[DiabloRL] DiabloRL Pre-Release -- the 7 day roguelike ;-)

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

So it came to be, that there was a great revolution within the burning
hells... DiabloRL was born...

Well folks, here it is -- my 7 day Roguelike. Written using GenRogue's
Valkyrie Input/Output/GUI library. Consisting of 142KB of FreePascal source
code (not including Valkyrie)... have fun. And tell me if you like it --
maybe a full version of DiabloRL will see daylight ;-).

Remember that this was made in 7 days -- it's very incomplete, and many many
features are missing. It stil strives to be true to the original.

Get it while it's hot:
http://chaos.magma-net.pl/diablo/

There is just one class -- the Warrior.

This version is based around the Diablo Demo Pre-Release version. Some of
the functionality is still missing tough. For example you can only "buy" in
shops, and there's no magic (books, spells, staves) at all. The NPCs are
very incomplete (and some missing at all). You can talk wth them about the
Butcher tough ;-)

There are only 4 levels of the Church to walk around, and the game ends when
you kill the Butcher.

After death the game leaves "mortem.txt" with the info about the dead (or
winning) character. You can post it on rec.games.roguelike.misc newsgroup if
you wish, but please add a tag stating [DiabloRL] to the
topic.

If I would (only if I get enough motivated by you ;-)) ever make a full
version it would have:

-- the full range of Diablo items, monsters, uniques, prefixees and spells
-- catacombs, caves and hell -- each with a unique level generator
-- all the original Diablo quests with the original texts
-- all the hidden quest locations and uniques
-- additional quests that by Blizzard that didn''t appear in Diablo
-- full spell and missile weapon system
-- six classes -- Warrior, Mage, Rogue, Monk, Bard and Barbarian
-- maybe additional Hellfire content -- spells, items, quests, uniques.
-- Programmer''s edition -- how the author himself see''s the world of
Diablo
-- proper shops, and special rooms in dungeons

Now, just somebody try to convince me, that Diablo wasn't a roguelike --
here's proof ;-).
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> So it came to be, that there was a great revolution within the
burning
> hells... DiabloRL was born...

Most exciting!

> This version is based around the Diablo Demo Pre-Release version.
Some of
> the functionality is still missing tough. For example you can only
"buy" in
> shops, and there's no magic (books, spells, staves) at all. The NPCs
are
> very incomplete (and some missing at all). You can talk wth them
about the
> Butcher tough ;-)

Now that was a clever idea on how to bound the work necessary!

This made me nostalgic for the original Diablo. I remember playing the
demo trying to get to the Butcher.

You have done your usual attention to detail with this remake. The
health globes are nicely rendered. You didn't skimp with the 'i' or
'c' options (More roguelikes should use those sort of menus, if you
ask me. Why hide the action just to bring up the inventory?)

And, it was nice to see the barrels properly represented.

> There are only 4 levels of the Church to walk around, and the game
ends when
> you kill the Butcher.

I managed to reach the Butcher's Lair and got promptly slaughtered by
some shadow beasts. Worse yet, I still had healing potions on my
inventory. The shame!

> Now, just somebody try to convince me, that Diablo wasn't a roguelike
--
> here's proof ;-).

Agreed. There clearly can be no more argument. The only defence
Diablo-haters can have is to claim that DiabloRL isn't a roguelike
either :>

Some nitpicking bugs:
1) I get occasional: "The zombie misses!" when I am in a hallway by
myself.
2) Didn't Diablo support having both 'c' and 'i' menus up at the same
time?
3) Usual collection of typos. s/som/son/, for example. s/Lifes/Life/.
4) I don't think I ever found something in a chest. Did I miss
something?
--
Jeff Lait

"Jeff Lait" <torespondisfutile@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>> So it came to be, that there was a great revolution within the
> burning
>> hells... DiabloRL was born...
>
> Most exciting!

Interesing, must download...

>> This version is based around the Diablo Demo Pre-Release version.
> Some of
>> the functionality is still missing tough. For example you can only
> "buy" in
>> shops, and there's no magic (books, spells, staves) at all. The NPCs
> are
>> very incomplete (and some missing at all). You can talk wth them
> about the
>> Butcher tough ;-)

Downloaded, started, nice.

> 4) I don't think I ever found something in a chest. Did I miss
> something?
My first medium chest popped two gold piles...

