[DiabloRL] DiabloRL Pre-Release -- the 7 day roguelike ;-)

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

So it came to be, that there was a great revolution within the burning
hells... DiabloRL was born...

Well folks, here it is -- my 7 day Roguelike. Written using GenRogue's
Valkyrie Input/Output/GUI library. Consisting of 142KB of FreePascal source
code (not including Valkyrie)... have fun. And tell me if you like it --
maybe a full version of DiabloRL will see daylight ;-).

Remember that this was made in 7 days -- it's very incomplete, and many many
features are missing. It stil strives to be true to the original.

Get it while it's hot:
http://chaos.magma-net.pl/diablo/

There is just one class -- the Warrior.

This version is based around the Diablo Demo Pre-Release version. Some of
the functionality is still missing tough. For example you can only "buy" in
shops, and there's no magic (books, spells, staves) at all. The NPCs are
very incomplete (and some missing at all). You can talk wth them about the
Butcher tough ;-)

There are only 4 levels of the Church to walk around, and the game ends when
you kill the Butcher.

After death the game leaves "mortem.txt" with the info about the dead (or
winning) character. You can post it on rec.games.roguelike.misc newsgroup if
you wish, but please add a tag stating [DiabloRL] to the
topic.

If I would (only if I get enough motivated by you ;-)) ever make a full
version it would have:

-- the full range of Diablo items, monsters, uniques, prefixees and spells
-- catacombs, caves and hell -- each with a unique level generator
-- all the original Diablo quests with the original texts
-- all the hidden quest locations and uniques
-- additional quests that by Blizzard that didn''t appear in Diablo
-- full spell and missile weapon system
-- six classes -- Warrior, Mage, Rogue, Monk, Bard and Barbarian
-- maybe additional Hellfire content -- spells, items, quests, uniques.
-- Programmer''s edition -- how the author himself see''s the world of
Diablo
-- proper shops, and special rooms in dungeons

Now, just somebody try to convince me, that Diablo wasn't a roguelike --
here's proof ;-).
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    > So it came to be, that there was a great revolution within the
    burning
    > hells... DiabloRL was born...

    Most exciting!

    > This version is based around the Diablo Demo Pre-Release version.
    Some of
    > the functionality is still missing tough. For example you can only
    "buy" in
    > shops, and there's no magic (books, spells, staves) at all. The NPCs
    are
    > very incomplete (and some missing at all). You can talk wth them
    about the
    > Butcher tough ;-)

    Now that was a clever idea on how to bound the work necessary!

    This made me nostalgic for the original Diablo. I remember playing the
    demo trying to get to the Butcher.

    You have done your usual attention to detail with this remake. The
    health globes are nicely rendered. You didn't skimp with the 'i' or
    'c' options (More roguelikes should use those sort of menus, if you
    ask me. Why hide the action just to bring up the inventory?)

    And, it was nice to see the barrels properly represented.

    > There are only 4 levels of the Church to walk around, and the game
    ends when
    > you kill the Butcher.

    I managed to reach the Butcher's Lair and got promptly slaughtered by
    some shadow beasts. Worse yet, I still had healing potions on my
    inventory. The shame!

    > Now, just somebody try to convince me, that Diablo wasn't a roguelike
    --
    > here's proof ;-).

    Agreed. There clearly can be no more argument. The only defence
    Diablo-haters can have is to claim that DiabloRL isn't a roguelike
    either :>

    Some nitpicking bugs:
    1) I get occasional: "The zombie misses!" when I am in a hallway by
    myself.
    2) Didn't Diablo support having both 'c' and 'i' menus up at the same
    time?
    3) Usual collection of typos. s/som/son/, for example. s/Lifes/Life/.
    4) I don't think I ever found something in a chest. Did I miss
    something?
    --
    Jeff Lait
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    "Jeff Lait" <torespondisfutile@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    >> So it came to be, that there was a great revolution within the
    > burning
    >> hells... DiabloRL was born...
    >
    > Most exciting!

    Interesing, must download...

    >> This version is based around the Diablo Demo Pre-Release version.
    > Some of
    >> the functionality is still missing tough. For example you can only
    > "buy" in
    >> shops, and there's no magic (books, spells, staves) at all. The NPCs
    > are
    >> very incomplete (and some missing at all). You can talk wth them
    > about the
    >> Butcher tough ;-)

    Downloaded, started, nice.

    > 4) I don't think I ever found something in a chest. Did I miss
    > something?
    My first medium chest popped two gold piles...

    Back to playing :)
    Danny
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    > Jeff Lait wrote:
    > > Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    > >> So it came to be, that there was a great revolution within the
    > >> burning hells... DiabloRL was born...
    > >
    > > Most exciting!
    >
    > :-D. I told you I was *insane* ;-).

    > > This made me nostalgic for the original Diablo. I remember playing
    > > the demo trying to get to the Butcher.
    >
    > So did I while writing the DiabloRL Demo... I didn't manage to do
    that ;-).

    > > You have done your usual attention to detail with this remake. The
    > > health globes are nicely rendered. You didn't skimp with the 'i'
    or
    > > 'c' options (More roguelikes should use those sort of menus, if
    you
    > > ask me. Why hide the action just to bring up the inventory?)
    >
    > Yeah, the only disadvantage is that you have little space for the
    inventory.
    > In GenRogue tough I designed even a more evil approach...
    >
    > > And, it was nice to see the barrels properly represented.
    >
    > ? You mean ?
    > (Yeah, I know I add barrels to every game ;-D)

    I mean the skeletons popping out of half the barrels, of course!

    > >> Now, just somebody try to convince me, that Diablo wasn't a
    > >> roguelike -- here's proof ;-).
    > >
    > > Agreed. There clearly can be no more argument. The only defence
    > > Diablo-haters can have is to claim that DiabloRL isn't a roguelike
    > > either :>
    >
    > LOL ;-). Why would they? :-D

    DiabloRL is obviously not a roguelike. Look how close it is to Diablo,
    and since that is not a roguelike, it cannot be one either!

    > > 2) Didn't Diablo support having both 'c' and 'i' menus up at the
    same
    > > time?
    >
    > Well, DiabloRL supports that too. Unfoprtunately the last day
    invoking the
    > Character screen from the Inventory screen went broken :-(. But you
    can
    > still enter inventory from the Character Screen -- try it ;-).

    Okay, you get partial credit. If I do 'c' then 'i', I can't hit 'c' to
    drop the character screen but keep the inventory screen up. (Us users
    are never satisfied.)

    > > 4) I don't think I ever found something in a chest.
    > > Did I miss something?
    >
    > Maybe a RNG issue...

    Yes, it seems I was just unlucky. Others have reported finding stuff
    in chests.
    --
    Jeff Lait
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Jeff Lait wrote:
    > Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    >> So it came to be, that there was a great revolution within the
    >> burning hells... DiabloRL was born...
    >
    > Most exciting!

    :-D. I told you I was *insane* ;-).

    > This made me nostalgic for the original Diablo. I remember playing
    > the demo trying to get to the Butcher.

    So did I while writing the DiabloRL Demo... I didn't manage to do that ;-).

    > You have done your usual attention to detail with this remake. The
    > health globes are nicely rendered. You didn't skimp with the 'i' or
    > 'c' options (More roguelikes should use those sort of menus, if you
    > ask me. Why hide the action just to bring up the inventory?)

