Completed Roguelike: You Only Live Once

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.announce,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

I am pleased to announce the completion of a new roguelike: "You Only
Live Once"

Prebuilt binaries are provided for Linux and Windows. Source is
provided for those on other platforms.

You may download You Only Live Once at:
http://www.zincland.com/7drl/liveonce

The key features of You Only Live Once are:
* Deterministic Combat. You always hit and always do maximum damage.
Tactical maneuvering is thus very important.
* Developing Plot. The action takes place within a cohesive world in
which your actions have consequences.
* Small Playtime Commitment. You can likely win the game in your first
try. Fully playing all the possibilities likely takes only a few
hours.
* It is a Seven Day Roguelike, having been largely written within a 168
hour time frame.

I hope you try it and enjoy it!
--
Jeff Lait

Falk W. wrote:
> Jeff Lait wrote:
>
> > I hope you try it and enjoy it!
>
> Well, I just tried it. Or at least I tried to try it, but numpad
> movement doesn't work on Windows. And I can't stand vi keys. Oh and
the
> normal number keys do work for movement, but their layout is just as
bad
> as the vi keys. Oh and numlock has no effect on this.

Thanks for giving it a shot. I'm sorry that the numpad didn't work.
For vi-haters, note that the cursor keys should work, so you could play
an orthogonal-only challenge game. You Only Live Once is easy enough
that it isn't that unreasonable :>

The best laid plans of mice and men... I don't actually have a
keyboard with a number pad, so never had the chance to test it. I had
naively assumed that SDL would give me the normal numbers as unicode
output, so tested that the normal numbers worked. It seems SDL doesn't
cook the number pad to unicode, however.

I'll update the webpage to warn people about this now-known bug.
--
Jeff Lait

Jeff Lait wrote:

> Thanks for giving it a shot. I'm sorry that the numpad didn't work.
> For vi-haters, note that the cursor keys should work, so you could play
> an orthogonal-only challenge game. You Only Live Once is easy enough
> that it isn't that unreasonable :>

I noticed that after fighting with the vi keys for a while. So actually
I could enjoy the game. I like the combat and the overall idea is pretty
interesting, too. The only real loser in this was my numpad, which was
all sad that I didn't use it. ;)

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:05:49 +0100, "Falk W." <CCDSoftware@web.de> tried
to confuse everyone with this message:

>Jeff Lait wrote:
>
>> I hope you try it and enjoy it!
>
>Well, I just tried it. Or at least I tried to try it, but numpad
>movement doesn't work on Windows. And I can't stand vi keys. Oh and the
>normal number keys do work for movement, but their layout is just as bad
>as the vi keys. Oh and numlock has no effect on this.

Numpad works for me with NumLock off. It's probably an another XP bug,
because I use good old Win'98.

--
|a\o/r|,-------------.,---------- Timofei Shatrov aka Grue ------------.
| m"a ||FC AMKAR PERM|| mail: grue at mail.ru http://grue3.tripod.com |
| k || PWNZ J00 || Kingdom of Loathing: Grue3 lvl 18 Seal Clubber |
`-----'`-------------'`-------------------------------------------[4*72]

Dnia 12 Mar 2005 04:11:49 -0800,
Jeff Lait napisal(a):

> Falk W. wrote:
>> Jeff Lait wrote:

Just subscibed this group specially to talk about this game ;)
Hello everyone.
<snip>

> The best laid plans of mice and men... I don't actually have a
> keyboard with a number pad, so never had the chance to test it. I had
> naively assumed that SDL would give me the normal numbers as unicode
> output, so tested that the normal numbers worked. It seems SDL doesn't
> cook the number pad to unicode, however.

No, it cooks it to something like '[1]', '[2]', etc.

--
Radomir @**@_ Bee! .**._ .**._ .**._ .**._ zZ
`The Sheep' ('') 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (--) 3

Glen Wheeler wrote:
> "Jeff Lait" <torespondisfutile@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I am pleased to announce the completion of a new roguelike: "You
Only
> > Live Once"
>
> ...and so you should be! This game is a definite gem. Very well
done.
> For 168 hours, it exudes polish. I enjoyed it immensely.

Thank you! My goal was a game that felt complete rather than one that
felt like I just stopped when the clock hit 7 days :>

> > Prebuilt binaries are provided for Linux and Windows. Source is
> > provided for those on other platforms.
> >
> > You may download You Only Live Once at:
> > http://www.zincland.com/7drl/liveonce
> >
> > The key features of You Only Live Once are:
> > * Deterministic Combat. You always hit and always do maximum
damage.
> > Tactical maneuvering is thus very important.
>
> This is very fun. I also enjoyed the simplified combat system;
these two
> things work in tandem marvellously.

I'm looking forward to using this as a debate point when people get
carried away with insanely complicated combat resolution mechanisms.

