Dell 23" u2312 16:9 or 24" u2412 16:10...please help

alanrudy

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Hello, I bought the Dell 2412, but I'm still in shock at the screen size (came from primarily laptop use). I primarily use the computer for work (internet, ms office, etc). I hear 16:10 is better for web viewing but have also heard kicked around that 16:9 is more natural to what humans see. The issues with this monitor are that I lean in to read text on the screen (looking way too close by OSHA standards) and even with the max height adjustments on monitor/desk/chair, I am only at eye level with 3/4th height of the monitor, not eye level with top/near top line as OSHA also says I should (http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/computerworkstations/components_monitors.html). So I'm thinking the Del 2312 with the 1" lower height and the 1080 resolution (vs 1200 on the 24") will be more comfortable to my viewing posture/reading. I realize I lose 1" of monitor and a little more screen space with the resolution but I'm slightly more concerned with height/readability since both these screens seem to fit a lot on the screen to me. Can anyone please help with advice? I'm agonizing over this too much and just have a couple more days left in my return policy.

Solution
I don't know where you heard that 16:9 is "more natural to what humans see". That's just pure BS.

If you are leaning in to read the text, that tells me that the have difficulty reading the text clearly. If the Dell is adjusted to the lowest height level and your chair is adjusted to the maximum height then that seems to indicate that either the desk is unusually high or you are shorter than the average person.

When working in front of a monitor for a long period of time, then it is better to be eye level with the top of the monitor or a little lower. Looking up at a monitor for a prolonged period of time can put a strain on your neck muscles I suppose. However, you can also roll your eyes to look up a bit w/o having to actually tilt...
I don't know where you heard that 16:9 is "more natural to what humans see". That's just pure BS.

If you are leaning in to read the text, that tells me that the have difficulty reading the text clearly. If the Dell is adjusted to the lowest height level and your chair is adjusted to the maximum height then that seems to indicate that either the desk is unusually high or you are shorter than the average person.

When working in front of a monitor for a long period of time, then it is better to be eye level with the top of the monitor or a little lower. Looking up at a monitor for a prolonged period of time can put a strain on your neck muscles I suppose. However, you can also roll your eyes to look up a bit w/o having to actually tilt your neck.

Solution

alanrudy

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Thanks for the information! I would also like to avoid changing the DPI or the resolution because I think everything would get more blurry. Also, don't want to contantly zoom in and out. So would you recommend the 23" 16:9 or the 24" 16:10 for my case?

Text on a 24" 1920x1200 monitor will be slightly larger than the text on 23" 1920x1080 monitor. So I would prefer to stick with the 24" monitor.

Also, whether you are working at home or in an office building, you are not going to be looking at the monitor every single minute from 9am to 5pm (or later). So you generally should not have to be very concerned about OSHA's standards unless you have a medical condition of some sort where your neck / shoulder would be overly fatigued or injured.

alanrudy

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Okay, thanks so much for the information again! Well, actually I'm on the computer all hours of the day for both work and fun...I don't always have to be, but it's often the most productive thing and what I enjoy doing. But I believe I will be staying with the 24" since the text will be slightly larger. I'm leaning towards keeping the 24" because of the larger text and hoping I get used to it more.