Back to playing :)
Danny

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> Jeff Lait wrote:
> > Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> >> So it came to be, that there was a great revolution within the
> >> burning hells... DiabloRL was born...
> >
> > Most exciting!
>
> :-D. I told you I was *insane* ;-).

> > This made me nostalgic for the original Diablo. I remember playing
> > the demo trying to get to the Butcher.
>
> So did I while writing the DiabloRL Demo... I didn't manage to do
that ;-).

> > You have done your usual attention to detail with this remake. The
> > health globes are nicely rendered. You didn't skimp with the 'i'
or
> > 'c' options (More roguelikes should use those sort of menus, if
you
> > ask me. Why hide the action just to bring up the inventory?)
>
> Yeah, the only disadvantage is that you have little space for the
inventory.
> In GenRogue tough I designed even a more evil approach...
>
> > And, it was nice to see the barrels properly represented.
>
> ? You mean ?
> (Yeah, I know I add barrels to every game ;-D)

I mean the skeletons popping out of half the barrels, of course!

> >> Now, just somebody try to convince me, that Diablo wasn't a
> >> roguelike -- here's proof ;-).
> >
> > Agreed. There clearly can be no more argument. The only defence
> > Diablo-haters can have is to claim that DiabloRL isn't a roguelike
> > either :>
>
> LOL ;-). Why would they? :-D

DiabloRL is obviously not a roguelike. Look how close it is to Diablo,
and since that is not a roguelike, it cannot be one either!

> > 2) Didn't Diablo support having both 'c' and 'i' menus up at the
same
> > time?
>
> Well, DiabloRL supports that too. Unfoprtunately the last day
invoking the
> Character screen from the Inventory screen went broken :-(. But you
can
> still enter inventory from the Character Screen -- try it ;-).

Okay, you get partial credit. If I do 'c' then 'i', I can't hit 'c' to
drop the character screen but keep the inventory screen up. (Us users
are never satisfied.)

> > 4) I don't think I ever found something in a chest.
> > Did I miss something?
>
> Maybe a RNG issue...

Yes, it seems I was just unlucky. Others have reported finding stuff
in chests.
--
Jeff Lait

Jeff Lait wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>> So it came to be, that there was a great revolution within the
>> burning hells... DiabloRL was born...
>
> Most exciting!

:-D. I told you I was *insane* ;-).

> This made me nostalgic for the original Diablo. I remember playing
> the demo trying to get to the Butcher.

So did I while writing the DiabloRL Demo... I didn't manage to do that ;-).

> You have done your usual attention to detail with this remake. The
> health globes are nicely rendered. You didn't skimp with the 'i' or
> 'c' options (More roguelikes should use those sort of menus, if you
> ask me. Why hide the action just to bring up the inventory?)

Yeah, the only disadvantage is that you have little space for the inventory.
In GenRogue tough I designed even a more evil approach...

> And, it was nice to see the barrels properly represented.

? You mean ?
(Yeah, I know I add barrels to every game ;-D)

>> There are only 4 levels of the Church to walk around, and the game
>> ends when you kill the Butcher.
>
> I managed to reach the Butcher's Lair and got promptly slaughtered by
> some shadow beasts. Worse yet, I still had healing potions on my
> inventory. The shame!

The monsters in Butcher's Lair aren't easy. In the orignal spells would come
in handy. Here unfortunately you don't have them :-(.

>> Now, just somebody try to convince me, that Diablo wasn't a
>> roguelike -- here's proof ;-).
>
> Agreed. There clearly can be no more argument. The only defence
> Diablo-haters can have is to claim that DiabloRL isn't a roguelike
> either :>

LOL ;-). Why would they? :-D

> Some nitpicking bugs:
> 1) I get occasional: "The zombie misses!" when I am in a hallway by
> myself.

Uh, Wierd. I'll check that.

> 2) Didn't Diablo support having both 'c' and 'i' menus up at the same
> time?

Well, DiabloRL supports that too. Unfoprtunately the last day invoking the
Character screen from the Inventory screen went broken :-(. But you can
still enter inventory from the Character Screen -- try it ;-).

> 3) Usual collection of typos. s/som/son/, for example.
> s/Lifes/Life/.

Kheh ;-) Okay...

> 4) I don't think I ever found something in a chest.
> Did I miss something?

