[Announce] Dweller 0.7.0 (now with optional graphics suppo..

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.announce,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Hi,

It's been almost two months since the last release of
Dweller. Unfortunately I can't say that I've been working day and night
for two months with a new and fantastic release of Dweller... Projects at
work have required my 100% attention lately and there has been little time
left for anything else. Still, I've managed to compile a new version of
the game.

The new release contains a graphics version of Dweller as well as some
bugfixes and new features. The beautiful little 8x8 tiles contributed by
Petr Visek are really amazing! Thanks Petr!

Release notes and links:

Generic MIDP1 versions
http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jar
http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jad
http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerGfx.jar
http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerGfx.jad

Nokia fullscreen versions
http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerNokia.jar
http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerNokia.jad
http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerNokiaGfx.jar
http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerNokiaGfx.jad

Release notes and Download page
http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.txt
http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/index.wml

2005-03-01 v.0.7.0
NEW Added some beautiful graphics kindly contributed by Petr "JuPiTeR"
Visek. Thanks Petr!

2005-01-07 v.0.6.36
NEW The player will be notified if a save game exists when the game is
started

2005-01-04 v.0.6.35
CHANGE Player will always start on up/down stairs if going down/up

2005-01-02 v.0.6.34
CHANGE You can no longer gain more than one level at a time
FIX Poison didn't properly reduce attack and defence of victim

2005-01-01 v.0.6.33
CHANGE Key 1/3 and 7/9 now actually move an entire page up or down in the
menues
CHANGE "You go deeper into the dungeon" -> "You go down to depth x"
CHANGE Prevented use of offensive spells on yourself
CHANGE Scrolls do not require any MP and are easier to use than books and
wands
FIX Solved monster item drops that replaced item already on the ground
FIX Speed items didn't stack properly
NEW Added more "flavour" texts to items, based on their enchantments

2004-12-30 v.0.6.32
CHANGE Game menu remembers it's last state (less scrolling)
CHANGE Increased chance of MP recovery
NEW Added individual carrying capacity for the different character classes
NEW Added "Carrying x/y" to Character screen to show inventory weight and
carrying capacity

2004-12-29 v.0.6.31
CHANGE Made level ups a bit more frequent on higher levels
CHANGE Changed from "You reached depth x" to "Depth x" to fit smaller
displays
CHANGE Targets standing in a cell that blocks LOS can still be targeted
CHANGE Level up/death screen shown AFTER actual game messages instead of
before
FIX Corrected some weight problems (bows and books weighed 0)
NEW Pressing # while in "examine" mode will take you to the inventory
NEW Pressing # while in "item menu" mode will take you back to the inventory

2004-12-27 v.0.6.30
NEW Load option on the game menu isn't shown if there is no save game

2004-12-26 v.0.6.29
FIX Sometimes nothing was summoned on summon traps
FIX Solved item drops that replaced item already on the ground

2004-12-25 v.0.6.28
CHANGE Prevented monster drops on top of stairs and in doorways
NEW Added option to disarm traps when in look mode
NEW Added option to close door when in look mode

--
Björn Bergström
roguelike development [http://roguelikedevelopment.org]

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Björn Bergström wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's been almost two months since the last release of
> Dweller. Unfortunately I can't say that I've been working day and night
> for two months with a new and fantastic release of Dweller... Projects at
> work have required my 100% attention lately and there has been little time
> left for anything else. Still, I've managed to compile a new version of
> the game.
>
> The new release contains a graphics version of Dweller as well as some
> bugfixes and new features. The beautiful little 8x8 tiles contributed by
> Petr Visek are really amazing! Thanks Petr!
>
> Release notes and links:
>
> Generic MIDP1 versions
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jar
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jad
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerGfx.jar
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerGfx.jad
>
> Nokia fullscreen versions
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerNokia.jar
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerNokia.jad
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerNokiaGfx.jar
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerNokiaGfx.jad
>
> Release notes and Download page
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.txt
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/index.wml
>

> 2005-03-01 v.0.7.0
> NEW Added some beautiful graphics kindly contributed by Petr "JuPiTeR"
> Visek. Thanks Petr!

YAY

> 2005-01-07 v.0.6.36
> NEW The player will be notified if a save game exists when the game is
> started

COOL

> 2005-01-04 v.0.6.35
> CHANGE Player will always start on up/down stairs if going down/up

NICE

> 2005-01-02 v.0.6.34
> CHANGE You can no longer gain more than one level at a time
> FIX Poison didn't properly reduce attack and defence of victim

GOOD

> 2005-01-01 v.0.6.33
> CHANGE Key 1/3 and 7/9 now actually move an entire page up or down in the
> menues

YES

> CHANGE "You go deeper into the dungeon" -> "You go down to depth x"

MMMM

> CHANGE Prevented use of offensive spells on yourself

PHEW

> CHANGE Scrolls do not require any MP and are easier to use than books and
> wands

YABBADA!