    Yeah, the only disadvantage is that you have little space for the inventory.
    In GenRogue tough I designed even a more evil approach...

    > And, it was nice to see the barrels properly represented.

    ? You mean ?
    (Yeah, I know I add barrels to every game ;-D)

    >> There are only 4 levels of the Church to walk around, and the game
    >> ends when you kill the Butcher.
    >
    > I managed to reach the Butcher's Lair and got promptly slaughtered by
    > some shadow beasts. Worse yet, I still had healing potions on my
    > inventory. The shame!

    The monsters in Butcher's Lair aren't easy. In the orignal spells would come
    in handy. Here unfortunately you don't have them :-(.

    >> Now, just somebody try to convince me, that Diablo wasn't a
    >> roguelike -- here's proof ;-).
    >
    > Agreed. There clearly can be no more argument. The only defence
    > Diablo-haters can have is to claim that DiabloRL isn't a roguelike
    > either :>

    LOL ;-). Why would they? :-D

    > Some nitpicking bugs:
    > 1) I get occasional: "The zombie misses!" when I am in a hallway by
    > myself.

    Uh, Wierd. I'll check that.

    > 2) Didn't Diablo support having both 'c' and 'i' menus up at the same
    > time?

    Well, DiabloRL supports that too. Unfoprtunately the last day invoking the
    Character screen from the Inventory screen went broken :-(. But you can
    still enter inventory from the Character Screen -- try it ;-).

    > 3) Usual collection of typos. s/som/son/, for example.
    > s/Lifes/Life/.

    Kheh ;-) Okay...

    > 4) I don't think I ever found something in a chest.
    > Did I miss something?

    Maybe a RNG issue...
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)
    "The name of GenRogue, has become a warning against excessively complex
    design." -- RGRD FAQ
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Dnia Mon, 14 Mar 2005 02:04:03 +0100, Kornel Kisielewicz napisa³(a):
    > Well folks, here it is -- my 7 day Roguelike. Written using GenRogue's
    > Valkyrie Input/Output/GUI library. Consisting of 142KB of FreePascal source
    > code (not including Valkyrie)... have fun. And tell me if you like it --
    > maybe a full version of DiabloRL will see daylight ;-).

    I like the level generator. It produces quite large but interesting maps.
    Monsters are too similar, but well, it's just a demo.
    Diablo like character progress works good.

    A fun game :)

    regards,
    Jakub
    --
    "We're just toys in the hands of Xom"
    xenocide.e-plan.pl - SF roguelike in development

    Jeff Lait wrote::

    > DiabloRL is obviously not a roguelike. Look how close it is to Diablo,
    > and since that is not a roguelike, it cannot be one either!

    I feel this is meant as a joke, but I want to add a few serious words:

    It's sad that "like" doesn't include "inspired by". IMO Diablo is a
    perfect mix of roguelike ideas with realtime, graphics, music and
    multiplayer support.

    When I played, the influences always have been apparent. For me it was a
    "roguelike" in my rather generous interpretation of that word :)

    Some people asked how to avoid savefile scumming. Diablo II on
    battle.net (hardcore mode) shows a possible answer: the savefiles are on
    the server, and apparently safe from all hacking attempts. Death is
    final, items and attributes can't be hacked. The clients don't send such
    data back to the server so hacking the client or imüplanting a proxy in
    the connection won't help either.

    Hardcore mode (=permadeath) is quite common among players, it seems.

    --
    c.u. Hajo
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Hansjoerg Malthaner .-- .-. --- - . ---...

    > Jeff Lait wrote::
    >
    >> DiabloRL is obviously not a roguelike. Look how close it is to Diablo,
    >> and since that is not a roguelike, it cannot be one either!
    >
    > I feel this is meant as a joke, but I want to add a few serious words:
    > It's sad that "like" doesn't include "inspired by". IMO Diablo is a
    > perfect mix of roguelike ideas with realtime, graphics, music and
    > multiplayer support.

    AFAIK it's quite common to refer Diablo as a definition of "slash'em" game
    where player is concentrated on killing creatures, almost like in 3D
    shooters, but with some amount of character (skills, attributes)
    development and inventory decisions, that are represented in 3d shooters
    usually only by weapons. They have a very simple plot and they lack RPG
    interacions with NPCs. When not talking about multimedia it seems that most
    roguelikes are more complicated than that.

    > When I played, the influences always have been apparent. For me it was a
    > "roguelike" in my rather generous interpretation of that word :)
    >
    > Some people asked how to avoid savefile scumming. Diablo II on
    > battle.net (hardcore mode) shows a possible answer: the savefiles are on
    > the server, and apparently safe from all hacking attempts. Death is
    > final, items and attributes can't be hacked. The clients don't send such
    > data back to the server so hacking the client or imüplanting a proxy in
    > the connection won't help either.
    >
    > Hardcore mode (=permadeath) is quite common among players, it seems.

    I don't suppose so. Development of Diablo II decent character takes a lot
    of time; losing it all due to some moment of weakness\disregard is very
    painful. Spending next 10 hours beginning from the scratch is not a
    favourite way of one's fun IMO. Diablo II punishes death with losing of
    money and you need to get back your items, unless you quit the game. It's
    sufficient for a game where character way-of-playing depend mostly on class
    and are quite similar way all the time for given class, as well as
    non-random quests. That's why I think replaying Diablo II is not
    interesting, ergo permadeath also. I'm not sure if 'hardcore' character
    doesn't get some bonus from the game, except prestige from other players
    and player himself.

    --
    Loonie
    Violence is not an option - American History X

    Daniel Morris wrote:
    > "Jeff Lait" <torespondisfutile@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    >>
    >>>So it came to be, that there was a great revolution within the
    >>
    >>burning
    >>
    >>>hells... DiabloRL was born...
    >>
    >>Most exciting!
    >>

    > Interesing, must download...
    >

    >>>This version is based around the Diablo Demo Pre-Release version.
    >>
    >>Some of
    >>
    >>>the functionality is still missing tough. For example you can only
    >>
    >>"buy" in
    >>
    >>>shops, and there's no magic (books, spells, staves) at all. The NPCs
    >>
    >>are
    >>
    >>>very incomplete (and some missing at all). You can talk wth them
    >>
    >>about the
    >>
    >>>Butcher tough ;-)
    >>

    > Downloaded, started, nice.
    >

    >>4) I don't think I ever found something in a chest. Did I miss
    >>something?
    >
    > My first medium chest popped two gold piles...
    >
    > Back to playing :)
    > Danny

    Fantastic idea, best of the 7DRL I've tried so far.

    I like the move toward gameplay of lots of enemies, lots of damage, need
    lots of health potions... a different feel to normal RL's, very Diablo,
    and doesn't ruin the game (even though my instincts would normally
    suggest otherwise).

    I would like to see part of the screen devoted to showing an ASCII art
    of the closest monsters and its state, with its name underneath - just
    to add flavour. The chest and stuff are great. This ASCII art section
    could also show pictures of opened chests etc... this might also be nice
    for characters you meet in town - all in ASCII of course - ala the Doom
    characters.

    A DOS box on windows could go bigger than your current size, as it plays
    in about 1/4 of my usual resolution :) Thus making room for a display
    area to the right.

