Sign in with
Your question

[Help] Increase fan speed for laptop cooler

Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
January 9, 2011 8:36:34 PM

Hey guys i just made a laptop cooler with 6 80mm fans, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168..., good ratings good RPMs. I connected it all to a 12v ac/dc adapter, with a switch and everything, turns on and runs fine. The only problem is that it runs really slow, i even tested individual ones through the AC/DC adapter and USB. it feels like not getting any air blown, its really quiet, and feels like its not even rotating at maximum speed. Any way to increase the power of these fans? Spent a lot of time on my homemade laptop cooler and feels like i would of been better off with a real one.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 9, 2011 8:59:02 PM

Check the total power consumption of the fans against the rating of the power adapter you mention. The power consumption of one fan may be expressed in milliamps on the label.
m
l
January 9, 2011 9:05:46 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, on the fan it says 12v 0.15A and my AC/DC adapter says

INPUT: 120V-60Hz
Output: 6v-2000mA 12Va
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 9, 2011 9:11:10 PM

Simple -- the fans want 12 volts and you're only giving them 6 volts.
m
l
January 9, 2011 9:35:37 PM

OH okay ahaha thank you, i thought it was a 12v adapter, my mistake, I am going to find one and re wire it, ill let you know how it goes.
m
l
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
January 9, 2011 9:38:42 PM

Yeah, 12Va is the same as 12watts -- that figure is arrived at my multiplying the Voltage (6) by the Amperage (2).

m
l
January 9, 2011 9:41:00 PM

Update: Thanks that was the problem its spinning twice as fast and i can feel the nice cool breeze!
m
l
August 20, 2012 7:37:08 AM

Quote:
Check the total power consumption of the fans against the rating of the power adapter you mention. The power consumption of one fan may be expressed in milliamps on the label.

Hi, I liked your precise answer to the person's query. I am using a single fan cooling pad purchased from the market but I feel it is running at a slow speed and my laptop heats up (does not shuts down but) considerably after using for long hours. Please advice how I may increase the speed of this fan. It draws power from USB port.
m
l
!