[Crawl] I better should use unique names ;-)

I just ran into this horrific situation:

MaxDillon the Wind Mage
Grey Elf
HP: 12/21
# Magic: 11/11
## # AC: 3 (0)
.. # EV: 11
.... # Str: 6
.......#### # Int: 19
.........@# # Dex: 16
.......#.$.# # Gold: 187
##. ...p# Experience: 4/135 (0)
# #....# Level 3 of the Dungeon
#.#.## a) +0,+2 quarterstaff
#.#.#
#.#.# #####
.#.# #....
. . #...
MoxPain's ghost.
He doesn't appear to have noticed you.
Floor.

I was teleported to this room and thus didn't know of any fast and
secure point of retreat. Fortunately (as I thought) there were some
downstairs (where I'm currently standing on) and since fighting a ghost
with a low level GEAE isn't exactly one of my most favourite games, I
took the downstairs - only to run into another trouble:

#.# . MaxDillon the Wind Mage
#.# #.# Grey Elf
#.# #.# HP: 12/21
#.# #.# Magic: 11/11
#.#.# #.# AC: 3 (0)
#)#.# #.# EV: 11
#.#.# #.# Str: 6
#.#.###########.# Int: 19
#............##@# Dex: 16
###.###......##.# Gold: 187
#.# #......##.#### Experience: 4/135 (0)
#.###........p........ Level 4 of the Dungeon
#.......#.###.#### # a) +0,+2 quarterstaff
#.......#.# #.# #
#...%...#.###.####.#...
#.......#..............
#......................
MoxPain's ghost.
Floor.

"What's that? Same ghost on 2 different levels?" I thought. Ghosts can't
change dungeon level and he even wasn't on a connected square (AFAIK
even 'normal' monsters can't follow in this case).

I already was about filing a bug report when I made a last check, looked
at both ghost's descriptions (fortunately 'version' 2 of MoxPain on D:4
didn't have recognized me yet) and realised both were actually
different, just bad luck! Besides, the ghost on D:3 was relatively
harmless and doesn't exist anymore.

For the future I better should try to find a unique name for any new
character, though easier spoken than done. Seems I should look out for
some good name generators... How do you handle the name giving problem?
Any suggestions?

Rubinstein

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 00:37:41 +0100, Rubinstein <picommander@t-online.de>
tried to confuse everyone with this message:

>some good name generators... How do you handle the name giving problem?
>Any suggestions?

I name all my characters Grue. There is no problem with identical ghosts
since you can get its race/class from monster description (probably the
only thing it's useful for).

--
|a\o/r|,-------------.,---------- Timofei Shatrov aka Grue ------------.
| m"a ||FC AMKAR PERM|| mail: grue at mail.ru http://grue3.tripod.com |
| k || PWNZ J00 || KoL:Grue3 NationStates:Holypunkeye |
`-----'`-------------'`-------------------------------------------[4*72]

grue@mail.ru (Timofei Shatrov) wrote:
>On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 00:37:41 +0100, Rubinstein <picommander@t-online.de>
>tried to confuse everyone with this message:
>

>>some good name generators... How do you handle the name giving problem?
>>Any suggestions?
>
>I name all my characters Grue. There is no problem with identical ghosts
>since you can get its race/class from monster description (probably the
>only thing it's useful for).

I like calling mine stuff like BLASTMASTER or STOMPYROBOT.

bork bork bork Rubinstein bork 12:37:41 AM bork 2/20/2005 bork bork:

[Two ghosts with the same name on adjacent levels]

> For the future I better should try to find a unique name for any new
> character, though easier spoken than done. Seems I should look out for
> some good name generators... How do you handle the name giving problem?
> Any suggestions?
>
> Rubinstein

I don't bother to avoid clashes -- even if I did, it wouldn't solve the core
problem of remembering how strong a particular ghost should be, since I have
so many dead characters. :) I just 'x'-check the ghost.