    Please do continue to develop a version of this, you really have a gift
    for this conversion stuff! I wonder about how much stuff you can do at
    once though ;)

    --
    ABCGi (geek) http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk S14 D15 C13 I17 W9 c12
    GCS/IT$/L/B$ d+(-) s: a? C++ ULUSU-- P+ L+>++ E- W++$ N+ o+ K--

    ABCGi wrote:
    > Daniel Morris wrote:
    >> Back to playing :)
    >> Danny
    >
    > Fantastic idea, best of the 7DRL I've tried so far.
    >
    > I like the move toward gameplay of lots of enemies, lots of damage,
    > need lots of health potions... a different feel to normal RL's, very
    > Diablo, and doesn't ruin the game (even though my instincts would
    > normally suggest otherwise).

    I wanted to keep the Diablo-feel, just like I captured the Doom-feel... But
    the mass-murder idea was from the never touched Berserk Roguelike idea I
    had... Altough the latter had blood and guts spilling everywhere... You can
    even see an easter egg related to berserk in game ;-) .

    > I would like to see part of the screen devoted to showing an ASCII art
    > of the closest monsters and its state, with its name underneath - just
    > to add flavour. The chest and stuff are great. This ASCII art section
    > could also show pictures of opened chests etc... this might also be
    > nice for characters you meet in town - all in ASCII of course - ala
    > the Doom characters.

    With that amount of work, I would rather spend that time working on a
    graphical game ;-).

    > Please do continue to develop a version of this, you really have a
    > gift for this conversion stuff! I wonder about how much stuff you can
    > do at once though ;)

    Quite a bit ;-).
    Anyway, you say that I have a gift for conversion stuff... well, I'm getting
    sick of converting now ;-). My next roguelike will be something unusual.
    Either related to Shadows or something else....
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)
    "The name of GenRogue, has become a warning against excessively complex
    design." -- RGRD FAQ
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz .-- .-. --- - . ---...

    >> I would like to see part of the screen devoted to showing an ASCII art
    >> of the closest monsters and its state, with its name underneath - just
    >> to add flavour. The chest and stuff are great. This ASCII art section
    >> could also show pictures of opened chests etc... this might also be
    >> nice for characters you meet in town - all in ASCII of course - ala
    >> the Doom characters.
    >
    > With that amount of work, I would rather spend that time working on a
    > graphical game ;-).

    I guess it's possible to take a screenshot and get it ASCII-ed by some
    clever program (however AFAIR screenshots from Diablo didn't work on my
    system).

    --
    Loonie
    ---------------------------------------

    In article <14lga94vtysi4.dlg@Loonie.pl.fr>, Loonie wrote:
    > Kornel Kisielewicz .-- .-. --- - . ---...
    >>> I would like to see part of the screen devoted to showing an ASCII art
    >>> of the closest monsters and its state, with its name underneath - just
    >>> to add flavour. The chest and stuff are great. This ASCII art section
    >>> could also show pictures of opened chests etc... this might also be
    >>> nice for characters you meet in town - all in ASCII of course - ala
    >>> the Doom characters.
    >> With that amount of work, I would rather spend that time working on a
    >> graphical game ;-).
    > I guess it's possible to take a screenshot and get it ASCII-ed by some
    > clever program (however AFAIR screenshots from Diablo didn't work on my
    > system).

    http://sam.zoy.org/projects/libcaca/

    If you download VLC (http://www.videolan.org/) you can even watch videos in
    real-time ASCII :)
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Paul Murray .-- .-. --- - . ---...

    > In article <14lga94vtysi4.dlg@Loonie.pl.fr>, Loonie wrote:
    >> Kornel Kisielewicz .-- .-. --- - . ---...
    >>> With that amount of work, I would rather spend that time working on a
    >>> graphical game ;-).
    >> I guess it's possible to take a screenshot and get it ASCII-ed by some
    >> clever program (however AFAIR screenshots from Diablo didn't work on my
    >> system).
    >
    > http://sam.zoy.org/projects/libcaca/
    >
    > If you download VLC (http://www.videolan.org/) you can even watch videos in
    > real-time ASCII :)

    Really nice piece of software, and the images are great, however in some
    high-res ASCII.

    --
    Loonie
    Violence is not an option - American History X
    http://www.crawl.webpark.pl
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:

    >So it came to be, that there was a great revolution within the burning
    >hells... DiabloRL was born...
    >
    >Well folks, here it is -- my 7 day Roguelike. Written using GenRogue's
    >Valkyrie Input/Output/GUI library. Consisting of 142KB of FreePascal source
    >code (not including Valkyrie)... have fun. And tell me if you like it --
    >maybe a full version of DiabloRL will see daylight ;-).

    As an old Diablo veteran, I have to give this a try. :)

    Just two quick questions for now: am I correct in that it currently is not
    possible to repair or sell items? If so, I can safely dump most of this
    junk. :)

    I definitely like what I've seen so far, though I do prefer the "real
    thing". ;)
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:

    > So it came to be, that there was a great revolution within the burning
    > hells... DiabloRL was born...

    Very nice! I can actually play it without needing to consult a manual
    at every step, which is a big plus. (When I tried Gearhead last year,
    I was turned off by the initial complexity.)
    In fact, it looks like the 'a' action key is only needed to close doors
    at the moment, and that's not much of a useful strategy when you have
    no HP regeneration, anyway!

    I got all the way to the end and was fighting the Butcher when the game
    seemed to freeze; nothing I pressed made any difference. The last line
    of output was "You miss the Butcher. The Butcher misses you." (or
    something equivalent). I don't know exactly what happened before the
    freeze... this RL, in its present state, definitely encourages mindless
    arrow-pushing to kill monsters. You just get your opponent in a doorway
    so you can't be surrounded, and then whale away at him. All that can go
    wrong is if your weapon breaks or your HP drops below about 15.

    I like the monster distribution; it feels a lot like the original Diablo
    demo in the way you have small groups of zombies, single or large groups
    of skeletons, et cetera.
    Monster AI could use some work. A few times, I intentionally opened a
    bunch of doors between the same two rooms to see if the monsters would
    try to surround me by coming out of two or three doors at once. Nope. :(
    I would like to see a few "wandering monsters" when you're traveling
    back through already-explored territory. It wouldn't be authentic, but
    it's boring otherwise. :) Just a few skeletons or something to keep the
    player alert.

    I like the town map a lot. Are the doors to houses ever going to work?
    (I never figured out whether the houses in the Diablo demo were enterable
    or not.)

    The falchion and a high Str are just as overpowered in DiabloRL as in
    the real thing. ;)

    In my game, I got attacked by plenty of "invisible monsters." But,
    being a masochistic Nethack player, I liked it. The next best thing to
    wandering monsters is wandering, invisible, invincible monsters! (The
    way to beat them is to run away from that room very quickly.)

    -Arthur
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    > ABCGi wrote:
    >
    >>Daniel Morris wrote:
    >>
    >>>Back to playing :)
    >>>Danny
    >>
    >>Fantastic idea, best of the 7DRL I've tried so far.
    >>
    >>I like the move toward gameplay of lots of enemies, lots of damage,
    >>need lots of health potions... a different feel to normal RL's, very
    >>Diablo, and doesn't ruin the game (even though my instincts would
    >>normally suggest otherwise).
    >
    > I wanted to keep the Diablo-feel, just like I captured the Doom-feel... But
    > the mass-murder idea was from the never touched Berserk Roguelike idea I
    > had... Altough the latter had blood and guts spilling everywhere... You can
    > even see an easter egg related to berserk in game ;-) .

