GRGIII

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
I am planning to build a linux machine and I want to do a RAID 1 setup with IDE drives.

Anyone have any suggestions? Hardware vs Software? Compatability with Linux?

Thanks!

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
If you setup the array through hardware, you should have no problem with Linux. I am not sure Linux supports the creating of softwar arrays, but if it does you shouldn't have a problem with that either.

Remember, there's no such thing as a stupid question. Just stupid people.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Linux does support software raid, but hardware is always better.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
Yup, hardware is better - but NOT the cheap promise/highpoint fake-raid. It's actually done in software, and the binary drivers limit your kernel choices (eg no updates). There is an "ataraid" kenel module, but it's still got some maturing to do, if you value your data security.

If you're thinking about IDE RAID, go with <A HREF="http://www.3ware.com" target="_new">3ware</A>. 3ware is pretty fast, and has had good linux support for years.

If you're on a tight budget, go with Linux software RAID. Also, if you have a cheap promise/highpoint controller, disable BIOS RAID mode, and use Linux software raid.

<i>Do I look like I care?</i>