My names tend to be:

- Ironic (a Trog-worshipper named Conjurer, a paladin named Stabber),
- Fitting (really smart hill orcs named MaxPlanck, RichardFeynman, NielsBohr,
KurtGoedel, etc.)
- Based on snatches of my wife's or daughter's speech I here while in the
naming screen, (Karkulka [Little Red Riding Hood], Podsem [C'm'ere! {Come
here!}] Demseumyt [We're gonna get washed], etc.)
- Based on lyrics running through my head (Vzarazicach from the Moravian folk
song that starts out "V Zarazicach...", Soulman from listening to the Blues
Brothers album, etc.)
- Something easily typed with my left hand. :) This leads to occasional
names like Ferega or Vertwa. A similar concern also explains why most of my
characters in ADOM were female. :))

BTW did you know that (on Windows systems at least) the parser at the
game-loading prompt only watches the first six letters of a name? So it's a
lot easier to load a game for a character with a name like
"FederalMutantPotatoHead" than it might seem. (Not that I suggest that you
ever name a character "FederalMutantPotatoHead.")

Erik

Erik Piper wrote:
> - Fitting (really smart hill orcs named MaxPlanck, RichardFeynman, NielsBohr,
> KurtGoedel, etc.)

3 out of 4 hill orcs are quantum physicists! Whodathunkit?

(On top of which, the incompleteness theorem has curious ties to
renormalization theory and perturbative vs. nonperturbative field
theories. What's up with that?)

> - Based on snatches of my wife's or daughter's speech I here while in the
> naming screen, (Karkulka [Little Red Riding Hood], Podsem [C'm'ere! {Come
> here!}] Demseumyt [We're gonna get washed], etc.)

They don't speak English?

> - Based on lyrics running through my head (Vzarazicach from the Moravian folk
> song that starts out "V Zarazicach...", Soulman from listening to the Blues
> Brothers album, etc.)

Duran Duran is curiously absent from this list. :)

bork bork bork Twisted One bork 12:49:51 PM bork 2/21/2005 bork bork:

> Erik Piper wrote:
> > - Fitting (really smart hill orcs named MaxPlanck, RichardFeynman,
> > NielsBohr, KurtGoedel, etc.)

> 3 out of 4 hill orcs are quantum physicists! Whodathunkit?

For some reason, in order to be *famous* for being brilliant, rather than
merely in order to *be* brilliant, it seems to help to be a quantum
physicist. Maybe there's some mysterious Quantum Physicist PR Illuminati at
work here.

Part of Kurt Goedel's life history is tied to my adopted home city (as is a
very large part of Gregor Mendel's, incidentally), plus I really enjoyed
Goedel Escher Bach back in the day, not that I understood a word of it past
about page 500 or so. :)

Other Hill Orcs in that lineage were AlbertEinstein and StephenHawking. I
think that was about it: that it was NielsBohr whom I brought to the endgame
only to forget that that "C" I saw with detect monsters was the level's boss
monster, not just a random Stone Giant, and thus to die to a huge lightning
bolt the moment Niels stepped into LOS; in any case, after that death, I
became bored with Hill Orc Crusaders (though not with Hill Orcs or Crusaders).

[...]

> > - Based on snatches of my wife's or daughter's speech I here while in the
> > naming screen, (Karkulka [Little Red Riding Hood], Podsem [C'm'ere! {Come
> > here!}] Demseumyt [We're gonna get washed], etc.)
>
> They don't speak English?

A little, but it's not useful enough in their situation for them to be very
motivated to learn it, what with us living in their home country of the Czech
Republic and all. :)

> > - Based on lyrics running through my head (Vzarazicach from the Moravian
> > folk song that starts out "V Zarazicach...", Soulman from listening to
> > the Blues Brothers album, etc.)
>
> Duran Duran is curiously absent from this list. :)

Damn you, now I have a curious mix of an unidentifiable Duran Duran piece and
Frankie Goes to Hollywood's old hit "Relax" running in my head.

