Wirless Options

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
August 14, 2004 2:00:25 PM

I am ready to order a new laptop. There are four options for wireless.

Intel 802.11b
Intel 802.11b&g
Dell 802.11b
Dell 802.11b,g, &a

I understand the differences between a, b, and g. I currently am satisfied
with 802.11b. My question is there a difference in batter life with the
different options. I'd like to have the longest batter life and 802.11b is
pretty much everywhere I go.

TIA
Steve

More about : wirless options

Anonymous
August 14, 2004 9:01:00 PM

"Steve" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote:
>Intel 802.11b
>Dell 802.11b
>I currently am satisfied
>with 802.11b. My question is there a difference in batter life with the
>different options. I'd like to have the longest batter life and 802.11b is
>pretty much everywhere I go.

If you drill down through the "give me more info" when you are
selecting the WiFi card, you can get all the details on output power,
power consumption when active, inactive, and in sleep mode. IIRC
there were some big differences, but I went with the Intel, as the
drivers have power control, and output power control is probably more
significant than the other details in extending battery life.
August 15, 2004 2:44:10 PM

Thanks very much for the advice. I'll go with the Intel 802.11 b & g I
think.

!