    Have not found that yet... but very good that it worked out of the box
    on my Windows machine. Maybe not so good for Linux ppl...

    >>I would like to see part of the screen devoted to showing an ASCII art
    >>of the closest monsters and its state, with its name underneath - just
    >>to add flavour. The chest and stuff are great. This ASCII art section
    >>could also show pictures of opened chests etc... this might also be
    >>nice for characters you meet in town - all in ASCII of course - ala
    >>the Doom characters.
    >
    > With that amount of work, I would rather spend that time working on a
    > graphical game ;-).

    Goto alt.ascii-art -> they will draw/find all the things you need... but
    true it's fluff not gameplay...

    I love the round bubbles for health and mana.

    >>Please do continue to develop a version of this, you really have a
    >>gift for this conversion stuff! I wonder about how much stuff you can
    >>do at once though ;)
    >

    > Quite a bit ;-).
    > Anyway, you say that I have a gift for conversion stuff... well, I'm getting
    > sick of converting now ;-). My next roguelike will be something unusual.
    > Either related to Shadows or something else....

    Something.... original?????!!!???? :) heaven forbid...

    Is any of this stuff going to be open source later? I could imagine it
    might be popular to work on as well as play...

    --
    ABCGi (geek) http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk S14 D15 C13 I17 W9 c12
    GCS/IT$/L/B$ d+(-) s: a? C++ ULUSU-- P+ L+>++ E- W++$ N+ o+ K--
    w+++(--)$ O- !M- V PS++(+) PE-@ Y+(++) PGP>++ t++ 5+ X R(+++) tv
    b++(+) DI++++ D+++ G e++>+++ h++(home office!) r++ y++* BAS-----
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    ABCGi wrote:
    > Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    >> ABCGi wrote:
    >> I wanted to keep the Diablo-feel, just like I captured the
    >> Doom-feel... But the mass-murder idea was from the never touched
    >> Berserk Roguelike idea I had... Altough the latter had blood and
    >> guts spilling everywhere... You can even see an easter egg related
    >> to berserk in game ;-) .
    >
    > Have not found that yet... but very good that it worked out of the box
    > on my Windows machine. Maybe not so good for Linux ppl...

    Aaah, I feel I'm kinda' hard on those Linux guys. I'm so impressed that many
    people do go for a compromise and run DoomRL in a DosBox... I feel bad that
    I didn't supply a Linux version yet :-(

    >> With that amount of work, I would rather spend that time working on a
    >> graphical game ;-).
    >
    > Goto alt.ascii-art -> they will draw/find all the things you need...
    > but true it's fluff not gameplay...

    Especialy that there are a lot mor roguelike and non-roguelike project ideas
    I have... so many projects, so little time...

    > I love the round bubbles for health and mana.

    Yup, that was a MUST for this RL ;-).

    >> Quite a bit ;-).
    >> Anyway, you say that I have a gift for conversion stuff... well, I'm
    >> getting sick of converting now ;-). My next roguelike will be
    >> something unusual. Either related to Shadows or something else....
    >
    > Something.... original?????!!!???? :) heaven forbid...

    *evil laughter* ;-)

    > Is any of this stuff going to be open source later? I could imagine it
    > might be popular to work on as well as play...

    FreePascal? You think so? First I would need to publish Valkyrie tough.
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)
    "The name of GenRogue, has become a warning against excessively
    complex design." -- RGRD FAQ
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Jeff Lait wrote:
    >> ? You mean ?
    >> (Yeah, I know I add barrels to every game ;-D)
    >
    > I mean the skeletons popping out of half the barrels, of course!

    Yeah ;-). And from sacrophaguses too ;-).

    >>> Agreed. There clearly can be no more argument. The only defence
    >>> Diablo-haters can have is to claim that DiabloRL isn't a roguelike
    >>> either :>
    >>
    >> LOL ;-). Why would they? :-D
    >
    > DiabloRL is obviously not a roguelike. Look how close it is to
    > Diablo, and since that is not a roguelike, it cannot be one either!

    LOL^2 ;-)

    >> Well, DiabloRL supports that too. Unfoprtunately the last day
    >> invoking the Character screen from the Inventory screen went broken
    >> :-(. But you can still enter inventory from the Character Screen --
    >> try it ;-).
    >
    > Okay, you get partial credit. If I do 'c' then 'i', I can't hit 'c'
    > to drop the character screen but keep the inventory screen up. (Us
    > users are never satisfied.)

    Yup ;-). Third bug to fix for the next release (if there will be any...).
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)
    "Shadows universe is non-heroic, unfair, cruel and designed to start
    playing on your nerves and sanity." -- Anubis
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Jakub Debski wrote:
    > Dnia Mon, 14 Mar 2005 02:04:03 +0100, Kornel Kisielewicz napisa³(a):
    > I like the level generator. It produces quite large but interesting
    > maps.

    :-)

    > Monsters are too similar, but well, it's just a demo.

    It's just a 7DRL ;-).

    > Diablo like character progress works good.
    > A fun game :)

    Thanks :-D
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)
    "Shadows universe is non-heroic, unfair, cruel and designed to start
    playing on your nerves and sanity." -- Anubis
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    MMAgCh wrote:
    > Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    >
    >> So it came to be, that there was a great revolution within the
    >> burning hells... DiabloRL was born...
    >>
    >> Well folks, here it is -- my 7 day Roguelike. Written using
    >> GenRogue's Valkyrie Input/Output/GUI library. Consisting of 142KB of
    >> FreePascal source code (not including Valkyrie)... have fun. And
    >> tell me if you like it -- maybe a full version of DiabloRL will see
    >> daylight ;-).
    >>
    > As an old Diablo veteran, I have to give this a try. :)

    :-D

    > Just two quick questions for now: am I correct in that it currently
    > is not possible to repair or sell items? If so, I can safely dump
    > most of this junk. :)

    Unfortunately yes. hey, don't be so picky I had only 7 days! :-D

    > I definitely like what I've seen so far, though I do prefer the "real
    > thing". ;)

    If it would evolve I would probably add stuff that wasn't in the original...
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)
    "Shadows universe is non-heroic, unfair, cruel and designed to start
    playing on your nerves and sanity." -- Anubis
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    I remember a survey that showed an astonishing amount ( I was
    astonished ;) of people that use FreePascal. FreePascal to me at least
    brings back ye good old DOS days.

    T.
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Arthur J. O'Dwyer wrote:

    > In my game, I got attacked by plenty of "invisible monsters." But,
    > being a masochistic Nethack player, I liked it. The next best thing to
    > wandering monsters is wandering, invisible, invincible monsters! (The
    > way to beat them is to run away from that room very quickly.)

    My second game, just five minutes ago, I tried for a "quick dive"
    (before classes! ;) and got utterly trounced by plague eaters on
    level 2. But it was actually the "invisible" skeleton captain who did me
    in. Conclusion: DiabloRL does punish quick descents. This is a good
    thing, IMVHO.