Maybe a RNG issue...
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)
"The name of GenRogue, has become a warning against excessively complex
design." -- RGRD FAQ

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Dnia Mon, 14 Mar 2005 02:04:03 +0100, Kornel Kisielewicz napisa³(a):
> Well folks, here it is -- my 7 day Roguelike. Written using GenRogue's
> Valkyrie Input/Output/GUI library. Consisting of 142KB of FreePascal source
> code (not including Valkyrie)... have fun. And tell me if you like it --
> maybe a full version of DiabloRL will see daylight ;-).

I like the level generator. It produces quite large but interesting maps.
Monsters are too similar, but well, it's just a demo.
Diablo like character progress works good.

A fun game :)

regards,
Jakub
--
"We're just toys in the hands of Xom"
xenocide.e-plan.pl - SF roguelike in development

Jeff Lait wrote::

> DiabloRL is obviously not a roguelike. Look how close it is to Diablo,
> and since that is not a roguelike, it cannot be one either!

I feel this is meant as a joke, but I want to add a few serious words:

It's sad that "like" doesn't include "inspired by". IMO Diablo is a
perfect mix of roguelike ideas with realtime, graphics, music and
multiplayer support.

When I played, the influences always have been apparent. For me it was a
"roguelike" in my rather generous interpretation of that word :)

Some people asked how to avoid savefile scumming. Diablo II on
battle.net (hardcore mode) shows a possible answer: the savefiles are on
the server, and apparently safe from all hacking attempts. Death is
final, items and attributes can't be hacked. The clients don't send such
data back to the server so hacking the client or imüplanting a proxy in
the connection won't help either.

Hardcore mode (=permadeath) is quite common among players, it seems.

--
c.u. Hajo

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Hansjoerg Malthaner .-- .-. --- - . ---...

> Jeff Lait wrote::
>
>> DiabloRL is obviously not a roguelike. Look how close it is to Diablo,
>> and since that is not a roguelike, it cannot be one either!
>
> I feel this is meant as a joke, but I want to add a few serious words:
> It's sad that "like" doesn't include "inspired by". IMO Diablo is a
> perfect mix of roguelike ideas with realtime, graphics, music and
> multiplayer support.

AFAIK it's quite common to refer Diablo as a definition of "slash'em" game
where player is concentrated on killing creatures, almost like in 3D
shooters, but with some amount of character (skills, attributes)
development and inventory decisions, that are represented in 3d shooters
usually only by weapons. They have a very simple plot and they lack RPG
interacions with NPCs. When not talking about multimedia it seems that most
roguelikes are more complicated than that.

> When I played, the influences always have been apparent. For me it was a
> "roguelike" in my rather generous interpretation of that word :)
>
> Some people asked how to avoid savefile scumming. Diablo II on
> battle.net (hardcore mode) shows a possible answer: the savefiles are on
> the server, and apparently safe from all hacking attempts. Death is
> final, items and attributes can't be hacked. The clients don't send such
> data back to the server so hacking the client or imüplanting a proxy in
> the connection won't help either.
>
> Hardcore mode (=permadeath) is quite common among players, it seems.

I don't suppose so. Development of Diablo II decent character takes a lot
of time; losing it all due to some moment of weakness\disregard is very
painful. Spending next 10 hours beginning from the scratch is not a
favourite way of one's fun IMO. Diablo II punishes death with losing of
money and you need to get back your items, unless you quit the game. It's
sufficient for a game where character way-of-playing depend mostly on class
and are quite similar way all the time for given class, as well as
non-random quests. That's why I think replaying Diablo II is not
interesting, ergo permadeath also. I'm not sure if 'hardcore' character
doesn't get some bonus from the game, except prestige from other players
and player himself.

--
Loonie
Violence is not an option - American History X

Daniel Morris wrote:
> "Jeff Lait" <torespondisfutile@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>>
>>>So it came to be, that there was a great revolution within the
>>
>>burning
>>
>>>hells... DiabloRL was born...
>>
>>Most exciting!
>>

> Interesing, must download...
>

>>>This version is based around the Diablo Demo Pre-Release version.
>>
>>Some of
>>
>>>the functionality is still missing tough. For example you can only
>>
>>"buy" in
>>
>>>shops, and there's no magic (books, spells, staves) at all. The NPCs
>>
>>are
>>
>>>very incomplete (and some missing at all). You can talk wth them
>>
>>about the
>>
>>>Butcher tough ;-)
>>

> Downloaded, started, nice.
>

>>4) I don't think I ever found something in a chest. Did I miss
>>something?
>
> My first medium chest popped two gold piles...
>
> Back to playing :)
> Danny

Fantastic idea, best of the 7DRL I've tried so far.