> FIX Solved monster item drops that replaced item already on the ground

TASTY

> FIX Speed items didn't stack properly

TRUE

> NEW Added more "flavour" texts to items, based on their enchantments

EXCELLENT

> 2004-12-30 v.0.6.32
> CHANGE Game menu remembers it's last state (less scrolling)
> CHANGE Increased chance of MP recovery
> NEW Added individual carrying capacity for the different character classes

BEWDEY

> NEW Added "Carrying x/y" to Character screen to show inventory weight and
> carrying capacity

CREAM

> 2004-12-29 v.0.6.31
> CHANGE Made level ups a bit more frequent on higher levels

HMMM

> CHANGE Changed from "You reached depth x" to "Depth x" to fit smaller
> displays

GOOD ONE

> CHANGE Targets standing in a cell that blocks LOS can still be targeted

YUM

> CHANGE Level up/death screen shown AFTER actual game messages instead of
> before

HEH

> FIX Corrected some weight problems (bows and books weighed 0)

APPROVE :)

> NEW Pressing # while in "examine" mode will take you to the inventory
> NEW Pressing # while in "item menu" mode will take you back to the
> inventory
>
> 2004-12-27 v.0.6.30
> NEW Load option on the game menu isn't shown if there is no save game

YEAH!

> 2004-12-26 v.0.6.29
> FIX Sometimes nothing was summoned on summon traps
> FIX Solved item drops that replaced item already on the ground

GOODY

> 2004-12-25 v.0.6.28
> CHANGE Prevented monster drops on top of stairs and in doorways
> NEW Added option to disarm traps when in look mode

CRAFAMBULOUS

> NEW Added option to close door when in look mode

TOPPING

Great will download and test soon, big thankyou!!!

--
ABCGi (geek) http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk S14 D15 C13 I17 W9 c12
GCS/IT$/L/B$ d+(-) s: a? C++ ULUSU-- P+ L+>++ E- W++$ N+ o+ K--

Björn Bergström wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's been almost two months since the last release of
> Dweller. Unfortunately I can't say that I've been working day and night
> for two months with a new and fantastic release of Dweller... Projects at
> work have required my 100% attention lately and there has been little time
> left for anything else. Still, I've managed to compile a new version of
> the game.
>
> The new release contains a graphics version of Dweller as well as some
> bugfixes and new features. The beautiful little 8x8 tiles contributed by
> Petr Visek are really amazing! Thanks Petr!
>
> Release notes and links:
>
> Generic MIDP1 versions
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jar
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jad
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerGfx.jar
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerGfx.jad
>
> Nokia fullscreen versions
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerNokia.jar
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerNokia.jad
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerNokiaGfx.jar
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerNokiaGfx.jad
>
> Release notes and Download page
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.txt
> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/index.wml

Graphics are cool but pretty small on fullscreen Nokia version.

I get a nullpointer exception picking up an object (not the first) after
a short while -> 4 games in a row.

--

ABCGi wrote:
> Björn Bergström wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> It's been almost two months since the last release of
>> Dweller. Unfortunately I can't say that I've been working day and night
>> for two months with a new and fantastic release of Dweller... Projects at
>> work have required my 100% attention lately and there has been little
>> time
>> left for anything else. Still, I've managed to compile a new version of
>> the game.
>>
>> The new release contains a graphics version of Dweller as well as some
>> bugfixes and new features. The beautiful little 8x8 tiles contributed by
>> Petr Visek are really amazing! Thanks Petr!
>>
>> Release notes and links:
>>
>> Generic MIDP1 versions
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jar
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.jad
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerGfx.jar
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerGfx.jad
>>
>> Nokia fullscreen versions
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerNokia.jar
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerNokia.jad
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerNokiaGfx.jar
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/DwellerNokiaGfx.jad
>>
>> Release notes and Download page
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/Dweller.txt
>> http://www.roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller/index.wml
>

> Graphics are cool but pretty small on fullscreen Nokia version.
>
> I get a nullpointer exception picking up an object (not the first) after
> a short while -> 4 games in a row.

