Benq xl2420t or Dell u2711

jakezilla99

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
Hi guys, i was wondering if i could get some opinions and help.

Im looking to buy a single monitor to replace the 2 Viewsonic VA2222w's i currently own.
Iv'e been looking at either buying the Benq xl2420t for its 120hz and possible 3d, or the Dell u2711 for the ips panel and 2560x1440 resolution. although the pricing of the monitors is fairly far apart, i would consider buying a pair of nvidia 3d vision glasses for the Benq adding £100 to its price making the 2 monitors around £150 apart.

I use my computer primarily for gaming (although im not the online competitive type) and for collage work such as Photoshop.

i don't feel that i play a definitive genera of game over another i.e fps, rpg, etc. More a mixture. so i thought i would give a short list of the games iv'e recently been playing to help determine what screen i would best benefit from.
In no particular order: L.A. Noire, Skyrim, Max Payne 3, Red Alert 2, Mass Effect 3, The Witcher (1&2), Battlefield 3 and Amnesia.

I know both monitors have their downsides and it may be the case that instead of picking the monitor with the best pros, i opt for the one with the least cons.

any help or insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated thank you!

bullwinkel

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011

revro

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012
well ips will consume much more power i believe. also benq has pivot so you can make portrait or in future you can make multimonitor setup

best
revro

If you are in the US, you probably should look at the Benq xl2420tx instead of the standard Benq xl2420t. The TX version has the build in emitter and glasses come with it.

As mentioned above, it depends on your focus. If photoshop is more than a hobby, you'd be best off with an IPS. If it's not, and you game more than other stuff, I'd get the 120hz and 3D Vision is really awesome (some opinions differ, but not everyone who is vocal against it, has used it).

I'm curious about the trend to move display questions to this forum rather than letting them stay in the "Graphics and Displays" section. Why do they not belong in a section that seems to be named in a way that would invite these questions there as well.

bullwinkel

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011

I fully agree. It seems threads like this die because the OP has no idea where his post went...

jakezilla99

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
thanks for the replies guys.

@bullwinkel: I did have a look at the hp before but i read some other forums that said between the two they would opt for the dell without a second thought, that sort of put me off the idea but i will bring it back into consideration now.

@revro: The power consumption isn't that much of a hinderence for me at the moment and is the pivot that much of an advantage? where abouts would it give you an advantage over the standard landscape setting?

@bystander: Unfortunately i live in the UK so if i want to use the 3D thats another £100 or so towards the glasses and emitter. At the moment i think i game more than anything else, but ill be doing increasing amounts of photoshop and illustrator work for collage.

@bullwinkel (again): I've been away for the weekend sorry if it seemed as though i had abandoned the thread.

The thing I'm most concerned about is that I'm not really looking for a performance upgrade, if i was going for 120hz it would be for the smoothness that i have heard so many people talk about not the advantage it gives online, I'm more than happy being bottom of the leader board when i play battlefield 3. I mean hey, someone has to be.
So from a purely ascetic point of view what would be a better choice, 120hz and the ability for 3D or a 2560x1440 resolution and truer colours?

Since you are going to be in college, and using it for Photoshop and illustrator, I'd say just get the IPS monitor.

Unless you are like me, and get sick when playing games with FPS below 60 on a 60hz monitor. This is a motion sickness issue I suffer, and many others do too, but most just ignore it.

bullwinkel

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011

Did they say why they preferred the Dell over the HP?

jakezilla99

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
They said that the Hp had the same anti gloss screen as the Dell, it also apparently has a lower response time and has no on screen display so you cant change the colour, brightness, etc. thats all that jumps to mind for the moment.

bullwinkel

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Overall it is faster and better for games. However, the fact that it has no OSD for color options is a little annoying. You should read both reviews I posted earlier.