How did that ancient Chinese curse go? "May you live in the '80s" or
something?

Erik

Erik Piper wrote:
> For some reason, in order to be *famous* for being brilliant, rather than
> merely in order to *be* brilliant, it seems to help to be a quantum
> physicist. Maybe there's some mysterious Quantum Physicist PR Illuminati at
> work here.

Maybe it's because of this little factoid:

"There was a time when the newspapers said that only twelve men
understood the theory of relativity. I do not believe there ever was
such a time. There might have been a time when only one man did, because
he was the only guy who caught on, before he wrote his paper. But after
people read the paper a lot of people understood the theory of
relativity in some way or other, certainly more than twelve. On the
other hand, I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum
mechanics."

-- Richard P. Feynman, The Messenger Lectures, 1964, MIT

> Part of Kurt Goedel's life history is tied to my adopted home city (as is a
> very large part of Gregor Mendel's, incidentally), plus I really enjoyed
> Goedel Escher Bach back in the day, not that I understood a word of it past
> about page 500 or so. :)

I take it that you can't explain the odd connection between
nonperturbative field theories and the incompleteness theorem, then. :)

> Other Hill Orcs in that lineage were AlbertEinstein and StephenHawking.

Hawking -- ah, the guy that conceded his bet with kip thorne recently,
and admitted that the universe runs backwards.

Well, not in so many words, of course, but if information is not
destroyed, then from a system's state one can infer all of its past
states, though the quantum theory seems to prevent inferring all of its
future states. This means that the evolution of the universe is
backwards-deterministic; the future completely determines the past,
although not the other way around.

>>Duran Duran is curiously absent from this list. :)
>
> Damn you, now I have a curious mix of an unidentifiable Duran Duran piece and
> Frankie Goes to Hollywood's old hit "Relax" running in my head.

Unidentifiable? It was probably "Relax, Don't Do It". (All your Duran
Duran mp3 are belong to us.)

bork bork bork Twisted One bork 2:09:56 PM bork 2/21/2005 bork bork:

[Characters named after earworms]

> > > Duran Duran is curiously absent from this list. :)
> >
> > Damn you, now I have a curious mix of an unidentifiable Duran Duran piece
> > and Frankie Goes to Hollywood's old hit "Relax" running in my head.
>
> Unidentifiable? It was probably "Relax, Don't Do It". (All your Duran Duran
> mp3 are belong to us.)

"Relax don't do it" is part of the lyrics from Relax.
I'm beginning to suspect that the unidentifiable Duran Duran tune pestering
me is The Reflex, which is what set Relax loose.

Erk

Erik Piper wrote:
> "Relax don't do it" is part of the lyrics from Relax.

There is also a Duran Duran tune by that name. Probably why the two
songs got entwined in your head, if they have lyrics in common.

> I'm beginning to suspect that the unidentifiable Duran Duran tune pestering
> me is The Reflex, which is what set Relax loose.

I've got both the Duran Duran tunez but not this Frankie thing ... hrm.

bork bork bork Twisted One bork 3:34:21 PM bork 2/21/2005 bork bork:

> Erik Piper wrote:
> > "Relax don't do it" is part of the lyrics from Relax.
>
> There is also a Duran Duran tune by that name. Probably why the two songs
> got entwined in your head, if they have lyrics in common.
>
> > I'm beginning to suspect that the unidentifiable Duran Duran tune
> > pestering me is The Reflex, which is what set Relax loose.
>
> I've got both the Duran Duran tunez but not this Frankie thing ... hrm.

Hmm... it appears that Duran Duran did a cover of Relax. Nonetheless, the
authorship is stated as "Gill/Johnson/O'Toole," and these surnames are in
turn associated with Frankie.

You know, thanks to this research, I am now listening to the autoplay music
for the Duran Duran website alongside a cover of Yes's Heart of the Sunrise
by Little Rock Act, a side project of the Shaking Ray Levi society. This in
turn is causing my head to explode.