This bug and a few others have been solved in a new release (0.7.1)
today. News:

2005-03-08 v.0.7.1
FIX Corrected newly introduced bug when picking up identical items
FIX Solved problem when deleting finished game upon application exit
FIX Entire screen is cleared. No more white stripes at the edges.
FIX Corrected graphical glitches in the new rendering system
FIX Corrected problem when targeting using magic items
FIX No message was sometimes given if unable to target creature
NEW Added Book of Charms and the possibility to charm monsters
NEW Added extra colouring in inventory

--

Björn Bergström wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> Björn Bergström wrote:
*SNIP*
>> Graphics are cool but pretty small on fullscreen Nokia version.
>>
>> I get a nullpointer exception picking up an object (not the first)
>> after a short while -> 4 games in a row.
>>

> This bug and a few others have been solved in a new release (0.7.1)
> today. News:
>
> 2005-03-08 v.0.7.1
> FIX Corrected newly introduced bug when picking up identical items
> FIX Solved problem when deleting finished game upon application exit
> FIX Entire screen is cleared. No more white stripes at the edges.
> FIX Corrected graphical glitches in the new rendering system
> FIX Corrected problem when targeting using magic items
> FIX No message was sometimes given if unable to target creature
> NEW Added Book of Charms and the possibility to charm monsters
> NEW Added extra colouring in inventory

Muchly appreciated!

--

ABCGi wrote:
> Björn Bergström wrote:
>
>> ABCGi wrote:
>>
>>> Björn Bergström wrote:
>
> *SNIP*
>
>>> Graphics are cool but pretty small on fullscreen Nokia version.
>>>
>>> I get a nullpointer exception picking up an object (not the first)
>>> after a short while -> 4 games in a row.
>>>

>> This bug and a few others have been solved in a new release (0.7.1)
>> today. News:
>>
>> 2005-03-08 v.0.7.1
>> FIX Corrected newly introduced bug when picking up identical items
>> FIX Solved problem when deleting finished game upon application exit
>> FIX Entire screen is cleared. No more white stripes at the edges.
>> FIX Corrected graphical glitches in the new rendering system
>> FIX Corrected problem when targeting using magic items
>> FIX No message was sometimes given if unable to target creature
>> NEW Added Book of Charms and the possibility to charm monsters
>> NEW Added extra colouring in inventory
>
> Muchly appreciated!

Both Nokia fullscreen graphic and ASCII install ok on my Nokia 6610 and
run. Could we rename the graphic one something like DwellerGfx so I can
test both on my phone at once?

TESTING GFX VERSION (0.7.1)
-------------------

x "Harmless mushroom of Healing" ???
x You are now level 2 should come at end of set of messages?
x Found wild dog on surface stuck and wouldn't move off its spot
5/6 0/0 2/6/4/10 - was standing on blank square
x The bat looks like an item! (feature :)
x Trees look like tufts of grass, but you can't see through them - confusing
x Nitpick - pressing asterix on inventory screen removes icon in bottom
left corner
x doorway looks like a hole - too much like an undiscovered square
x can scum up lots of arrows for Ranger by using new game constantly -
suggest ranger starts with set amount (30?)
x going through closed door, says doorway but graphic still shows door
x can still shoot yourself with bow and arrow
x steping on teleport trap does not reveal trap because the trap graphic
is not visible? Can still disarm by looking at square though.
x spike trap also not visible - feature or just trap graphic is blank?

+ pick up bug fixed
+ played a few times no problems
+ gameplay is challenging
+ response time is reasonably good
+ like the grid in the dungeon
+ little ranger and wizard are cute

* Add pray command, 1 full heal per game would be nice!
* Still no next target/prev target with # and * during targeting mode
* Ability to open and close doors?
* Allow item names to word wrap on examine screen so full title can be read?
* Ability to name the character something other than "Player" the Ranger!

I CAN SEE THINGS I CANT SHOOT
-----------------------------
This is existing "normal" behaviour but the product is mature enough now
that I wonder about this where I have LOS to the goblin below but I'm
not allowed to target?
..##.#
..@...
..##g#
Allow shot but penalty due to goblin only being partially visible round
corner?

SOME MAGIC ITEMS I FOUND
------------------------
Enchanted Magic Leather Armour -1D +1M not so enchanting!
Harmless Leather Cap -1D = 0/0/0/0 :)

--

ABCGi wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> Björn Bergström wrote:

>> *SNIP*

>>> This bug and a few others have been solved in a new release (0.7.1)
>>> today. News:
>>>
>>> 2005-03-08 v.0.7.1
>>> FIX Corrected newly introduced bug when picking up identical items
>>> FIX Solved problem when deleting finished game upon application exit
>>> FIX Entire screen is cleared. No more white stripes at the edges.
>>> FIX Corrected graphical glitches in the new rendering system
>>> FIX Corrected problem when targeting using magic items
>>> FIX No message was sometimes given if unable to target creature
>>> NEW Added Book of Charms and the possibility to charm monsters
>>> NEW Added extra colouring in inventory
>>

>> Muchly appreciated!
>

> Both Nokia fullscreen graphic and ASCII install ok on my Nokia 6610 and
> run. Could we rename the graphic one something like DwellerGfx so I can
> test both on my phone at once?
>
> TESTING GFX VERSION (0.7.1)
> -------------------
>
> x "Harmless mushroom of Healing" ???

