Epson Artisan 50 - "This is not a genuine ink cartridge" error

Obelix146

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Is there a way to disable this error on an Epson Artisan 50, without buying their outrageously overpriced ink?

I've been using OEM-cartridges for years and never had as many isses as with this printer. It is now rejecting a cartridge it was printing from for the last week, after I exchange a different color OEM-cartridge that it accepted.

Any real help is greatly apreciated.

Jurgen

strangeproblem

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
I dont have that type of pinter but my HP sounds to be the same issue. I discovered if I replaced the wrong color in the empty ink slot, I would get the error message. Then I discovered on the empty color ink cartride there is a tiny computer chip in the "face plate" of the cartridge. The chip is needed for the printer to think it has the correct color. I simply switched the face plates on the empty color cover and put that face plate with the corret chip on a black ink cartridge. SO I didn't have to buy color I don't need. SO far it has worked.

inkspots

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013

YES

I found a way to use cheap cartridges in the Artisan 50... When printer stops and says "replace cartridge", or "cartridge not recognized", go ahead and install new generic cartridge per printer's instructions. Then click on link button "get Epson cartridges" on the status monitor. This link takes you to the Epson store. Then click off their webpage. Then a screen pops up saying "replace cartridges", click "already purchased" button. Screen goes off, and printer starts preparing cartridges. When power light is steady, printer is ready to print. This procedure fools the printer into thinking you purchased the Epson cartridges.

I also read where later updates of the printer driver foiled this procedure, so I installed the original driver from the disk that came with the printer, and turned off auto update feature.

LOL