > get fast at low health, flesh golems get a counter attack.

    Hmm... Turtloids could get physical invulnerability & regen when so
    cowerring. I like the idea of a stone attack from stone golems. Earth
    elementals should dig out pits underneath you, preventing you from
    running easily.

    Kobold warriors do not need much, IMHO. Being intelligent monsters
    they can already cause enough grief other ways. (Besides, it is kobold
    assasins that get haste) Flesh golems, in my experience, show up early
    enough that I think they pose a threat as is.

    I personally find a tipping point around depth 15 or so. The danger
    seems to drop off after the Cretan Minotaur.

    > The threat levels are now too high for all of the above.

    Well, you are a warrior fighting them. My mages tend to be rather
    frightened of Earth Elementals, for example. They can do almost 50
    points of damage in a single round if they are lucky (and you are
    unlucky)

    > Yellow dragons show as too weak.

    They are higher than the other dragons (except the green). Further,
    with all the slugs around one can often get acid resistance, at which
    point they become much less of a threat. Spells like direct wind (only
    5 mp) also can make them much less deadly.

    I may have to seperate threat level for experience and for dungeon
    generation. I like where yellow dragons show up in the dragon, but I
    could justify giving more exp for killing them or giving new users a
    clearer warning of their threat.

    > Also, I remember the daemon description says it is a mediocre form.
    > Where are the major daemons!

    Some might think Baezl'bub counts as a *big* demon... (I think I was
    thinking of Baazl'bub when I wrote that description... In any case,
    there's nothing between the two in the game yet.)
    --
    Jeff Lait
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    On 6 Feb 2005 03:08:48 -0800, "Jeff Lait" wrote:

    >Lauri Vallo wrote:
    >> POWDER 062 Victory post, score 6361
    >
    >Congratulations!!! You are the first other person I know of to have
    >won POWDER! When people tell me to add a surface level, I can now say:
    >"Ask Lauri Vallo about the surface, where the sun shines on the trees
    >and snow glints on the mountaintops. He has been there!"

    *smiles*

    >I'm happy to see that POWDER can be won by someone unspoiled by the
    >source code. May I have permission to post your YAVP to the POWDER
    >website?

    *nods and smiles*

    >How many turns was this? (It should show up after t: on the high
    >score

    23935

    >Fire resistance is rather useful on the last level, no?

    It felt very useful in the final fight. I didn't even dare trying to
    walk in, or on, the lava.

    >> Spells: sticky flames, chilling touch, spark, flame strike,
    >> regenerate, slow poison, heal, cure poison, major heal, resurrect,
    >> blink, teleport, controlled teleport, raise undead
    >
    >Interesting set. I guess these were granted spells?

    Teleport*, chilling touch, spark, regenerate and slow poison were
    granted, and never used. I only got teleport after slaying the big B.

    The healing ones were learned at the beginning, flame strike and
    sticky flames later. Raise undead was granted before I started using
    healing spells. Second level or so.

    >Poison Resist & Silver Vulnerability you likely picked up eating
    >something. Baezl'bub would give you silver vulnerability, so that one
    >is easy to understand.

    I had silver vulnerability throughout the game though. I couldn't use
    a ring of invisibility.
    [this is only a single occurrence and can be my mistake so skip all
    serious thinking]

    >I don't know if you forgot them at some point. The best attack spells
    >are likely Lightning bolt and Fireball, which you don't have listed.
    >(Well, Acid Splash is likely the best damage/mp, but I only cast it in
    >desperation in the late game...) In any case, with a warhammer like
    >that, I can't blame you for going melee heavy.

    I had a rod of destruction. Sunfire killed the minotaur, who wasn't
    difficult the beat in other ways, but I just had to try out the spell.
    Impressive.

    >Kobold warriors do not need much, IMHO. Being intelligent monsters
    >they can already cause enough grief other ways. (Besides, it is kobold
    >assasins that get haste) Flesh golems, in my experience, show up early
    >enough that I think they pose a threat as is.

    Yeah feshies have my mental "killer"-tag, but certain boots make them
    too easy.

    >I personally find a tipping point around depth 15 or so. The danger
    >seems to drop off after the Cretan Minotaur.

    I agree, but resistances and invisibility play a large part I guess.

    >Some might think Baezl'bub counts as a *big* demon... (I think I was
    >thinking of Baazl'bub when I wrote that description... In any case,
    >there's nothing between the two in the game yet.)

