Sign in with
Your question
Solved

XP Upgraded to Win 7 - OEM or Retail?

Last response: in Windows 7
January 10, 2013 1:38:36 PM

I'm currently running a Dell Dimension machine which was purchased with Windows XP (OEM) originally installed on it and has since been upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium.

The whole subject of OEM / Retail and which can and can't be installed on new machines seems to be one which appears in many forums but I still can't seem to find the answer to my question, which is quite simply - Even though the original installation of XP was obviously OEM, when I upgraded to Win 7 did it change to a retail licence key and therefore now allows me to install Win 7 on a new machine that I'm building?

The new machine will have components out of the old machine and therefore the old one will not be able to be used, but it will be a different MB, CPU and RAM.

Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able help out on this matter.

Regards
Steve
January 10, 2013 11:06:29 PM

Stevemap said:
I'm currently running a Dell Dimension machine which was purchased with Windows XP (OEM) originally installed on it and has since been upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium.

The whole subject of OEM / Retail and which can and can't be installed on new machines seems to be one which appears in many forums but I still can't seem to find the answer to my question, which is quite simply - Even though the original installation of XP was obviously OEM, when I upgraded to Win 7 did it change to a retail licence key and therefore now allows me to install Win 7 on a new machine that I'm building?

The new machine will have components out of the old machine and therefore the old one will not be able to be used, but it will be a different MB, CPU and RAM.

Regards
Steve

Ok, you said you upgraded from Windows XP (OEM version) to Windows 7. I want to know, which version are you running? Windows 7 OEM, or Windows 7 retail? Both of them are available from the market. You need to answer this yourself before you know the answer. Windows 7 OEM will not work on other computer, unless the motherboard stays the same. If you are changing another motherboard, Windows 7 OEM will not work. If it's retail version of Windows 7 though, that's another story. It will work on other computers too. So depending which version (retail or OEM), OEM will not work on other computers or changing motherboard, retail will work on other computers or new motherboard.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 10, 2013 11:13:32 PM

Stevemap said:

Regards
Steve

The OEM license is permanently tied to the first computer it installed on and cannot be transferred to another. Microsoft considers the motherboard to be the computer. You may replace the motherboard with an identical board in the case where the motherboard has failed and the license will not be voided, but you cannot upgrade the motherboard at will.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 10, 2013 11:50:21 PM

Stevemap said:

Regards
Steve

This also warrants this question: When you upgraded to Windows 7 did you do it through Windows XP on the M$ website or did you go out and purchase a copy of it to use on your computer?
m
l
a c 395 $ Windows 7
January 11, 2013 12:31:24 AM

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^

OEM vs. Retail

OEM Windows 7 comes preinstalled on computers. This is the cheapest way to buy windows. Large PC manufacturers like Dell, HP etc. (collectively called royalty OEMs) install windows on millions of such PCs. The main characteristics of such systems are:

The license agreement and support agreement is between you and the PC maker, not MS.

Activation by the end user is not required. Windows is preactivated at the factory by the OEM using images and standard SLP keys.

Your copy of windows is locked to that PC. The license is not transferable.

OEM system builder is what you get when you buy from say Newegg or from a local "white box" vendor. It too has the characteristics of Royalty OEM windows. Although it is possible for an individual to buy a System Builder copy, the license requires that the software be installed using the OPK (OEM preinstall kit) and then resold.

Retail version is what you buy from a retailer like Amazon or Bestbuy. Its a full price version that comes packaged in a retail box with a retail product key. It has to be activated online via MS servers using the key on the box, it is not tied to the PC it was first installed on, though it can only be used on a single computer at a time. And, MS directly provides the support for it. It is also more expensive than OEM copies.

As far as functionality is concerned, theres no difference between any of the versions above, given any specific edition (i.e. between OEM pro and retail pro, or between OEM ultimate and retail ultimate).

sevenforums.com

Windows 8 OEM is a whole different ballgame.

License agreement transfer of license of Windows 8
http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.asp...
m
l
January 11, 2013 6:54:10 AM

hedwar2011 said:
This also warrants this question: When you upgraded to Windows 7 did you do it through Windows XP on the M$ website or did you go out and purchase a copy of it to use on your computer?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

When I upgraded to Win7 I purchased the actual boxed product (possibly from Amazon) which contains two DVDs, 1 for 32bit and 1 for 64bit versions.

I've read that an indicator of whether or not you have OEM or Retail versions is if the letters "OEM" appear in the product key shown on the system properties screen and this is indeed the case with my Dell laptop which has not been upgraded from its original install, but I'm looking for an answer with my desktop machine.

I can't remember if the original XP install product key on my Destop contained 'OEM' or not but it definetely does not contain the letters since upgrading and this is why I'm wondering whether or not that licence key is still tied to that MB.

Steve
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
January 11, 2013 7:57:31 AM

Stevemap said:
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

When I upgraded to Win7 I purchased the actual boxed product (possibly from Amazon) which contains two DVDs, 1 for 32bit and 1 for 64bit versions.

I've read that an indicator of whether or not you have OEM or Retail versions is if the letters "OEM" appear in the product key shown on the system properties screen and this is indeed the case with my Dell laptop which has not been upgraded from its original install, but I'm looking for an answer with my desktop machine.

I can't remember if the original XP install product key on my Destop contained 'OEM' or not but it definetely does not contain the letters since upgrading and this is why I'm wondering whether or not that licence key is still tied to that MB.

Steve

You either have upgrade or the Retail. Did it say upgrade on the package?

Sounds to me like you used a full retail to upgrade. If so, you can move the windows 7 to a new machine for sure.

Just to be sure, try this.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/The-Ult...

It will tell you what kind of license you have.
January 11, 2013 8:30:27 AM

FALC0N said:
You either have upgrade or the Retail. Did it say upgrade on the package?

Sounds to me like you used a full retail to upgrade. If so, you can move the windows 7 to a new machine for sure.

Just to be sure, try this.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/The-Ult...

It will tell you what kind of license you have.

Thanks very much Falcon, this has told me very clearly that I have a 'Retail' version of Win7 installed.

So the conclusion is that in the process of upgrading to Win7 I have in fact converted from an OEM version to a Retail version and I can therefore transfer the licence to my new build machine. Which is obviously the ultimate answer that I was looking for.

Many, many thanks
Steve
m
l
January 11, 2013 8:30:58 AM

Best answer selected by Stevemap.
n
nAnd just to re-cap and finalize this subject now that I have actually done the rebuild of my system. I built a new system which was a new case, MB, CPU, RAM and DVD but was able to use the existing PSU, Graphics Card and 2x HDD's.
n
nI simply booted up from the WIN7 (64bit) Upgrade disk and did a custom install, once complete I simply went through the normal online activation process and hey-presto! So no phone call to Microsoft to manually activate or registry hacks etc, just very straight forward.
m
l
!