Completed Roguelike: You Only Live Once

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.announce,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

I am pleased to announce the completion of a new roguelike: "You Only
Live Once"

Prebuilt binaries are provided for Linux and Windows. Source is
provided for those on other platforms.

You may download You Only Live Once at:
http://www.zincland.com/7drl/liveonce

The key features of You Only Live Once are:
* Deterministic Combat. You always hit and always do maximum damage.
Tactical maneuvering is thus very important.
* Developing Plot. The action takes place within a cohesive world in
which your actions have consequences.
* Small Playtime Commitment. You can likely win the game in your first
try. Fully playing all the possibilities likely takes only a few
hours.
* It is a Seven Day Roguelike, having been largely written within a 168
hour time frame.

I hope you try it and enjoy it!
--
Jeff Lait
More about completed roguelike live once

    Falk W. wrote:
    > Jeff Lait wrote:
    >
    > > I hope you try it and enjoy it!
    >
    > Well, I just tried it. Or at least I tried to try it, but numpad
    > movement doesn't work on Windows. And I can't stand vi keys. Oh and
    the
    > normal number keys do work for movement, but their layout is just as
    bad
    > as the vi keys. Oh and numlock has no effect on this.

    Thanks for giving it a shot. I'm sorry that the numpad didn't work.
    For vi-haters, note that the cursor keys should work, so you could play
    an orthogonal-only challenge game. You Only Live Once is easy enough
    that it isn't that unreasonable :>

    The best laid plans of mice and men... I don't actually have a
    keyboard with a number pad, so never had the chance to test it. I had
    naively assumed that SDL would give me the normal numbers as unicode
    output, so tested that the normal numbers worked. It seems SDL doesn't
    cook the number pad to unicode, however.

    I'll update the webpage to warn people about this now-known bug.
    --
    Jeff Lait
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Jeff Lait wrote:

    > I hope you try it and enjoy it!

    Well, I just tried it. Or at least I tried to try it, but numpad
    movement doesn't work on Windows. And I can't stand vi keys. Oh and the
    normal number keys do work for movement, but their layout is just as bad
    as the vi keys. Oh and numlock has no effect on this.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Jeff Lait wrote:

    > Thanks for giving it a shot. I'm sorry that the numpad didn't work.
    > For vi-haters, note that the cursor keys should work, so you could play
    > an orthogonal-only challenge game. You Only Live Once is easy enough
    > that it isn't that unreasonable :>

    I noticed that after fighting with the vi keys for a while. So actually
    I could enjoy the game. I like the combat and the overall idea is pretty
    interesting, too. The only real loser in this was my numpad, which was
    all sad that I didn't use it. ;)
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:05:49 +0100, "Falk W." <CCDSoftware@web.de> tried
    to confuse everyone with this message:

    >Jeff Lait wrote:
    >
    >> I hope you try it and enjoy it!
    >
    >Well, I just tried it. Or at least I tried to try it, but numpad
    >movement doesn't work on Windows. And I can't stand vi keys. Oh and the
    >normal number keys do work for movement, but their layout is just as bad
    >as the vi keys. Oh and numlock has no effect on this.

    Numpad works for me with NumLock off. It's probably an another XP bug,
    because I use good old Win'98.

    --
    |a\o/r|,-------------.,---------- Timofei Shatrov aka Grue ------------.
    | m"a ||FC AMKAR PERM|| mail: grue at mail.ru http://grue3.tripod.com |
    | k || PWNZ J00 || Kingdom of Loathing: Grue3 lvl 18 Seal Clubber |
    `-----'`-------------'`-------------------------------------------[4*72]
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Dnia 12 Mar 2005 04:11:49 -0800,
    Jeff Lait napisal(a):

    > Falk W. wrote:
    >> Jeff Lait wrote:

    Just subscibed this group specially to talk about this game ;)
    Hello everyone.
    <snip>

    > The best laid plans of mice and men... I don't actually have a
    > keyboard with a number pad, so never had the chance to test it. I had
    > naively assumed that SDL would give me the normal numbers as unicode
    > output, so tested that the normal numbers worked. It seems SDL doesn't
    > cook the number pad to unicode, however.

    No, it cooks it to something like '[1]', '[2]', etc.