I like the move toward gameplay of lots of enemies, lots of damage, need
lots of health potions... a different feel to normal RL's, very Diablo,
and doesn't ruin the game (even though my instincts would normally
suggest otherwise).

I would like to see part of the screen devoted to showing an ASCII art
of the closest monsters and its state, with its name underneath - just
to add flavour. The chest and stuff are great. This ASCII art section
could also show pictures of opened chests etc... this might also be nice
for characters you meet in town - all in ASCII of course - ala the Doom
characters.

A DOS box on windows could go bigger than your current size, as it plays
in about 1/4 of my usual resolution :) Thus making room for a display
area to the right.

Please do continue to develop a version of this, you really have a gift
for this conversion stuff! I wonder about how much stuff you can do at
once though ;)

--
ABCGi (geek) http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk S14 D15 C13 I17 W9 c12
GCS/IT$/L/B$ d+(-) s: a? C++ ULUSU-- P+ L+>++ E- W++$ N+ o+ K--

ABCGi wrote:
> Daniel Morris wrote:
>> Back to playing :)
>> Danny
>
> Fantastic idea, best of the 7DRL I've tried so far.
>
> I like the move toward gameplay of lots of enemies, lots of damage,
> need lots of health potions... a different feel to normal RL's, very
> Diablo, and doesn't ruin the game (even though my instincts would
> normally suggest otherwise).

I wanted to keep the Diablo-feel, just like I captured the Doom-feel... But
the mass-murder idea was from the never touched Berserk Roguelike idea I
had... Altough the latter had blood and guts spilling everywhere... You can
even see an easter egg related to berserk in game ;-) .

> I would like to see part of the screen devoted to showing an ASCII art
> of the closest monsters and its state, with its name underneath - just
> to add flavour. The chest and stuff are great. This ASCII art section
> could also show pictures of opened chests etc... this might also be
> nice for characters you meet in town - all in ASCII of course - ala
> the Doom characters.

With that amount of work, I would rather spend that time working on a
graphical game ;-).

> Please do continue to develop a version of this, you really have a
> gift for this conversion stuff! I wonder about how much stuff you can
> do at once though ;)

Quite a bit ;-).
Anyway, you say that I have a gift for conversion stuff... well, I'm getting
sick of converting now ;-). My next roguelike will be something unusual.
Either related to Shadows or something else....
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)
"The name of GenRogue, has become a warning against excessively complex
design." -- RGRD FAQ

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Kornel Kisielewicz .-- .-. --- - . ---...

>> I would like to see part of the screen devoted to showing an ASCII art
>> of the closest monsters and its state, with its name underneath - just
>> to add flavour. The chest and stuff are great. This ASCII art section
>> could also show pictures of opened chests etc... this might also be
>> nice for characters you meet in town - all in ASCII of course - ala
>> the Doom characters.
>
> With that amount of work, I would rather spend that time working on a
> graphical game ;-).

I guess it's possible to take a screenshot and get it ASCII-ed by some
clever program (however AFAIR screenshots from Diablo didn't work on my
system).

--
Loonie
---------------------------------------

In article <14lga94vtysi4.dlg@Loonie.pl.fr>, Loonie wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz .-- .-. --- - . ---...
>>> I would like to see part of the screen devoted to showing an ASCII art
>>> of the closest monsters and its state, with its name underneath - just
>>> to add flavour. The chest and stuff are great. This ASCII art section
>>> could also show pictures of opened chests etc... this might also be
>>> nice for characters you meet in town - all in ASCII of course - ala
>>> the Doom characters.
>> With that amount of work, I would rather spend that time working on a
>> graphical game ;-).
> I guess it's possible to take a screenshot and get it ASCII-ed by some
> clever program (however AFAIR screenshots from Diablo didn't work on my
> system).

http://sam.zoy.org/projects/libcaca/

If you download VLC (http://www.videolan.org/) you can even watch videos in
real-time ASCII :)

Loonie

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2001
Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Paul Murray .-- .-. --- - . ---...

