[DoomRL] Level creation bug with switches

Last response: in Video Games
February 26, 2005 3:52:07 AM

In my latest game i found a switch burried in a wall. I could see it,
however, i could not reach it; i presume the wall tile was still there.

Oddly, this happened on one of those "lair" type rooms. You know, the
ones with all the blood, demons, and items inside of it? the switch was
on the *inner* wall, the wall that seperates the bloody section from
the outter, hallway-like section.
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 8:17:46 AM

> BTW any new ideas for switches?
I dont think anything more can be done with switches, but to implement
specific switches which open and close specific invulnerable doorways
(which also presumes invulnerable walls) in a way acting like a
keycard... Yellow switch to Yellow door, Blue switch to Blue door, etc.

Anything else would probably be redundant in some way, as far as i see
it.
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 4:22:59 PM

Uzytkownik wrote:
> In my latest game i found a switch burried in a wall. I could see it,
> however, i could not reach it; i presume the wall tile was still
> there.
> Oddly, this happened on one of those "lair" type rooms. You know, the
> ones with all the blood, demons, and items inside of it? the switch
> was on the *inner* wall, the wall that seperates the bloody section
> from the outter, hallway-like section.

Ok, a bug, I'll see to it. BTW any new ideas for switches?
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)

Uzytkownik wrote:
>> BTW any new ideas for switches?
> I dont think anything more can be done with switches, but to implement
> specific switches which open and close specific invulnerable doorways
> (which also presumes invulnerable walls) in a way acting like a
> keycard... Yellow switch to Yellow door, Blue switch to Blue door,
> etc.

Maybe.

> Anything else would probably be redundant in some way, as far as i see
> it.

I have a few ideas of my own ;-)
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)
"Invalid thought detected. Close all mental processes and restart body."
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 6:29:29 PM

Argh.

Played another game and AGAIN it produced the "spawned switch in wall"
bug, but this time for a room filled with acid (from level-generation)
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 2:13:37 PM

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:

<snip>

> Ok, a bug, I'll see to it. BTW any new ideas for switches?

Yes, what about "fixed" switches that make impassable areas (lava/poison
rivers) passable, via a bridge or a teleport that yanks a character
across the obstacle?

Chris "BlackFurredBeast" Pohl
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 6:37:08 PM

Uzytkownik wrote:
> Argh.
>
> Played another game and AGAIN it produced the "spawned switch in wall"
> bug, but this time for a room filled with acid (from level-generation)

At least it doesn't produce closed levels and acid over the edge of map :-D
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)
"Oh come on. We both know the truth about this game -- vapourware." --
Anathiel about GenRogue
!