Sign in with
Your question

PC Monitor DVI to TV HDMI

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
August 23, 2012 6:08:41 PM

I purchased a DVI to HDMI cable so I could use my pc monitor and watch it on my HDTV. It does not work.
The TV keeps telling me the cable is not connected - check your connections. I changed the resolutin on my pc to 1280x720 and still nothing.
What do I need to do to get this to work?

More about : monitor dvi hdmi

a b C Monitor
August 24, 2012 7:12:47 PM

You are attaching that cable from the PC to the TV, right?
Are you trying to use both the monitor and the TV at the same time?
m
l
August 24, 2012 7:45:53 PM

PhilFrisbie said:
You are attaching that cable from the PC to the TV, right?
Are you trying to use both the monitor and the TV at the same time?

Yes I am using both the monitor and the tv. I have the dvi coonected to the back of the monitor next to the vga cable and the other end says hdmi in (dvi) right on the tv. Do I need a different card or something?
m
l
Related resources
August 24, 2012 7:53:48 PM

What am I doing wrong or what else do I need. I start school on Monday and hlf of mmy lecture is video. I would love to be comfortable in my recliner watching the tv rather at my desk watchiing the monitor
m
l
a b C Monitor
August 25, 2012 6:22:29 PM

The DVI connection on the monitor is IN only; it DOES NOT output video. You cannot daisy chain them.

In order to use both the monitor and the TV, they BOTH need to be connected to your PC.
m
l
August 25, 2012 6:51:02 PM

Thank you. I guess I need a card or a new pc to make this work. I appreciate your help
m
l
a b C Monitor
August 26, 2012 4:14:43 AM

If you current video card only has a single VGA output, then yes, you need a new card or PC.
m
l
August 27, 2012 10:08:08 PM

Thanks. That's what I thought the answer would be. I appreciate your help.
m
l
!