> In article <14lga94vtysi4.dlg@Loonie.pl.fr>, Loonie wrote:
>> Kornel Kisielewicz .-- .-. --- - . ---...
>>> With that amount of work, I would rather spend that time working on a
>>> graphical game ;-).
>> I guess it's possible to take a screenshot and get it ASCII-ed by some
>> clever program (however AFAIR screenshots from Diablo didn't work on my
>> system).
>
> http://sam.zoy.org/projects/libcaca/
>
> If you download VLC (http://www.videolan.org/) you can even watch videos in
> real-time ASCII :)

Really nice piece of software, and the images are great, however in some
high-res ASCII.

--

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:

>So it came to be, that there was a great revolution within the burning
>hells... DiabloRL was born...
>
>Well folks, here it is -- my 7 day Roguelike. Written using GenRogue's
>Valkyrie Input/Output/GUI library. Consisting of 142KB of FreePascal source
>code (not including Valkyrie)... have fun. And tell me if you like it --
>maybe a full version of DiabloRL will see daylight ;-).

As an old Diablo veteran, I have to give this a try. :)

Just two quick questions for now: am I correct in that it currently is not
possible to repair or sell items? If so, I can safely dump most of this
junk. :)

I definitely like what I've seen so far, though I do prefer the "real
thing". ;)

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.misc,rec.games.roguelike.development (More info?)

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:

> So it came to be, that there was a great revolution within the burning
> hells... DiabloRL was born...

Very nice! I can actually play it without needing to consult a manual
at every step, which is a big plus. (When I tried Gearhead last year,
I was turned off by the initial complexity.)
In fact, it looks like the 'a' action key is only needed to close doors
at the moment, and that's not much of a useful strategy when you have
no HP regeneration, anyway!

I got all the way to the end and was fighting the Butcher when the game
seemed to freeze; nothing I pressed made any difference. The last line
of output was "You miss the Butcher. The Butcher misses you." (or
something equivalent). I don't know exactly what happened before the
freeze... this RL, in its present state, definitely encourages mindless
arrow-pushing to kill monsters. You just get your opponent in a doorway
so you can't be surrounded, and then whale away at him. All that can go
wrong is if your weapon breaks or your HP drops below about 15.

I like the monster distribution; it feels a lot like the original Diablo
demo in the way you have small groups of zombies, single or large groups
of skeletons, et cetera.
Monster AI could use some work. A few times, I intentionally opened a
bunch of doors between the same two rooms to see if the monsters would
try to surround me by coming out of two or three doors at once. Nope. :(
I would like to see a few "wandering monsters" when you're traveling
back through already-explored territory. It wouldn't be authentic, but
it's boring otherwise. :) Just a few skeletons or something to keep the
player alert.

I like the town map a lot. Are the doors to houses ever going to work?
(I never figured out whether the houses in the Diablo demo were enterable
or not.)

The falchion and a high Str are just as overpowered in DiabloRL as in
the real thing. ;)

In my game, I got attacked by plenty of "invisible monsters." But,
being a masochistic Nethack player, I liked it. The next best thing to
wandering monsters is wandering, invisible, invincible monsters! (The
way to beat them is to run away from that room very quickly.)

-Arthur

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>>Daniel Morris wrote:
>>
>>>Back to playing :)
>>>Danny
>>
>>Fantastic idea, best of the 7DRL I've tried so far.
>>
>>I like the move toward gameplay of lots of enemies, lots of damage,
>>need lots of health potions... a different feel to normal RL's, very
>>Diablo, and doesn't ruin the game (even though my instincts would
>>normally suggest otherwise).
>
> I wanted to keep the Diablo-feel, just like I captured the Doom-feel... But
> the mass-murder idea was from the never touched Berserk Roguelike idea I
> had... Altough the latter had blood and guts spilling everywhere... You can
> even see an easter egg related to berserk in game ;-) .

Have not found that yet... but very good that it worked out of the box
on my Windows machine. Maybe not so good for Linux ppl...

>>I would like to see part of the screen devoted to showing an ASCII art
>>of the closest monsters and its state, with its name underneath - just
>>to add flavour. The chest and stuff are great. This ASCII art section
>>could also show pictures of opened chests etc... this might also be
>>nice for characters you meet in town - all in ASCII of course - ala
>>the Doom characters.
>
> With that amount of work, I would rather spend that time working on a
> graphical game ;-).

