Wirless Options

I am ready to order a new laptop. There are four options for wireless.

Intel 802.11b
Intel 802.11b&g
Dell 802.11b
Dell 802.11b,g, &a

I understand the differences between a, b, and g. I currently am satisfied
with 802.11b. My question is there a difference in batter life with the
different options. I'd like to have the longest batter life and 802.11b is
pretty much everywhere I go.

TIA
Steve
2 answers Last reply
More about wirless options

    "Steve" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote:
    >Intel 802.11b
    >Dell 802.11b
    >I currently am satisfied
    >with 802.11b. My question is there a difference in batter life with the
    >different options. I'd like to have the longest batter life and 802.11b is
    >pretty much everywhere I go.

    If you drill down through the "give me more info" when you are
    selecting the WiFi card, you can get all the details on output power,
    power consumption when active, inactive, and in sleep mode. IIRC
    there were some big differences, but I went with the Intel, as the
    drivers have power control, and output power control is probably more
    significant than the other details in extending battery life.

    Thanks very much for the advice. I'll go with the Intel 802.11 b & g I
    think.
    <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
    > "Steve" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote:
    > >Intel 802.11b
    > >Dell 802.11b
    > >I currently am satisfied
    > >with 802.11b. My question is there a difference in batter life with the
    > >different options. I'd like to have the longest batter life and 802.11b
    is
    > >pretty much everywhere I go.
    >
    > If you drill down through the "give me more info" when you are
    > selecting the WiFi card, you can get all the details on output power,
    > power consumption when active, inactive, and in sleep mode. IIRC
    > there were some big differences, but I went with the Intel, as the
    > drivers have power control, and output power control is probably more
    > significant than the other details in extending battery life.

Dell WiFi Intel Computers