Umm, yeah, item prefixes went a bit too far I think. :)

> x You are now level 2 should come at end of set of messages?

It will appear when it chronologically happens. After you issue an
action (say an attack that makes you gain a level) the AI will get it's
turn and possibly produce messages AFTER you gain the level.

> x Found wild dog on surface stuck and wouldn't move off its spot
> 5/6 0/0 2/6/4/10 - was standing on blank square
> x The bat looks like an item! (feature :)
> x Trees look like tufts of grass, but you can't see through them -
> confusing

Umm, yeah. Communication glitch between me and Petr who made the graphics.

> x Nitpick - pressing asterix on inventory screen removes icon in bottom
> left corner

It does? I'll have a look.

> x doorway looks like a hole - too much like an undiscovered square

I'll fix this for the next release

> x can scum up lots of arrows for Ranger by using new game constantly -
> suggest ranger starts with set amount (30?)

Agreed.

> x going through closed door, says doorway but graphic still shows door
> x can still shoot yourself with bow and arrow

Damn it. How hard can it be to fix this. I'll have a look again... :-/

> x steping on teleport trap does not reveal trap because the trap graphic
> is not visible? Can still disarm by looking at square though.
> x spike trap also not visible - feature or just trap graphic is blank?

I'll have a look

> + pick up bug fixed
> + played a few times no problems
> + gameplay is challenging
> + response time is reasonably good
> + like the grid in the dungeon
> + little ranger and wizard are cute
>
> * Add pray command, 1 full heal per game would be nice!

Yes, it is too hard to keep a reasonable hp level. Perhaps gain hp as a
bonus when descending stairs or going to a previously unvisited depth?

> * Still no next target/prev target with # and * during targeting mode

I know. I've been too lazy to fix this.

> * Ability to open and close doors?

Good point! Added to ideas.

> * Allow item names to word wrap on examine screen so full title can be
> read?

Good point. Added to ideas

> * Ability to name the character something other than "Player" the Ranger!

Added to suggestions

> I CAN SEE THINGS I CANT SHOOT
> -----------------------------
> This is existing "normal" behaviour but the product is mature enough now
> that I wonder about this where I have LOS to the goblin below but I'm
> not allowed to target?
> .##.#
> .@...
> .##g#
> Allow shot but penalty due to goblin only being partially visible round
> corner?

This problem is a result of using on algorithm for FOV and another for
LOS. I'll try to find a solution.

> SOME MAGIC ITEMS I FOUND
> ------------------------
> Enchanted Magic Leather Armour -1D +1M not so enchanting!
> Harmless Leather Cap -1D = 0/0/0/0 :)

Hmm, yeah. Prefixes in general need to be improved.

Unfortunately real life project keep me really busy. I've hade very
little time to work on Dweller this year :-(

--
Björn Bergström
roguelike development [http://roguelikedevelopment.org]
dweller - cellphone roguelike [http://roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller]

Antoine

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

> > Yes, it is too hard to keep a reasonable hp level. Perhaps gain hp
as a
> > bonus when descending stairs or going to a previously unvisited
depth?

> Hmmm not bad, you descend stairs and set up camp and regain full
health.
> Even though it feels not quite right it would work with gameplay.
> Perhaps "Your god bestows health upon thee for continuing your quest"

> would be more plausable.

I use this system for regaining mana in Guild. Each time you reach a
previously unvisited depth in a particular dungeon trip, you get about
20% of your mana back. I haven't put any message though - thought it'd
be easiest for the player to swallow if I didn't call attention to it.

Guild is just about ready for a major release, by the way. I'm doing a
playtest; got a list of about 8 things that need fixing; might get a
couple of friends to playtest it; then it's RGRA for me.

A.

Björn Bergström wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:

*SNIP*

>> Both Nokia fullscreen graphic and ASCII install ok on my Nokia 6610
>> and run. Could we rename the graphic one something like DwellerGfx so
>> I can test both on my phone at once?
>>
>> TESTING GFX VERSION (0.7.1)
>> -------------------
>>
>> x "Harmless mushroom of Healing" ???
>
> Umm, yeah, item prefixes went a bit too far I think. :)

Kinda funny though some of the other items I have found like Deadly gold
coins!

>> x You are now level 2 should come at end of set of messages?
>
> It will appear when it chronologically happens. After you issue an
> action (say an attack that makes you gain a level) the AI will get it's
> turn and possibly produce messages AFTER you gain the level.

