Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

[DoomRL] YASD

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 5:49:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

--------------------------------------------------------------
DoomRL (v.0.9.7 (WIN)) roguelike post-mortem character dump
--------------------------------------------------------------

Araltaln, level 6 soldier, killed by a Cyberdemon
on level 20 of the Phobos base.
He survived 76995 turns and scored 25964 points.
He found the Phobos Arena.
He stormed the Chained Court.
He ventured into the Halls of Carnage.

... and blew up the reward before I got to it. I have yet to fire that
thing, even when I've had it. *shrug*

He fought on Hell's Arena.

Hell's Arena is possibly too easy, considering it's fairly likely one
will find a combat shotgun before wandering in there, and the
early-game chaingun this results in makes things even easier. Then
again...

He faced The Wall.

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health -4/70 Experience 21085/6
ToHit +0 ToDmg Ranged +0 ToDmg Melee +0

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Ironman (Level 2)
Hellrunner (Level 3)

.... maybe it's just Hellrunner that needs toning down. It, for me at
least, just seems to let all sorts of silly things happen, from easy
Hell's Arena wins to running up to the Cyberdemon without being so much
as touched by a rocket's explosion.

Tough as nails (Level 1)

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor ] nothing

I had red armor, but no replacement. Not that I'd have had time to put
a fresh suit on anyway.

[ Weapon ] chainsaw (4d6)

Yes, I said running up to the Cyberdemon earlier :)  The S in YASD is,
in this case, Silly. I wasn't so crazy as to attempt the entire fight
with the chainsaw, though, using rockets to get it down to almost dead
before closing. For anyone else attempting this in future, the problem
was I couldn't land a single melee hit in 10 attempts. I'll have to try
Eagle Eye instead next time.

[c] [ Boots ] protective boots [4/4] (87%)

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] advanced rocket launcher (4d5) [1/1]
plasma rifle (1d8)x8 [40/40]
[c] advanced combat shotgun (6d4) [5/5]

*hugs shotgun* The combat shotgun tends to be my weapon of choice
against most anything but knights and barons anyway, and this just
sweetened the deal.

[d] shotgun shell (x49)
[e] rocket (x9)
[f] power cell (x8)
power cell (x50)
[h] power cell (x50)
power cell (x50)

I actually managed to run out of 10mm ammo for a change. Kinda scary.

[j] phase device

I probably should have used this instead of taking one final attack
with the chainsaw, but didn't. *shrug*

[k] thermonuclear bomb

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

48 former humans
43 former human sergeants
14 former human captains
28 imps
33 demons
37 lost souls
16 cacodemons
14 barons of hell
18 hell knights
5 arachnotrons

Is the dodge system bonus a multiplier? These guys could barely hit me
when I was on the move, but hit with nearly every shot when I was
standing still.

7 former human commanders

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

Before him 4 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
2 of those were killed.

Some rumours though, say that the Cyberdeamon was killed already!
Is he immortal? 2 souls claim to have killed him...
2 killed the bastard and survived.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I'll chainsaw you yet, CD!

--Araltaln

More about : doomrl yasd

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 2:39:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Araltaln wrote:
> He ventured into the Halls of Carnage.
> > .. and blew up the reward before I got to it. I have yet to fire that
> thing, even when I've had it. *shrug*

:-D

> He fought on Hell's Arena.
>
> Hell's Arena is possibly too easy, considering it's fairly likely one
> will find a combat shotgun before wandering in there, and the
> early-game chaingun this results in makes things even easier. Then
> again...

Yeah, you might be right ;-). I think I'll increase the Arena's difficulty.

> Ironman (Level 2)
> Hellrunner (Level 3)
>
> ... maybe it's just Hellrunner that needs toning down. It, for me at
> least, just seems to let all sorts of silly things happen, from easy
> Hell's Arena wins to running up to the Cyberdemon without being so
> much as touched by a rocket's explosion.

You're the first to complain :-D. But Cyber is almost blind in this release
anyway. And you *should* be able to avoid his rockets with H3 under the
condition that you only run.

> [ Weapon ] chainsaw (4d6)
>
> Yes, I said running up to the Cyberdemon earlier :)  The S in YASD is,
> in this case, Silly. I wasn't so crazy as to attempt the entire fight
> with the chainsaw, though, using rockets to get it down to almost dead
> before closing. For anyone else attempting this in future, the problem
> was I couldn't land a single melee hit in 10 attempts. I'll have to
> try Eagle Eye instead next time.

