Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Moved my hdd to a new pc. Windows 7 wants a new license

Last response: in Windows 7
January 10, 2013 4:41:44 PM

Hi there!

I've got a big problem and do not really know how to solve it.
A few years ago I bought a pre-installed computer and recently I decided to upgrade my PC.
So I bought a motherboard, ram, and a processor. I took my old hard drive that I had when I bought the pre-installed computer and put it into my new computer / upgraded computer. And everything worked fine until I saw that the windows wanted me to update my registration key.
I've checked around on the internet and most of them say it is just to reinstall windows 7 with your CD-key. Which i don't have since i bought a pre-installed computer.

Any sort help would be appreciated because I have no idea what to do about it.

I have, however, recovery discs that I burned off when I first bought the pre-installed computer but I do not know if it would work.
I'm running on Windows 7 64bit.
a b $ Windows 7
January 10, 2013 4:46:12 PM

you have to buy a windows cd. windows license is bound to one system
m
l
January 10, 2013 4:48:17 PM

You might be able to do the phone registration with MS. I did that once with an OEM install of Windows on a machine where the motherboard died. Wasn't there a sticker for the license key on the original computer?
m
l
Related resources
January 10, 2013 4:52:00 PM

Jim_L9 said:
You might be able to do the phone registration with MS. I did that once with an OEM install of Windows on a machine where the motherboard died. Wasn't there a sticker for the license key on the original computer?

Yes there is a sticker on the side of the chassi with a product code, is it that one?
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
January 10, 2013 5:26:19 PM

Technically the OEM license (OEM is what prebuilt systems include) is tied to the MOBO of the first system it is installed on and is not transferable to a new system -- So when you moved the HDD to the new system the old license died !

That said Microsoft is usually fairly forgiving and will many times activate the license on the new system even though they are under no obligation to do so --- what you need to do is run the activation wizard and attempt to reactivate the license -- If it fails using the auto activation process (which it will if you used recovery disks since those disks include the generic SLP key that requires some code from the OEM in the BIOS chip of your MOBO - which your new MOBO does not have !)

Once it fails you will be given a chance to change the product key at which point you will want to change the key to the one that is on that label (this is the unique key for your installation provided by the OEM - since they install all of their Oses using the same slp key ms requires that they provide a label attached to each system with a key to be used for reinstallation that has the unique system key instead of a bulk SLP key) -- Once you change to that key try activating again (it might auto activate or might fail again -- If it passes you're done and activated) If it fails again you will be given an option to use the phone activation - get your phone and call the number it tells you.

At this point you will be connected to a computer automated system where you enter the key string displayed on your activation screen into the phone and the computer will give you a response code to enter - Enter it and it will either activate (you're done) or fail to activate at which point you will be offered the chance to speak to a rep.

Talk to the rep and explain the situation (you've changed the MOBO and need to reactivate the license) - at this point the CS rep will askk a few questions and depending on your answers and their mood will decide whether to give you a new activation code or tell you that you need to purchase a new license ( As mentioned they are usually fairly forgiving and will in most cases just provide a new activation code (as long as the key you use has not been used many other times already !) but there are times where they will not and will tell you that you need to repurchase a new license.

If that happens you have 2 choices - either buy the new code or hang up and weait a few minutes and try calling again ! (Since calling again will usually result in you talking to a different rep and each one makes the final decision on whether to provide a new key or not it never hurts to try a couple times if needed !)
January 10, 2013 6:02:53 PM

JDFan said:
Technically the OEM license (OEM is what prebuilt systems include) is tied to the MOBO of the first system it is installed on and is not transferable to a new system -- So when you moved the HDD to the new system the old license died !

That said Microsoft is usually fairly forgiving and will many times activate the license on the new system even though they are under no obligation to do so --- what you need to do is run the activation wizard and attempt to reactivate the license -- If it fails using the auto activation process (which it will if you used recovery disks since those disks include the generic SLP key that requires some code from the OEM in the BIOS chip of your MOBO - which your new MOBO does not have !)

Once it fails you will be given a chance to change the product key at which point you will want to change the key to the one that is on that label (this is the unique key for your installation provided by the OEM - since they install all of their Oses using the same slp key ms requires that they provide a label attached to each system with a key to be used for reinstallation that has the unique system key instead of a bulk SLP key) -- Once you change to that key try activating again (it might auto activate or might fail again -- If it passes you're done and activated) If it fails again you will be given an option to use the phone activation - get your phone and call the number it tells you.

At this point you will be connected to a computer automated system where you enter the key string displayed on your activation screen into the phone and the computer will give you a response code to enter - Enter it and it will either activate (you're done) or fail to activate at which point you will be offered the chance to speak to a rep.

Talk to the rep and explain the situation (you've changed the MOBO and need to reactivate the license) - at this point the CS rep will askk a few questions and depending on your answers and their mood will decide whether to give you a new activation code or tell you that you need to purchase a new license ( As mentioned they are usually fairly forgiving and will in most cases just provide a new activation code (as long as the key you use has not been used many other times already !) but there are times where they will not and will tell you that you need to repurchase a new license.

If that happens you have 2 choices - either buy the new code or hang up and weait a few minutes and try calling again ! (Since calling again will usually result in you talking to a different rep and each one makes the final decision on whether to provide a new key or not it never hurts to try a couple times if needed !)

Thank you so much!! it worked on the
"Once it fails you will be given a chance to change the product key at which point you will want to change the key to the one that is on that label (this is the unique key for your installation provided by the OEM" part
And thanks for all the replies :wahoo: 
m
l
January 10, 2013 6:03:15 PM

Best answer selected by Iskalder.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 10, 2013 6:13:47 PM

Glad it worked out !
m
l