Fair 'nuff.

>> x Found wild dog on surface stuck and wouldn't move off its spot
>> 5/6 0/0 2/6/4/10 - was standing on blank square
>> x The bat looks like an item! (feature :)
>> x Trees look like tufts of grass, but you can't see through them -
>> confusing
>
> Umm, yeah. Communication glitch between me and Petr who made the graphics.
>
>> x Nitpick - pressing asterix on inventory screen removes icon in
>> bottom left corner
>
> It does? I'll have a look.
>
>> x doorway looks like a hole - too much like an undiscovered square
>
> I'll fix this for the next release
>
>> x can scum up lots of arrows for Ranger by using new game constantly -
>> suggest ranger starts with set amount (30?)
>
> Agreed.
>
>> x going through closed door, says doorway but graphic still shows door
>> x can still shoot yourself with bow and arrow
>
> Damn it. How hard can it be to fix this. I'll have a look again... :-/
>
>> x steping on teleport trap does not reveal trap because the trap
>> graphic is not visible? Can still disarm by looking at square though.
>> x spike trap also not visible - feature or just trap graphic is blank?
>
> I'll have a look
>
>> + pick up bug fixed
>> + played a few times no problems
>> + gameplay is challenging
>> + response time is reasonably good
>> + like the grid in the dungeon
>> + little ranger and wizard are cute
>>
>> * Add pray command, 1 full heal per game would be nice!
>
> Yes, it is too hard to keep a reasonable hp level. Perhaps gain hp as a
> bonus when descending stairs or going to a previously unvisited depth?

Hmmm not bad, you descend stairs and set up camp and regain full health.
Even though it feels not quite right it would work with gameplay.
Perhaps "Your god bestows health upon thee for continuing your quest"
would be more plausable.

>> * Still no next target/prev target with # and * during targeting mode
>
> I know. I've been too lazy to fix this.
>
>> * Ability to open and close doors?
>
> Good point! Added to ideas.

Actually I noticed this is already there, you use '5' and look at a door
and click '5' on it to open/close it. But the whole door thing is a
little buggy...

>> * Allow item names to word wrap on examine screen so full title can be
>> read?
>
> Good point. Added to ideas
>
>> * Ability to name the character something other than "Player" the Ranger!
>
> Added to suggestions
>
>> I CAN SEE THINGS I CANT SHOOT
>> -----------------------------
>> This is existing "normal" behaviour but the product is mature enough
>> now that I wonder about this where I have LOS to the goblin below but
>> I'm not allowed to target?
>> .##.#
>> .@...
>> .##g#
>> Allow shot but penalty due to goblin only being partially visible
>> round corner?
>
> This problem is a result of using on algorithm for FOV and another for
> LOS. I'll try to find a solution.

It's not too bad... just when the user targets a visible monster that
fails the missile test say something like "not enough of the monster is
visible to target" - or - "the monster has too much cover to aim at".

>> SOME MAGIC ITEMS I FOUND
>> ------------------------
>> Enchanted Magic Leather Armour -1D +1M not so enchanting!
>> Harmless Leather Cap -1D = 0/0/0/0 :)
>
> Hmm, yeah. Prefixes in general need to be improved.

I was just mentioning this out of interest - I like it! The ambigiuity
of the word "Magic" is very apt (like those shows that say Magic is
dangerous).

> Unfortunately real life project keep me really busy. I've hade very
> little time to work on Dweller this year :-(

You've done great, thanks a lot, hope real life goes well! If not reboot
:) The game is now fully playable version 1.0 release canditate I think.

--

ABCGi wrote:
> Björn Bergström wrote:
>
>> ABCGi wrote:
>

> *SNIP*
>
>>> Both Nokia fullscreen graphic and ASCII install ok on my Nokia 6610
>>> and run. Could we rename the graphic one something like DwellerGfx so
>>> I can test both on my phone at once?
>>>
>>> TESTING GFX VERSION (0.7.1)
>>> -------------------
>>>
>>> x "Harmless mushroom of Healing" ???
>>

>> Umm, yeah, item prefixes went a bit too far I think. :)
>

> Kinda funny though some of the other items I have found like Deadly gold
> coins!

I will fix this for the next version.
[snip]

>> Yes, it is too hard to keep a reasonable hp level. Perhaps gain hp as
>> a bonus when descending stairs or going to a previously unvisited depth?
>

> Hmmm not bad, you descend stairs and set up camp and regain full health.
> Even though it feels not quite right it would work with gameplay.
> Perhaps "Your god bestows health upon thee for continuing your quest"
> would be more plausable.

I'll add this for the next release. The player will regain a random
amount of HP and MP based on map depth.

