Can you use USB devices on a new build before installing windows?

Ok, so here's how this goes. I plan on making my first computer, and because I'm tight on money ATM, I will be using old parts until I can get replacement new ones. Because of this, I'm going to be using a 2004 DiamondMax Plus 9 80gb HDD and a USB DVD Writer/reader instead of a new HDD and a new optical drive. (I will at a later date, but for now, this is fine for me)

Now, here's the problem. The HDD has been used and needs to be formatted. The only way I can think of doing this without having to buy anything more is to burn a dban image to a dvd and boot that up to format the HDD. Now, the problem with THAT is that I'm using a USB DVD writer/reader.

The question I want to ask is the following. (and trust me when I say I've searched heavily for this)
Can you use USB devices before windows is installed?

I assume not because drivers are usually installed on the HDD, so without a HDD, I can't use the devices.

The again, you can install windows from a thumb drive on a new build, right? Using that logic, you should be able to use a USB Reader/writer.

So, yeah, I'm torn between these 2 logics. Any help would be appreciated.

If this is in the wrong section, I apologize. It has to do with new builds, Windows, and peripherals so I just chose peripherals.
1 answer Last reply
More about devices build installing windows
  1. You may as well close this seeing as how I've found out the motherboard Im getting doesn't even work with the HDD I have
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives USB Peripherals