Sign in with
Your question

Can you use USB devices on a new build before installing windows?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
August 25, 2012 2:28:44 AM

Ok, so here's how this goes. I plan on making my first computer, and because I'm tight on money ATM, I will be using old parts until I can get replacement new ones. Because of this, I'm going to be using a 2004 DiamondMax Plus 9 80gb HDD and a USB DVD Writer/reader instead of a new HDD and a new optical drive. (I will at a later date, but for now, this is fine for me)

Now, here's the problem. The HDD has been used and needs to be formatted. The only way I can think of doing this without having to buy anything more is to burn a dban image to a dvd and boot that up to format the HDD. Now, the problem with THAT is that I'm using a USB DVD writer/reader.

The question I want to ask is the following. (and trust me when I say I've searched heavily for this)
Can you use USB devices before windows is installed?

I assume not because drivers are usually installed on the HDD, so without a HDD, I can't use the devices.

The again, you can install windows from a thumb drive on a new build, right? Using that logic, you should be able to use a USB Reader/writer.

So, yeah, I'm torn between these 2 logics. Any help would be appreciated.

If this is in the wrong section, I apologize. It has to do with new builds, Windows, and peripherals so I just chose peripherals.
August 25, 2012 5:22:03 AM

You may as well close this seeing as how I've found out the motherboard Im getting doesn't even work with the HDD I have
m
l
Related resources
!