Erik

Erik Piper wrote:
> Hmm... it appears that Duran Duran did a cover of Relax.

A "cover"?

> You know, thanks to this research, I am now listening to the autoplay music
> for the Duran Duran website alongside a cover of Yes's Heart of the Sunrise
> by Little Rock Act, a side project of the Shaking Ray Levi society. This in
> turn is causing my head to explode.

How complicated.

*does double-take*

An 80s group that has a Web site? The Web didn't even exist until 1996.
Or maybe it's a fan site?

bork bork bork Twisted One bork 4:53:21 PM bork 2/21/2005 bork bork:

> Erik Piper wrote:
> > Hmm... it appears that Duran Duran did a cover of Relax.
>
> A "cover"?

A cover version. A remake. The same song done by another artist/band.

> > You know, thanks to this research, I am now listening to the autoplay
> > music for the Duran Duran website alongside a cover of Yes's Heart of the
> > Sunrise by Little Rock Act, a side project of the Shaking Ray Levi
> > society. This in turn is causing my head to explode.
>
> How complicated.
>
> *does double-take*
>
> An 80s group that has a Web site? The Web didn't even exist until 1996. Or
> maybe it's a fan site? --

Whaat, you think that all the insipid pop groups of the 80s died in the 80s?
Sadly, this is not the case.

(As you would expect from an insipid 80s pop group that has survived to this
day, their address is their name plus .com, if you want to check it out.
Warning: turn off your speakers, unplug your headphones... or suffer the pure
reheated-80s goodness.)

Erik

Erik Piper wrote:
> bork bork bork Twisted One bork 3:34:21 PM bork 2/21/2005 bork bork:
>
>> Erik Piper wrote:
> [...]
> You know, thanks to this research, I am now listening to the autoplay
> music for the Duran Duran website alongside a cover of Yes's Heart of
> the Sunrise a side project of the Shaking Ray Levi society. This in
> turn is causing my head to explode.

Hey, whoooo! I've just listened to "mind on heaven" from that side
(Skaking Ray Levi).

I'm currently not in the very best mood (caught an ugly flu, the whole
program: drilling headache, bones feeling like glass and hating all and
everything including myself).

Though not exactly medicine, this stuff actually made me smile!
It's a long time I've heard some really fresh and surprising music...

Rubinstein, big red swollen nose combined with a cosmic smile :)

bork bork bork Rubinstein bork 10:16:33 PM bork 2/21/2005 bork bork:

> Erik Piper wrote:
> > bork bork bork Twisted One bork 3:34:21 PM bork 2/21/2005 bork bork:
> >
> >> Erik Piper wrote:
> > [...]
> > You know, thanks to this research, I am now listening to the autoplay
> > music for the Duran Duran website alongside a cover of Yes's Heart of
> > the Sunrise a side project of the Shaking Ray Levi society. This in
> > turn is causing my head to explode.
>
> Hey, whoooo! I've just listened to "mind on heaven" from that side
> (Skaking Ray Levi).
>
> I'm currently not in the very best mood (caught an ugly flu, the whole
> program: drilling headache, bones feeling like glass and hating all and
> everything including myself).
>
> Though not exactly medicine, this stuff actually made me smile!
> It's a long time I've heard some really fresh and surprising music...
>
> Rubinstein, big red swollen nose combined with a cosmic smile :)

Ruby, first off, tell me what's HAPPENING with this place! I leave for two
days and suddenly nobody's talking about Crawl anymore, just the neutron
particle importance of black-swan religious quantum theories! Vot EESS
DEESS???

Second, I'll tell you the secret key to how I found Shakin' Ray: I started
out by desperately seeking MP3's of an 80s/90s experimental folk band from
Michigan called Only a Mother. I failed. But I found Shakin' Ray. (Don't
bother searching for "Only a Mother," though, because it's part of a common
phrase in English. Search for "Frank Pahl" instead.)