    BTW, it's "sarcophagus" --- it "eats" dead things, not holy things. :)
    I can get you a list of all the misspellings, if you want. I had
    actually been going to 'strings' the executable and post a
    spelling-correcting patch for it, but... Isn't there /some/ way to
    turn off all that debugging stuff on your compiler? It must have an
    entire interpreter in there! 2M of stuff, and more than 10 percent of
    it is strings that are never used for anything. One of those even
    misspells "Keyboard" as "Keybaord".

    -Arthur
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    > ABCGi wrote:
    >
    >>Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    >>
    >>>ABCGi wrote:
    >>>I wanted to keep the Diablo-feel, just like I captured the
    >>>Doom-feel... But the mass-murder idea was from the never touched
    >>>Berserk Roguelike idea I had... Altough the latter had blood and
    >>>guts spilling everywhere... You can even see an easter egg related
    >>>to berserk in game ;-) .
    >>
    >>Have not found that yet... but very good that it worked out of the box
    >>on my Windows machine. Maybe not so good for Linux ppl...
    >

    > Aaah, I feel I'm kinda' hard on those Linux guys. I'm so impressed that many
    > people do go for a compromise and run DoomRL in a DosBox... I feel bad that
    > I didn't supply a Linux version yet :-(
    >

    >>>With that amount of work, I would rather spend that time working on a
    >>>graphical game ;-).
    >>
    >>Goto alt.ascii-art -> they will draw/find all the things you need...
    >>but true it's fluff not gameplay...
    >

    > Especialy that there are a lot mor roguelike and non-roguelike project ideas
    > I have... so many projects, so little time...
    >

    >>I love the round bubbles for health and mana.
    >

    > Yup, that was a MUST for this RL ;-).
    >

    >>>Quite a bit ;-).
    >>>Anyway, you say that I have a gift for conversion stuff... well, I'm
    >>>getting sick of converting now ;-). My next roguelike will be
    >>>something unusual. Either related to Shadows or something else....
    >>
    >>Something.... original?????!!!???? :) heaven forbid...
    >

    > *evil laughter* ;-)
    >

    >>Is any of this stuff going to be open source later? I could imagine it
    >>might be popular to work on as well as play...
    >

    > FreePascal? You think so? First I would need to publish Valkyrie tough.

    Oh I forgot about that... your the only programmer in the world using
    that so I guess open source is a waste of time ;D

    --
    ABCGi (geek) http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk S14 D15 C13 I17 W9 c12
    GCS/IT$/L/B$ d+(-) s: a? C++ ULUSU-- P+ L+>++ E- W++$ N+ o+ K--
    w+++(--)$ O- !M- V PS++(+) PE-@ Y+(++) PGP>++ t++ 5+ X R(+++) tv
    b++(+) DI++++ D+++ G e++>+++ h++(home office!) r++ y++* BAS-----
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    > So it came to be, that there was a great revolution within the burning
    > hells... DiabloRL was born...

    Love it! A suggestion...

    Quick-slot bar. There's room for a few potions or scrolls on the "----"
    bar on the lower edge of the screen. Associate them with numbers, and we
    won't have to open the inventory every time we wanted to drink a potion.
    And as a bonus, it'd include more of that Genuine Diablo feeling.

    I really want to see a more complete version of this. With repair and
    sell included, so I could afford those nice weapons.
  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Hey Kornel, nice work! If you release Valkyrie I'd use it ... I'm no
    sissy C++ user! ;-)

    If your isp has a semi low bandwidth limit check these guys out:
    http://freepgs.com/
    It's a one time payment for space, and domains are as per normal. I'm
    using it, and it's very good. No bandwidth issues. ;-)
  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    "Kornel Kisielewicz" <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> wrote in message
    > So it came to be, that there was a great revolution within the burning
    > hells... DiabloRL was born...
    >
    > Well folks, here it is -- my 7 day Roguelike. Written using GenRogue's
    > Valkyrie Input/Output/GUI library. Consisting of 142KB of FreePascal
    > source
    > code (not including Valkyrie)... have fun. And tell me if you like it --
    > maybe a full version of DiabloRL will see daylight ;-).
    >
    > Remember that this was made in 7 days -- it's very incomplete, and many
    > many
    > features are missing. It stil strives to be true to the original.
    >
    > Get it while it's hot:
    > http://chaos.magma-net.pl/diablo/
    >
    > There is just one class -- the Warrior.
    >
    > This version is based around the Diablo Demo Pre-Release version. Some of
    > the functionality is still missing tough. For example you can only "buy"
    > in
    > shops, and there's no magic (books, spells, staves) at all. The NPCs are
    > very incomplete (and some missing at all). You can talk wth them about the
    > Butcher tough ;-)
    >
    > There are only 4 levels of the Church to walk around, and the game ends
    > when
    > you kill the Butcher.
    >
    > After death the game leaves "mortem.txt" with the info about the dead (or
    > winning) character. You can post it on rec.games.roguelike.misc newsgroup
    > if
    > you wish, but please add a tag stating [DiabloRL] to the
    > topic.
    >
    > If I would (only if I get enough motivated by you ;-)) ever make a full
    > version it would have:
    >
    > -- the full range of Diablo items, monsters, uniques, prefixees and spells
    > -- catacombs, caves and hell -- each with a unique level generator
    > -- all the original Diablo quests with the original texts
    > -- all the hidden quest locations and uniques
    > -- additional quests that by Blizzard that didn''t appear in Diablo
    > -- full spell and missile weapon system
    > -- six classes -- Warrior, Mage, Rogue, Monk, Bard and Barbarian
    > -- maybe additional Hellfire content -- spells, items, quests, uniques.
    > -- Programmer''s edition -- how the author himself see''s the world of
    > Diablo
    > -- proper shops, and special rooms in dungeons
    >
    > Now, just somebody try to convince me, that Diablo wasn't a roguelike --
    > here's proof ;-).

    Well, played it again... finished this time.
    BTW:

    >> - I don't think anyone is ever going to be able to afford the Berserk
    >> Sword as is. :)

    >It wasn't intended to be buyable :-D. It's an easter egg -- I was reading
    >the Berserk Manga during the week that I wrote DRL, and couldn't resist
    >;-).

    It can on the other hand Drop! I enjoyed tooling around with it... I only
    found one decent armor (Quilted 10) and it broke a few rooms before the
    butcher.

    DiabloRL 7DRL PRERELEASE roguelike postmortem character dump

    Darden, level 9 warrior, killed the Butcher
    in Butcher's Hideout, after 2 turns.
    He scored 134532 points, killing 415 hellspawn.

    He advanced to level 9 gainging 49012 experience.
    He found 3089 gold coins.