> > * Developing Plot. The action takes place within a cohesive world
in
> > which your actions have consequences.
>
> You bet! The adaptive plot was fun, and made me finish it twice.
>
> > * Small Playtime Commitment. You can likely win the game in your
first
> > try. Fully playing all the possibilities likely takes only a few
> > hours.
>
> I've only played two. Definitely a plus for me, this is the reason
I had
> a go at it tonight (as opposed to in a weeks time over a Sunday
afternoon).

I think game developers are too caught up in the 40 hour playtime meme.
If I can enjoy a movie which I only see once and only takes two hours,
why not enjoy a game in the same time frame?

> > * It is a Seven Day Roguelike, having been largely written within a
168
> > hour time frame.
> >
> > I hope you try it and enjoy it!
>
> Only one gripe; learning the hjklyubn keys did take a while. The
'5' as
> wait key isn't documented (I think); what is wait for roguelike/vi
keys?

Wait in roguelike/vi keys is '.'. That's my nethack heritage showing
again :> Nope, 5 isn't documented. I realized I also never documented
> or <. Good thing most players instinctively use that from other
games :>

> Thanks again for the few hours of fun :).

You're welcome! I had fun writing it, so all this extra fun generated
is just bonus.
--
Jeff Lait

"Jeff Lait" <torespondisfutile@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am pleased to announce the completion of a new roguelike: "You Only
> Live Once"

...and so you should be! This game is a definite gem. Very well done.
For 168 hours, it exudes polish. I enjoyed it immensely.

> Prebuilt binaries are provided for Linux and Windows. Source is
> provided for those on other platforms.
>
> You may download You Only Live Once at:
> http://www.zincland.com/7drl/liveonce
>
> The key features of You Only Live Once are:
> * Deterministic Combat. You always hit and always do maximum damage.
> Tactical maneuvering is thus very important.

This is very fun. I also enjoyed the simplified combat system; these two
things work in tandem marvellously.

> * Developing Plot. The action takes place within a cohesive world in
> which your actions have consequences.

You bet! The adaptive plot was fun, and made me finish it twice.

> * Small Playtime Commitment. You can likely win the game in your first
> try. Fully playing all the possibilities likely takes only a few
> hours.

I've only played two. Definitely a plus for me, this is the reason I had
a go at it tonight (as opposed to in a weeks time over a Sunday afternoon).

> * It is a Seven Day Roguelike, having been largely written within a 168
> hour time frame.
>
> I hope you try it and enjoy it!

Only one gripe; learning the hjklyubn keys did take a while. The '5' as
wait key isn't documented (I think); what is wait for roguelike/vi keys?

Thanks again for the few hours of fun :).

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

I've played to the point where you take control of the elder, but I'm
stuck. Kor is sitting on top of the cave entrence, and he won't move
aside. Help?

Mithel wrote:
> I've played to the point where you take control of the elder, but I'm
> stuck. Kor is sitting on top of the cave entrence, and he won't move
> aside. Help?

I'm sorry, but that's a known bug. The only solution now is to delete
your save game (valley.sav) and continue. To avoid this in the future,
do not escape the dungeon with the Smith

If you are up to recompiling the system, you can change Kor Smith's
"AI_NONE" to "AI_HOME" and the problem will be fixed when you next
load.

Between this and the number pad, I think I'll have to put out a bug fix
release after all...
--
Jeff Lait

Dnia Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:01:50 -0500,
Mithel napisal(a):

> I've played to the point where you take control of the elder, but I'm
> stuck. Kor is sitting on top of the cave entrence, and he won't move
> aside. Help?

Same here, seems to be a bug?

--

Jonathan Beverley wrote:
> In article <varb311v5oa181gb5tgk1mu07j0csca8qk@4ax.com>, Mithel
wrote:
> > I've played to the point where you take control of the elder, but
I'm
> > stuck. Kor is sitting on top of the cave entrence, and he won't
move
> > aside. Help?
>
> Am I missing something? I played through to the end of the game, but
> never got control of the Elder.
>
> (in fact I only got control of three of the characters...)

Yes, you are missing something. First, while you cannot escape the
dungeon when you first enter it, you can escape it if you complete your
character's goal, even if Tlosh is still about (ie, the game is not won
yet)

Second, You Only Live Once is one of the few games in which you unlock
more content by playing *poorly* than by playing well.

Good luck.
--
Jeff Lait

In article <varb311v5oa181gb5tgk1mu07j0csca8qk@4ax.com>, Mithel wrote:
> I've played to the point where you take control of the elder, but I'm
> stuck. Kor is sitting on top of the cave entrence, and he won't move
> aside. Help?

Am I missing something? I played through to the end of the game, but
never got control of the Elder.

(in fact I only got control of three of the characters...)