Third, let me drag this off-topic by dragging it on-topic: I promised at some
point to jump onto Bowcrawl the moment I win. I thought I was going to win at
any moment. I should have, probably. Instead, I got the brilliant idea of
use-testing a crystal ball in hell. My note for anyone else who might in the
future get such an idea: shoot yourself. Now.

(It was a crystal ball of fixation. It was Tartarus. A Reaper appeared out of
nowhere, as they tend to do when you're in Tartarus, and beat me up real dead
real fast while I was staring at the last episode of "Friends" or whatever
was showing on the }ofFixation.)

Fortunately, I got another halfling crusader going fairly fast, and have even
rounded up an amulet of resist slowing, a nice buckler, and a quick blade.
Still hurts, though.

I promised to just quit if I didn't win. But my preeeecious...

Erik

Erik Piper wrote:
> bork bork bork Rubinstein bork 10:16:33 PM bork 2/21/2005 bork bork:
>

>>Erik Piper wrote:
>>
>>>bork bork bork Twisted One bork 3:34:21 PM bork 2/21/2005 bork bork:

>>>[...]
>>>You know, thanks to this research, I am now listening to the autoplay
>>>music for the Duran Duran website alongside a cover of Yes's Heart of
>>>the Sunrise a side project of the Shaking Ray Levi society. This in
>>>turn is causing my head to explode.
>>
>>Hey, whoooo! I've just listened to "mind on heaven" from that side
>>(Skaking Ray Levi).
>>
>>I'm currently not in the very best mood (caught an ugly flu, the whole
>>program: drilling headache, bones feeling like glass and hating all and
>>everything including myself).
>>
>>Though not exactly medicine, this stuff actually made me smile!
>>It's a long time I've heard some really fresh and surprising music...
>>
>>Rubinstein, big red swollen nose combined with a cosmic smile :)
>

> Ruby, first off, tell me what's HAPPENING with this place! I leave for two
> days and suddenly nobody's talking about Crawl anymore, just the neutron
> particle importance of black-swan religious quantum theories! Vot EESS
> DEESS???

Looked like an extremely fast and hot burning brain star who seems to
implode into a mental black hole right now. Better don't touch it anymore...
When it happenes again, I'll point the contrahents to "BrainQuote":

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/alberteins112024.html

Lots of Einstein quotations here, like
This should help...

> Second, I'll tell you the secret key to how I found Shakin' Ray: I started
> out by desperately seeking MP3's of an 80s/90s experimental folk band...
> [...]

Sounds like my everyday search experience: don't find what I'm looking
for, but what I find is even better (sometimes).

> Third, let me drag this off-topic by dragging it on-topic: I promised at some
> point to jump onto Bowcrawl the moment I win. I thought I was going to win at
> any moment. I should have, probably. Instead, I got the brilliant idea of
> use-testing a crystal ball in hell. My note for anyone else who might in the
> future get such an idea: shoot yourself. Now.

Wasn't it you who already warned me about unID'd crystal balls?
Whoever it was, I took that serious and never touched them.

> (It was a crystal ball of fixation. It was Tartarus. A Reaper appeared out of
> nowhere, as they tend to do when you're in Tartarus, and beat me up real dead
> real fast while I was staring at the last episode of "Friends" or whatever
> was showing on the }ofFixation.)

My sympathy. :-/

> Fortunately, I got another halfling crusader going fairly fast, and have even
> rounded up an amulet of resist slowing, a nice buckler, and a quick blade.
> Still hurts, though.

The race is still open, though I expect you to post the first winner.
I still tend to do the risky actions in the most unfavorable instant.
I'm also playing under handicap currently: my headaches are so brutal
meanwhile, that I park my chars somewhere between level 8 and 10. I just
don't have the concentration to drive them through hairy situations.
Oh boy, I'm so ill, I even stopped smoking and drinking coffee, imagine
that (I am (was?) a chain smoker)...

Rubinstein