Goto alt.ascii-art -> they will draw/find all the things you need... but
true it's fluff not gameplay...

I love the round bubbles for health and mana.

>>Please do continue to develop a version of this, you really have a
>>gift for this conversion stuff! I wonder about how much stuff you can
>>do at once though ;)
>

> Quite a bit ;-).
> Anyway, you say that I have a gift for conversion stuff... well, I'm getting
> sick of converting now ;-). My next roguelike will be something unusual.
> Either related to Shadows or something else....

Something.... original?????!!!???? :) heaven forbid...

Is any of this stuff going to be open source later? I could imagine it
might be popular to work on as well as play...

--

ABCGi wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>> ABCGi wrote:
>> I wanted to keep the Diablo-feel, just like I captured the
>> Doom-feel... But the mass-murder idea was from the never touched
>> Berserk Roguelike idea I had... Altough the latter had blood and
>> guts spilling everywhere... You can even see an easter egg related
>> to berserk in game ;-) .
>
> Have not found that yet... but very good that it worked out of the box
> on my Windows machine. Maybe not so good for Linux ppl...

Aaah, I feel I'm kinda' hard on those Linux guys. I'm so impressed that many
people do go for a compromise and run DoomRL in a DosBox... I feel bad that
I didn't supply a Linux version yet :-(

>> With that amount of work, I would rather spend that time working on a
>> graphical game ;-).
>
> Goto alt.ascii-art -> they will draw/find all the things you need...
> but true it's fluff not gameplay...

Especialy that there are a lot mor roguelike and non-roguelike project ideas
I have... so many projects, so little time...

> I love the round bubbles for health and mana.

Yup, that was a MUST for this RL ;-).

>> Quite a bit ;-).
>> Anyway, you say that I have a gift for conversion stuff... well, I'm
>> getting sick of converting now ;-). My next roguelike will be
>> something unusual. Either related to Shadows or something else....
>
> Something.... original?????!!!???? :) heaven forbid...

*evil laughter* ;-)

> Is any of this stuff going to be open source later? I could imagine it
> might be popular to work on as well as play...

FreePascal? You think so? First I would need to publish Valkyrie tough.
--

Jeff Lait wrote:
>> ? You mean ?
>> (Yeah, I know I add barrels to every game ;-D)
>
> I mean the skeletons popping out of half the barrels, of course!

Yeah ;-). And from sacrophaguses too ;-).

>>> Agreed. There clearly can be no more argument. The only defence
>>> Diablo-haters can have is to claim that DiabloRL isn't a roguelike
>>> either :>
>>
>> LOL ;-). Why would they? :-D
>
> DiabloRL is obviously not a roguelike. Look how close it is to
> Diablo, and since that is not a roguelike, it cannot be one either!

LOL^2 ;-)

>> Well, DiabloRL supports that too. Unfoprtunately the last day
>> invoking the Character screen from the Inventory screen went broken
>> :-(. But you can still enter inventory from the Character Screen --
>> try it ;-).
>
> Okay, you get partial credit. If I do 'c' then 'i', I can't hit 'c'
> to drop the character screen but keep the inventory screen up. (Us
> users are never satisfied.)

Yup ;-). Third bug to fix for the next release (if there will be any...).
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)
"Shadows universe is non-heroic, unfair, cruel and designed to start
playing on your nerves and sanity." -- Anubis

Jakub Debski wrote:
> Dnia Mon, 14 Mar 2005 02:04:03 +0100, Kornel Kisielewicz napisa³(a):
> I like the level generator. It produces quite large but interesting
> maps.

:)

> Monsters are too similar, but well, it's just a demo.

It's just a 7DRL ;-).