Uh, I'll have to double check wether EagleEye increases hitting in melee
;-). But a brave attempt I must say :-D (should be rewarded in the future
;D)

> [c] advanced combat shotgun (6d4) [5/5]
>
> *hugs shotgun* The combat shotgun tends to be my weapon of choice
> against most anything but knights and barons anyway, and this just
> sweetened the deal.

Cool :-D Seems the weapons are balanced now! Save for the pistol and combat
knife, what is the most useless weapon now?

> power cell (x50)
> [h] power cell (x50)
> power cell (x50)
>
> I actually managed to run out of 10mm ammo for a change. Kinda scary.

Good ;-D

> [j] phase device
>
> I probably should have used this instead of taking one final attack
> with the chainsaw, but didn't. *shrug*

Naughty :-D

> [k] thermonuclear bomb

Or at least this ;-)

> 5 arachnotrons
>
> Is the dodge system bonus a multiplier? These guys could barely hit me
> when I was on the move, but hit with nearly every shot when I was
> standing still.

Hellrunner was intended to simulate master Doom-players moving so fast, that
they couldn't be hi by anything. I think it simulates it well ;-D

> Before him 4 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
> 2 of those were killed.
>
> Some rumours though, say that the Cyberdeamon was killed already!
> Is he immortal? 2 souls claim to have killed him...
> 2 killed the bastard and survived.

2 YACD's in the collection I see :-D

> I'll chainsaw you yet, CD!

:-D
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)
"The name of GenRogue, has become a warning against excessively complex
design." -- RGRD FAQ
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 7:48:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> Araltaln wrote:
> > He fought on Hell's Arena.
> >
> > Hell's Arena is possibly too easy, considering it's fairly likely
one
> > will find a combat shotgun before wandering in there, and the
> > early-game chaingun this results in makes things even easier. Then
> > again...
>
> Yeah, you might be right ;-). I think I'll increase the Arena's
difficulty.

Heh, after posting this karma came back and bit me in the rear, I died
in the Arena twice in a row ;)  I wasn't running away enough, though, I
think.

> > Hellrunner (Level 3)
> >
> > ... maybe it's just Hellrunner that needs toning down. It, for me
at
> > least, just seems to let all sorts of silly things happen, from
easy
> > Hell's Arena wins to running up to the Cyberdemon without being so
> > much as touched by a rocket's explosion.
>
> You're the first to complain :-D. But Cyber is almost blind in this
release
> anyway. And you *should* be able to avoid his rockets with H3 under
the
> condition that you only run.

But.. but.. could he at least fire his rockets at the ground or
something? :p  In any event, it's not /just/ the dodge chance that makes
Hellrunner so great, the move cost reduction is wonderful as well--I
can back up and reload whatever I'm using faster than things can just
come after me. It's like staying out of the monsters vision range with
CatEye, except they can come after me for all I care.

> > [ Weapon ] chainsaw (4d6)
> >
> > Yes, I said running up to the Cyberdemon earlier :)  The S in YASD
is,
> > in this case, Silly. I wasn't so crazy as to attempt the entire
fight
> > with the chainsaw, though, using rockets to get it down to almost
dead
> > before closing. For anyone else attempting this in future, the
problem
> > was I couldn't land a single melee hit in 10 attempts. I'll have to
> > try Eagle Eye instead next time.
>
> Uh, I'll have to double check wether EagleEye increases hitting in
melee
> ;-). But a brave attempt I must say :-D (should be rewarded in the
future
> ;D)

Heh, I guess I'll do something easier in the meantime, then ;)  *starts
polishing up a pistol*

> > [c] advanced combat shotgun (6d4) [5/5]
> >
> > *hugs shotgun* The combat shotgun tends to be my weapon of choice
> > against most anything but knights and barons anyway, and this just
> > sweetened the deal.
>
> Cool :-D Seems the weapons are balanced now! Save for the pistol and
combat
> knife, what is the most useless weapon now?

The chainsaw, I need to be able to circlestrafe and use it at the same
time ;)  If we throw the shotgun out as well (as there's two versions of
it that are strictly better), there's not any one weapon that has a
major downside, IMO, and it's more a matter of playstyle--for instance,
I'm going to stay away from the plasma rifle unless I've decided to
load up on EE and SOB ;) 

> > power cell (x50)
> > [h] power cell (x50)
> > power cell (x50)
> >
> > I actually managed to run out of 10mm ammo for a change. Kinda
scary.
>
> Good ;-D

Heh, I don't seem to run out of any particular type of ammo with
regularity, although missing Halls of Carnage had caused me to run out
of shotgun shells in my just-crashed game--I'd have been more sad about
running out of shells if I didn't have 60+ rockets, though ;)  It's just
one of those things that happens, I guess.