>>> * Still no next target/prev target with # and * during targeting mode
>>

>> I know. I've been too lazy to fix this.
>>
>>> * Ability to open and close doors?
>>

>> Good point! Added to ideas.
>

> Actually I noticed this is already there, you use '5' and look at a door
> and click '5' on it to open/close it. But the whole door thing is a
> little buggy...

Oh, yes, you're right... :) I forget what things that I've implemented.

>>> * Allow item names to word wrap on examine screen so full title can
>>> be read?
>>

>> Good point. Added to ideas
>>
>>> * Ability to name the character something other than "Player" the
>>> Ranger!
>>
>> Added to suggestions

I've added fixed names for now. I'll implement a small random name
generator later.

>>> I CAN SEE THINGS I CANT SHOOT
>>> -----------------------------
>>> This is existing "normal" behaviour but the product is mature enough
>>> now that I wonder about this where I have LOS to the goblin below but
>>> I'm not allowed to target?
>>> .##.#
>>> .@...
>>> .##g#
>>> Allow shot but penalty due to goblin only being partially visible
>>> round corner?
>>

>> This problem is a result of using on algorithm for FOV and another for
>> LOS. I'll try to find a solution.
>

> It's not too bad... just when the user targets a visible monster that
> fails the missile test say something like "not enough of the monster is
> visible to target" - or - "the monster has too much cover to aim at".

I just need to find a way to determin this. I keep no data from the FOV
calculation, I just render the results to the screen immediately. I can
probably do some smart assumptions if the LOS check reaches within 1
square of the selected target and there are cells that doesn't block LOS
adjacent to the target. Or something like that at least...

>>> SOME MAGIC ITEMS I FOUND
>>> ------------------------
>>> Enchanted Magic Leather Armour -1D +1M not so enchanting!
>>> Harmless Leather Cap -1D = 0/0/0/0 :)
>>

>> Hmm, yeah. Prefixes in general need to be improved.
>

> I was just mentioning this out of interest - I like it! The ambigiuity
> of the word "Magic" is very apt (like those shows that say Magic is
> dangerous).
>
>> Unfortunately real life project keep me really busy. I've hade very
>> little time to work on Dweller this year :-(
>

> You've done great, thanks a lot, hope real life goes well! If not reboot

I really enjoy my real life work but unfortunately it has left me with
very little spare time lately. (and I've started playing WoW too)

> :) The game is now fully playable version 1.0 release canditate I think.

I'd like to improve character development a bit more before releasing
1.0. Character skills and a better magic system is on my wish list.

BR,

Björn Bergström wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>> Björn Bergström wrote:
>>> ABCGi wrote:
>>
>> *SNIP*

>>> Umm, yeah, item prefixes went a bit too far I think. :)
>>
>> Kinda funny though some of the other items I have found like Deadly
>> gold coins!
>
> I will fix this for the next version.
> [snip]

Cool.

>>> Yes, it is too hard to keep a reasonable hp level. Perhaps gain hp as
>>> a bonus when descending stairs or going to a previously unvisited depth?
>>
>> Hmmm not bad, you descend stairs and set up camp and regain full
>> health. Even though it feels not quite right it would work with
>> gameplay. Perhaps "Your god bestows health upon thee for continuing
>> your quest" would be more plausable.
>
> I'll add this for the next release. The player will regain a random
> amount of HP and MP based on map depth.

Not bad.

>>> I know. I've been too lazy to fix this.

>>> Good point! Added to ideas.
>>
>> Actually I noticed this is already there, you use '5' and look at a
>> door and click '5' on it to open/close it. But the whole door thing is
>> a little buggy...
>
> Oh, yes, you're right... :) I forget what things that I've implemented.

Yeah there is a lot in there now - it's great.

>>> Good point. Added to ideas

>>> Added to suggestions
>
> I've added fixed names for now. I'll implement a small random name
> generator later.

Even hard coding Legolas the Ranger, Thor the Warrior and Merlin the
Wizard would be better than "Player" :)

>>> This problem is a result of using on algorithm for FOV and another
>>> for LOS. I'll try to find a solution.
>>
>> It's not too bad... just when the user targets a visible monster that
>> fails the missile test say something like "not enough of the monster
>> is visible to target" - or - "the monster has too much cover to aim at".
>
> I just need to find a way to determin this. I keep no data from the FOV
> calculation, I just render the results to the screen immediately. I can
> probably do some smart assumptions if the LOS check reaches within 1
> square of the selected target and there are cells that doesn't block LOS
> adjacent to the target. Or something like that at least...

Oh I thought it would be easier than that - in that case I would leave,
it's not much benefit for such a complex change, besides you pretty
quickly come to the conclusion that "oh I can't shoot it because its
hiding round the corner, but I can still see it is there".