-Jonathan

Jonathan Beverley wrote:
> In article <1110928667.909099.280840@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
Jeff
> Lait wrote:
> > Jonathan Beverley wrote:
> >>
> >> Am I missing something? I played through to the end of the game,
but
> >> never got control of the Elder.
> >>
> >> (in fact I only got control of three of the characters...)
> >
> > Yes, you are missing something. First, while you cannot escape the
> > dungeon when you first enter it, you can escape it if you complete
your
> > character's goal, even if Tlosh is still about (ie, the game is not
won
> > yet)
>
> Yeah, I noticed that, my second got out. At a guess, Tlosh was
guarding
> my third objective. Certainly I tried to leave after he spieled at
me,
> but no, I had to stay. One brief fight to the death later...
>
> (btw(rot13), xabpxonpx vf oehgny Gybfu arire tbg n uvg ba zr, nf ybat
> nf V bayl nggnpxrq uvz va zryrr...)

Gung'f abg xabpxonpx. Gybfu, naq nyy enatrq nggnpxref, ner pbjneqf fb
syrr zryrr jura gurl pna. Ubjrire, gurl qba'g nyjnlf syrr va gur orfg
bs qverpgvbaf...

V pbafvqre guvf n srngher bs gur NV - vg nyybjf cynlref gb orng Gybfu
qrfcvgr orvat haqrecbjrerq.

(See www.rot13.com for translation)
--
Jeff Lait

Lait wrote:
> Jonathan Beverley wrote:
>> In article <varb311v5oa181gb5tgk1mu07j0csca8qk@4ax.com>, Mithel
> wrote:
>> > I've played to the point where you take control of the elder, but I'm
>> > stuck. Kor is sitting on top of the cave entrence, and he won't move
>> > aside. Help?
>>
>> Am I missing something? I played through to the end of the game, but
>> never got control of the Elder.
>>
>> (in fact I only got control of three of the characters...)
>
> Yes, you are missing something. First, while you cannot escape the
> dungeon when you first enter it, you can escape it if you complete your
> character's goal, even if Tlosh is still about (ie, the game is not won
> yet)

Yeah, I noticed that, my second got out. At a guess, Tlosh was guarding
my third objective. Certainly I tried to leave after he spieled at me,
but no, I had to stay. One brief fight to the death later...

(btw(rot13), xabpxonpx vf oehgny Gybfu arire tbg n uvg ba zr, nf ybat
nf V bayl nggnpxrq uvz va zryrr...)

> Second, You Only Live Once is one of the few games in which you unlock
> more content by playing *poorly* than by playing well.

I was beginning to think that.

-Jonathan

Jonathan Beverley wrote:
> (btw(rot13), xabpxonpx vf oehgny Gybfu arire tbg n uvg ba zr, nf ybat
> nf V bayl nggnpxrq uvz va zryrr...)

Bah. How do you rot13 in thunderbird? it was easy in xnews...

The Sheep wrote:
> Dnia 16 Mar 2005 17:20:42 -0800,
> Jeff Lait napisal(a):
>
> > Jonathan Beverley wrote:
> >> In article
<1110928667.909099.280840@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
> > Gung'f abg xabpxonpx. Gybfu, naq nyy enatrq nggnpxref, ner pbjneqf
fb
> > syrr zryrr jura gurl pna. Ubjrire, gurl qba'g nyjnlf syrr va gur
orfg
> > bs qverpgvbaf...
> >
> > V pbafvqre guvf n srngher bs gur NV - vg nyybjf cynlref gb orng
Gybfu
> > qrfcvgr orvat haqrecbjrerq.
>
> Gurve nibvqvat bs zryrr pbzong yrg n oht fyvc gebhtu (jryy, znlor vg
> jnf fhccbfrq gb or n srngher. Vs lbh znantr gb pbeare n Xbobyq, naq
> sbepr vg gb npghnyyl hfr zryrr, vg jvyy xvyy lbh jvgu bar uvg.

Gurve nibvqvat bs zryrr pbzong yrg n oht fyvc gebhtu (jryy, znlor vg
jnf fhccbfrq gb or n srngher. Vs lbh znantr gb pbeare n Xbobyq, naq
sbepr vg gb npghnyyl hfr zryrr, vg jvyy xvyy lbh jvgu bar uvg.

Xvyy Gvzzl, znlor. Naq rira gura abg va bar uvg. Gurl fubhyq bayl qb
guerr uc qnzntr jvgu gurve zryrr nggnpx. Gybfu, gubhtu, jvyy xvyy zbfg
punenpgref va n fvatyr uvg bs zryrr. "Gybfu pnfgf pnhfr frevbhf jbhaqf
ng lbh." vf abg fbzrguvat lbh jnag gb frr. Evtug hc gurer jvgu "Gur
fxryrgba pncgnva rivfprengrf lbh."

(C.f. www.rot13.com for the codec)
--
Jeff Lait

www.rot13.com for those without the feature in the reader.

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-