    It's funny that the danger level for Buubzlap is lower than the fire
    elementals and such surrounding him. I know that it's good in the way
    that you allow weaker people who sneak through the dungeon to have a
    change too.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Lauri Vallo wrote:
    > On 6 Feb 2005 03:08:48 -0800, "Jeff Lait" wrote:
    >
    > >Lauri Vallo wrote:
    > >> POWDER 062 Victory post, score 6361
    > >
    > >Congratulations!!! You are the first other person I know of to have
    > >won POWDER! When people tell me to add a surface level, I can now
    say:
    > >"Ask Lauri Vallo about the surface, where the sun shines on the
    trees
    > >and snow glints on the mountaintops. He has been there!"
    >
    > *smiles*
    >
    > >I'm happy to see that POWDER can be won by someone unspoiled by the
    > >source code. May I have permission to post your YAVP to the POWDER
    > >website?
    >
    > *nods and smiles*

    Thank you.

    > >How many turns was this? (It should show up after t: on the high
    > >score
    >
    > 23935

    Thank you. Looks like you explored the deeper depths rather well. My
    ascensions (with times around 13k turns) tend to just speed dive in the
    caverns.

    > >Fire resistance is rather useful on the last level, no?
    >
    > It felt very useful in the final fight. I didn't even dare trying to
    > walk in, or on, the lava.

    Bad memories from Nethack, I presume :> I'm not as cruel as the
    DevTeam (yet).

    > >> Spells: sticky flames, chilling touch, spark, flame strike,
    > >> regenerate, slow poison, heal, cure poison, major heal, resurrect,
    > >> blink, teleport, controlled teleport, raise undead
    > >
    > >Interesting set. I guess these were granted spells?
    >
    > Teleport*, chilling touch, spark, regenerate and slow poison were
    > granted, and never used. I only got teleport after slaying the big B.

    At which point you couldn't use it. How frustrating :>

    > >Poison Resist & Silver Vulnerability you likely picked up eating
    > >something. Baezl'bub would give you silver vulnerability, so that
    one
    > >is easy to understand.
    >
    > I had silver vulnerability throughout the game though. I couldn't use
    > a ring of invisibility.
    > [this is only a single occurrence and can be my mistake so skip all
    > serious thinking]

    Okay, I will. Still, Janne is also reporting silver vulnerability.
    Either you are both into eating the wrong things (look out for "You
    fear silver!" or there might be something odd in the SDL build.

    > >I don't know if you forgot them at some point. The best attack
    spells
    > >are likely Lightning bolt and Fireball, which you don't have listed.
    > >(Well, Acid Splash is likely the best damage/mp, but I only cast it
    in
    > >desperation in the late game...) In any case, with a warhammer like
    > >that, I can't blame you for going melee heavy.
    >
    > I had a rod of destruction. Sunfire killed the minotaur, who wasn't
    > difficult the beat in other ways, but I just had to try out the
    spell.
    > Impressive.

    Props to Hansjorg Malthaner who described that spell as a protypical
    overpowered spell.

    > >Kobold warriors do not need much, IMHO. Being intelligent monsters
    > >they can already cause enough grief other ways. (Besides, it is
    kobold
    > >assasins that get haste) Flesh golems, in my experience, show up
    early
    > >enough that I think they pose a threat as is.
    >
    > Yeah feshies have my mental "killer"-tag, but certain boots make them
    > too easy.

    I tend to find that while I'm wearing them down, something else
    annoying pops up and I have to do some fancy foot work.

    > >I personally find a tipping point around depth 15 or so. The danger
    > >seems to drop off after the Cretan Minotaur.
    >
    > I agree, but resistances and invisibility play a large part I guess.

    True. And that is likely why that tipping point is there - one is
    likely to have collected enough stuff to round out the resistances
    requirements.

    > >Some might think Baezl'bub counts as a *big* demon... (I think I
    was
    > >thinking of Baazl'bub when I wrote that description... In any case,
    > >there's nothing between the two in the game yet.)
    >
    > It's funny that the danger level for Buubzlap is lower than the fire
    > elementals and such surrounding him. I know that it's good in the way
    > that you allow weaker people who sneak through the dungeon to have a
    > change too.

    Baezle'bub's AI isn't really up to snuff yet. He doesn't really use
    his powers to good use. I hope it wasn't too much of an anticlimax to
    fight him :>

    Sneaking through the dungeon is a good strategy. Like Nethack, monster
    generation is loosely based on your Explevel, so a character level 20
    will see fewer fire elementals in the final fight than a charcter level
    30 like yourself. I'm usually only just encountering water elementals
    by the Baazl'bub fight. I'm not entirely sure about this whole
    approach, not liking the implication that more levels might be a bad
    thing. On the other hand, it makes for some interesting tradeoffs.
    Barbarians gain 2 character levels on level up, while Adventurers only
    gain 1, so adventurers will tend to be over equipped and barbarians
    underequipped.
    --
    Jeff Lait
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    J.M. Joensuu wrote:
    > Heart: 069/16 (max over 100), hat: 13/00, stairs: 08/11
    >
    > $1539 t:10002
    >
    > Killed by a cockatrice that got one hit in before gelatinous
    cube-caused
    > paralysation wore off. I had thought an unIdentified ring granted
    > paralysation resistance, because moments before I had fought off 3
    cubes
    > without getting paralysed. Before that, I got paralyzed almost
    > immediately after initiating in melee, and now as well. :(

    There is an intrinsic for paralysation resistance, Freedom. However,
    there is likely another reason why the earlier cubes didn't freeze you.
    If their backsplash doesn't do damage, you can't be paralysed by it.