>>> Hmm, yeah. Prefixes in general need to be improved.
>>
>> I was just mentioning this out of interest - I like it! The ambigiuity
>> of the word "Magic" is very apt (like those shows that say Magic is
>> dangerous).
>>
>>> Unfortunately real life project keep me really busy. I've hade very
>>> little time to work on Dweller this year :-(
>>
>> You've done great, thanks a lot, hope real life goes well! If not reboot
>
> I really enjoy my real life work but unfortunately it has left me with
> very little spare time lately. (and I've started playing WoW too)

Oh no WoW is a time killer! DAMN YOU BLIZZARD!

>> :) The game is now fully playable version 1.0 release canditate I think.
>
> I'd like to improve character development a bit more before releasing
> 1.0. Character skills and a better magic system is on my wish list.

That would be sweet as... you need to fix the following bug too;

That save game bug is still there. After quite a few saves down a few
levels I got to the point where it was not saving my current game and
always reloads the same save game. The only way out is to let the
character die and start again, or play without saving. That's a pretty
important one to fix I think.

Previously I sent how you can easily repeat the bug...

> BR,
> Björn Bergström
> roguelike development [http://roguelikedevelopment.org]
> dweller - cellphone roguelike [http://roguelikedevelopment.org/dweller]

--
ABCGi ---- (abcgi@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk

"Good ideas make good things better.
Great ideas make better things simple." - Ray 'Bear' Dillinger

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

....<snip>...

> >> Hmmm not bad, you descend stairs and set up camp and regain full
> >> health. Even though it feels not quite right it would work with
> >> gameplay. Perhaps "Your god bestows health upon thee for
continuing
> >> your quest" would be more plausable.
> >
> > I'll add this for the next release. The player will regain a random

> > amount of HP and MP based on map depth.
>
> Not bad.
....<snip>...

The hitpoint issue is a tricky one. Early in the game it is too
tempting to 'stair-scum' between levels 1&2 and just *keep* collecting
mushrooms of healing on lev1 with relative safety. This can be
time-consuming, but allows the player to build up a huge stack of
healing with very little risk. This does not feel quite right in terms
of character development or gameplay. Given that those mushrooms only
restore 1hp each, it effectively means that hiding away and eating them
until HP is fully restored brings us closer to the REST-AND-RESTORE
healing seen in other RL's.

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

> True. A simple solution might be to limit the number of mushrooms the
PC
> can carry. This would mean those with the patience can return to the
> surface for more, but the deeper you go the less this becomes
> attractive. Balanced right this actually extends the gameplay as the
> player visits and plays through more levels without being boring.
>
> Going too far the other way though makes the game very hard unless
one
> gets lucky finding healing in the dungeon.

This is a good idea. I feel there is a more fundamental problem with HP
in Dweller. The game is quite playable (at shallow levels) as it is
using the mushroom-gathering technique. Without some kind of
auto-regeneration at deeper levels, the game could become VERY
difficult, as returning to lev1 simply to regain a few hp's could prove
either too-time-consuming or even fatal. Obviously, there are random
healing items dotted around levels other than lev1, but they seem TOO
RARE to allow aggressive play or quick-diving. The concept of the brave
adventurer resting after the battle to regain strength (auto-regen) is
nice, and allows both cautious and aggressive tatics to be used. I
realise that this type of change FUNDAMENTALLY changes the game and
unbalances everything - i guess it's just what i'm familiar with. Will
need to play some more to see if there is a style of play that fits the
current hp model.

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Fair point - you obviously have more experience of this game than i..
Auto-regen is probably too big a change, and i wasn't suggesting it be
implemented, simply that the current hp system is both DIFFERENT &
HARD, esp for the newbie or convertee like myself :eek:)

I guess that in Angband (my usual RL), HP is not something that needs
MANAGED, and in Dweller it is. Given that in Dweller don't have to
manage Consitution, Strength, Intelligence, Wisdom, resists to
acid/nexus ETCETCETC (as i do in Ang), having to manage hp should not
scare me off.... it's just different and that is good.

