Sign in with
Your question

Issue with system restore

Last response: in Windows 7
May 4, 2010 3:35:00 PM

Hi, a new user of windows 7. I've used system restore before and know that windows will delete older restore points once the space allocated for restore points fill up... however, Windows seems to be deleting 2-3 restore points every 10 days or so without me having added newer points (so there was space for the restore points, windows 7 deletes one, two or sometimes all anyway and leaves me one that it created itself named "automatic restore point")...

I read that the default period of time for restore points to 'die' is 90 days, so that's not it either. What's happening?

More about : issue system restore

a b $ Windows 7
May 4, 2010 4:57:29 PM

How much space is left on your hard drive? Maybe there isn't enough room left to store that much on it.

m
l
May 4, 2010 5:03:44 PM

10 gb., There is space, since last time I checked these restore points were sitting there happily... no new restore points were made between then and now to take up their space.

This is the first time it made an ''automatic restore point". ALL of the other points are gone. Before, one or two points would disappear for no reason (as said, no new points made to take up its space.).
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
May 4, 2010 5:48:30 PM

Have you checked to see what the System Protection set up is configured as? Remember, this has to be set up for each drive and I can't remember what the default setting is, but you have to at least 300 MB of disk space on the System volume to save restore points (which you have 10 gigs, so you're good there).

Still, you can set it to a certain percentage to save files, up to 100 percent. What do you have this set as?

Go to Start->Control Panel->System and Security->System->System Protection and see how it's set up. Ensure it's turned on on the drive(s) you want protection to occur on. To configure System Protection for a volume, select the volume in the dialog box that is up and click on the Configure button. From there, look and see what the restore settings are set up as. There are three options:

• Restore system settings and previous versions of files
  • Only restore previous versions of files
  • Turn off system protection

Below that is Disk Space Usage. What might be happening is you have it set low that it has to start dumping older restore points. I think that is what is happening.
    m
    l
    May 4, 2010 7:12:28 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but checking it, I see that I have 2 percent of my harddrive reserved for system restore points, which amounts to 10 gb. Only 1.57 gb for that is in use now. The thing is, at no point did the amount of restore points take up too much space for 2-3 to be deleted at random times. This does not seem a space setting issue...
    m
    l
    May 4, 2010 8:48:20 PM

isamuelson said:
    Are you dual booting? There is a known problem that when you dual boot, it will erase restore points:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185/en-us

There are ways to get around it:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/127417-system-restore...

Now, this was under Vista, but Windows 7 basically IS Vista, so the "bug" could still be present.

Nope, not dual booting either. Some others suggested it might be some software deleting these restore points. I'm trying anything right now.
    m
    l
    !