    --
    Radomir @**@_ Bee! .**._ .**._ .**._ .**._ zZ
    `The Sheep' ('') 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (--) 3

    Glen Wheeler wrote:
    > "Jeff Lait" <torespondisfutile@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I am pleased to announce the completion of a new roguelike: "You
    Only
    > > Live Once"
    >
    > ...and so you should be! This game is a definite gem. Very well
    done.
    > For 168 hours, it exudes polish. I enjoyed it immensely.

    Thank you! My goal was a game that felt complete rather than one that
    felt like I just stopped when the clock hit 7 days :>

    > > Prebuilt binaries are provided for Linux and Windows. Source is
    > > provided for those on other platforms.
    > >
    > > You may download You Only Live Once at:
    > > http://www.zincland.com/7drl/liveonce
    > >
    > > The key features of You Only Live Once are:
    > > * Deterministic Combat. You always hit and always do maximum
    damage.
    > > Tactical maneuvering is thus very important.
    >
    > This is very fun. I also enjoyed the simplified combat system;
    these two
    > things work in tandem marvellously.

    I'm looking forward to using this as a debate point when people get
    carried away with insanely complicated combat resolution mechanisms.

    > > * Developing Plot. The action takes place within a cohesive world
    in
    > > which your actions have consequences.
    >
    > You bet! The adaptive plot was fun, and made me finish it twice.
    >
    > > * Small Playtime Commitment. You can likely win the game in your
    first
    > > try. Fully playing all the possibilities likely takes only a few
    > > hours.
    >
    > I've only played two. Definitely a plus for me, this is the reason
    I had
    > a go at it tonight (as opposed to in a weeks time over a Sunday
    afternoon).

    I think game developers are too caught up in the 40 hour playtime meme.
    If I can enjoy a movie which I only see once and only takes two hours,
    why not enjoy a game in the same time frame?

    > > * It is a Seven Day Roguelike, having been largely written within a
    168
    > > hour time frame.
    > >
    > > I hope you try it and enjoy it!
    >
    > Only one gripe; learning the hjklyubn keys did take a while. The
    '5' as
    > wait key isn't documented (I think); what is wait for roguelike/vi
    keys?

    Wait in roguelike/vi keys is '.'. That's my nethack heritage showing
    again :> Nope, 5 isn't documented. I realized I also never documented
    > or <. Good thing most players instinctively use that from other
    games :>

    > Thanks again for the few hours of fun :).

    You're welcome! I had fun writing it, so all this extra fun generated
    is just bonus.
    --
    Jeff Lait
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    "Jeff Lait" <torespondisfutile@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I am pleased to announce the completion of a new roguelike: "You Only
    > Live Once"

    ...and so you should be! This game is a definite gem. Very well done.
    For 168 hours, it exudes polish. I enjoyed it immensely.

    > Prebuilt binaries are provided for Linux and Windows. Source is
    > provided for those on other platforms.
    >
    > You may download You Only Live Once at:
    > http://www.zincland.com/7drl/liveonce
    >
    > The key features of You Only Live Once are:
    > * Deterministic Combat. You always hit and always do maximum damage.
    > Tactical maneuvering is thus very important.

    This is very fun. I also enjoyed the simplified combat system; these two
    things work in tandem marvellously.

    > * Developing Plot. The action takes place within a cohesive world in
    > which your actions have consequences.

    You bet! The adaptive plot was fun, and made me finish it twice.

    > * Small Playtime Commitment. You can likely win the game in your first
    > try. Fully playing all the possibilities likely takes only a few
    > hours.

    I've only played two. Definitely a plus for me, this is the reason I had
    a go at it tonight (as opposed to in a weeks time over a Sunday afternoon).

    > * It is a Seven Day Roguelike, having been largely written within a 168
    > hour time frame.
    >
    > I hope you try it and enjoy it!

    Only one gripe; learning the hjklyubn keys did take a while. The '5' as
    wait key isn't documented (I think); what is wait for roguelike/vi keys?

    Thanks again for the few hours of fun :).

    --
    Glen
    L:Pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    I've played to the point where you take control of the elder, but I'm
    stuck. Kor is sitting on top of the cave entrence, and he won't move
    aside. Help?
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Mithel wrote:
    > I've played to the point where you take control of the elder, but I'm
    > stuck. Kor is sitting on top of the cave entrence, and he won't move
    > aside. Help?