> Diablo like character progress works good.
> A fun game :)

Thanks :-D
--

MMAgCh wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>
>> So it came to be, that there was a great revolution within the
>> burning hells... DiabloRL was born...
>>
>> Well folks, here it is -- my 7 day Roguelike. Written using
>> GenRogue's Valkyrie Input/Output/GUI library. Consisting of 142KB of
>> FreePascal source code (not including Valkyrie)... have fun. And
>> tell me if you like it -- maybe a full version of DiabloRL will see
>> daylight ;-).
>>
> As an old Diablo veteran, I have to give this a try. :)

:-D

> Just two quick questions for now: am I correct in that it currently
> is not possible to repair or sell items? If so, I can safely dump
> most of this junk. :)

Unfortunately yes. hey, don't be so picky I had only 7 days! :-D

> I definitely like what I've seen so far, though I do prefer the "real
> thing". ;)

If it would evolve I would probably add stuff that wasn't in the original...
--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl)
"Shadows universe is non-heroic, unfair, cruel and designed to start
playing on your nerves and sanity." -- Anubis

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

I remember a survey that showed an astonishing amount ( I was
astonished ;) of people that use FreePascal. FreePascal to me at least
brings back ye good old DOS days.

T.

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Arthur J. O'Dwyer wrote:

> In my game, I got attacked by plenty of "invisible monsters." But,
> being a masochistic Nethack player, I liked it. The next best thing to
> wandering monsters is wandering, invisible, invincible monsters! (The
> way to beat them is to run away from that room very quickly.)

My second game, just five minutes ago, I tried for a "quick dive"
(before classes! ;) and got utterly trounced by plague eaters on
level 2. But it was actually the "invisible" skeleton captain who did me
in. Conclusion: DiabloRL does punish quick descents. This is a good
thing, IMVHO.

BTW, it's "sarcophagus" --- it "eats" dead things, not holy things. :)
I can get you a list of all the misspellings, if you want. I had
actually been going to 'strings' the executable and post a
spelling-correcting patch for it, but... Isn't there /some/ way to
turn off all that debugging stuff on your compiler? It must have an
entire interpreter in there! 2M of stuff, and more than 10 percent of
it is strings that are never used for anything. One of those even
misspells "Keyboard" as "Keybaord".

-Arthur

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>>Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>>
>>>ABCGi wrote:
>>>I wanted to keep the Diablo-feel, just like I captured the
>>>Doom-feel... But the mass-murder idea was from the never touched
>>>Berserk Roguelike idea I had... Altough the latter had blood and
>>>guts spilling everywhere... You can even see an easter egg related
>>>to berserk in game ;-) .
>>
>>Have not found that yet... but very good that it worked out of the box
>>on my Windows machine. Maybe not so good for Linux ppl...
>

> Aaah, I feel I'm kinda' hard on those Linux guys. I'm so impressed that many
> people do go for a compromise and run DoomRL in a DosBox... I feel bad that
> I didn't supply a Linux version yet :-(
>

>>>With that amount of work, I would rather spend that time working on a
>>>graphical game ;-).
>>
>>Goto alt.ascii-art -> they will draw/find all the things you need...
>>but true it's fluff not gameplay...
>

> Especialy that there are a lot mor roguelike and non-roguelike project ideas
> I have... so many projects, so little time...
>

>>I love the round bubbles for health and mana.
>

> Yup, that was a MUST for this RL ;-).
>

>>>Quite a bit ;-).
>>>Anyway, you say that I have a gift for conversion stuff... well, I'm
>>>getting sick of converting now ;-). My next roguelike will be
>>>something unusual. Either related to Shadows or something else....
>>
>>Something.... original?????!!!???? :) heaven forbid...
>

> *evil laughter* ;-)
>

>>Is any of this stuff going to be open source later? I could imagine it
>>might be popular to work on as well as play...
>

> FreePascal? You think so? First I would need to publish Valkyrie tough.

Oh I forgot about that... your the only programmer in the world using
that so I guess open source is a waste of time ;D

--

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> So it came to be, that there was a great revolution within the burning
> hells... DiabloRL was born...

Love it! A suggestion...

Quick-slot bar. There's room for a few potions or scrolls on the "----"
bar on the lower edge of the screen. Associate them with numbers, and we
won't have to open the inventory every time we wanted to drink a potion.
And as a bonus, it'd include more of that Genuine Diablo feeling.

I really want to see a more complete version of this. With repair and
sell included, so I could afford those nice weapons.

Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.development,rec.games.roguelike.misc (More info?)

Hey Kornel, nice work! If you release Valkyrie I'd use it ... I'm no
sissy C++ user! ;-)

If your isp has a semi low bandwidth limit check these guys out:
http://freepgs.com/
It's a one time payment for space, and domains are as per normal. I'm
using it, and it's very good. No bandwidth issues. ;-)