dial-up to dsl problem

I am switching over from dial-up to dsl. I have
successfully made the transition on my base computer but
am having trouble with my wife's. I have an ethernet cable
connecting her pci card to the router but her computer
doesn't recognize the connection. The power light is on on
the pci card and the corresponding LAN light is on on the
router. Verizon has suggested getting another ethernet
cable even though the one I am using is brand new. Or is
there some configuration in the computer I need to change
so it doesn't seek a dial-up modem?

You may want to check in Internet Explorer, Tools/Internet
Options/Connections tab and make sure you have no entries on the main page.
Then click the LAN Settings... button on the bottom-right and there is only
one entry to be active there - Automatically detect settings.

Also, if you go into Network Connections on her machine, make sure the
dial-up modem isn't active and/or in a "bridged" condition. The Network
Interface Card is the only one which should be alive.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

michae lwise wrote:

> I am switching over from dial-up to dsl. I have
> successfully made the transition on my base computer but
> am having trouble with my wife's. I have an ethernet cable
> connecting her pci card to the router but her computer
> doesn't recognize the connection. The power light is on on
> the pci card and the corresponding LAN light is on on the
> router. Verizon has suggested getting another ethernet
> cable even though the one I am using is brand new. Or is
> there some configuration in the computer I need to change
> so it doesn't seek a dial-up modem?
I know this doesnt make any sense , but it has worked for me, back
before my wireless connections went south on me.

Unplug dsl modem. Unplug router. Leave em' unplugged for at least 20
mins or so. Plug back in.