I have a few other things to say about Dweller, but will prob start a
new thread once i have thought them through...

neil@ramsay.name wrote:
>>True. A simple solution might be to limit the number of mushrooms the
>>PC can carry. This would mean those with the patience can return to the
>>surface for more, but the deeper you go the less this becomes
>>attractive. Balanced right this actually extends the gameplay as the
>>player visits and plays through more levels without being boring.
>>
>>Going too far the other way though makes the game very hard unless
>>one gets lucky finding healing in the dungeon.
>
> This is a good idea. I feel there is a more fundamental problem with HP
> in Dweller. The game is quite playable (at shallow levels) as it is
> using the mushroom-gathering technique. Without some kind of
> auto-regeneration at deeper levels, the game could become VERY
> difficult, as returning to lev1 simply to regain a few hp's could prove
> either too-time-consuming or even fatal. Obviously, there are random
> healing items dotted around levels other than lev1, but they seem TOO
> RARE to allow aggressive play or quick-diving. The concept of the brave
> adventurer resting after the battle to regain strength (auto-regen) is
> nice, and allows both cautious and aggressive tatics to be used. I
> realise that this type of change FUNDAMENTALLY changes the game and
> unbalances everything - i guess it's just what i'm familiar with. Will
> need to play some more to see if there is a style of play that fits the
> current hp model.

No I would not add auto-regen, it is one of the things that makes
Dweller a unique experience. But I understand what you mean. Having
beaten the game myself I can tell you that IMO it's a matter of game
balance by Bjorn. In the version that I beat the PC becomes good enough
to survive the lower levels at the right time, when combined with good
play style. After all RLs are meant to be tough, but not impossible.

Bjorn has fixed a number of exploits which has made the game more
challenging and it means the gameplay will keep needing tweaking. I have
not been able to get very far due to the current load/save bug combined
with not having enough time for a big single session (and then needing
to use my phone!) to see where the balance is at now. But it has swayed
back and forth through versions. I'm guessing as it gets closer to ver
1.0 some serious tweaking will go on.

However it was very refreshing to play without auto regen, and to have
to pause and search for healing whilst running away from threats
(something that does not happen enough in normal RLs). As you say the
game resists quick dives which I think makes for a more intelligent and
'different' game. Remember that if you stand still and press '5' your
mana auto-regens, so you get a maximum taste of that play the Wizard!

Having said that this sub-topic was started by an idea to give more HPs
to the PC on entering new depths, so clearly HPs are an issue - I just
hope its not solved by auto-regen :)

--

neil@ramsay.name wrote:
> Fair point - you obviously have more experience of this game than i..
> Auto-regen is probably too big a change, and i wasn't suggesting it be
> implemented, simply that the current hp system is both DIFFERENT &
> HARD, esp for the newbie or convertee like myself :eek:)

True, but at least as you said earlier, the mushrooms make the initial
depths much easier. Although I find the wilderness more challenging than
depth 1 and lose some starting characters before finding the stairs (as
it should be!). 50% of RL PC's should not live past the first 10
minutes/level!!! muwhahaha

However you are also right to point out the HP system isn't quite there yet.

> I guess that in Angband (my usual RL), HP is not something that needs
> MANAGED, and in Dweller it is. Given that in Dweller don't have to
> manage Consitution, Strength, Intelligence, Wisdom, resists to
> acid/nexus ETCETCETC (as i do in Ang), having to manage hp should not
> scare me off.... it's just different and that is good.

Angband is probably the most hack'n'slash diabloesque stat-munchkin of
the popular RLs

> I have a few other things to say about Dweller, but will prob start a
> new thread once i have thought them through...

Bjorn will like that I think, probably sick of all my one sided feedback!

--

Björn Bergström wrote:
> It's been almost two months since the last release of
> Dweller.

Well i hope its not too late for feedback - just upgraded to DwellerGfx
0.7.1 after finding this thread while googling.

I really love the grapics. On my CV65 i got only 16x9 map chars in text
mode while i get 16x14 tiles in graphics mode. I have to agree with
ABCGi that the graphics ARE a bit small, but the increased field of
view is worth it IMHO.

Didn't test it much yet, but a thing i (still) noticed in the new
version: Some of the texts displayed in the top line
("Kill the Goblin king",
"The Jackal misses you
The Rat misses you",
"You are standing on 1
Arrow"
) are only displayed for a split of a second, then cleared, which
makes them hard to read.

Other, similar texts (even without a <more>) stay on screen
("The Wild dog misses you
The Jackal misses you",
"The Goblin Archer
fumbles")

Also, i think you could reduce monster generation rates a bit.
In the wilderness, i just get swarmed to death in most cases, and
i think "run and pray to find the stairs, then run and pray to find
a corridor before you get swarmed" is a bit too much praying :)
Or you could offer a difficulty setting for that.

On the point of HP management, i'd suggest at least restoring
to full HP and SP each time you make an (character) level.

Still, Dweller is definitely the best phone game i've seen
yet :)

> Unfortunately I can't say that I've been working day and night
> for two months with a new and fantastic release of Dweller...
> Projects at work have required my 100% attention lately and there
> has been little time left for anything else.

I couldn't find the sources for dweller on your site... you
could consider opening up the development if you run low on time.
Some people (including me) could be interesting in enhancing it
or writing variants.

Andreas