Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 cannot be installed to this SSD disk

Last response: in Windows 7
January 10, 2013 2:19:31 PM

I have Dell Inspiron N5110 i7 and with 8Gb RAM and I have replace DVD drive with SSD disk in caddy,
and that this is working fine ( when formatting I can copy files), also I have selected AHCI for SATA controller in BIOS.
After that my plan is to put Win7 on SSD disk. So I have make one USB flash with win7 installation from iso file.

Then during installation when I got to point to select SSD disk as disk where OS will be installed I recieve message :

Quote:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu

What I need to do, I have formatted SSD disn with HTFS, I have leave it blank, I have tried all possibilities.

Do u have some idea/help...
January 10, 2013 2:40:49 PM

Ok here is what I suggest. take out your hard drive and have only the SSD connected to the same sata port your current boot drive is connected to. You have to do this anyway so that the recovery partition will be located on the SSD. Then when booting off the Windows 7 media under the drive options remove all partitions from the SSD and let the setup create the partitions it needs then try you install.

Thent
m
l
January 10, 2013 2:52:38 PM

Yes, that cross my mind, but removing HDD from this laptop is very complicated... I have to remove motherbard with removing screeen... and that is not easy job. And also I think it's impossible to disable HDD from BIOS.
m
l
Related resources
January 10, 2013 3:06:26 PM

Perhaps you need just to disconnect the HDD power and Sata cables.
m
l
January 10, 2013 3:12:38 PM

Well, this is laptop, how can I disconnect power or cables ?
m
l
January 10, 2013 3:15:36 PM

You'd be best swapping the old hard drive with the SSD. Apparently your laptop will not boot from the optical caddy. Swap the drives (I know it's hard but you must do it) and load windows to the SSD. After it is completely updated and activated, put your hard drive back in the optical slot and move your files where you want them.
m
l
January 10, 2013 3:28:35 PM

That will be my finall sollution, cose I will lose warranty, and that is two more years
m
l
January 10, 2013 3:31:25 PM

Ok, but that's probably the only way to get it to work.
m
l
January 10, 2013 3:35:30 PM

There was some glipms of sollutions on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925481
but there MS suggested some stupid solution
Quote:

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
Create one or more partitions on all the hard disks that are not initialized.
Restart the computer.
Install Windows Vista.
m
l
!