    -- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

    Strength 50/50
    Magic 10/10
    Dexterity 20/20
    Vitality 45/45

    Life 126 Mana 18
    Armor 7 ToHit 60

    -- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

    [ Head ] nothing
    [ Neck ] nothing
    [ Torso ] nothing
    [ Weapon ] berserk sword (10-20) <--- Nice drop
    [ Shield ] buckler [3] <--- My 4th
    [ RRing ] nothing
    [ LRing ] nothing

    -- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

    potion of Full Healing
    potion of Full Healing
    club of disease (1-6)
    morning star of atrophy (1-10)
    cape of disease [2]
    small axe of vitality (2-10)
    scimitar of dexterity (3-7)
    buckler of quality [4]
    potion of Healing
    potion of Healing
    potion of Healing
    potion of Healing
    potion of Healing
    potion of Healing
    3089 gold coins

    Nicely done
    Danny
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    ABCGi wrote:
    >> FreePascal? You think so? First I would need to publish Valkyrie
    >> tough.
    >
    > Oh I forgot about that... your the only programmer in the world using
    > that so I guess open source is a waste of time ;D

    No, seriously ;-). Would you ever look at Pascal code ABCGi?
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)
    "Oh come on. We both know the truth about this game -- vapourware." --
    Anathiel about GenRogue
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    > ABCGi wrote:
    >
    >>>FreePascal? You think so? First I would need to publish Valkyrie
    >>>tough.
    >>
    >>Oh I forgot about that... your the only programmer in the world using
    >>that so I guess open source is a waste of time ;D
    >

    > No, seriously ;-). Would you ever look at Pascal code

    Perhaps. If I'd accidentally swallowed poison and needed to induce
    vomiting, I might.

  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    konijn_ wrote:
    > I remember a survey that showed an astonishing amount ( I was
    > astonished ;) of people that use FreePascal. FreePascal to me at least
    > brings back ye good old DOS days.

    A very incomplete point of view. In the possibilities FreePascal is not much
    behind C++ -- it is ported to almost all GNU C++ supported platforms, has
    dedicated libraries for many, and Lazarus (it's Delphi-like add-on) compiles
    under both Windows and Linux (or maybe also others). I also made a few
    graphics projects (SDL/OpenGL) and they didn't seem less efficient then
    C++...
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)
    "Oh come on. We both know the truth about this game -- vapourware." --
    Anathiel about GenRogue
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Hansjoerg Malthaner wrote:
    > Jeff Lait wrote::
    > It's sad that "like" doesn't include "inspired by". IMO Diablo is a
    > perfect mix of roguelike ideas with realtime, graphics, music and
    > multiplayer support.

    I second that,

    > When I played, the influences always have been apparent. For me it
    > was a "roguelike" in my rather generous interpretation of that word :)

    Well, DiabloRL is a proof that Diablo is a roguelike :-D. I used the *exact*
    same mechanics for DiabloRL that were used in Diablo (wonder if somebody
    noticed that).
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)
    "Oh come on. We both know the truth about this game -- vapourware." --
    Anathiel about GenRogue
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

    Arthur J. O'Dwyer wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    >>
    >> So it came to be, that there was a great revolution within the
    >> burning hells... DiabloRL was born...
    >
    > Very nice! I can actually play it without needing to consult a
    > manual at every step, which is a big plus. (When I tried Gearhead
    > last year, I was turned off by the initial complexity.)

    This turned me off too :-(. I still promise myself I will seriously go into
    GH someday. Ease of UI was always a high priority for me -- as you may have
    noticed DoomRL's UI is also quite straightforward.

    > In fact, it looks like the 'a' action key is only needed to close
    > doors at the moment,

    This was needed. But bloating the UI with additional commands for open/close
    seemed pointless.

    > and that's not much of a useful strategy when
    > you have no HP regeneration, anyway!

    It does help when you open a room and suddenly see more monsters than you
    can handle.

    > I got all the way to the end and was fighting the Butcher when the
    > game seemed to freeze; nothing I pressed made any difference. The
    > last line of output was "You miss the Butcher. The Butcher misses you."
    (or
    > something equivalent). I don't know exactly what happened before the
    > freeze...

    Ughhh, this is a realy fatal bug :-(. I'm sorry :-(. But as a good info --
    you won -- if you would look at mortem.txt afterward you would see the
    victorious characters stats.

    > this RL, in its present state, definitely encourages
    > mindless arrow-pushing to kill monsters.

    Which isn't bad. It's Diablo after all.

    > I like the monster distribution; it feels a lot like the original
    > Diablo demo in the way you have small groups of zombies, single or
    > large groups of skeletons, et cetera.

    :-)
    I'm happy someone noticed :-D

    > Monster AI could use some work. A few times, I intentionally
    > opened a bunch of doors between the same two rooms to see if the
    > monsters would try to surround me by coming out of two or three doors at
    once.
    > Nope. :( I would like to see a few "wandering monsters" when
    > you're traveling back through already-explored territory. It wouldn't be
    authentic,
    > but it's boring otherwise. :) Just a few skeletons or something to
    > keep the player alert.

    Monster AI is *very* stupid at this moment -- but hey it's a 7drl after all!

    > I like the town map a lot. Are the doors to houses ever going to
    > work? (I never figured out whether the houses in the Diablo demo were
    > enterable or not.)

    They didn't. But if I would ever continue working on it, I have an idea to
    add a few additional quests that would allow such a thing ;-).

    > The falchion and a high Str are just as overpowered in DiabloRL as
    > in the real thing. ;)

    True to the original :-D.
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)
    "Oh come on. We both know the truth about this game -- vapourware." --
    Anathiel about GenRogue
  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Arthur J. O'Dwyer wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Arthur J. O'Dwyer wrote:
    > My second game, just five minutes ago, I tried for a "quick dive"
    > (before classes! ;) and got utterly trounced by plague eaters on
    > level 2. But it was actually the "invisible" skeleton captain who did
    > me in. Conclusion: DiabloRL does punish quick descents. This is a good
    > thing, IMVHO.

    Uh, I need to fix that invisible monster bug :-(.

    > BTW, it's "sarcophagus" --- it "eats" dead things, not holy
    > things. :) I can get you a list of all the misspellings, if you want.

    If I decide to continue the game I would love to :-). Unfortunately as for
    now, nobody asked me (no e-mail, no post) for continuing it, so I'll rather
    focus on GenRogue, DoomRL and Starless.

    > I had actually been going to 'strings' the executable and post a
    > spelling-correcting patch for it, but... Isn't there /some/ way to
    > turn off all that debugging stuff on your compiler? It must have an
    > entire interpreter in there! 2M of stuff, and more than 10 percent of
    > it is strings that are never used for anything.

    Those strings are magic -- they are used to produce LineInfo backtrace
    information in case of a crash. And for me it's the difference between
    fixing a bug right after it's reported (when the Trace is included) and not
    fixing it at all. So as long as beta versions will come out they will always
    be bloated. A debug-info-stripped exe is about 400KB.

    > One of those even
    > misspells "Keyboard" as "Keybaord".

    Stupid me -- 8-) this is absolutely a typo.
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)
    "Oh come on. We both know the truth about this game -- vapourware." --
    Anathiel about GenRogue
  32. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Elethiomel wrote:
    > Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    >> So it came to be, that there was a great revolution within the
    >> burning hells... DiabloRL was born...
    >
    > Love it!

    :-D

    > A suggestion...
    >
    > Quick-slot bar. There's room for a few potions or scrolls on the
    > "----" bar on the lower edge of the screen. Associate them with
    > numbers, and we won't have to open the inventory every time we wanted
    > to drink a potion. And as a bonus, it'd include more of that Genuine
    > Diablo feeling.

    I had that planned :-). But actually there is not much space on the status
    bar :-/ -- it's used for armor/shield/weapon damage and level-up indicators.

    > I really want to see a more complete version of this. With repair and
    > sell included, so I could afford those nice weapons.