    I'm sorry, but that's a known bug. The only solution now is to delete
    your save game (valley.sav) and continue. To avoid this in the future,
    do not escape the dungeon with the Smith

    If you are up to recompiling the system, you can change Kor Smith's
    "AI_NONE" to "AI_HOME" and the problem will be fixed when you next
    load.

    Between this and the number pad, I think I'll have to put out a bug fix
    release after all...
    --
    Jeff Lait
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Dnia Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:01:50 -0500,
    Mithel napisal(a):

    > I've played to the point where you take control of the elder, but I'm
    > stuck. Kor is sitting on top of the cave entrence, and he won't move
    > aside. Help?

    Same here, seems to be a bug?

    --
    Radomir @**@_ Bee! .**._ .**._ .**._ .**._ zZ
    `The Sheep' ('') 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (--) 3
    Dopieralski .vvVvVVVVVvVVVvVVVvVvVVvVvvVvVVVVVVvvVVvvVvvvvVVvVVvv.v.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Jonathan Beverley wrote:
    > In article <varb311v5oa181gb5tgk1mu07j0csca8qk@4ax.com>, Mithel
    wrote:
    > > I've played to the point where you take control of the elder, but
    I'm
    > > stuck. Kor is sitting on top of the cave entrence, and he won't
    move
    > > aside. Help?
    >
    > Am I missing something? I played through to the end of the game, but
    > never got control of the Elder.
    >
    > (in fact I only got control of three of the characters...)

    Yes, you are missing something. First, while you cannot escape the
    dungeon when you first enter it, you can escape it if you complete your
    character's goal, even if Tlosh is still about (ie, the game is not won
    yet)

    Second, You Only Live Once is one of the few games in which you unlock
    more content by playing *poorly* than by playing well.

    Good luck.
    --
    Jeff Lait
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    In article <varb311v5oa181gb5tgk1mu07j0csca8qk@4ax.com>, Mithel wrote:
    > I've played to the point where you take control of the elder, but I'm
    > stuck. Kor is sitting on top of the cave entrence, and he won't move
    > aside. Help?

    Am I missing something? I played through to the end of the game, but
    never got control of the Elder.

    (in fact I only got control of three of the characters...)

    -Jonathan
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Jonathan Beverley wrote:
    > In article <1110928667.909099.280840@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
    Jeff
    > Lait wrote:
    > > Jonathan Beverley wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Am I missing something? I played through to the end of the game,
    but
    > >> never got control of the Elder.
    > >>
    > >> (in fact I only got control of three of the characters...)
    > >
    > > Yes, you are missing something. First, while you cannot escape the
    > > dungeon when you first enter it, you can escape it if you complete
    your
    > > character's goal, even if Tlosh is still about (ie, the game is not
    won
    > > yet)
    >
    > Yeah, I noticed that, my second got out. At a guess, Tlosh was
    guarding
    > my third objective. Certainly I tried to leave after he spieled at
    me,
    > but no, I had to stay. One brief fight to the death later...
    >
    > (btw(rot13), xabpxonpx vf oehgny Gybfu arire tbg n uvg ba zr, nf ybat
    > nf V bayl nggnpxrq uvz va zryrr...)

    Gung'f abg xabpxonpx. Gybfu, naq nyy enatrq nggnpxref, ner pbjneqf fb
    syrr zryrr jura gurl pna. Ubjrire, gurl qba'g nyjnlf syrr va gur orfg
    bs qverpgvbaf...

    V pbafvqre guvf n srngher bs gur NV - vg nyybjf cynlref gb orng Gybfu
    qrfcvgr orvat haqrecbjrerq.

    (See www.rot13.com for translation)
    --
    Jeff Lait
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Lait wrote:
    > Jonathan Beverley wrote:
    >> In article <varb311v5oa181gb5tgk1mu07j0csca8qk@4ax.com>, Mithel
    > wrote:
    >> > I've played to the point where you take control of the elder, but I'm
    >> > stuck. Kor is sitting on top of the cave entrence, and he won't move
    >> > aside. Help?
    >>
    >> Am I missing something? I played through to the end of the game, but
    >> never got control of the Elder.
    >>
    >> (in fact I only got control of three of the characters...)
    >
    > Yes, you are missing something. First, while you cannot escape the
    > dungeon when you first enter it, you can escape it if you complete your
    > character's goal, even if Tlosh is still about (ie, the game is not won
    > yet)

    Yeah, I noticed that, my second got out. At a guess, Tlosh was guarding
    my third objective. Certainly I tried to leave after he spieled at me,
    but no, I had to stay. One brief fight to the death later...

