[POWDER] thoughts

Stu

just started playing a couple of games of powder,
and the first thing that really annoys me is that
every new game, nothing in my inventory is equipped.

i always seem to start with the basics but its just annoying
that none of it is equipped..

second, it my first game, it gave me a cursed sword
so I had no weapon! (it didnt take long for me to die!!)..

is there a way to double the screen size on the linux version?
and maybe use scale2x as well to smooth it out nicely??

shame I sold my gba. would have been a cool play on my flashlinker

there was also part in the dungeon where no wall was to my left,
just black.. should there not be a wall representation??
(tho I did like finding crystal mail on the first level a lucky escape!)

the start equipment seems to be too random, ie: i just started
with a pair of boots, 6 arrows and a bow and hat.

there also seems a bug printing the names of skills when reading a book.
eg: I read

Small Weapon Us
Medium Weapon U
Large Weapon Us
Ranged Weapon U

obviously its chopping the last word up...

I also had an unwinnable game, the first level had a stair down
to a room with no exits.. and I had explored everywhere on the
above level and it was the only ladder down...

--
-- Stu

Stu wrote:
> just started playing a couple of games of powder,

Excellent! Thank you for providing feedback. Please keep me informed
as to how you like/dislike it.

> and the first thing that really annoys me is that
> every new game, nothing in my inventory is equipped.

True. I avoid that because the equipment is random, and it can be
cursed. Thus one might not want to equip it. Your objection is noted.

> i always seem to start with the basics but its just annoying
> that none of it is equipped..
>
> second, it my first game, it gave me a cursed sword
> so I had no weapon! (it didnt take long for me to die!!)..

You can wield a cursed sword, just not take it off again. It's much
better to use the cursed sword than your bare hands!

> is there a way to double the screen size on the linux version?
> and maybe use scale2x as well to smooth it out nicely??

Not yet. It is already doubled from the native res, but I can
understand why you'd want to double it again. Some people play the
..gba version as emulators often have nice 4x doublers that do
smoothing.

I have vague plans of doing this, but have not yet got around to it.

> there was also part in the dungeon where no wall was to my left,
> just black.. should there not be a wall representation??
> (tho I did like finding crystal mail on the first level a lucky
escape!)

The map wraps in the GBA hardware, but I prohibit walking across the
wrap. You basically got to the wrap point, so that is undiggable dirt.

> the start equipment seems to be too random, ie: i just started
> with a pair of boots, 6 arrows and a bow and hat.

At least when you start with arrows you get a bow! :> I recognize
that starting equipment is pretty random. I'm not sure when I'll do
something about it, as I sort of like the variable challenge it
represents.

> there also seems a bug printing the names of skills when reading a
book.
> eg: I read
>
> Small Weapon Us
> Medium Weapon U
> Large Weapon Us
> Ranged Weapon U
>
> obviously its chopping the last word up...

Yep. That is correct. I should move the menu over or reduce the skill
names.

> I also had an unwinnable game, the first level had a stair down
> to a room with no exits.. and I had explored everywhere on the
> above level and it was the only ladder down...

Did you search for secret doors? 's' will search on Linux version.
There should be a secret door in that room...
--
Jeff Lait

Stu

Jeff Lait wrote:

>> second, it my first game, it gave me a cursed sword
>> so I had no weapon! (it didnt take long for me to die!!)..
>
> You can wield a cursed sword, just not take it off again. It's much
> better to use the cursed sword than your bare hands!

well... ;) I dunno... heheh

>> there was also part in the dungeon where no wall was to my left,
>> just black.. should there not be a wall representation??
>> (tho I did like finding crystal mail on the first level a lucky
> escape!)
>
> The map wraps in the GBA hardware, but I prohibit walking across the
> wrap. You basically got to the wrap point, so that is undiggable dirt.

aah ok. that explains it.

>> I also had an unwinnable game, the first level had a stair down
>> to a room with no exits.. and I had explored everywhere on the
>> above level and it was the only ladder down...
>
> Did you search for secret doors? 's' will search on Linux version.
> There should be a secret door in that room...

your right, there was a door (I saved my game with a little forethought)...

cool. I'll keep playing and let you know.

--
-- Stu

Stu wrote:
> Jeff Lait wrote:
> >> I also had an unwinnable game, the first level had a stair down
> >> to a room with no exits.. and I had explored everywhere on the
> >> above level and it was the only ladder down...
> >
> > Did you search for secret doors? 's' will search on Linux version.
> > There should be a secret door in that room...
>
> your right, there was a door (I saved my game with a little
forethought)...

*breathes a sigh of relief*

You had me worried there :>

I know there is a bug where below level 15 the large mazes may not be
entirely connected. By then you should have digging of some sort
anyways, though.

> cool. I'll keep playing and let you know.

Please do.
--
Jeff Lait