Sign in with
Your question

Best budget ($500-$650ish) laptop?

Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
January 8, 2011 5:25:17 AM

Since I missed out on most of the boxing day deals, I'm curious what's still a hot deal in this price range. I will be using the laptop for gaming, but nothing too heavy. Graphics card is much preferred. Anyone have any good leads?
a b D Laptop
January 8, 2011 5:27:35 AM

Where are you at, i.e. UK, Canada, Australia and where do you want to buy from?
m
l
January 8, 2011 5:29:27 AM

Sorry Mod, should have stated off the bat. I'm located in Ontario Canada. GTA Region.
m
l
Related resources
January 8, 2011 5:30:38 AM

Also, big box stores or online resources are fine. I'm aware Intel will be rolling out their new chip soon (or so I'm informed) and part of me would love to hold out, but I need this for school this semester, so the wait isn't much of an option.
m
l
a b D Laptop
January 8, 2011 5:44:27 AM

That's not a bad deal at all. The 5650 should be able to handle games on low settings (modern games, of course). Take a look at the GPU link in my sig to get an idea of what kind of performance to expect from it.
m
l
January 8, 2011 5:49:19 AM

It might be the best buy I'm going to get I think. Though I've heard some wary things about a shite touch pad and apparently some units have a tendency to emit a high pitched sound. Not all, but some. The touch pad is fine, I'll be using a mouse.

That's the best deal I came up with over on RedFlagDeals.ca, but I was advised by a tech friend to check Toms before I made and final decisions.
m
l
a b D Laptop
January 8, 2011 11:54:15 AM

The link doesn't take me to the laptop's specs- just a postal code prompt. Anyways, I'd steer clear of the AMD processors for ANY gaming purposes, as if you were to look at the CPU link in my sig, you'd see that the AMD CPU's are way behind the Intel CPU's in terms of performance.
m
l
January 9, 2011 11:15:45 PM

Anyone else have any tips before I go shopping?
m
l
!