Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

As an occasional Angband player (and VERY occasional winner), I was
looking for a roguelike for my nice new Nokia 6260 and found Dweller.
This game has far exceeded what i thought might be possible on a mobile
Java platform and I must congratulate Bjorn on a job well done.
However, there seem to be a few fundamental differences between Dweller
and Angband, and I wondered if there is a FAQ, UserGuide or gameplay
guide to help me on my way. Movement etc are no problem, but it's
equipment/inventory slots, magic system, item classes, ID'ing, use of
money, town level (??) and so forth i need some help with.

Anything and everything much appreciated.

Tigpup

neil@ramsay.name wrote:
> As an occasional Angband player (and VERY occasional winner), I was
> looking for a roguelike for my nice new Nokia 6260 and found Dweller.
> This game has far exceeded what i thought might be possible on a mobile
> Java platform and I must congratulate Bjorn on a job well done.
> However, there seem to be a few fundamental differences between Dweller
> and Angband, and I wondered if there is a FAQ, UserGuide or gameplay
> guide to help me on my way. Movement etc are no problem, but it's
> equipment/inventory slots, magic system, item classes, ID'ing, use of
> money, town level (??) and so forth i need some help with.
>
> Anything and everything much appreciated.

Hi Neil,

I'm the author of Dweller. At the moment there is no FAQ or userguide or
anything, but here is a brief introduction:

STATS
Your character has Attack, Defence, Magic and Speed plus HP and MP.

Attack determines chance of doing damage in melee and the amount of
damage done
Defence determines chance of avoiding damage inflicted in combat.

Attack, Defence and some random number juggling are set against each
other in melee combat to determine chance of success and amount of
damage inflicted.

If damage is inflicted the amount is deducted from your HP. Once HP
reaches 0 your dead. Use potions of Healing to regain HP.

Magic indicates both chance of successfully using magic items and how
well your character resists magic attacks from monsters. Some magic
items use MP when used. When MP reaches 0 you can no longer use magic.
Use potions of Recharging to regain MP.

Speed determines the time it takes for your character to perform all
actions. Dweller doesn't use a strict turnbased time system as Angband.
Your character can for instance be 1.432 times as fast a Goblin given a
certain speed.

INVENTORY/EQUIPMENT
There are several kinds of items in Dweller, most of which are useful
for the player. Once an item is picked up it can be used by the player
either by equipping it (armour, boots, rings etc) or by directly using
it (potions, scrolls, wands etc). Equipped items modify the player
stats. When an item is selected in the inventory the modifications on
the player's stats can be seen at the bottom of the screen. It could
look something like this:

1 ] Small shield
>1 ( Broad sword
2 ! Weak Potion of Healing

( 6/3/-1/-2

The numbers at the bottom tells you that the Broad Sword gives +6 in
Attack, +3 in Defence, -1 in Magic and -2 in Speed.

The character has the following equipment slots:

Melee weapon
Ranged weapon
Ammo
Shield,
Armour,
Boots,
Helmet,
Ring,
Amulet

Gold is currently of no value and all items are auto ID'd.

--
Björn Bergström
roguelike development [http://roguelikedevelopment.org]

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Björn Bergström wrote:

<...snip...>
> When an item is selected in the inventory the modifications on
> the player's stats can be seen at the bottom of the screen. It could
> look something like this:
>
> 1 ] Small shield
> >1 ( Broad sword
> 2 ! Weak Potion of Healing
>

> ( 6/3/-1/-2
>
> The numbers at the bottom tells you that the Broad Sword gives +6 in
> Attack, +3 in Defence, -1 in Magic and -2 in Speed.
>
> The character has the following equipment slots:
>
> Melee weapon
> Ranged weapon
> Ammo
> Shield,
> Armour,
> Boots,
> Helmet,
> Ring,
> Amulet
>
> Gold is currently of no value and all items are auto ID'd.

Thanks for the info Björn, especailly the above.

I can now develop a gameplan!

First main difference for me is that hit points do not recover with
resting. This will require a fundamental rethink in how i normally
play.

Once again, thanks for a great game that should make my train journey
to work more bearable! Nokia's 'snake' has become rather dull recently.

Best Regards,

Tigpup.