YACD

Last response: in Video Games
March 7, 2005 7:54:54 PM

My second win, although the first one I've posted. I actually had a
relatively easy time with this one, although I had a few close calls.
Used combat shotgun early game, and kept it as a backup after getting
my early game chaingun (thank you arena!). Dropped shotgun eventually,
to make room for rockets and lots of power cells. Had a huge mass of
cells, maybe 8 full stacks in my inventory, in anticipation of a plasma
rifle. Was fairly dissapointed when I got one though, as it drained
ammo way too fast to make it worthwhile. Ended up going back to
chaingun, where ammo was plentiful. Got to the CyberDemon, and BFG'd
him down to almost dead, then decided to finish him with the chainsaw.
VRROOOOOMMM!!! After switching to coward, some fancy strafing, and a
bit of luck, I got into melee with him and finished him in two
bone-crunching swipes. Hurrah!

I'd really like to see some new weapons, and maybe a change to the
plasma rifle, which I find to be nearly worthless. It only deals a
little more than a chaingun, but it chews up ammo fast as hell. Maybe
have it do half the shots per volley, but double damage? That'd make
it really useful. Also, the game gets kinda easy midgame, so there
should be a difficulty setting option at the beginning, like in real
Doom. Almost all of my deaths occur in the first 3 levels. Every
character that's made it past the 5th floor or so win.

DoomRL (v.0.9.7 (DOS)) roguelike post-mortem character dump

Nikolai, level 7 soldier, defeated the Cyberdeamon
on level 20 of the Phobos base.
He survived 103509 turns and scored 34262 points.
He found the Phobos Arena.
He stormed the Chained Court.
He ventured into the Halls of Carnage.
He found the Hell's Armory.
He fought on Hell's Arena.
He witnessed the City of Skulls.
He faced The Wall.

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health 24/50 Experience 27972/7
ToHit +0 ToDmg Ranged +0 ToDmg Melee +0

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Finesse (Level 2)
Hellrunner (Level 1)
Tough as nails (Level 3)
Cateye (Level 1)

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor ] red armor [1/4] (23%)
[ Weapon ] chainsaw (4d6)
[c] [ Boots ] plasteel boots [8/8] (94%)

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] advanced rocket launcher (4d5) [1/1]
chaingun (1d6)x5 [50/50]
[c] BFG 9000 (8d8) [100/100]
[d] 10mm ammo (x56)
[e] 10mm ammo (x100)
[f] 10mm ammo (x100)
rocket (x10)
[h] rocket (x2)
power cell (x40)
[j] power cell (x50)
[k] power cell (x50)
[l] power cell (x50)
[m] large med-pack
[n] large med-pack
[o] phase device

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

47 former humans
37 former human sergeants
18 former human captains
31 imps
34 demons
79 lost souls
25 cacodemons
18 barons of hell
1 Cyberdemon
20 hell knights
6 arachnotrons
5 former human commanders

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

Before him 17 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:

More about : yacd

Anonymous
March 7, 2005 11:23:02 PM

I assume the large number of lost soul kills come from the City of
Skulls? That and the Spider's Lair are two levels I've never seen. I've
faced The Wall plenty of times, though, mostly without a RL. :)
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 5:46:05 AM

Uzytkownik wrote:
> the CyberDemon, and BFG'd him down to almost dead, then decided to
> finish him with the chainsaw. VRROOOOOMMM!!! After switching to
> coward, some fancy strafing, and a bit of luck, I got into melee with
> him and finished him in two bone-crunching swipes. Hurrah!

WOW ;-) That's nice :-D

> I'd really like to see some new weapons,

I dunno. The current weapons are quite balanced. I would hate to break that
balance. What would you like to see?

> and maybe a change to the
> plasma rifle, which I find to be nearly worthless.

Well some people disagree... it's realy cool with the SOB trait.

> it really useful. Also, the game gets kinda easy midgame, so there
> should be a difficulty setting option at the beginning, like in real
> Doom.

There will be.

> DoomRL (v.0.9.7 (DOS)) roguelike post-mortem character dump

Why are you playing the DOS version? Just curious.
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)

> Why are you playing the DOS version? Just curious.

Because the linux port isn't out yet. And I usually find that Windows
versions of most RLs end up not allowing fullscreen mode.
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 4:46:11 AM

Uzytkownik wrote:
>> Why are you playing the DOS version? Just curious.
>
> Because the linux port isn't out yet.

Ah, a Linux user :-D. Actually (how ironical) the DOS version was targeted
at Linux users in the first place. Thanks for sacrificing yourself to fight
with the DOSBox, I promise I'll resume work on the Linux port ASAP.

> And I usually find that Windows
> versions of most RLs end up not allowing fullscreen mode.

On Windows the FreePascal ones do allow.
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)
"Oh come on. We both know the truth about this game -- vapourware." --
Anathiel about GenRogue
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 10:22:10 AM

> Ah, a Linux user :-D. Actually (how ironical) the DOS version was
targeted
> at Linux users in the first place. Thanks for sacrificing yourself to
fight
> with the DOSBox, I promise I'll resume work on the Linux port ASAP.

Hurray!

>> And I usually find that Windows
>> versions of most RLs end up not allowing fullscreen mode.

> On Windows the FreePascal ones do allow.

Oh, I didn't know. I'm just used to games like adom, where the windows
version locks the screen size, but the DOS and linux ones don't.

Anyways, hope to see a linux port up soon, because it's a shame for
such a great game to go unrepresented on the best platform known to
man. Good luck with the porting work!
!