    (btw(rot13), xabpxonpx vf oehgny Gybfu arire tbg n uvg ba zr, nf ybat
    nf V bayl nggnpxrq uvz va zryrr...)

    > Second, You Only Live Once is one of the few games in which you unlock
    > more content by playing *poorly* than by playing well.

    I was beginning to think that.

    -Jonathan
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Jonathan Beverley wrote:
    > (btw(rot13), xabpxonpx vf oehgny Gybfu arire tbg n uvg ba zr, nf ybat
    > nf V bayl nggnpxrq uvz va zryrr...)

    Bah. How do you rot13 in thunderbird? it was easy in xnews...

  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    The Sheep wrote:
    > Dnia 16 Mar 2005 17:20:42 -0800,
    > Jeff Lait napisal(a):
    >
    > > Jonathan Beverley wrote:
    > >> In article
    <1110928667.909099.280840@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
    > > Gung'f abg xabpxonpx. Gybfu, naq nyy enatrq nggnpxref, ner pbjneqf
    fb
    > > syrr zryrr jura gurl pna. Ubjrire, gurl qba'g nyjnlf syrr va gur
    orfg
    > > bs qverpgvbaf...
    > >
    > > V pbafvqre guvf n srngher bs gur NV - vg nyybjf cynlref gb orng
    Gybfu
    > > qrfcvgr orvat haqrecbjrerq.
    >
    > Gurve nibvqvat bs zryrr pbzong yrg n oht fyvc gebhtu (jryy, znlor vg
    > jnf fhccbfrq gb or n srngher. Vs lbh znantr gb pbeare n Xbobyq, naq
    > sbepr vg gb npghnyyl hfr zryrr, vg jvyy xvyy lbh jvgu bar uvg.

    Gurve nibvqvat bs zryrr pbzong yrg n oht fyvc gebhtu (jryy, znlor vg
    jnf fhccbfrq gb or n srngher. Vs lbh znantr gb pbeare n Xbobyq, naq
    sbepr vg gb npghnyyl hfr zryrr, vg jvyy xvyy lbh jvgu bar uvg.

    Xvyy Gvzzl, znlor. Naq rira gura abg va bar uvg. Gurl fubhyq bayl qb
    guerr uc qnzntr jvgu gurve zryrr nggnpx. Gybfu, gubhtu, jvyy xvyy zbfg
    punenpgref va n fvatyr uvg bs zryrr. "Gybfu pnfgf pnhfr frevbhf jbhaqf
    ng lbh." vf abg fbzrguvat lbh jnag gb frr. Evtug hc gurer jvgu "Gur
    fxryrgba pncgnva rivfprengrf lbh."

    (C.f. www.rot13.com for the codec)
    --
    Jeff Lait
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Dnia 16 Mar 2005 17:20:42 -0800,
    Jeff Lait napisal(a):

    > Jonathan Beverley wrote:
    >> In article <1110928667.909099.280840@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
    > Gung'f abg xabpxonpx. Gybfu, naq nyy enatrq nggnpxref, ner pbjneqf fb
    > syrr zryrr jura gurl pna. Ubjrire, gurl qba'g nyjnlf syrr va gur orfg
    > bs qverpgvbaf...
    >
    > V pbafvqre guvf n srngher bs gur NV - vg nyybjf cynlref gb orng Gybfu
    > qrfcvgr orvat haqrecbjrerq.

    Gurve nibvqvat bs zryrr pbzong yrg n oht fyvc gebhtu (jryy, znlor vg
    jnf fhccbfrq gb or n srngher. Vs lbh znantr gb pbeare n Xbobyq, naq
    sbepr vg gb npghnyyl hfr zryrr, vg jvyy xvyy lbh jvgu bar uvg.

    --
    `The Sheep' ('') 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (--) 3
    Dopieralski .vvVvVVVVVvVVVvVVVvVvVVvVvvVvVVVVVVvvVVvvVvvvvVVvVVvv.v.
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    www.rot13.com for those without the feature in the reader.

    --
    Glen
    L:Pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

Games Prebuilt Systems Video Games