    Ok, you're the first :-D
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)
    "From what I've read, a lot of people believe that GenRogue exists and
    will be released some day" -- Arxenia Xentrophore
  33. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    > Elethiomel wrote:
    >
    >>Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    <snip>
    >>Quick-slot bar. There's room for a few potions or scrolls on the
    >>"----" bar on the lower edge of the screen. Associate them with
    >>numbers, and we won't have to open the inventory every time we wanted
    >>to drink a potion. And as a bonus, it'd include more of that Genuine
    >>Diablo feeling.
    > I had that planned :-). But actually there is not much space on the status
    > bar :-/ -- it's used for armor/shield/weapon damage and level-up indicators.

    I meant the line between the status bar and the playing field... the one
    that consists of dashes all the way through. A few quickslots could be
    built into this, I think, like;
    ----------[!]--[!]--[ ]--[%]-----------
    with colours of potions indicating what they are. Scrolls are more
    difficult to identify in a one-symbol slot though, so maybe restrict it
    to potions.

    >>I really want to see a more complete version of this. With repair and
    >>sell included, so I could afford those nice weapons.
    > Ok, you're the first :-D

    I don't think I'm the first to think it. I may be the first to say it,
    though.
  34. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Twisted One wrote:
    > Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    >> ABCGi wrote:
    >>> Oh I forgot about that... your the only programmer in the world
    >>> using that so I guess open source is a waste of time ;D
    >>
    >> No, seriously ;-). Would you ever look at Pascal code
    >
    > Perhaps. If I'd accidentally swallowed poison and needed to induce
    > vomiting, I might.

    Pelicular, that's what I use C++ code for ;-)
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)
    "Oh come on. We both know the truth about this game -- vapourware." --
    Anathiel about GenRogue
  35. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Elethiomel wrote:
    > Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    >> I had that planned :-). But actually there is not much space on the
    >> status bar :-/ -- it's used for armor/shield/weapon damage and
    >> level-up indicators.
    >
    > I meant the line between the status bar and the playing field... the
    > one that consists of dashes all the way through. A few quickslots
    > could be built into this, I think, like;
    > ----------[!]--[!]--[ ]--[%]-----------
    > with colours of potions indicating what they are. Scrolls are more
    > difficult to identify in a one-symbol slot though, so maybe restrict
    > it to potions.

    It would need to have it explained in the manual, which would destroy the
    clearness of the UI. But on the other hand, this would be an additional
    feature that wouldn't provide any game-benefit but play-benefit so it would
    probably be ok.

    >> Ok, you're the first :-D
    >
    > I don't think I'm the first to think it. I may be the first to say it,
    > though.

    We'll see :-D. Up to date, DiabloRL was downloaded 138 times, which is much
    less then DoomRL's almost 1000 (my ISP is going to kill me any day now for
    this bandwith overflow -- I never thought it would get this far ;-D).
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)
    "Oh come on. We both know the truth about this game -- vapourware." --
    Anathiel about GenRogue
  36. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    > ABCGi wrote:
    >
    >>>FreePascal? You think so? First I would need to publish Valkyrie
    >>>tough.
    >>
    >>Oh I forgot about that... your the only programmer in the world using
    >>that so I guess open source is a waste of time ;D
    >
    > No, seriously ;-). Would you ever look at Pascal code ABCGi?

    Perhaps, I did it in Uni and used Borland Turbo Pascal for quite a while
    back in those heady days!

    Respect to all the FreePascal peeps - love to your mamas...

    There should be a Pascal that is dot Net compatible, the idea being you
    use your preferred language to create the same compatible intermediate
    code... any plans to have an option to compile FreePascal into dot Net
    intermediate code?

    --
    ABCGi (geek) http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk S14 D15 C13 I17 W9 c12
    GCS/IT$/L/B$ d+(-) s: a? C++ ULUSU-- P+ L+>++ E- W++$ N+ o+ K--
    w+++(--)$ O- !M- V PS++(+) PE-@ Y+(++) PGP>++ t++ 5+ X R(+++) tv
    b++(+) DI++++ D+++ G e++>+++ h++(home office!) r++ y++* BAS-----
  37. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    ABCGi wrote:
    > There should be a Pascal that is dot Net compatible, the idea being you
    > use your preferred language to create the same compatible intermediate
    > code... any plans to have an option to compile FreePascal into dot Net
    > intermediate code?

    Why? .NET is a Microsoft thing, and hence inherently evil. Indeed, it's
    their latest attempt to take over the world is it not? Or at least the
    internet. All your personal information are belong to us, and so forth.

  38. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    ABCGi wrote:
    > There should be a Pascal that is dot Net compatible, the idea being
    > you use your preferred language to create the same compatible
    > intermediate code... any plans to have an option to compile
    > FreePascal into dot Net intermediate code?

    There is a plan to do that, cause Delphi 9 compiles to DotNET. Some crazy FP
    guy is also trying to make a JavaVM output all by himself ;-)
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)
    "Shadows universe is non-heroic, unfair, cruel and designed to start
    playing on your nerves and sanity." -- Anubis
  39. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Twisted One wrote:
    > ABCGi wrote:
    >
    >> There should be a Pascal that is dot Net compatible, the idea being
    >> you use your preferred language to create the same compatible
    >> intermediate code... any plans to have an option to compile FreePascal
    >> into dot Net intermediate code?
    >
    > Why? .NET is a Microsoft thing, and hence inherently evil. Indeed, it's
    > their latest attempt to take over the world is it not? Or at least the
    > internet. All your personal information are belong to us, and so forth.

    Agreed that MS is evil.

    In this case the .NET framework being able to support each persons
    preferred language (assuming the language compiler makers make a .NET
    version or option) is relevant.

    BTW: IMO PPL that snip short posts are also evil forum kiddies :)

    --
    ABCGi (geek) http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk S14 D15 C13 I17 W9 c12
    GCS/IT$/L/B$ d+(-) s: a? C++ ULUSU-- P+ L+>++ E- W++$ N+ o+ K--
    w+++(--)$ O- !M- V PS++(+) PE-@ Y+(++) PGP>++ t++ 5+ X R(+++) tv
    b++(+) DI++++ D+++ G e++>+++ h++(home office!) r++ y++* BAS-----
  40. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
    > ABCGi wrote:
    >
    >>There should be a Pascal that is dot Net compatible, the idea being
    >>you use your preferred language to create the same compatible
    >>intermediate code... any plans to have an option to compile
    >>FreePascal into dot Net intermediate code?
    >
    > There is a plan to do that, cause Delphi 9 compiles to DotNET. Some crazy FP
    > guy is also trying to make a JavaVM output all by himself ;-)

    Thought there might be... too many ppl with too much free time out
    there... and in here!!!

    :)

    --
    ABCGi (geek) http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk S14 D15 C13 I17 W9 c12
    GCS/IT$/L/B$ d+(-) s: a? C++ ULUSU-- P+ L+>++ E- W++$ N+ o+ K--
    w+++(--)$ O- !M- V PS++(+) PE-@ Y+(++) PGP>++ t++ 5+ X R(+++) tv
    b++(+) DI++++ D+++ G e++>+++ h++(home office!) r++ y++* BAS-----
  41. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 01:12:07 +0100, "Kornel Kisielewicz"
    <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> wrote:

    >If I decide to continue the game I would love to :-). Unfortunately as for
    >now, nobody asked me (no e-mail, no post) for continuing it, so I'll rather
    >focus on GenRogue, DoomRL and Starless.