    > I noticed STONING, but tried to teleport away. Could someone please
    > spoil me on this point? I would really like to avoid doing this
    another
    > time. Washing my hands with Potion of Water? Jumping around? Using
    Wand
    > of Digging on myself?

    I'm sorry, that is an unfair Nethackism. I thought I had put an
    explanation in the Cockatrice info, but it seems I didn't. Spoiler at
    the end of this message.

    > Now, look at his main weapon:
    >
    > The +1 knife Orcoma
    > This artifact grants invisible.
    > Melee: 2d7+3 (light), 1d3+0(physical)
    >
    > Found on first level. He killed *one* creature without this. He had
    > started with a dagger, but had both crystal platemail (start) and
    > mithril chainmail (first room), so tried to be a good warrior with
    good,
    > big weapon. Then wound this baby. :) Before my first scroll of
    identify
    > I hadn't realised why I couldn't damage monsters after they were
    > blinded.

    Wow! That is a sweet knife.

    > +1 Helm of Warning
    > He wasn't wearing his +2 Helm of Telepathy because he had acquired
    > weakness to silver. :(

    Well, you know what they say, you are what you eat :>

    > Wand of nothing(9) Omavraskzu
    > This artifact grants life saved, light radius 2.
    > Melee: 1d3+0 (acid)

    Now that is a bit more powerful than your normal wand of nothing! It
    should have been named "Cat", as it had 9 lives.

    > Had been mainly following Warrior God, but had listened to the
    Berserker
    > God a few times, and made him angry when he learned Direct Wind when
    > facing a Yellow Dragon for the first time. Healer God was also angry,
    > probably because he had been munching on bodies lately. Thief God was

    Pax also doesn't like you picking fights with neutrals. That's usually
    what annoys him (well, other than death magic)

    > Very interesting game. Pity I don't have a gameboy.

    Thank you.

    Now for the spoiler:

    POWDER Stoning Spoiler:

    Two intrinsics prevent you turning to stone. (You still get
    "hardening", but the final stage doesn't result in a statue)

    Stoning Resistance and Unchanging intrinsics both prevent you turning
    into a statue.

    Life saving does not currently rescue from stoning. (This is a bit of
    an oversight. Though, I could justify it as stoning is more suspended
    animation than death)

    Receiving acid damage - even if it is resisted - will end the stoning
    process.

    If a god notices you turning to stone and likes you, you will be
    destoned and given temporary stoning resistance. This is a bit risky
    to rely on though.

    If you are not made of flesh, you can't turn to stone.

    Some creatures don't mind turning to stone. Prakal the Earth Mage
    found this out the hard way.

    The spell Stone To Flesh stop stoning & also provides stoning
    resistance.
    --
    Jeff Lait
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

[...]

    I used the mith. chain mail from that point on, and pair of sandals that
    turned out to be +2. Also found the +1 kite shield early, probably
    should have changed it for something better, but didn't notice most of
    the time. I also found evil ring of regeneration, 3 bows, 0 arrows, and
    got lots of experience from an open level (10, I think). He had meleed
    off Yellow and Green Dragons, Daemons and other nasties with that puny
    little dagger... It got upgraded twice to +2, but recently I found a
    scroll (ATARI, I think) that downgraded it.

    +1 Helm of Warning
    He wasn't wearing his +2 Helm of Telepathy because he had acquired
    weakness to silver. :(
    +3 Sandals
    wedding ring named ResPara :(
    Ring of Regeneration

    +2 Helm of Telepathy
    Holy +3 silver sword
    Used very little.
    2 scrolls of enchant armor
    +1 speed and +0 jump boots (with average noise)
    rings: cold res, fire res, holy fire res,

    search, see invisible

    Wand of nothing(9) Omavraskzu
    This artifact grants life saved, light radius 2.
    Melee: 1d3+0 (acid)

    Found only two scrolls of identify in whole game.

    Had been mainly following Warrior God, but had listened to the Berserker
    God a few times, and made him angry when he learned Direct Wind when
    facing a Yellow Dragon for the first time. Healer God was also angry,
    probably because he had been munching on bodies lately. Thief God was
    above +100, and I had worshipped him once to see if he would bless my
    dagger another time. Barbarian God had been over +200 before that spell.
    Wizard God wasn't too bad for some reason.

    Very interesting game. Pity I don't have a gameboy.

    Janne Joensuu,
    Endoperez

Video Games