> > [j] phase device
> >
> > I probably should have used this instead of taking one final attack
> > with the chainsaw, but didn't. *shrug*
>
> Naughty :-D

But what if I'd connected with that one last hit?

> > [k] thermonuclear bomb
>
> Or at least this ;-)

Going for a draw? The blood gods would not have been pleased :p 

> > Before him 4 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
> > 2 of those were killed.
> >
> > Some rumours though, say that the Cyberdeamon was killed already!
> > Is he immortal? 2 souls claim to have killed him...
> > 2 killed the bastard and survived.
>
> 2 YACD's in the collection I see :-D

Yes, but they've been rather boring--basically substitute "extended
combat shotgun" for "advanced combat shotgun" and don't have me switch
to the chainsaw at the end, and you get either one of them ;) 

> Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)

Oh, this isn't the same email address as you have listed on the DoomRL
website, would you prefer bug reports be sent here? I've got another
couple of nasty double access violations for you ;) 

--Araltaln
Related resources
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 4:11:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

quoting Araltaln <araltaln@gmail.com>:
>Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>>Yeah, you might be right ;-). I think I'll increase the Arena's difficulty.
>Heh, after posting this karma came back and bit me in the rear, I died
>in the Arena twice in a row ;)  I wasn't running away enough, though, I
>think.

The trouble with the Arena is that either you get surrounded at the start
and flattened, or you're fine.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is Oneiros, March.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 5:33:10 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Araltaln wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>> Araltaln wrote:
>> Yeah, you might be right ;-). I think I'll increase the Arena's
>> difficulty.
>
> Heh, after posting this karma came back and bit me in the rear, I died
> in the Arena twice in a row ;)  I wasn't running away enough, though, I
> think.

I guess it's okay then ;-)

>> You're the first to complain :-D. But Cyber is almost blind in this
>> release anyway. And you *should* be able to avoid his rockets with
>> H3 under the condition that you only run.
>
> But.. but.. could he at least fire his rockets at the ground or
> something? :p  In any event, it's not /just/ the dodge chance that
> makes Hellrunner so great, the move cost reduction is wonderful as
> well--I can back up and reload whatever I'm using faster than things
> can just come after me. It's like staying out of the monsters vision
> range with CatEye, except they can come after me for all I care.

I'll see what other people say :-D

>> Uh, I'll have to double check wether EagleEye increases hitting in
>> melee ;-). But a brave attempt I must say :-D (should be rewarded in
>> the future ;D)
>
> Heh, I guess I'll do something easier in the meantime, then ;)  *starts
> polishing up a pistol*

Pistol win? ;-)

>> Cool :-D Seems the weapons are balanced now! Save for the pistol and
>> combat knife, what is the most useless weapon now?
>
> The chainsaw, I need to be able to circlestrafe and use it at the same
> time ;)  If we throw the shotgun out as well (as there's two versions
> of it that are strictly better), there's not any one weapon that has a
> major downside, IMO, and it's more a matter of playstyle--for
> instance, I'm going to stay away from the plasma rifle unless I've
> decided to load up on EE and SOB ;) 

That was exactly what I intended and it seems it worked out well.

>>> I probably should have used this instead of taking one final attack
>>> with the chainsaw, but didn't. *shrug*
>>
>> Naughty :-D
>
> But what if I'd connected with that one last hit?

Who knows ;-).

>>> [k] thermonuclear bomb
>>
>> Or at least this ;-)
>
> Going for a draw? The blood gods would not have been pleased :p 

ROTFL ;-). Armok wouldn't be pleased :-D

>> 2 YACD's in the collection I see :-D
>
> Yes, but they've been rather boring--basically substitute "extended
> combat shotgun" for "advanced combat shotgun" and don't have me switch
> to the chainsaw at the end, and you get either one of them ;) 

Uuuh ;-(. I'll work on the replayability now tough.

>> Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)
>
> Oh, this isn't the same email address as you have listed on the DoomRL
> website, would you prefer bug reports be sent here? I've got another
> couple of nasty double access violations for you ;) 

Send them in ;-)
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)
"If hackers will ever use virtual reality, it would show a bunch of
text terminals floating around them..." -- The Sheep
!