    Starless? I don't believe I've seen you mention that one before.

    R. Dan Henry
    danhenry@inreach.com
  42. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:35:46 +0100, Hansjoerg Malthaner
    <hansjoerg.malthaner@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

    >Jeff Lait wrote::
    >
    >> DiabloRL is obviously not a roguelike. Look how close it is to Diablo,
    >> and since that is not a roguelike, it cannot be one either!
    >
    >I feel this is meant as a joke, but I want to add a few serious words:
    >
    >It's sad that "like" doesn't include "inspired by".

    Yes, then it can have a complete arbitrary and subjective meaning that
    has nothing to do with actual similarity.

    >IMO Diablo is a
    >perfect mix of roguelike ideas with realtime, graphics, music and
    >multiplayer support.

    It's a wonderful shooter (if you like that sort of thing) with a few
    ideas borrowed from dungeon crawls, including Angband influence, but
    little in common with Rogue.

    >When I played, the influences always have been apparent. For me it was a
    >"roguelike" in my rather generous interpretation of that word :)

    Sure, it is *influenced* by the roguelike genre. A computer basketball
    game is even more strongly influenced by basketball, but that doesn't
    make it a sport. Zangband's magic system was based on that in Master
    of Magic, which in turn borrowed from Magic: The Gathering, but that
    doesn't make Zangband a CCG.

    Nobody's denying that Diablo was influenced by roguelikes, but that
    doesn't make it one. Or is DoomRL an FPS?

    R. Dan Henry
    danhenry@inreach.com
  43. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    R. Dan Henry wrote:

    [snip]

    Jesus, man, where da heck did you learn diplomacy? Even Roosevelt was
    better than that, and his idea of diplomacy was to "speak softly and
    carry a big stick". (Looks like maybe he got his idea from a Mafia don
    or something.)

  44. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Hey Kornel,

    here is a whole truckload of encouragement!

    GO!
    GO!
    GO!

    I'm sure DiabloRL will be a huge success - as long as you don't get shot
    by a Blizzard Hit Squad for copyright infringement :-)

    'Beast
  45. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    I decided to try it after all of the good feedback...

    That is very, very, kewl. I can't wait to battle diablo down in the pits of
    hell... I never managed to do that in the real one

    Oh well, can't talk now. A certain butcher needs killing...

    "Kornel Kisielewicz" <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> wrote in message
    > So it came to be, that there was a great revolution within the burning
    > hells... DiabloRL was born...
    >
    > Well folks, here it is -- my 7 day Roguelike. Written using GenRogue's
    > Valkyrie Input/Output/GUI library. Consisting of 142KB of FreePascal
    > source
    > code (not including Valkyrie)... have fun. And tell me if you like it --
    > maybe a full version of DiabloRL will see daylight ;-).
    >
    > Remember that this was made in 7 days -- it's very incomplete, and many
    > many
    > features are missing. It stil strives to be true to the original.
    >
    > Get it while it's hot:
    > http://chaos.magma-net.pl/diablo/
    >
    > There is just one class -- the Warrior.
    >
    > This version is based around the Diablo Demo Pre-Release version. Some of
    > the functionality is still missing tough. For example you can only "buy"
    > in
    > shops, and there's no magic (books, spells, staves) at all. The NPCs are
    > very incomplete (and some missing at all). You can talk wth them about the
    > Butcher tough ;-)
    >
    > There are only 4 levels of the Church to walk around, and the game ends
    > when
    > you kill the Butcher.
    >
    > After death the game leaves "mortem.txt" with the info about the dead (or
    > winning) character. You can post it on rec.games.roguelike.misc newsgroup
    > if
    > you wish, but please add a tag stating [DiabloRL] to the
    > topic.
    >
    > If I would (only if I get enough motivated by you ;-)) ever make a full
    > version it would have:
    >
    > -- the full range of Diablo items, monsters, uniques, prefixees and spells
    > -- catacombs, caves and hell -- each with a unique level generator
    > -- all the original Diablo quests with the original texts
    > -- all the hidden quest locations and uniques
    > -- additional quests that by Blizzard that didn''t appear in Diablo
    > -- full spell and missile weapon system
    > -- six classes -- Warrior, Mage, Rogue, Monk, Bard and Barbarian
    > -- maybe additional Hellfire content -- spells, items, quests, uniques.
    > -- Programmer''s edition -- how the author himself see''s the world of
    > Diablo
    > -- proper shops, and special rooms in dungeons
    >
    > Now, just somebody try to convince me, that Diablo wasn't a roguelike --
    > here's proof ;-).
    > --
    > At your service,
    > Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)
    > My opinions are my own. Share them at your own risk.

  46. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 19:16:58 +0100, Christian Pohl wrote:

    > I'm sure DiabloRL will be a huge success - as long as you don't get shot
    > by a Blizzard Hit Squad for copyright infringement :-)

    Aye, watch out: in winter you won't even notice them before they're
    knocking on your door.
  47. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    Aki Rossi .-- .-. --- - . ---...

    > On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 19:16:58 +0100, Christian Pohl wrote:
    >
    >> I'm sure DiabloRL will be a huge success - as long as you don't get shot
    >> by a Blizzard Hit Squad for copyright infringement :-)
    >
    > Aye, watch out: in winter you won't even notice them before they're
    > knocking on your door.

    Especially as there is quite a lot of snow in Poland now. Blizzard can
    strike anytime ;)

    --
    Loonie
    ---------------------------------------
    Respondit Pilatus quod scripsi scripsi.
    http://www.crawl.webpark.pl
  48. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    R. Dan Henry wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 01:12:07 +0100, "Kornel Kisielewicz"
    > <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> wrote:
    >
    >> If I decide to continue the game I would love to :-). Unfortunately
    >> as for now, nobody asked me (no e-mail, no post) for continuing it,
    >> so I'll rather focus on GenRogue, DoomRL and Starless.
    >
    > Starless? I don't believe I've seen you mention that one before.

    *evil grin* ;-)
    Starless is not a roguelike. It will be a game in the tradition of Frontier
    with a huge amount of roguelike concepts in it (permadeath, randomness,
    random quests, etc...). Well "it will"... Or will not.
    --
    At your service,
    Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)
    "Come on, Kornel. 11 years and no binary? And it's not vapourware?"
    -- Mike Blackney
  49. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:16:58 +0100, "Kornel Kisielewicz"
    <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> wrote:

    >R. Dan Henry wrote:
    >> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 01:12:07 +0100, "Kornel Kisielewicz"
    >> <kisielewicz@gazeta.pl> wrote:
    >>
    >>> If I decide to continue the game I would love to :-). Unfortunately
    >>> as for now, nobody asked me (no e-mail, no post) for continuing it,
    >>> so I'll rather focus on GenRogue, DoomRL and Starless.
    >>
    >> Starless? I don't believe I've seen you mention that one before.
    >
    >*evil grin* ;-)
    >Starless is not a roguelike.

    Ah.

    >It will be a game in the tradition of Frontier
    >with a huge amount of roguelike concepts in it (permadeath, randomness,
    >random quests, etc...). Well "it will"... Or will not.

    That would be more informative if I knew what Frontier was and that
    isn't a very Google-friendly name. Got a good URL I can check to see
    what you're talking about?

    R. Dan Henry
    danhenry@inreach.com

Games Video Games